Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Quick Q&A - Call of the Beastmen!

Bart_CABart_CA Creative AssemblyHorsham, UKPosts: 344Registered Users, Moderators, Administrators, CA Staff
edited July 2016 in General Discussion

Yesterday we announced the first big TW:Warhammer DLC that adds a new Race and a new Campaign Map to the game, “Call of the Beastmen”.

Here’s a quick Q&A on some of the questions we’ve been sent or seen cropping up.

The new Campaign Map for the Beastmen story “An Eye for an Eye”, how big is it/who can I play as?
It’s 52 regions and can take between 10-20 hours to complete. We are quite pleased with how it’s turned out, a nicely escalating frenzy of a challenge as you hunt down and confront Todbringer. You’ll play as Khazrak the One Eye, with the NPC factions of Jagged Horn Tribe, Skrinderkin Herd, Shadowgore Herd, Ripper-Horn Tribe, Redhorn Tribe, Middenland, Hochland, Marienburg and the Greenskins will also make an appearance as Gloomywoods and The Black Pit.

Joey will be livestreaming it next Friday if you’d like to see more, in the meantime here’s the map (Khazrak's start position is the large icon on the left, the icons with spiked borders mark horde factions that will start approximately' in those locations):

What’s the trigger for a Beastpath battle on the Campaign?
Beastmen are able to move and ambush from a Beastpath Stance, which can trigger a battle in a similar way to how the underway currently works. When they occur, they will take place in a new map environment, example below:

Will there be Free-LC/ a Patch at the same time Beastmen release?
Yes, stay tuned for news on Update 2 (which will include additional features for multi-player), and the free-LC will be the Amber Wizard for the Empire, introducing the Lore of Beasts into the game for the first time. He can also level up to acquire a distinctive variation of the Empire Griffon mount.

If you don’t own Call of the Beastmen, do they still appear on the Grand Campaign Map?
Yes. As part of the update, Beastmen will be added as an AI race on the Grand Campaign. So even if you don’t buy the DLC, your Campaign game will be refreshed with a new formidable threat to contend with.

What’s their playstyle like?
Your best bet is to tune in for the gameplay videos from next week, but in a phrase, fast and furious. Having lots of units with Vanguard and nearly all with high movement speeds means that you can fall on your enemy almost instantly in many situations. Coupled with the ability to initiate ambushes while on the move, and Lightning Strike battles being unlockable in the Beastlord campaign-skill tree, they offer a real guerrilla-style experience. (lightning Strike battles enable you to face only the army you’re attacking, and deny the enemy the use of any nearby reinforcing armies).

The price is higher than previous large DLCs, what gives?
Essentially, Call of the Beastmen required around three times more content and effort than previous large DLCs we’ve done, mainly due to the array of new creature models, animations, art, environments etc. Not only does it add a new playable race with a bunch of new mechanics to the game, but also adds a Beastman story campaign on a new map – “An eye for an eye”. We wanted to do them justice and make them as distinct as the races in the main game, which meant getting a certain amount of content in to hit that quality bar.

We’ve got loads of gameplay coming up next week so you’ll be able to see everything in action and we will make sure Youtubers will get it early so they can offer you their thoughts too.

Doesn’t add up against the Chaos Warriors’ price though?
You may have seen our blog on this before, but essentially Chaos Warriors were additive to the content in the main game already included for that Race, so the DLC adds to and makes playable what is in the base game. Beastmen are a new Race to the game, there’s not a significant lump of work already done that we’re adding on to.

Where are the Ghorgons/Jabbers/Harpies?
As with the other races we can’t include every unit unfortunately. Mostly this is down to time and cost and as nearly every unit is unique and often very elaborate, we get to a point where the price for the player just gets too high. For example, adding the Jabberslythe alone would have been as costly as all the artwork that went into Charlemagne.

We’re always looking to get the balance right though, and will be looking at all the feedback.

