Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Can I play Medieval: Total War on Linux?

calumuk93calumuk93 Posts: 1Registered Users
I'm a huge fan of the first Medieval: Total War, but unfortunately I can't play it since I switched from Windows to Linux. Is there a way that I can still play it? I'm using Ubuntu 14.04 and I still have the game and the Viking Invasion expansion in disc form. Thanks.

Comments

• jmel01jmel01 Posts: 2Registered Users
    hopefully this is still useful.

I use wine version 1.8-staging and my os is lubuntu which is Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS. according to the command lsb_release -a

in order to cycle though different wine versions I use play on linux.

current glitches are that i cannot place my armies during battles. units can be set to attack but they cannot be placed in a position or advanced. The regular map runs fine and battles can be auto-fought.

if anyone has a better way by all means improve my method.
  • jmel01jmel01 Posts: 2Registered Users
    I forgot... i am running the file via an old CD of MTW1 gold edition. i am also able to run rome but on a different wine version
  • Babu_the_BoldheartBabu_the_Boldheart Posts: 1Registered Users
    yes im running medieval gold {previouse edition ticked}
    choose proton option with steam=play,, in steam i have mine on 3.7version i believe!, anyhow just choose the bottom one on the list.
    i also found if u deselect tabs at the top with f5 u get no stutter in game
    you can also run it with lutris steam-wine runner this option also runs as good if not slightly better and allows the Alt+tab which toggles to allow full screen after you choose back to the desktop running the game. hope this helps

im running ubuntu 16.04 game-pack ive also had it run on ubuntu 18.04 lts version lust as well

on old dell inspiron n5030 laptop with GM45 graphics duel core cpu 2.5... t9300 if i remember correctly black western digital 720 rpm 320 Gb also worked same on toshiba 80GB hdd that was from an old ps3on and one 4gb ram stick

i did have problems at first tho with help from you-tube guides on you-tube i managed to get the steam working as good as tho with set black boarder down each side of the screen that seem fixed n non negotiable.

lutris i found easy once i learned about the ALT+TAB option which is the case for some laptops

oh added note! have in-game option resolution both set the same. i have 800x600 as some say they dont get crashes on that setting., {BTW this is only for more realistic graphics improvements not to change screen size}.

so give it a go as u never know n if it loads up then great! if it has an issue chance's are there is a fix or configuration to solve it that someone else has found.

Good Luck :sweat_smile: