Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

The "Data-mined" DLC Faction List Analysed

gatormarinediazgatormarinediaz MemberRegistered Users Posts: 416
edited July 2016 in General Discussion
The list of upcoming factions that was data-mined may be confirmed as out of date, but there is a ton of solid information to be gleaned from what we do have. Given that this list was found in the startpos.esf (the campaign file), and the naming conventions of the factions, I've organized the list in its entirety in an attempt to make it easier to read and understand and in hopes of sparking discussion to see if I or anyone else has missed any particularly juicy bits of information.

This list was reorganized after using @agnes1969 's post from https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/178162/dlc-unearthed/p3 to be more user-friendly. Most of what follows, other than the list itself, is my conjecture based on modding Total War titles for the past 15 years. I may have missed one two factions due to human error, but I'm fairly certain I got them all.

Before I begin, let me start by saying what this list can and cannot tell us: firstly, this list contains all factions currently in-game and the major factions planned for future release. Any faction that exists already on the map would not be listed with one of the "dlc" or "exp" headers to tell us if they will be playable in the future because they are already on the map. In other words, this list won't tell us if any already-existing factions or races will become playable. Secondly, the list gets less detailed the further out we get, so we have little to no information on what minor factions may be coming beyond DLC05. Don't take the absence of minor factions like Araby or the Amazons as an absolute indicator that they won't be on the map. This list simply doesn't give us that much information.

What can it tell us? It can tell us what factions CA planned to add and in roughly what order at some point prior to the game's official launch. Given CA's statements that the list is out of date and that their plans have expanded, my guess is that we will be getting more than what we have listed, so the numbering may end up being off. For example, we may get two DLCs between the Beastmen and Wood Elves, but in all likelihood the rough order will probably be pretty close. We may get more Campaign packs as well, but there's no way to know that beyond the information we have for Beastmen and Wood Elves. So...

*****!!POTENTIAL SPOILERS!!*****

PART I - The pre-existing factions:

You'll notice suffixes at the end of some faction names. "_qb#" indicates a copy of a faction used in Quest Battles, not necessarily a faction with quest battles. Factions that have at least one "_qb#" are not necessarily going to be playable, but it's a pretty good indicator that factions lacking quest battle copies were not planned to be made playable at the time the list was made. The "_rebels", "_separatists", and "_waaagh" suffixes are self-explanatory.

Also note that there are no "DLC##" prefixes for either Chaos or Bretonnia. This is because those factions are already on the map and coded into the game, even though Chaos was the first DLC and Bretonnia will be made playable later.

