Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Wood Elves Seasons, Forest "Corruption", World Roots, Wild Hunt mechanic?

Comments

• G_Masta_PhunkG_Masta_Phunk Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 90
    Instead of taking over cities they could use their corruption to take over the city and sort of have it "overgrown". As I do not see them completely destroying/killing everyone I can see them taking over the city and abandoning it letting nature take back over. Then instead of recruiting out of cities they could recruit once the forest corruption spreads so much that they can gain reinforcements from it.

*shrugs* I think it would be fun.. instead of a nomadic or "horde" faction that destroys everything they could just cause a slow progression of overgrown forests taking over anything the humans try to build.
    “There is something to be learned from a rainstorm. When meeting with a sudden shower, you try not to get wet and run quickly along the road. But doing such things as passing under the eaves of houses, you still get wet. When you are resolved from the beginning, you will not be perplexed, though you will still get the same soaking. This understanding extends to everything.”
  • Commissar_GCommissar_G Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 14,870
    Yeah I could definitely see them taking human settlements with the aesthetic changing to forested.

Like how beast paths are just over-foliaged underways.
    MarcusLivius: You are indeed a lord of entitlement.
  • TayvarTayvar Registered Users Posts: 12,406

the only reason people are mentioning the forest corruption thing, is we want a plausible reason to leave the forest barring a wild hunt every year. i know there is someone out there who wants to do nothing more than sit in the forest and do nothing until the next wild hunt comes around, but most total war players are used to having to go out and expand. or raze if a horde. a faction that does nothing for 3/4 of the game is not an interesting faction, lore be damned.

Not an interesting faction for an Total War Game, to be more precise, for a the Sims Warhammer they might be okey :D. I say that somehow the Forest Spirits should take control and make the Wood Elves help them in spreading the Forest/spreading Forest Corruption to other places. :)
  • DeathofjamsDeathofjams Registered Users Posts: 290

the only reason people are mentioning the forest corruption thing, is we want a plausible reason to leave the forest barring a wild hunt every year. i know there is someone out there who wants to do nothing more than sit in the forest and do nothing until the next wild hunt comes around, but most total war players are used to having to go out and expand. or raze if a horde. a faction that does nothing for 3/4 of the game is not an interesting faction, lore be damned.

Well you wouldn't be doing "nothing" for 3/4 of the game; you'd be developing your economy, engaging in non-wild hunt excursions (perhaps to sack your neighbours for some money, to help defeat Chaos, to strike back against invaders or to complete quests), and defending against threats such as Beastmen, Orcs and rebel forest spirits. Sid Meier said that "a game is a series of interesting choices". It's entirely possible for those choices to be related to things other than expansion or destruction.

Of course, this requires more depth to be added to these other features, but that's no bad thing. Take the WE economy. The OP only talks about it in relation to WE armies, but I made a suggestion in another thread where I talked about how the seasons might affect their economy as well:

"Another way to do it would be to make it [the Wild Hunt] an organic part of the Wood Elf economy, and combine it with the seasonal nature of Athel Loren. Say that in Winter your economy basically craps out: all your buildings would produce minimal income and upkeep would shoot up. Winter would last for quite a few turns, so if you haven't stocked up on cash beforehand you'd risk going badly bankrupt and leaving yourself vulnerable. But the other seasons would give you bonuses to allow you to do that: Spring would make recruitment, growth and building cheaper, Summer would give you *big* bonuses to sacking and looting income as well as combat, and Autumn would give you extra income from your buildings, to represent the harvest. So the campaign would have a nice rhythm to it: recruit and build in spring, go raiding on "Wild Hunts" in Summer, start stocking up on cash in Autumn, and then hunker down in Winter and hope you have enough stockpiled to survive while defending against threats. "

Combine this with a much more involved and complicated building and tech tree, and I think you'd be facing plenty of interesting choices, even when you're not out on the war-path. Do I build this income building now, boosting my income next year but reducing my winter stockpiles? Do I raid the Bretonnians, building up more reserves but risking them striking back during winter when I'm vulnerable? Do I send my armies out to help the human races fight Chaos, or do I hold back and hope that they'll defeat them alone?

