Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Getting rich...

hexagonalboltshexagonalbolts Registered Users Posts: 16
Hi all,

I'm struggling with the campaign mode as a few different factions. My problems seem to mostly revolve around money.

I almost always need multiple armies - most castles need a 2 stack to take them on and with a one stack the enemy just seem to run around your army and take your settlements.

As soon as I start fielding multiple lords then I quickly end up only earning about 2k gold each turn which, with all the building options in the cities, I always end up spending instantly.

I'm wondering if I'm playing the game wrong. Perhaps I should be looting cities more frequently? How often do you loot / take a city?
Tagged:

Comments

• thesniperdevilthesniperdevil Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,929
    You need to sack more, and use raiding stance when possible.

Often its totally worth sacking a town, then occupying/ raising it after just to get a load of cash!
  • YulliYulli Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 21
    Use sacking income on city upgrades, while city generated income foes to unit upkeep. This way u dnt have to worry about being +500 per turn since u can generate income by raiding... I use this in almost every TW game lol.
  • az88az88 Registered Users Posts: 3,073
    edited May 2016
    I think most people run multiple stacks for specific campaigns, then run them down once they've achieved their objectives.

I very rarely sack settlements after the early game, but I only run armies when I need them.

Saying that, I'm Dwarfs, and so I can actually now support a dozen 20 stacks because of how strong the Dwarf economy is.

With each race, some places are more economically important than others. Marienburg and Mount Gunbad spring to mind as obvious ones. Both can support a full stack of their respective factions troops on their own and are easy to defend. They are game changers.
  • SnotfaceSnotface Member Registered Users Posts: 753
    So far i've only played Greenskins and I find i'm quite happy to run a negative income. The money i get from constant battles and sacking is huge and more than makes up for it. But that might just be orcs.

I have most of the badlands and im running 6 stacks, i don't know if that's a lot.
    Wyvern's is good fer one thing, eatin' smashin' smellin' and flyin.'
  • YulliYulli Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 21
    edited May 2016
    Not really sure why u guys have so many full stacks. As VC owning only west sylv and east sylv im easily num 1 power, with 2 full n 1, 1/2 defense army, even num 2 who is green skins, they ripped apart dwaefs and consolidated with zhufbar arent a match. 6 seems excessive unles ur at war woth every nation u border.
  • SnotfaceSnotface Member Registered Users Posts: 753
    Yeah well i've not played vamps yet so may be a different play style.

For orcs it seems more is better so long as there are lands to sack, each army is making its money back and more so no reason not to have them.
    Wyvern's is good fer one thing, eatin' smashin' smellin' and flyin.'
  • az88az88 Registered Users Posts: 3,073
    edited May 2016
    Yulli said:

Not really sure why u guys have so many full stacks. As VC owning only west sylv and east sylv im easily num 1 power, with 2 full n 1, 1/2 defense army, even num 2 who is green skins, they ripped apart dwaefs and consolidated with zhufbar arent a match. 6 seems excessive unles ur at war woth every nation u border.

I am in the middle of the main Chaos incursion (just killed Archeon a bit ago and now he's back). I have nearly fully united Karaz Ankor and there were Norse tribes and Savage orcs in the badlands and Vampires in Bretonnia.

12 stacks was about right.
  • SrPasoSrPaso Registered Users Posts: 20
    edited May 2016
    Heres a tip that works wonders for me when confronting walled settlements with an army on it. Deploy a lone general and betwen him and the castle your army on ambush mode. The AI can't resist the chance to gang bang your lonely maiden general. Works every time.
  • hexagonalboltshexagonalbolts Registered Users Posts: 16

Heres a tip that works wonders for me when confronting walled settlements with an army on it. Deploy a lone general and betwen him and the castle your army on ambush mode. The AI can't resist the chance to gang bang your lonely maiden general. Works every time.