Can’t I have them rather than the new campaign?
While that might seem obvious, it’s not an even trade for us given the different members of the team available (campaign map artists and character modellers are different people for example). And we took the decision that adding a significant chunk of new gameplay with a new campaign would be worth more to more players in the end. Judging the balance of content is always something we’re looking at though so it’ll be interesting to see what players make of it.

What magic do the Beastmen have access to?
Death, Beasts and their own unique lore, Lore of the Wild. The latter two lores introduce new summoning spells to the game – Lore of Beasts wizards can summon Manticores to battle and Lore of The Wild Bray-Shamans can summon towering Cygors.

Can I play MP verses a friend who has Beastmen and I don’t?
Yes, everyone will get the Beastmen data so that they not only appear as a new adversary in the game, but that you can play co-op MP campaign or MP battle with someone who owns it.

Forum Terms & Conditions

Formal disclaimer: any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.

Comments

• MishrakMishrak Posts: 161Registered Users
    As much as I'd love full rosters, I guess we must bow to the market forces. Jabbers sound legit pricey!

In light of this, can we expect the necessary modding tools eventually that will allow people far cleverer than me to spend their own life savings on making the missing units?

Thanks for the quick feedback Bart and team.
  • PlaidShirtsPlaidShirts Junior Member Posts: 280Registered Users
    New multiplayer features you say? =)
  • MattzoMattzo Member United KingdomPosts: 764Registered Users
    Excellent FAQ, thank you.
    "Everything in war is simple. But the simplest thing is difficult."
  • HeroofRome1HeroofRome1 Member Posts: 1,386Registered Users
    Thanks for the feedback!

Will the minor Beastmen factions also be around in the main canpaign?
    Team Dwarfs, Team Empire, Team Bretonnia Team Grim, Team elf slayers, Team Belegar
  • Joey CAJoey CA Creative Assembly Posts: 750Moderators, Administrators, CA Staff Mods, CA Staff

Thanks for the feedback!

As it says in the post:

Yes. As part of the update, Beastmen will be added as an AI race on the Grand Campaign. So even if you don’t buy the DLC, your Campaign game will be refreshed with a new formidable threat to contend with.
    The Community Coordinator for Total War: WARHAMMER

The formal disclaimer: any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.
  • hadshads Posts: 45Registered Users
    While the missing units reasoning makes sense, it is a pity that half the monsters in the army are not there. Specially the jabber, whose absence might end up in an army vulnerability against flying enemies.
    Joey CA said:

Thanks for the feedback!

As it says in the post:

Thanks for the reply!

Just wanted some beastmen to contend with early on in the Empire canpaign before I can face Khazrak!
    Team Dwarfs, Team Empire, Team Bretonnia Team Grim, Team elf slayers, Team Belegar
  • RainWizzardRainWizzard Member Posts: 43Registered Users
    Hey Guys
    Thanks for the Q and A and I am really looking forward to the DLC, it is a shame about the missing units but I understand that they would have been hard to model and animate.
    Is there any chance in the future that they will be in future DLC/ FLC especially if the share animations with other creatures that are later added to to the game? or is this unlikely for at least some time? Lets face it everyone loves the Jabbas and I would love to eventually see them in game even if it is not in this iteration.
    Many thanks
  • hadshads Posts: 45Registered Users

Hey Guys
    Thanks for the Q and A and I am really looking forward to the DLC, it is a shame about the missing units but I understand that they would have been hard to model and animate.
    Is there any chance in the future that they will be in future DLC/ FLC especially if the share animations with other creatures that are later added to to the game? or is this unlikely for at least some time? Lets face it everyone loves the Jabbas and I would love to eventually see them in game even if it is not in this iteration.
    Many thanks

Yeah that's true. Is there a chance for the jabby to join the herd someday?
  • theedge634theedge634 Senior Member Posts: 1,547Registered Users
    edited July 2016
    @Joey CA Will the Beastmen be opened up to future FLC to flesh out Legendary Lords to 3, like the plan for the other races?

