Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

User Info RequiredReally strange windows key thing - fps boost. (Possible Affinity/Priority Issue)

DaktDakt MemberRegistered Users Posts: 57
edited June 2016 in Performance & Graphics
Okey.. I know it sounds silly...
I don't know what causes this issue but you have to bellieve me that it really happens.
Here's the deal. When I load a saved game (1st loading after starting the program) i have like 48-54 fps on campaign map but after I'll go to my desktop few times it goes from those number to 70/80 fps.
My screen flickers fast few times and comes back to the game with a higher framerate.
I really don't know what causes this boost but it seems like something isn't loading properly when you're starting the game.
Also what I've found it happens in battles too. When my framerate drops from 60/70 to 40/50 I just do the thing few times and it comes back to 70.
I know that it sounds silly but bellieve me. I'm really shocked by this thing. That's the first time when I came across such thing.
I'm aware that it's a very little amount of information but I just want to point this thing so someone a little bit more competent can dig deeper into this problem.

v1.0.0 Build 9738.876614

EDIT: Proof

Well... It's really bizarre.
Is someone else experiencing this?
Geforce GTX 780 3gb gaming edition
i7 4770K 3.5
16 gb RAM
Mainboard Z87-G45 Gaming
Op. system: Windows 10 64
Post edited by Dakt on

Comments

• doinwork34doinwork34 Technical Moderator Colorado, USRegistered Users, Moderators, Tech Moderators Posts: 2,893
    This same "fix" or bug happened with Rome 2 I believe. I think it may have something to do with the affinity or priority of programs running. For some reason alt tabbing or using the windows key to go back into the game may change its affinity allowing it priority to system resources.

Im not saying this is the issue, but it sounds a lot like it
    Good to go for Rome II! CPU: i5 3570k @ 4.0ghz GPU: GTX 760 4gb @1215MHz-RAM: 8GB1600 Ballistix TracerPSU: Corsair HX750w
  • DaktDakt Member Registered Users Posts: 57
    edited May 2016
    The problem is that it won't fix this issue every time.
    I've managed to manually change priority/run as administrator/change affinity - no result.
    It seems like it's a random thing.
    Also what I've found is that when I keep the game minimalized for some time it'll also boost the framerate.
    I don't know what's the issue but it's really frustrating that it won't allow my PC to work as it should :(
    The engine itself seems to be optimized very well but this thing just brings me down.
    I just hope that it's easy to fix and the team will look into it (and that it'll happen soon :) )
    i7 4770K 3.5
    16 gb RAM
    Mainboard Z87-G45 Gaming
  • HellozLHellozL Member Registered Users Posts: 89
    "optimized very well" lol :D
    edited May 2016
    OFFTOPIC:
    HellozL said:

"optimized very well" lol :D

I don't know if I made some grammar mistake (what is more than plausible) and it's funny or that in your opinion the engine is not optimized.
    If it's the first thing - sorry ;] if it's the second one - I don't have any major problems (as for now) despite this one.
    (Well Greenskinz part of the campaign map seems to be more demanding then the Empires one but it's not such a big deal for now)
    It definatelly runs much smoother than Attila and Rome II (as for Rome - on it's release date.) :)
    i7 4770K 3.5
    16 gb RAM
    Mainboard Z87-G45 Gaming
    CA. Is your support team aware of this issue?
    i7 4770K 3.5
    16 gb RAM
    Mainboard Z87-G45 Gaming
  • Groene_TheeGroene_Thee Registered Users Posts: 16
    Sounds like a memory leak ,somewhere.
    edited June 2016
    CA. What kind of info do you need?
    I can see that user info is required but i don't know what else can I include.
    I thought that I have included everything according to your pattern
    Waiting for your reply.
    i7 4770K 3.5
    16 gb RAM
    Mainboard Z87-G45 Gaming
    edited June 2016
    I'm a patient man. I really am...
    It's nearly a month without even a single response.
    I understand that I'm the one of many and I won't get an instant help what's obvious but also understad that I'm the one of many who bought this game.
    I would really appreciate a single "We're working on it. Stay tuned". Nothing more (if this wasn't a lie obviously).
    It's another game that came out under your brand that has major problems with compatibility, performance, utilizing resources etc. - you name it.
    I know that it's hard to make a game that works with every system especially when there's such a variety of parts nowadays but if other companies manage to optimize their games why you can't?
    I think that your problem as a company is the lack of competition.
    Maxis and EA also were concerned about them being special.
    They thought that they're "the one and only" with the Simcity series and boom... Cities Skylines happened.
    Learn from it. I mean it.
    i7 4770K 3.5
    16 gb RAM
    Mainboard Z87-G45 Gaming
  • zipzopboopzipzopboop Registered Users Posts: 3
    Ah!! I am running a GTX 960m and I have the same issue, except the frame rate boost only stays for a second most of the time.
    edited June 2016

Ah!! I am running a GTX 960m and I have the same issue, except the frame rate boost only stays for a second most of the time.

Check if you have windowed mode turn on.
    If it's turned on "the fix" doesn't work
    By the way thanks for the reply.
    It's good to know that I'm not the only one having such an issue.

i7 4770K 3.5
    16 gb RAM
    Mainboard Z87-G45 Gaming
    If anyone still follows this thread - patch fixed nothing.
    I don't know if they don't even bother to fix this or they don't know how to fix this.
    At least they know how to chop the game into DLC's... They surelly do...
    i7 4770K 3.5
    16 gb RAM
    Mainboard Z87-G45 Gaming
  • TyrannikaTyrannika Registered Users Posts: 10
    After reading your post I fiddled with core affinity a bit, just wondering what was going and for me disabling the 8th core on my 6990k bumped my FPS by about ~ 15 and limited how much i was getting spiky frames.

I'm assuming it's not fully optimized for 8 or more cores, but I can't be entirely sure, but tw:w was only using ~0.5% of my 8th core (Core 7) while pretty evenly distributing the load onto the other cores, after setting the affinity, there was more gross usage, which tells me it was trying to send to "Core 7" but was getting hung up somehow.

I had a similar "fix" when playting Arma3, as it didn't do well with multicore support, the annoying part is the TW Launcher, as (I believe, though am not sure just yet) you can't use a cmd shortcut to set core affinity as it is setting the affinity for the launcher instead of the game. This means that to get that fps boost, you'd have to set core affinity manually every time you launch the game.

As with all PC fixes, YMMV.

Cheers.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file