Wood Elves would still be a very turtley faction, but that's fine. Lots of people quite enjoy that style of gameplay, including myself. It's not the end of the world if some people don't like it. We already have hyper-aggressive factions based on expansion and constant war (the Greenskins, Chaos, Beastmen). Why bother using this world full of different races if you're just going to make them all play like standard TW factions?
  • chirishman343chirishman343 Registered Users Posts: 106
    there is a difference between turtling up and then expanding once you have hit critical mass and just turtling until a predetermined time to go wild hunting. lore-wise, apparently, the WE don't expand. ever. maybe the odd colony that was thrown in to make things slightly more interesting, but they don't do conquest or rampant destruction (not to the degree of the orcs or chaos).

you're still doing pretty much nothing but building for 3/4 of the game. me saying "nothing" was hyperbole, and you are correct there will be something to do, but it nothing substantial. if they build quickly then you burn through the buildings tree super fast and have nothing to do. if building takes a long time, then you hit enter for a couple of turns. same with the tech tree. research fast, you run out of stuff to research, slow you make no progress.

lore-wise the forest provide everything they need, so they dont particularly NEED to leave. doesn't really fit in a total war game where we need bigger armies and need to expand to maintain bigger armies, bringing us into conflict with more people, thus needing bigger armies again. it all feeds into itself.

to finish off, cuz i'm getting way too into this, the WE aren't really surrounded by enemies. brett will presumably be allied then you got brett based factions and maybe estalia and beastmen? the dwarves aren't going to make it to you most of the time and once you kill a beastmen army, it doesn't have any cities to come back from. so you have nothing really to do other than prep for chaos or arbitrarily attack your own shield. or spend several turns hoofing it to attack some other people for no reason (though i guess the wild hunt does that anyway)
  • SchepelSchepel Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,548
    Interesting suggestions. The map does not really leave much room for the Wood Elves, though. I am rather afraid they will not feature in the game therefore.
  • SiWISiWI Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 11,895
    Schepel said:

Interesting suggestions. The map does not really leave much room for the Wood Elves, though. I am rather afraid they will not feature in the game therefore.

That fear I can calm down:
    CA has stated that they want to bring ALL 16!?! Warhammer races into the trilogy.
    Data mining suggest that they are the next race to come
    @Joey CA has a Wood Elves army ;)

Ratling_Guns.gif?t=1554385892
  • FoefallerFoefaller Registered Users Posts: 178
    It's kinda why I want either a new set of settlements for WE to occupy outside of Athel Loren, or for Athel Loren to have it's own smaller campaign map for the Wood Elves to spend most of their time between Wild Hunts or whatever fighting over with Beastmen and hostile spirits. Preferably both. I think the idea of having a small actual nation and military, but lots of force projection through hidden outposts and the worldroots would be very fun to play, though I'll admit there will need to be a very robust campaign mechanic to make you want to go out and do that on a regular basis.

As for early enemies, other than Drycha leading a hostile WE/all forest spirt faction, I suspect one or two of the Dwarf factions in the Grey Mountains will have a diplomacy hit/aversion, if not start at war with the Wood Elves. Lots of grudges from the War of the Beard and the Season of Retribution that haven't been settled, as well as grudges related to past throngs who went into the forest looking for vengeance and came back beaten, if they came back at all.
  • Galvanized IronGalvanized Iron Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,058
    edited August 2016
    Forest Corruption and Horde Mechanics... Why do you all have to come up with such contrived convulations? The solution is very easy.

The Wood Elves have their settled base in Athel Lorien. From there they go out and hunt down their enemies. Why would they need to conquer land to do that? I mean if Beastmen make do with no income at all, then why would Wood Elves need a huge economical base? All they need is the ability to eventually field 3-4 armies and an inhospitable home province to deter all but the most determined invaders.

As for recruitment it is easily solved by merging normal recruitment and global recruitment into something we could call "Forest Recruitment". Forest Recruitment allows you to recruit from any location, but at the same price and speed as normal recruitment. You should also be able to recruit lords and heroes right at your army, just like hordes do. The catch would be that you would have to park yourself in a patch of trees to do so. That would also be entirely justified by the world roots concept.

Unit upkeep can be tuned as necessary to fit the single province income levels. Perhaps upkeep could be reduced as a reward for defeating your enemies. In either case a small faction like the Wood Elves should not exactly field numberless legions anyhow.
    |Sith|Lord|Galvanized Iron
  • SchepelSchepel Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,548
    SiWi said:

Schepel said:

CA has stated that they want to bring ALL 16!?! Warhammer races into the trilogy.

A trilogy... Meaning what, exactly? Two more TWW games? Or serious expansions to the base game? If the former, then it could very well be that Wood Elves are not going to feature in this one.
  • SiWISiWI Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 11,895
    Schepel said:

SiWi said:

Schepel said:

A trilogy... Meaning what, exactly? Two more TWW games? Or serious expansions to the base game? If the former, then it could very well be that Wood Elves are not going to feature in this one.
    The trilogy is suppose to work together, hence when you own all games you have one big game together (if only 2 of them also can combine, isn't sure yet, at least not if you combine 1 and 3 for example).
    So even in that case, it would come together at one point.
    The data mine evidence, as well some logic reasons would suggest that they are part of game one.
    Ratling_Guns.gif?t=1554385892
  • TayvarTayvar Registered Users Posts: 12,406
    edited August 2016
    @Galvanized Iron I don't think that Upkeep Reduction would be Enough To Support An Single Province Race, but they can give them an Province that make an ridiculous amount of currency, even more so then Norsca Provinces and some Economic Technologies to get the amount of currency from a Single Province even higher, it's something that could possibly work for the Wood Elves.
  • GRAY_HATGRAY_HAT Senior Member UKRegistered Users Posts: 5,394