Also is there any chance of a Doombull in the future as a lord option? I feel as if their modeling should be much easier than that of something like a Jabberslythe. As Doombulls tend to just look like more heavily armored minotaur units.

Also I don't know if it was fixed, but I never did see what the generic Lord options were for Beastmen on steam info? I assume Great Bray Shaman and Beastlord?
    Post edited by theedge634 on
  • myselfnapoleonmyselfnapoleon Senior Member Posts: 423Registered Users
    It's a shame that you cannot play as anybody else than the Beastmen in the mini-campaign. I would have liked quite a lot to play as Middenland. Plus, I think that such campaigns are particularly suited for h2h mulitplayer campaign due to their smaller scale, and I was looking forward to playing it against a friend. As it is, I feel like the campaign pack is a little bit lacklustre.
    edited July 2016

It's a shame that you cannot play as anybody else than the Beastmen in the mini-campaign. I would have liked quite a lot to play as Middenland. Plus, I think that such campaigns are particularly suited for h2h mulitplayer campaign due to their smaller scale, and I was looking forward to playing it against a friend. As it is, I feel like the campaign pack is a little bit lacklustre.

I'm someone will mod Todbringer in. After all he is a very popular Empire character!
  • Ephraim_DaltonEphraim_Dalton Senior Member Posts: 8,572Registered Users
    Y'know, CA has been pretty open about their decisions and plans with this game (Chaos DLC, RO, future content and now this), and yet there are still people who accuse them of poor communication and missing interaction. Shows you exactly what kind of people you're dealing with.

• LeztaLezta Posts: 40Registered Users
    Aww, I can't play as Toddbringer in the Mini-Campaign? :(
    Lezta said:

As it stands. No :(
  • PetromirPetromir Senior Member Posts: 2,017Registered Users
    Lezta said:

Mods may be your only option sadly.

Y'know, CA has been pretty open about their decisions and plans with this game (Chaos DLC, RO, future content and now this), and yet there are still people who accuse them of poor communication and missing interaction. Shows you exactly what kind of people you're dealing with.

To be fair, I'm still waiting on communication on whether we will get the ability to import models into the game, and whether they are even discussing a remote possibility of adding Kislev, Tilea, Estalia, Night Goblins & Squigs. They've done very well with this game. The difference in it going from really good to great in my view, will be not skimping on the subfactions... especially of humanity.
  • LeztaLezta Posts: 40Registered Users
    edited July 2016

Lezta said:

I wonder if this is due to a high level of scripted events in Eye for an Eye.. If so, then that makes some sense. Still sucks though, I was planning to play Empire in Eye for an Eye and Beastmen in the Grand Campaign, just for some variety.

Also it kills replayability and bit for Eye for an Eye, which might affect it's perceived value.

To be fair, I'm still waiting on communication on whether we will get the ability to import models into the game, and whether they are even discussing a remote possibility of adding Kislev, Tilea, Estalia, Night Goblins & Squigs. They've done very well with this game. The difference in it going from really good to great in my view, will be not skimping on the subfactions... especially of humanity.
    Modding depends more on how GW handles things and they're notoriously paranoid about foreign changes to their IP, so it's out of CA's hands.

Subfactions will be a cost issue. If there's a ready market for minor factions they'll get made in some way (and then promptly receive hate for being "Cuttn'paste! LAZY!").

• IturaldeIturalde Junior Member Posts: 21Registered Users
    That's a very nice and informative Q&A, thank you for that.
    I do have one further question regarding the Beastman addition to the Campaign.

What will happen with savegames that were started before the DLC comes out. Will Beastmen Hordes just magically appear, or will they only show up in Campaigns started after the DLC and accompanying patch have been released?
    Ituralde said:

What will happen with savegames that were started before the DLC comes out. Will Beastmen Hordes just magically appear, or will they only show up in Campaigns started after the DLC and accompanying patch have been released?

