Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Azhag crap starting units

WudgluWudglu MemberDa BadlandsPosts: 395Registered Users
Originally posted this in the suggestions thread, but I'll also post it here for more to notice.

When selecting your Legendary Lord as the Greenskins, Azhag starts with units much more inferior to the ones of Grimgor Ironhide.

Azhag starts with Orc Big'uns, Goblin Spider Rider and Goblin Archer.
Grimgor starts with Black Orcs, Boar Boyz and the Doom Diver catapult.

Big'uns are good, but not much more than an Orc boy upgrade. Black Orcs however are the best Orc infantry unit, able to go toe-toe with all other infantry units in the game. The Big'un is thus compared to the Black orc, a mediocre choice.

The Goblin Spider Rider and Boar Boyz could be evenly matched. I haven't used the Spider Riders that much, but I haven't really noticed their effectiveness yet. Boar Boyz however are shock cavalry, and thus excellent with the Big'uns or Black Orcs.

Now comes the real shocker. Azhga gets the Goblin archer, Grimgor the Doom Diver. The latter is the highest of high end unit with extreme range and accuracy that in most games, kills at least 150 models; sometimes, often, more! In the meantime, the Goblin archer you can essentially recruit right from the start of the game, and even loses out to the Orc Arrer Boyz which you can get on turn two.

I suggest changing this up, to make Azhag more appealing.

Original thread: https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/176214/azhag-crap-starting-units?new=1

Comments

• Sonny228Sonny228 Member Posts: 98Registered Users
    I agree, I would think Azhga would have the doom diver while grimgore may have some trolls.
  • az88az88 Posts: 3,065Registered Users
    Grimgor also gets that magic banner, to make his Black Orcs into super soldiers.

Azhag doesn't need them, though, because he's da greatest.
  • petertel123petertel123 Junior Member Posts: 737Registered Users
    the non-faction leader lords seem to be a lot weaker in general, Gelt in particular seemed really underpowered to me
    Team Bretonnia
    Team Dark Elves
  • bronhomsbronhoms Posts: 1,328Registered Users
    he's got spirit leech, what more do you want

• DeuzerreDeuzerre Member Posts: 939Registered Users
    Not at the start, at best at turn 20
  • GlytheGlythe Member Posts: 115Registered Users
    edited May 2016
    Azhag has the most difficult start of any commander.

Every single other commander has either artillery or an end tier unit. I already made a post about this in the balancing area.

That archer should really be something like a Giant.

But that wouldn't make sense for his quest armor because you have to recruit a giant as part of his chain

As a side note I believe you cannot complete the quest for his armor if you choose an orc shaman from the pop up IF you try to use a shaman mounted on a boar. Using one not mounted seems to work just fine.
  • corythackstoncorythackston Posts: 67Registered Users
    Yeah I agree that Grimgor should probably not get the Doom Diver, and it should be given to Azhag instead. In the Lore, Grimgor pretty much killed all the goblins in his warband instead of keeping them around after his army lost a fight, so he probably wouldn't want them around anyway. Azhag is a much more clever orc thanks to his crown, and would see the value in a unit like the Doom Diver. I think Azhag should get something like a Forest Goblin Spider Rider, a Doom Diver, and a Night Goblin Fanatic unit. These would fit pretty well with his tricky tactics backstory. Grimgor should get Black Orcs, Boar Boyz, and some sort of Savage Orc unit (since he came out of the Southern Badlands in his lore). It fits how he kinda throws tactics to the wind and just charges in.
  • CanuoveaCanuovea Posts: 13,118Registered Users, Moderators
    Azhag should probably get some trolls too, or something like that, given he did sort of originally start in Troll Country.
    -Forum Terms and Conditions: https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest
    -Using all caps is the equivalent of shouting. Please don't.
    -The "Spam" flag is not a "disagree" flag. Have a care.
    -...No, no the "Abuse" flag isn't a "disagree" flag either!
    -5.7 Summon a moderator if someone seems to be out of line, or use the report button. Do NOT become another party to misbehaviour
  • DalakhDalakh Senior Member FrancePosts: 1,937Registered Users
    edited October 2016
    Azhag is from troll country. Replace the gobbo archers with a unit of trolls.