wh_main_brt_artois
wh_main_brt_bastonne
wh_main_brt_bordeleaux
wh_main_brt_bretonnia_qb1
wh_main_brt_bretonnia_qb3
wh_main_brt_bretonnia_qb2
wh_main_brt_bretonnia_rebels
wh_main_brt_bretonnia_separatists
wh_main_brt_carcassonne
wh_main_brt_lyonesse
wh_main_brt_parravon
wh_main_chs_chaos
wh_main_chs_chaos_qb1
wh_main_chs_chaos_qb2
wh_main_chs_chaos_qb3
wh_main_chs_chaos_rebels
wh_main_chs_chaos_separatists
wh_main_chs_chaos_separatists_sorcerer_lord
wh_main_dwf_barak_varr
wh_main_dwf_dwarfs
wh_main_dwf_dwarf_ai_separatists
wh_main_dwf_dwarfs_qb1
wh_main_dwf_dwarfs_qb2
wh_main_dwf_dwarfs_qb3
wh_main_dwf_dwarf_rebels
wh_main_dwf_dwarf_separatists
wh_main_dwf_karak_azul
wh_main_dwf_karak_hirn
wh_main_dwf_karak_izor
wh_main_dwf_karak_kadrin
wh_main_dwf_karak_norn
wh_main_dwf_karak_ziflin
wh_main_dwf_kraka_drak
wh_main_dwf_zhufbar
wh_main_emp_averland
wh_main_emp_empire
wh_main_emp_empire_ai_separatists
wh_main_emp_empire_qb_intro
wh_main_emp_empire_qb1
wh_main_emp_empire_qb2
wh_main_emp_empire_qb3
wh_main_emp_empire_rebels
wh_main_emp_empire_rebels_qb1
wh_main_emp_empire_separatists
wh_main_emp_hochland
wh_main_emp_marienburg
wh_main_emp_marienburg_rebels
wh_main_emp_middenland
wh_main_emp_nordland
wh_main_emp_ostermark
wh_main_emp_stirland
wh_main_emp_talabecland
wh_main_emp_wissenland
wh_main_grn_black_venom
wh_main_grn_black_venom_waaagh
wh_main_grn_bloody_spearz
wh_main_grn_bloody_spearz_waaagh
wh_main_grn_broken_nose
wh_main_grn_broken_nose_waaagh
wh_main_grn_crooked_moon
wh_main_grn_crooked_moon_waaagh
wh_main_grn_greenskin_ai_separatists
wh_main_grn_greenskin_ai_separatists_goblin_shaman
wh_main_grn_greenskin_ai_separatists_waaagh
wh_main_grn_greenskins
wh_main_grn_greenskins_waaagh
wh_main_grn_greenskins_rebels
wh_main_grn_greenskins_rebels_waaagh
wh_main_grn_greenskin_separatists
wh_main_grn_greenskin_separatists_goblin_shaman
wh_main_grn_greenskin_separatists_waaagh
wh_main_grn_greenskins_qb1
wh_main_grn_greenskins_qb2
wh_main_grn_greenskins_qb3
wh_main_grn_greenskins_qb4
wh_main_grn_necksnappers
wh_main_grn_necksnappers_waaagh
wh_main_grn_orcs_of_the_bloody_hand
wh_main_grn_orcs_of_the_bloody_hand_waaagh
wh_main_grn_red_eye
wh_main_grn_red_eye_waaagh
wh_main_grn_red_fangs
wh_main_grn_red_fangs_waaagh
wh_main_grn_scabby_eye
wh_main_grn_scabby_eye_waaagh
wh_main_grn_skull-takerz
wh_main_grn_skull-takerz_waaagh
wh_main_grn_skullsmasherz
wh_main_grn_skullsmasherz_waaagh
wh_main_grn_teef_snatchaz
wh_main_grn_teef_snatchaz_waaagh
wh_main_grn_top_knotz
wh_main_grn_top_knotz_waaagh
wh_main_ksl_kislev
wh_main_ksl_kislev_rebels
wh_main_ksl_kislev_separatists
wh_main_nor_aesling
wh_main_nor_baersonling
wh_main_nor_bjornling
wh_main_nor_graeling
wh_main_nor_norsca_qb1
wh_main_nor_norsca_qb2
wh_main_nor_norsca_qb3
wh_main_nor_norsca_rebels
wh_main_nor_norsca_separatists
wh_main_nor_norsca_separatists_sorcerer_lord
wh_main_nor_sarl
wh_main_nor_skaeling
wh_main_nor_varg
wh_main_teb_border_princes
wh_main_teb_border_princes_rebels
wh_main_teb_border_princes_separatists
wh_main_teb_estalia
wh_main_teb_estalia_rebels
wh_main_teb_estalia_separatists
wh_main_teb_tilea
wh_main_teb_tilea_rebels
wh_main_teb_tilea_separatists
wh_main_vmp_mousillon
wh_main_vmp_rival_sylvanian_vamps
wh_main_vmp_schwartzhafenrebels
wh_main_vmp_waldenhof
wh_main_vmp_vampire_ai_separatists
wh_main_vmp_vampire_ai_separatists_master_necromancer
wh_main_vmp_vampire_counts
wh_main_vmp_vampire_counts_qb1
wh_main_vmp_vampire_counts_qb2
wh_main_vmp_vampire_counts_qb3
wh_main_vmp_vampire_rebels
wh_main_vmp_vampire_separatists
wh_main_vmp_vampire_separatists_master_necromancer

Have I missed anything else of value here?