If it's like past releases then you'll have to restart the campaign to get the new content because of startpos changes which aren't applied to old savegames.

• SantobubuSantobubu Member Posts: 317Registered Users
    Dear CA peeps,

I believe that you are selling yourself short in that campaign as not much is being explaining as to its mechanics. I believe that you could have added Boris as a playable Lord and Middenheim as a playable faction on top of Beastmen. Adding the greenskin tribe as playable factions as well on this new map could have meant a lot of fun for my mate and myself in a new coop campaign as we are bored to death of the grand campaign, having finished the game with all races...

It's sad that this update feels like a half finished one sided single player campaign lumped with an incomplete race pack as the roster is not fully there.

Honestly, take your time to deliver proper content, and then your asking price will feel like it's the right one. On the bight side I am glad that the Beastmen will add some needed renewal to the grand campaign.
    Lezta said:

Lezta said:

I wonder if this is due to a high level of scripted events in Eye for an Eye.. If so, then that makes some sense. Still sucks though, I was planning to play Empire in Eye for an Eye and Beastmen in the Grand Campaign, just for some variety.

Also it kills replayability and bit for Eye for an Eye, which might affect it's perceived value.
    It seems a very strange decision to me. However, I have little knowledge of the gamming industry so what more can I say ?
  • DeColdDeCold Junior Member Posts: 8Registered Users
    I`m kinda still concerned about some of the signature units been left out for all the races. Will we ever see them? And will other DLC races get the same treatment? I kinda do not want skaven if most of fun and interesting units are left out.
  • KhannorKhannor Junior Member Posts: 21Registered Users
    I just want to throw out there that I would have paid 30 bucks if the roster were complete.

I understand that that might not hold for everybody.

Therefore it might be an idea to hold a poll. Do you want this roster for 20 or this for 30, that ought to be a good idea right?
  • PetromirPetromir Senior Member Posts: 2,017Registered Users
    Ituralde said:

I'd suspect only new ones.
    edited July 2016

Modding depends more on how GW handles things and they're notoriously paranoid about foreign changes to their IP, so it's out of CA's hands.

Subfactions will be a cost issue. If there's a ready market for minor factions they'll get made in some way (and then promptly receive hate for being "Cuttn'paste! LAZY!").
    I'm fine with modding depending on GW, but there should be more communication on it. It has never been expressly stated if this is the extent of the modding capabilities we will receive, or if they intend to give us more at some point.

I can understand their worry in people creating models that are outside the IP and putting them into the game. But the setting up of some sort of system where we can get models approved for integration would be nice. We need those morion helmets in the early screenshots for Estalia and Tilea units to get some individual flavor. Also if we can get modding on board with a decent system to add approved models, they can take care of the individual units of Knightly Orders and other one off units.
    Khannor said:

I just want to throw out there that I would have paid 30 bucks if the roster were complete.

I understand that that might not hold for everybody.

Therefore it might be an idea to hold a poll. Do you want this roster for 20 or this for 30, that ought to be a good idea right?

Yea I will break the bank for full rosters all around... as well as subfactions and such. I will pay a pretty penny to get some varied none Reikland human units in the game.
  • MishrakMishrak Posts: 161Registered Users
    I guess if I had to choose between a story campaign and an incomplete roster and no story campaign and a complete roster, I would choose the latter.

I only say this because I guess I expected these story campaigns to be like Age of Charlemagne in terms of scope. It's entirely possible that Eye for an Eye will be amazing and will blow me away, but I'm a little worried about replayability with only one playable faction.

It's also entirely possible that the story campaign is much cheaper to produce than the missing units and that this is not a fair comparison. I'll probably never know.

Like some others here, I am worried about what future units will be omitted from other factions.

Regardless, I'm excited :) /whinny
  • warhydra1313warhydra1313 Posts: 61Registered Users
    when can we expect wood elves
    Team Wood Elves, Team Tomb Kings, Team Skaven, Team Bretonnia , Team Dark Elves,Team Halflings