PS : Just read post above, needless to say I concur.
    "We shall strike down our foes with sharp steel and cold hearts. The weak die so that the strong prevail and none shall be spared. Then and only then will our enemies know the true meaning of fear."

— Malekith, Witch King of Naggaroth
  • Kambing1956Kambing1956 Posts: 183Registered Users
    Why should they be balanced? It is just a slightly more difficult campaign. I've done Kemmler and Gelt Ungrim too.

• YarmossYarmoss Junior Member Posts: 6Registered Users
    Don't forget about Azhag's "awesome" starting traits. While Grimgor gives buffs to Blackorks Azhag has a +10 relationship with Vampire factions..... wooooooooooooo!
  • ResiKesiResiKesi Posts: 119Registered Users
    Speek proppa, ya git!
  • FrontlinerDeltaFrontlinerDelta Senior Member Posts: 3,549Registered Users
    edited October 2016
    Not to shamelessly plug myself but I actually have modded some alternate starting units for Azhag. Two versions, the difference being one has normal big uns and one has savage.

I wish CA would update Azhag's starting units but until then....

Linking just in case you guys are interested at all.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=736543972

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=736982844

• DeuzerreDeuzerre Member Posts: 939Registered Users
    edited October 2016
    Dalakh said:

Azhag is from troll country. Replace the gobbo archers with a unit of trolls.

PS : Just read post above, needless to say I concur.

I wouldn't replace the gobbo archers. Their volume of fire is pretty excellent when you use them on flanks of enemy greenskins units.

Honestly, Azhag's starting units may not be as "cool" as Grimgor's, but they work pretty well.
  • Wargol2Wargol2 Posts: 100Registered Users
    edited October 2016
    There is no problem for me.

Yes, Grimgor starting units are better but in the other end, Azhag got a bonus for diplomacy with vampires and he has Skullmuncha later.
  • seienchinseienchin Senior Member Posts: 4,571Registered Users
    Azhag is pretty bad at the start.
    Kemmler is useless the whole game.
    Balthasar Gelt is a joke the whole game.
    Ungrim is at least ok.

Seems like the secondary lords of the starting factions are mostly useless - a baffling design choice in a game that already has less campaign factions than any TW before (even if much more diverse but come on why would they not tkae the chance to make replaying much more interesting by having interestin 2nd lords with different starting locations?)

Chaos Lords are all pretty much ok. Of course archaon is the best by far but Kholek and Sigvald have very good starting units and are ok otherwise.
  • boyfightsboyfights Junior Member Posts: 4,023Registered Users
    sometimes things being more difficult can make it more interesting, i had a lot more fun playing with gelt than i did with karl franz
    boyfights you are always here to confirmate every spark of originality
    or reason burns or acid bruises anyone,
    stop your gladiator love for agressions.
  • SteppelordSteppelord Junior Member Posts: 2,184Registered Users
    boyfights said:

sometimes things being more difficult can make it more interesting, i had a lot more fun playing with gelt than i did with karl franz

Yep what he said. With Azhag that first battle is actually somewhat of a challenge.
    boyfights said:

Thats a valid point but here is the thing:
    Being difficult because the challenge you go through is tough = Most people likes that
    Being difficult because you got one hand tied behind your back and are blindfolded = Not everyone likes that

If the first campaign battle for Azhag would be harder because you fight more enemies then people would appreciate that.
    If the first campaign battle is exactly the same but your guys are awful then many people dislike that.

Its probably part of human nature. You want to be the underdog that overcomes a difficult situation but you dont want to be the guy that has difficulties doing the same thing you did easier before.
  • JavorJavor Posts: 910Registered Users
    The bonus starting units (for me at least) should contain units that you would otherwise not be able to recruit right away.