Part II is incoming, wherein we look at the first two Race/Campaign DLCs
Post edited by gatormarinediaz on

Comments

• gatormarinediazgatormarinediaz Member Registered Users Posts: 416
    PART II - The first two Race / Campaign Packs

BEASTMEN - DLC03

Based on the naming conventions, we can see here that the Beastmen were planned to be the third paid DLC for the game. The "_qb#" suffixes have returned to show us that there will be quest battles featuring Beastmen and some other factions, but we have some new prefixes and suffixes to look at. First, "_mini_". This likely indicates a faction that will be appearing in a mini-campaign. My guess is that the Greenskins and Empire factions that are part of this DLC are likely part of the Beastmen mini-campaign as well. Given that only GS, Emp, and Beastmen faction appear, it's likely that the mini-campaign focuses on a region around the Empire. There are two Bretonnia "_qb#" factions as well, indicating that at least one of the Beastmen's quest battles will probably be against the Bretonnians.

Probably the most interesting addition is the "_brayherd" suffix. This seems to be something akin to the Greenskins' "_waaagh", but it could also be related to a completely new, unheard of mechanic unique to the Beastmen.

Because Khazrak's herd has both "_rebels" and "_separatists", it seems that his is the playable Beastmen faction in the mini-campaign. It's likely that one Empire and one Greenskins faction are also playable, but we can't say which based on this alone. Maybe a lore expert could step in and point to one being more likely than the others?

wh_dlc03_bst_beastmen
    wh_dlc03_bst_beastmen_qb1
    wh_dlc03_bst_beastmen_qb2
    wh_dlc03_bst_beastmen_qb3
    wh_dlc03_bst_beastmen_rebels
    wh_dlc03_bst_beastmen_separatists
    wh_dlc03_bst_mini_jagged_horn
    wh_dlc03_bst_mini_jagged_horn_brayherd
    wh_dlc03_bst_mini_khazrak_herd
    wh_dlc03_bst_mini_khazrak_herd_brayherd
    wh_dlc03_bst_mini_khazrak_herd_rebels
    wh_dlc03_bst_mini_khazrak_herd_rebels_brayherd
    wh_dlc03_bst_mini_khazrak_herd_separatists
    wh_dlc03_bst_mini_khazrak_herd_separatists_brayherd
    wh_dlc03_bst_mini_redhorn
    wh_dlc03_bst_mini_redhorn_brayherd
    wh_dlc03_bst_mini_ripper_horn
    wh_dlc03_bst_mini_ripper_horn_brayherd
    wh_dlc03_bst_mini_shadowgor
    wh_dlc03_bst_mini_shadowgor_brayherd
    wh_dlc03_bst_mini_skrinderkin
    wh_dlc03_bst_mini_skrinderkin_brayherd
    wh_dlc03_brt_bretonnia_qb1
    wh_dlc03_brt_bretonnia_qb2
    wh_dlc03_grn_black_pit
    wh_dlc03_grn_black_pit_waaagh
    wh_dlc03_grn_gloomy_woods
    wh_dlc03_grn_gloomy_woods_waaagh
    wh_dlc03_grn_greenskin_rebels
    wh_dlc03_grn_greenskin_rebels_waaagh
    wh_dlc03_grn_greenskin_separatists
    wh_dlc03_grn_greenskin_separatists_waaagh
    wh_dlc03_emp_empire_qb1
    wh_dlc03_emp_empire_qb2
    wh_dlc03_emp_empire_qb3
    wh_dlc03_emp_empire_qb4
    wh_dlc03_emp_empire_rebels
    wh_dlc03_emp_empire_separatists
    wh_dlc03_emp_hochland
    wh_dlc03_emp_marienburg
    wh_dlc03_emp_marienburg_rebels
    wh_dlc03_emp_middenland
    wh_dlc03_emp_middenland_qb1
    wh_dlc03_emp_middenland_qb2
    wh_dlc03_emp_wissenland_qb1
    wh_dlc03_emp_wissenland_qb2
    wh_dlc03_emp_wissenland_qb3
    wh_dlc03_emp_wissenland_qb4

WOOD ELVES - DLC05

After the Beastmen Campaign Pack we'll get at least one other paid DLC, then we should have the Wood Elves Campaign Pack. Here, the "_mini_" is more obvious because we can clearly see some factions that are on the map already will also appear in the WE's mini-campaign. Note also that we have some Bretonnian factions that are not on the map already that will appear in the mini-campaign. It also appears that Morghur will be a prominent villain for the Wood Elves in their mini-campaign. It's possible that he will be the Beastmen's third Legendary Lord, coming as either an FLC when this drops, or as an added bonus for those who buy both packs.