Too funny.
    Also, ALWAYS build walls on your settlements, this way the AI needs 2 armies to take it, so you can mostly use your armies on the offensive. I'm playing as the empire atm on hard and I just play it more on the defensive. Make use of your joint armies/garrison to destroy enemy armies, and after that go and take their settlements. Also make use of your allies, set targets for them to attack.
    edited May 2016
    Last. Again. As the empire. Build the weaver building as much as you can. But don't rush to build the tier 3, as it only provides an upgrade of 125 ore per turn and as such it takes about 20 turns to pay the investment. And level up ports. They give a ton of Money.
  • unclespammunclespamm Registered Users Posts: 21
    I run an income of about +30k, and trust me, you will always feel like there is never enough money even on turn 210 as vampire counts
  • mw51630mw51630 Member Registered Users Posts: 2,197
    edited May 2016
    I just confederated as Dwarfs, doubled my territory, doubled my armies, and then realized I was in running deficits.

So I pulled a stunt and said, "If I can't afford to pay 'em, then they die en masse in reckless wars!"

So I'm currently just tramping around, merging hurt units and looting until my units are done to manageable levels.
    Post edited by BillyRuffian on
  • Mikewill13Mikewill13 Registered Users Posts: 62
    I never loot cities, but my VC campaign is extremely rich with 9 20 stack elite armies. They key is finding balance in armies and economy. Conquer as much as you can to support more armies, it's not too complicated.
  • bli-nkbli-nk Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 5,841
    edited May 2016
    The expansion from 1 army to 3 armies is tough if you don't loot. After that though with 2 offensive armies and 1 defensive the game is far easier until a Waaagh! or Chaos invasions as you can pick your enemies and build up steadily.

As Greenskins with 70% of the Badlands on turn 100 income is about 21,000 per turn- 11,000 after upkeep for 3.5 armies. Though I just lost my first battle in awhile... first batch of 4 Arachnoraks, 4 giants, and 4 Big Un Boar riderz and several Black Orcs were moving to trade units with a more veteran army and Thorgrimm came out of the souther Badlands and the final Dwarf settlement with all silver and gold Chevron army... high XP Thunderers tear apart single monsters fast.
    Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence in society.” Mark Twain
  • Mr_Finley7Mr_Finley7 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 8,343

I never loot cities, but my VC campaign is extremely rich with 9 20 stack elite armies. They key is finding balance in armies and economy. Conquer as much as you can to support more armies, it's not too complicated.

how many territories do you have? Ive got 4 elite stacks and im only making like 7k a turn, probably only enough for a couple more armies
  • SwordtongueSwordtongue Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 57
    I've only played as the Dwarfs so far, which I've heard on the forums is easiest to get rich with. While I haven't played other factions I'll agree with the Dwarfs it's really quite easy. Just solidify your starting province, then confederate with the dwarfs to your SW so you get a port building, make a couple trade agreements, level up your resource producing buildings (mines, dye production, etc.). The rest is just being wise with how you use your armies. I only needed 2 armies through my entire campaign against the Greenskins because I used the lvl 2 defense upgrade on my settlements giving me walls everywhere I needed them so I didn't need many armies. I've wiped out all the orks just in time for Chaos to come. So far Chaos have been much much more of a problem for me because their artillery absolutely annihilates my line before they even get there, and I don't have gyrocopters yet to take them out. (Why are gyrocopters a tier 5 unit? It makes Dwarfs have to just take enemy artillery bombardment on the chin until they route the rest of the army) It makes me sad because I just got iron breakers and the Chaos artillery absolutely shred them lol.

But I digress, back to economy. I confederated with the dwarf tribes to my north as well so I control the entire Eastern part of the map as well as all the badlands so all of the South. When Chaos came it made diplomacy really easy with the humans and trade agreements become a snap to get. So I'm making 20k income per turn now even with 3 full stack elite dwarf armies. I would probably be making more if I could have researched mine upgrades instead of tech for getting rid of Chaos/Vampire aids. The 20k goes really fast though because I'm basically putting all my provinces on growth steroids by putting a growth building in every settlement in every province so I can hit the end tier stuff faster. So every turn I have at least 3 settlements that I need to upgrade a main building, besides the regular building upgrades. I just lost my Legendary Slayer lord and all of his elite troops in a battle in the north due to artillery, as mentioned above. So quickly getting another army up is also draining that. Thank goodness I put heavy defenses on all my northern settlements, as my High King was at the very most southern part of the map with my other full stack army finishing off the orks when Chaos came. It's taking a while to bring him all the way up/updating his army with higher tier units before facing the Chaos hordes.