For me, Azhag would be fine if the goblin archers were replaced with Trolls, due to him coming from Troll Country.

Also, how come people think Ungrim is just "ok"? He's a badass slayer king, and a beast in combat! Sure, his starting units aren't as good as Thorgrim's, but that's just because Thorgrim gets hammerers.

• boyfightsboyfights Junior Member Posts: 4,023Registered Users
    Seienchin said:

I get what you're saying, I just think it's fine to have one campaign start that's completely hamstrung compared to the others, having both a weaker LL and a weaker starting army. I have yet to finish an azhag campaign but I'm looking forward to the challenge

Or maybe they'll change his starting units with the dlc, who knows
    boyfights you are always here to confirmate every spark of originality
    or reason burns or acid bruises anyone,
    stop your gladiator love for agressions.
  • RowYerboatRowYerboat Junior Member Posts: 955Registered Users
    I agree that he could use at least one genuinely strong unit, but the fact that it is easily moddable makes it not that big of a deal.

The bonus starting units (for me at least) should contain units that you would otherwise not be able to recruit right away.

For me, Azhag would be fine if the goblin archers were replaced with Trolls, due to him coming from Troll Country.

Also, how come people think Ungrim is just "ok"? He's a badass slayer king, and a beast in combat! Sure, his starting units aren't as good as Thorgrim's, but that's just because Thorgrim gets hammerers.

I might be wrong but Thorgrimm is in the end the better fighter - isnt he?
  • endurendur Posts: 3,033Registered Users
    edited October 2016
    Seienchin said:

I might be wrong but Thorgrimm is in the end the better fighter - isnt he?

Thorgrim has better army buffs, but the slayer king is the better individual fighter (unbreakable, armor-piercing, nearly a match for Grimgor).

The problem with the slayer king is that slayers die fast in total war due to lack of armor (the slayer king himself actually has armor).
  • Neolucifer2000Neolucifer2000 Junior Member Posts: 956Registered Users
    Wo0d Glue said:

Originally posted this in the suggestions thread, but I'll also post it here for more to notice.

When selecting your Legendary Lord as the Greenskins, Azhag starts with units much more inferior to the ones of Grimgor Ironhide.

Big'uns are good, but not much more than an Orc boy upgrade. Black Orcs however are the best Orc infantry unit, able to go toe-toe with all other infantry units in the game. The Big'un is thus compared to the Black orc, a mediocre choice.

The Goblin Spider Rider and Boar Boyz could be evenly matched. I haven't used the Spider Riders that much, but I haven't really noticed their effectiveness yet. Boar Boyz however are shock cavalry, and thus excellent with the Big'uns or Black Orcs.

Now comes the real shocker. Azhga gets the Goblin archer, Grimgor the Doom Diver. The latter is the highest of high end unit with extreme range and accuracy that in most games, kills at least 150 models; sometimes, often, more! In the meantime, the Goblin archer you can essentially recruit right from the start of the game, and even loses out to the Orc Arrer Boyz which you can get on turn two.

Original thread: https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/176214/azhag-crap-starting-units?new=1

Arent you supposed to talk like a **** ork?

Demand more love for Empire and Beastmen! Playable Middenland with Cult of Ulric! Built-in RoR like Hochland Long Rifles and Knightly orders! Doombull, Wargor, Ghorgon, Jabberslythe, Tuskboar chariot and God-specific Gors! #MakeOldWorldGreatAgain
  • MoritasgusMoritasgus Posts: 744Registered Users
    With the new DLC i'd expect thing to change up a little, so hopefully both sides will get a bit of a refresh.
  • WudgluWudglu Member Da BadlandsPosts: 395Registered Users

Wo0d Glue said:

Arent you supposed to talk like a **** ork?
    Back in da old dayz oi 'ad a Gobbo tranflatin' me words for me. Real canny git, dat 'un.