There appears to only be one Wood Elves faction for the main campaign, but the "_durthu" looks like it may be a tree-people army that they have to contend with (for control of Athel Loren?) This could be an indicator of a new type of Regional Occupation, but I'm not completely convinced that is the case, and with the limited information we have I don't think anyone can say for certain.

None of the Wood Elf factions in the mini-campaign have rebels or seperatists with the "_mini_". This could either be related to a feature of these factions in that particular campaign, or they could simply use the same rebels and separatists factions as the main campaign. Morghur is likely playable, as well as one GS and one Bretonnian faction, but again I'd have to defer to someone better-versed in lore to say which is most likely (though I'd love it if I could get some Bohemond Beastslayer action in).

wh_dlc05_brt_mini_aquitaine
    wh_dlc05_brt_mini_bastonne
    wh_dlc05_brt_mini_brionne
    wh_dlc05_brt_mini_bordeleaux
    wh_dlc05_brt_mini_bretonnia_rebels
    wh_dlc05_brt_mini_bretonnia_separatists
    wh_dlc05_brt_mini_carcassonne
    wh_dlc05_brt_mini_gisoreux
    wh_dlc05_brt_mini_montfort
    wh_dlc05_brt_mini_parravon
    wh_dlc05_brt_mini_quenelles
    wh_dlc05_bst_mini_morghur_herd
    wh_dlc05_bst_mini_morghur_herd_rebels
    wh_dlc05_bst_mini_morghur_herd_separatists
    wh_dlc05_grn_mini_deff_grindaz
    wh_dlc05_grn_mini_deff_grindaz_waaagh
    wh_dlc05_grn_mini_greenskin_rebels
    wh_dlc05_grn_mini_greenskin_rebels_waaagh
    wh_dlc05_grn_mini_greenskin_separatists
    wh_dlc05_grn_mini_greenskin_separatists_waaagh
    wh_dlc05_grn_mini_skullsmasherz
    wh_dlc05_grn_mini_skullsmasherz_waaagh
    wh_dlc05_wef_mini_anmyr
    wh_dlc05_wef_mini_argwylon
    wh_dlc05_wef_mini_arranoc
    wh_dlc05_wef_mini_atylwyth
    wh_dlc05_wef_mini_cavaroc
    wh_dlc05_wef_mini_cythral
    wh_dlc05_wef_mini_fyr_darric
    wh_dlc05_wef_mini_modryn
    wh_dlc05_wef_mini_talsyn
    wh_dlc05_wef_mini_tirsyth
    wh_dlc05_wef_mini_torgovann
    wh_dlc05_wef_mini_wydrioth
    wh_dlc05_wef_wood_elves
    wh_dlc05_wef_wood_elves_rebels
    wh_dlc05_wef_wood_elves_separatists
    wh_dlc05_wef_wood_elves_separatists_durthu

Next, Part II - All the rest!
  • epic_159733007811cHJwei4epic_159733007811cHJwei4 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 3,549
    Good post, kind of wish the wood elves would come before the beastmen as I think they will be much different than what we have now but two mini-campaigns is something I didn't expect at all.
  • ImmaculateDeceptionImmaculateDeception Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,073
    Well, we shall see how long this thread lasts for. I wont go into this all that much until I see this thread will stick around but I will say one thing. It would appear as if his own argument does not knock out the concept of a potential Kislev DLC as DLC02.

So, how about showing us the file names of what is supposed to be DLC 2? It should have that in it's name....right?
    edited July 2016

Well, we shall see how long this thread lasts for. I wont go into this all that much until I see this thread will stick around but I will say one thing. It would appear as if his own argument does not knock out the concept of a potential Kislev DLC as DLC02.

So, how about showing us the file names of what is supposed to be DLC 2? It should have that in it's name....right?

If you read my post you would see that there is no way to know if a faction that is already on the map will be DLC. The only (possible) indicator would be if they have a "_qb#" faction, which would mean that there is a copy of the faction for quest battles. Kislev does not have any "_qb#"s, likely meaning that no quest battles were planned, meaning Kislev was not planned at the point in time in which the list was generated.

