Adorbs

No MSAA

KweesKwees Junior MemberPosts: 6Registered Users
edited May 2011 in Total War: Shogun 2
ok so after almost 2 months of waiting for anti aliasing it turns out that only direct x11 users get it. My card has up to directx 10, and all i get is MLAA, which although i suppose does make the graphics a little crisper, it does absolutley nothing to get rid of the one thing i hate most - those horrible jaggid edges plaguing my screen :P
Am I missing something here? I remember anti aliasing in games way back before direct x9... must i really buy a new card just to enable this setting?
Post edited by Kwees on

Comments

• alQamaralQamar Banned Posts: 1,904Banned Users
    edited May 2011
    hi some msaa modes a preserved with use of DX10.1 or DX 11

otherwise plz check your preferences config in %appdata% the creative assembly Total War Shogun 2 make a copy of it and delete it. he should then reset all your settings. pm me if questions.
  • KintanoKintano Senior Member Posts: 189Registered Users
    edited May 2011
    It certainly is a little odd, since higher AA was already a feature of the oh-so-outdated Dx9. I'm fine with the Dx10 settings, but a bit more AA wouldn't be bad either.
    edited May 2011
    btw. MLAA supercedes MSAA by lenghts. if you everheard about supersampling (nvidia) or morphological antialiasing (AMD) thats the same new feature with different terms on the vendors.

i checked your issue: set mlaa then set the shader model. msaa is available for selection then.
  • TobyTheRobotTobyTheRobot Member Posts: 87Registered Users
    edited May 2011
    I was screaming this at the top of my lungs two months ago when the game was released and the patch was first announced. Pretty unbelievable, right?

And do you know what the explanation is? Apparently if they supported MSAA for DX9 cards they wouldn't be able to use soft shadowing. So to make shadows look slightly better for DX11 cards they removed MSAA for over half of their customers.

BTW, here's a video of what soft shadowing looks like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0eZEdpsgjk#t=01m20s

There. That's why over 50% of cards won't support MSAA.
  • jimmy44jimmy44 Senior Member Posts: 217Registered Users
    edited May 2011
    Yea whats going on? I dont have MSAA either and I have top of the range NVIDIA card?
  • jimmy44jimmy44 Senior Member Posts: 217Registered Users
    edited May 2011
    i checked your issue: set mlaa then set the shader model. msaa is available for selection then.[/QUOTE]

No it isn't - I've tried that and I still can't get MSAA.
  • GuardianOfBlindGuardianOfBlind Senior Member Posts: 947Registered Users
    edited May 2011
    It is no wonder they make games for maximum settings now unfortunately.

Like, if RTW looked good on High, average on Medium, and not-so-good on Low settings, then Napoleon or Empire looked ugly under anything other than Ultra.

I had my old PC and had to play them on Medium, and I was surprised how ugly they looked, was like big step back after Medieval 2 which looked great.

Now when I got new PC for Shogun 2 and tried Empire and NTW again on max, I see they are actually very beatutiful. Made me think the graphics were made for being used at full potential.
    edited May 2011
    what shader model do you use? what dx version screenshot appreciated
  • KintanoKintano Senior Member Posts: 189Registered Users
    edited May 2011
    It says that MSAA is only available for shader version 4.1 and 5, which is pretty silly, since as far as I know, it should work with 4 as well.

Could be wrong though.
  • TobyTheRobotTobyTheRobot Member Posts: 87Registered Users
    edited May 2011
    Kintano wrote: »
    It says that MSAA is only available for shader version 4.1 and 5, which is pretty silly, since as far as I know, it should work with 4 as well.

Could be wrong though.