2512 - Naieth the Prophetess has a vision showing the Death of Athel Loren. Ariel directs the nobles of the forest to begin hunting the Beastmen in the wider world.

wood elves are now on the prowl so to speak so any force turtling is up for debate

-700 - The kindred of the Wythel Glades leave the forest of Loren and migrates over the Grey Mountains to the great forests beyond, never to be seen again. They pass into legend as the Lost Kindred.

they have so could in theory settle else where (even if this one has been forgotten about by GW)
    Team Wood Elves

boyfights loves wood elves.

"Heaven forbid that under the Vail of military training we should subject our young men to the lust of our general" - Hanno to the Carthaginian senate on the future of Hannibal.

"Guard mode is back in Warhammer :)" - Darren_CA

"It's amazing how many mistakes your enemy will make in haste after seeing that he's outgunned" -The Organ King
  • DeathofjamsDeathofjams Registered Users Posts: 290
    edited August 2016

you're still doing pretty much nothing but building for 3/4 of the game. me saying "nothing" was hyperbole, and you are correct there will be something to do, but it nothing substantial. if they build quickly then you burn through the buildings tree super fast and have nothing to do. if building takes a long time, then you hit enter for a couple of turns. same with the tech tree. research fast, you run out of stuff to research, slow you make no progress.

I agree that if the Wood Elves had a level of building and settlement development equivalent to the current factions, then it would be a bit dull. But there's no reason why this would need to be the case. If Athel Loren has lots of building slots, and the decisions you make in filling those building slots have important gameplay consequences (i.e. they involve making actual interesting choices) then I don't see the problem. 4X games like Civ and Endless Legend manage to make this sort of stuff perfectly interesting, so why not Total War? Even research can be made a bit more interesting, if thought through. Look at the new Beastmen tech tree for example; they've cleared tried to make it so that deciding what technologies to research involves at least a little bit of thought.

A lot of people have been asking for more depth from the building side of the game - this would be the perfect place to add it. Make the WE the faction for those weird people who like careful settlement design and economic planning.

to finish off, cuz i'm getting way too into this, the WE aren't really surrounded by enemies. brett will presumably be allied then you got brett based factions and maybe estalia and beastmen? the dwarves aren't going to make it to you most of the time and once you kill a beastmen army, it doesn't have any cities to come back from. so you have nothing really to do other than prep for chaos or arbitrarily attack your own shield. or spend several turns hoofing it to attack some other people for no reason (though i guess the wild hunt does that anyway)

Looking at the campaign map, the Athel Loren region actually has pathways that lead out to the north, in between Karak Angaraz and Karak Norn, and to the south-west, towards Karak Izor (you can actually march your armies surprisingly far down them even now, which makes me think they'll almost certainly be navigable). So you'd likely have dwarfs on your doorstep for much of the game (or, if not them, Greenskins). The southern path is also pretty close to Tilea, and the northern one to the Empire, so even they might get involved.

As for the Bretonnians - remember, that there are many Bretonnian duchies, who often fight among each other, so fighting one isn't necessarily harmful to your standing with them all. If you had it so that some Bretonnian factions were more hostile to the WE than others, you'd have an incentive to encourage the growth of friendly Bretonnians and destroy others. Or you could try and keep them balanced so that none of them grow to threaten you.

Beastmen are a bit fragile at the moment to pose a constant threat, but there's no reason why Athel Loren couldn't have unique Beastmen horde spawning mechanics. I'd have hordes, led by Morghur, spawning every so often - and each time they come out they're more and more powerful, roughly mirroring the system we currently have with Chaos. Wood Elf campaigns could almost have a survival aspect to them; can you get yourself in a position to defend against increasingly dire odds? CA did something much the same with Attila, where much of the late-game was highly focused on defence and survival rather than expansion and conquest.

And there's no reason why you can't have the odd Greenskin horde pop up as well, or even undead - I think Kemmler invades Athel Loren at some point in the backstory.

Finally, I wouldn't be surprised if Athel Loren starts off divided between a handful of Wood Elf and Forest Spirit factions, so you've got them to deal with too, as least in the early campaign.

So multiple Bretonnian factions, some Dwarfs, and Beastmen/Greenskin hordes, and other WEs: that seems like plenty of enemies to me.
    edited August 2016
    Tayvar said:

@Galvanized Iron I don't think that Upkeep Reduction would be Enough To Support An Single Province Race, but they can give them an Province that make an ridiculous amount of currency, even more so then Norsca Provinces and some Economic Technologies to get the amount of currency from a Single Province even higher, it's something that could possibly work for the Wood Elves.