But as I said, having a "_qb#" isn't necessarily an indicator that it will be playable either, only that it will appear in a quest battle.

I included the entire list here. The entire thing. There is no DLC02 or DLC04 because these are probably not Race or faction DLCs. DLC02 was blood and gore. DLC04 could be a Legendary Lord, a unit, a hero... It could be anything.

And again, what's with your totally baseless hostility towards me? If you doubt my motives just move on, dude. I'm only trying to put information, that people seem to have missed, out there.

EDIT: ...AND... it's entirely possible that there will be factions that don't have any quest battles at all. We simply don't know. There is nothing listed here that gives any indication that Kislev, specifically, was planned to be playable, however. Nor Tilea, Estalia, Varg, etc..
  • ImmaculateDeceptionImmaculateDeception Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,073
    First off, there is no hostility. Toughen up a bit. You are on a War Game forum. Some of us like a little tussle with our war game talk.

Secondly, my point was basically a leading question. I know there is no named DLC2 in the list. I have seen it already. My point is that you have zero proof of there being no chance of Kislev being DLC2. Yet, that is exactly what you stated before. So yes, this thread isn't exactly knocking it out of the park in regards to saying Beastmen will be next.
    edited July 2016

First off, there is no hostility. Toughen up a bit. You are on a War Game forum. Some of us like a little tussle with our war game talk..

Yup. Cause that's not hostile at all. Being a man means not being hostile and rude to people for no reason whatsoever.

Secondly, my point was basically a leading question. I know there is no named DLC2 in the list. I have seen it already. My point is that you have zero proof of there being no chance of Kislev being DLC2. Yet, that is exactly what you stated before. So yes, this thread isn't exactly knocking it out of the park in regards to saying Beastmen will be next.

Except Beastmen are DLC03 and we already have DLC01 and DLC02 so....

Also, no one can ever prove that there is no chance of Kislev ever being added. That's an absurdity. What I've said is that there is nothing to indicate that it will happen, I've never once stated it's not going to happen as a fact. Why do you have such a problem understanding that?

Let me put it this way: we have a list of factions that is still in the game files that we know was accurate at some point. It's a pretty solid bet that these factions will come, given all of the information I've posted which you've conveniently ignored in order to attack me some more for no reason.

You know what has never been suggested as a playable faction though? Kislev.

My point is that there's no information to say it will happen. None. It might happen, but there's nothing to back that up other than wishful thinking.

EDIT: ... And did I say the point of this thread was to prove anything about the Beastmen? No I did not. It's only you who thinks this thread is about me trying to prove anything to anyone.
  • MishrakMishrak Registered Users Posts: 164
    Thanks for the interesting post gator.

Sounds like the mini campaigns will give us more factions and potentially a more detailed campaign map for some regions kind of like Caesar in Gaul.

I'm looking forward to the WH world continuing on coming to life.
    Once again, your whole opinion is what is fueling your negative stance on Kislev. Perhaps you should look up the comment of 16. Kislev has been talked about. It is not my problem if you havnt been around long enough to know that.

Go ahead and tell us what you think DLC 2 will be then hmmm? Do try to answer that rather than simply making another insult laden post which reeks of immaturity? Thanks.
  • emptonia22emptonia22 Registered Users Posts: 914
    So as you requested. As a lore expert (hehe) i will tell you khazrak one eye had a conflict with boris todbringer of middenland, which led to his eye being put out. He then got todbringer back and took HIS eye, but let him live to continue their conflict. So maybe middenland region and todbringer vs khazrak will be mini campaign. My guess.

Once again, your whole opinion is what is fueling your negative stance on Kislev. Perhaps you should look up the comment of 16. Kislev has been talked about. It is not my problem if you havnt been around long enough to know that.

Go ahead and tell us what you think DLC 2 will be then hmmm? Do try to answer that rather than simply making another insult laden post which reeks of immaturity? Thanks.

I told you what DLC02 was. BLOOD AND GORE. I've said this several times today.

I'm not insulting you at all. You're insulting me.