Nope. You're exactly right. And they were making shader model 4.0 cards as early as 2 years ago. if you bought one of those, then you will never get MSAA unless you upgrade. enjoy looking at vast fields of jaggy ashigaru spears.

but there's good news! those of us with shader model 5.0 cards can enjoy shadows that look 5% better.
  • KweesKwees Junior Member Posts: 6Registered Users
    edited May 2011
    aye, wont let me select shader model 4.1 or 5 so i cant go for MSAA :/
    strange though... i admit my gfx card isnt one of the latest, but it can run the game on full ultra settings on 1920x1080 very well, only thing i want is this **** MSAA and this game will be near perfect for me >:D
  • Yoram777Yoram777 Junior Member Posts: 7Registered Users
    edited May 2011
    What's even weirder is, my card does support it and i tried both MSAA x8 and MLAA on shader model 5 and i dont see any difference?
    It's still as jaggy as without AA :confused:
  • TheCuchulainnTheCuchulainn Member Posts: 72Registered Users
    edited May 2011
    Yoram777 wrote: »
    What's even weirder is, my card does support it and i tried both MSAA x8 and MLAA on shader model 5 and i dont see any difference?
    It's still as jaggy as without AA :confused:

Same here. I get shader model 4.1 and crank up the MSAA as high as i can and all it does is lag my game. If there is a difference it sure as heck aint worth the lag. What i was looking forward to was the water. There was a video i saw on Youtube awhile ago with some british guy talking about the game and the water looked as real as i have ever seen in a game. Thats what I wanted from this patch but no luck
    Fortuna vitrea est; tum cum splendet frangitur!
  • Jace11Jace11 Member Posts: 38Registered Users
    edited May 2011
    Wow, they havent configured cards properly

Basically I set everything sm5, ultra, msaa and click the tick, game crashes and my gfx.log looks like this....

Downgrading, Over budget by 715 MB
    Downgraded Anti-Aliasing to 3
    Downgraded Anti-Aliasing to 2
    Downgraded Anti-Aliasing to 1
    Disabled Anti-Aliasing
    Disabled Depth of Field
    Downgraded Shadows to 3
    Downgraded Shadows to 2
    Disabled HDR
    Downgraded Sky Options to 2
    Downgraded Water Details to 2
    Disabled Distortion
    Downgraded Texture Quality to 2

LOL! 715MB overbudget at the menu screen. My card had 756MB fgxRam is dx11 capable and runs games twice as graphically complex as this with relative ease.

This on the main menu screen without even playing a battle or campaign. Useless QA process, this overbudget thing was present before patch. A lots of cards are working ok but a fair few models have been completely neglected or wrongly configured. My directx11 card seems to be one of them.
  • Yoram777Yoram777 Junior Member Posts: 7Registered Users
    edited May 2011
    we were discussing this at twc too.

Try turning your textures on high instead of ultra, there seems to be some conflict with ultra textures and AA.
    edited May 2011
    it says it. correct.technically i dont see a good reason for it. if you have the possibility try mlaa for better visual quality at lower costs compared to MS(AA)
    edited May 2011
    Jace11 wrote: »
    Wow, they havent configured cards properly

Basically I set everything sm5, ultra, msaa and click the tick, game crashes and my gfx.log looks like this....

Downgrading, Over budget by 715 MB
    Downgraded Anti-Aliasing to 3
    Downgraded Anti-Aliasing to 2
    Downgraded Anti-Aliasing to 1
    Disabled Anti-Aliasing
    Disabled Depth of Field
    Downgraded Shadows to 3
    Downgraded Shadows to 2
    Disabled HDR
    Downgraded Sky Options to 2
    Downgraded Water Details to 2
    Disabled Distortion
    Downgraded Texture Quality to 2

LOL! 715MB overbudget at the menu screen. My card had 756MB fgxRam is dx11 capable and runs games twice as graphically complex as this with relative ease.

This on the main menu screen without even playing a battle or campaign. Useless QA process, this overbudget thing was present before patch. A lots of cards are working ok but a fair few models have been completely neglected or wrongly configured. My directx11 card seems to be one of them.

this might be wrong view: the over bugdet belongs to over budgeting the graphics ram in the benchmark mode, and the suggestions of the game to correct this, preventing lags. in other case he would have to order your ordinary ram to process textures, nothings faster than gpu ram atm (DDR5).
  • DingoDingo Senior Member Posts: 338Registered Users
    edited May 2011
    Just go into the configuration file and edit the video ram setting: enter 2147483648 (that's 2GB). That did the trick for my GTX560. Running MLAA and everything @ultra + all special effects (just DOF on low, cause it looks better that way imho). Benchmark with game settings shows about 40FPS (560 is overclocked).