Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

SolvedMassive performance boost upgrading HDD to SSD - Graphics on Ultra

VulgVulg Registered Users Posts: 11
edited June 2016 in Performance & Graphics
I have what I consider a pretty good rig (HD6790, 8gb, i7 etc) and my Windows scores were on 7.9 for most except the HDD which was at 5.9. I swapped out the HDD 1000rpm for a SSD running at 550mbps.

Before this I had the graphics settings on a mix of high and normal and reading a lot of posts saying how folk with lesser settings had it on high I could not understand. So I forked out on a new SSD drive. I now have everything on Ultra and boy does it look amazing. The game runs like a dream with no flickering and the units are on large. I previously struggled with the other Total War games so expect this has been my rigs achiles heel for everything for a few years.

Just having a few niggles with Windows updates but otherwise I recommend checking out your rig set up against the Windows scores.

Post edited by ca_guy on
Tagged:

Comments

• QinshiQinshi Registered Users Posts: 217
    Yeah, HDD isnt good for the biggest games, now a days.
    You better invest first into an SSD and than in a new GPU card.
  • VulgVulg Registered Users Posts: 11
    I wish I knew the benefits of a SSD over HDD, instead thought RPM speed on a HDD would give better results. NOPE!
  • doinwork34doinwork34 Technical Moderator Colorado, USRegistered Users, Moderators, Tech Moderators Posts: 2,893
    SSDs are like 100 times faster than any HDD. So you would need a HDD that could spin at like 100k rpm. Even then you dont get the benefits of SSD controller and better tech
    Good to go for Rome II! CPU: i5 3570k @ 4.0ghz GPU: GTX 760 4gb @1215MHz-RAM: 8GB1600 Ballistix TracerPSU: Corsair HX750w
  • ca_guyca_guy Registered Users, Moderators, CA Staff Mods, CA Staff Posts: 1,171
    Thanks for letting us know what worked for you :)
    Formal disclaimer: any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of Creative Assembly or SEGA. | Lord name: guise |

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file