And I have no negative view of Kislev. I want them in the game. My point has been the same: there is no evidence that they will be playable. We have 16 factions that are very likely given this list and the comment regarding army books, and Kislev is not one of those. I literally do not care if you believe they will be playable. That doesn't bother me at all. The whole purpose of my first post was to show another perspective. I even stated that we don't need to have this same argument again because it's totally pointless.

Can we move on now to what this thread is actually about?

We are discussing what this thread is actually about. It is about future DLC's. Just because you don't like my take on it, that doesn't mean my comments aren't on topic.

Oh by the way, good luck with this thread. The last ones that listed these files went bye bye.

So as you requested. As a lore expert (hehe) i will tell you khazrak one eye had a conflict with boris todbringer of middenland, which led to his eye being put out. He then got todbringer back and took HIS eye, but let him live to continue their conflict. So maybe middenland region and todbringer vs khazrak will be mini campaign. My guess.

I would LOVE this. Todbringer is an excellent choice for an Empire Legendary Lord, too.
    Mishrak said:

Sounds like the mini campaigns will give us more factions and potentially a more detailed campaign map for some regions kind of like Caesar in Gaul.

Thanks, dude

That's what I was picturing when they first announced Campaign Packs as one of the upcoming DLC-types. Wood Elves are particularly well-suited for that, I think.
    edited July 2016

We are discussing what this thread is actually about. It is about future DLC's. Just because you don't like my take on it, that doesn't mean my comments aren't on topic.

Oh by the way, good luck with this thread. The last ones that listed these files went bye bye.

Okay.

Okay.
    Needed to edit out the original response huh? Ok.

I would LOVE this. Todbringer is an excellent choice for an Empire Legendary Lord, too.
    Mishrak said:

Thanks, dude

That's what I was picturing when they first announced Campaign Packs as one of the upcoming DLC-types. Wood Elves are particularly well-suited for that, I think.

Mishrak said:

Thanks, dude

Yeah man, would be awesome. Chasing khazraks hordes through the region, getting ambushed ect. Or vice versa, going after todbringers armies to slaughter them. Who knows wat new mechanics we will see
  • SetrusSetrus Senior Member SwedenRegistered Users Posts: 18,836

Mishrak said:

Thanks, dude

Such mini-campaigns would no doubt be good training for a faction before going for the GG. :)
    Don't worry.
    edited July 2016

Okay.
    Because it was an accidental double post. Please move on. Please?

Mishrak said:

Thanks, dude

Mishrak said:

Thanks, dude

Yeah man, would be awesome. Chasing khazraks hordes through the region, getting ambushed ect. Or vice versa, going after todbringers armies to slaughter them. Who knows wat new mechanics we will see
    The brayherd thing has me particularly interested. I hope they do expand the ambush mechanics and give us something really unique with the Beastmen, especially since people are already questioning if they'll be too similar to Warriors of Chaos.
    Setrus said:

Mishrak said:

Thanks, dude

Such mini-campaigns would no doubt be good training for a faction before going for the GG. :)
    Yeah, it'll be cool to see how these campaigns introduce the new races and their mechanics in a controlled environment.
    Lies are lies. Move on yourself.

Nice to see you guys coming along to some of the same opinions that have already been expressed and believed for quite awhile.

Okay.
    Because it was an accidental double post. Please move on.

Mishrak said:

Thanks, dude

Mishrak said:

Thanks, dude

The brayherd thing has me particularly interested. I hope they do expand the ambush mechanics and give us something really unique with the Beastmen, especially since people are already questioning if they'll be too similar to Warriors of Chaos.
    Deg agreed...lets hope CAs smart enough to distinguish beasties from WoC somehow. Theyre my fav race of destruction, its gunna be so sick seeing bestigors and minitaurs rip apart empire lines. But like you say i think theres a big chance here to set up some new and fresh mechanics espec for ambushing type things
  • fodzillafodzilla Registered Users Posts: 62

Good post, kind of wish the wood elves would come before the beastmen as I think they will be much different than what we have now but two mini-campaigns is something I didn't expect at all.

Wood Elves can't drive Beastmen out of the forest if Beastmen haven't been released. ;)

Okay.
    Because it was an accidental double post. Please move on.

Mishrak said:

Thanks, dude

Mishrak said:

Thanks, dude

Deg agreed...lets hope CAs smart enough to distinguish beasties from WoC somehow. Theyre my fav race of destruction, its gunna be so sick seeing bestigors and minitaurs rip apart empire lines. But like you say i think theres a big chance here to set up some new and fresh mechanics espec for ambushing type things
    I'm mostly a Khorne guy, myself, and the Beastmen should do an excellent job of scratching that itch for me. Honestly though? The main thing I want from this DLC is Taurox, no matter how unlikely.
    fodzilla said:

Wood Elves can't drive Beastmen out of the forest if Beastmen haven't been released. ;)
    Good point!
  • sully711sully711 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 13
    edited July 2016
    Gator, my friend...seriously, well done. The Faction DLC/FLC news remains my primary reason for visiting the forums, and while I rarely post, I felt compelled to show some level of appreciation (what little can be expressed through a forum post) for the thought and overall work you obviously put into this thread. So, once again, well done.

As for the news itself, I have no serious theories regarding release order and whatnot, but I will say I'm surprised the DLC for the Beastmen is jumping (what I assume to be) a similar Wood Elves DLC, at least in terms of adding a whole new faction with a mini-campaign and roster, not to mention game mechanics. The only speculation I can muster as to why the Wood Elves are being shuffled behind the Beastmen is that, possibly, the latter has a similar mechanic to an existing faction while the Elves (hopefully) present a completely unique play style. As a TW vet with zero WH experience entering this game, my limited lore knowledge points to possibly a Greenskin "Waagh" mechanic (with the herd) or a horde mechanic similar to Chaos (would definitely need a lore expert to weigh in either way). I'm leaning towards a horde mechanic like CA managed with many barbarian tribes in Attila...a roaming horde WITH the added bonus of being able to settle certain areas on the map, while maybe even having the option to reenter migration mode if a serious threat lurks that requires flight, not fight.

I honestly figured, though, that the Brettonia FLC would beat one of these out (which I guess it still might). Considering the Bretonnian affiliation with the Wood Elves, both geographically and from a magical perspective, I could definitely see CA pairing the Bretonnian FLC release with the Wood Elves DLC (and perhaps the Lore of Life as well).

The rest of your discoveries, ranging from no expansion (?), but rather DLC, with the Tomb Kings, Chaos Dwarves, Skaven and Ogres to the Chaos Gods-based third expansion has me baffled. The latter, in particular, seems completely off from most of what I've read regarding the WH Thrillogy. Then again, I'm always down for a curveball when it comes to my expectations regarding expansions, as long as CA continues to show their resolve in the Old World DLC. I'm personally very much looking forward to testing the Tomb Kings and Chaos Dwarves, and as long as the quality there is unaffected, I'm on board.

A Chaos Wastes map expansion with the four Gods serving as the primary "race" allegiances could certainly hold water. Anyway Gator, excellent post and keep any info you've got coming...I'm always down for some friendly speculation.

As for the unnecessary digs Immaculate has been throwing your way, just know I'm on your side (as much as that matters in a forum). Exceptionally professional post, and like I said, keep up the good work.
  • ArbitraryDwarfArbitraryDwarf Registered Users Posts: 203
    Is it just me failing to spot any quest battles for Wood Elves?

I do agree that it appears WE and Beastmen are likely to be a mini campaign and that pleases me and saddens me in the same breath. A mini campaign, with expanded areas in and around Athel Loren would be a perfect setting.

I have always though that the WE will be very difficult to make into a fun race to play on the main map, given their geographic limitations and the relative small landmass of Athel Loren on the campaign map.
    Sully711 said:

... I'm leaning towards a horde mechanic like CA managed with many barabarian tribes in Attila...a roaming horde of Beastmen WITH the added bonus of being able to settle at on the map, while maybe even having the option to reenter migration mode if a serious threat lurks that requires flight, not fight.

That's kind of what I'm hoping for too, though others have suggested they might add a third regional occupation based of forests that the Wood Elfs and Beastmen will fight over. Maybe a lore expert can chime in on the viability of that?
    Sully711 said:

I honestly figured, though, that the Brettonia FLC would beat one of these out (which I guess it still might). Considering the Bretonnian affiliation with the Wood Elves, both geographically and from a magical perspective, I could definitely see CA pairing the Bretonnian FLC release with the Wood Elves DLC (and perhaps the Lore of Life as well).

Yeah, most people are guessing Bretonnia will be late in the year due to the FLC plans. Because FLC is introduced as a patch rather than as free DLC (in the most recent TW games, anyway) they could come earlier. There's no way for us to know when or in what order FLC factions like that would come. Here's to hoping for soon though!
    Sully711 said:

The rest of your discoveries, ranging from no expansion (?), but rather DLC, with the Tomb Kings, Chaos Dwarves, Skaven and Ogres to the Chaos Gods-based third expansion has me baffled. The latter, in particular, seems completely off from most of what I've read regarding the WH Thrillogy...

I can't take credit for discovering the list, only looking at it and trying to decipher what I could. I posted some of this back in the first thread about this and some people picked up on it, but that thread got really heated in the end, too. I figured it was better to put everything in one, easy to read place.

Also, the list is jumbled and disorganized in the game files. It seemed like a good idea to list them all in an organized way so that anyone can come and take a look and develop their own theories.

BTW, this confused me too. I was one of the people who felt pretty certain that one of the expansions would add Tomb Kings, Chaos Dwarves and Ogres, but seeing this changed my mind. For what it's worth, the later DLCs and Expansions are probably the things most likely to be outdated information.

Is it just me failing to spot any quest battles for Wood Elves?

I do agree that it appears WE and Beastmen are likely to be a mini campaign and that pleases me and saddens me in the same breath. A mini campaign, with expanded areas in and around Athel Loren would be a perfect setting.

I have always though that the WE will be very difficult to make into a fun race to play on the main map, given their geographic limitations and the relative small landmass of Athel Loren on the campaign map.

Good catch! I actually hadn't noticed that.

This could be due to them being further out, potentially not coming out for a while, or maybe they don't have quest battle copies for another reason? They could also be the first faction that doesn't have any quest battles with AI-controlled reinforcements (either as the enemy or the player).

Campaign packs will likely take a long time to finish, so it may be that Beastmen are still a month or two out and the other paid DLCs will be spaced out with a month or two between each. That would put the Wood Elves around November/December timeline... which correlates with when a lot people think Bretonnia will drop. I don't want to wait that long for Bretonnia, but it does seem to make sense to time a big free faction with a big paid race DLC in the same geographic vicinity.
  • epic_159733007811cHJwei4epic_159733007811cHJwei4 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 3,549
    fodzilla said:

Yea in another thread I actually said the same, that even though I would like Wood Elves first it would make more sense for beastmen first and then wood elves would have an adversary for a mini-campaign.
  • GerdatsuGerdatsu Registered Users Posts: 7
    The thing that doesn't make sense for me are the exp. Races..
    The second one being most likely high elves, dark elves and lizardmen are fine.

But all the dlc races are all in the old world and that would mean that we would get all dlc races before the second game comes out
    And that we wouldn't get any dlc races for the other games

Seems kinda weird if you ask me
  • krunshkrunsh Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 3,695
    We can't say if any of this is right or wrong, or outdated, but non-the-less... Super interesting post! Thanks :)
    i5-3550 CPU @ 3.30GHz
    Geforce gtx 970
    16gb ram

Team Skaven
  • Nyanko73Nyanko73 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,351
    Gerdatsu said:

The thing that doesn't make sense for me are the exp. Races..
    The second one being most likely high elves, dark elves and lizardmen are fine.

But all the dlc races are all in the old world and that would mean that we would get all dlc races before the second game comes out
    And that we wouldn't get any dlc races for the other games

Seems kinda weird if you ask me

What if the DLCs include all the DLCs of the 3 expansions? Would it make more sense then?

Team Yennefer

"A blinding flash materialised into a transparent sphere, and inside it loomed a shape, assuming contours and shapes at frightening speed. Dandelion recognised it at once. He knew those wild, black curls and the obsidian star on a velvet ribbon. What he didn’t know and had never seen before was the face. It was a face of rage and fury, the face of the goddess of vengeance, destruction and death." - Time of contempt
  • EarlybirdEarlybird Registered Users Posts: 994
    I hope that Beastmen and Wood Elves are not restricted to mini campaign