Depends on how large those reductions are. Basically higher income or higher discounts has exactly the same effect, except that discounts encourages a more active playstyle as you get more out of raiding and looting.

But yes, Norscans should work in a similar way if they ever become playable.
    Post edited by Galvanized Iron on
  • GreyKnightDanteGreyKnightDante Registered Users Posts: 339
    Athel Loren is FAR to small of a province for the Wood Elves to inhabit....At most, I can only see around 1 or 2 province with 2 or 3 settlements each in it......

They need to make Wood Elves the ability to expand if they have any chance of being a competent faction in late game...
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello I am an admin from the Warhammer Wiki. Please feel free to give any suggestions on how to our improve at this forum thread here! ANY help or suggestions is welcomed!

• oliverpmasonoliverpmason Registered Users Posts: 1,995
    From what I've read from the suggestions I would like to see a book of grudges type mechanism to get you out and about, settling of other forests like in Middenheim, and an expanded map of Athel Loren once you are in there.

Forest corruption and settling human lands does not sit right with me.

Seasons is good as well.

Athel Loren is FAR to small of a province for the Wood Elves to inhabit....At most, I can only see around 1 or 2 province with 2 or 3 settlements each in it......

They need to make Wood Elves the ability to expand if they have any chance of being a competent faction in late game...

Why? If Chaos can win the campaign with one horde easily then Wood Elves should be able to make due with a not only one settlement, but three if them! Even four if you wanna go the Reikland route.

That can support as many armies as CA prices them to do. Tech tree, which should be a literal tree, makes sure bonuses scale over time to balance it out. But 2-3 armies is enough to be competitive if they don't have much to defend. It is the number of provinces that drive the demand for more armies and not the other way around. With just one province you need less defenders and can use more armies offensively.
  • Nyanko73Nyanko73 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,351
    edited August 2016
    I think Athel Loren as the only place where wood elves can have settlements is viable as long as the right mechanics are implemented.

- Every other race than wood elves should suffer heavy attrition in Athel Loren.
    - Every settlement in Athel Loren should repopulate itself after being razed without the player actually needing to spend money or be there and the only way to beat the elves would be by destroying every single of their settlements in one turn.
    - Elves should have a different terrain difficulty than other races, with fast movement in forest and more penalties in plains and mountains.
    - Athel Loren should be immune to corruption, either from chaos or undeath.
    - Wood elves should get some income from expanding the forest in the territories they encamp, some sort of raiding but without any income penalties, only some more difficult terrain to cross for other races.
    - Athel Loren settlements should never suffer from public order.
    - Their income should be based on nature, like some sort of mother earth faith or something.
    - Elves should be able to resplenish their troops in any forest they are staying and should be almost invisible while doing so.

Team Yennefer

"A blinding flash materialised into a transparent sphere, and inside it loomed a shape, assuming contours and shapes at frightening speed. Dandelion recognised it at once. He knew those wild, black curls and the obsidian star on a velvet ribbon. What he didn’t know and had never seen before was the face. It was a face of rage and fury, the face of the goddess of vengeance, destruction and death." - Time of contempt
  • Karnil_Vark_KhaitanKarnil_Vark_Khaitan Member Registered Users Posts: 424
  • GRAY_HATGRAY_HAT Senior Member UKRegistered Users Posts: 5,394
    Nyanko73 said:

I think Athel Loren as the only place where wood elves can have settlements is viable as long as the right mechanics are implemented.

- Every other race than wood elves should suffer heavy attrition in Athel Loren.

- AGREE, almost a given at this point
    Nyanko73 said:

- Every settlement in Athel Loren should repopulate itself after being razed without the player actually needing to spend money or be there and the only way to beat the elves would be by destroying every single of their settlements in one turn.

-50/50, Armyless repopulation sounds fun, one turn wood elf whack-a-mole does not.
    Nyanko73 said:

- Elves should have a different terrain difficulty than other races, with fast movement in forest and more penalties in plains and mountains.

-DISSAGREE, ignoring woodland slow effects makes sense but they are still elves and can get over rocks just as quickly as dwarfs
    Nyanko73 said:

- Athel Loren should be immune to corruption, either from chaos or
    undeath.

-AGREE, well ish a base of 8 anti corruption and a few anti corruption buildings should make it effectively immune to the AI but not the beastman player out for blood(some of the sub regions are corrupted already).
    Nyanko73 said:

- Wood elves should get some income from expanding the forest in the territories they encamp, some sort of raiding but without any income penalties, only some more difficult terrain to cross for other races.

-MAYBE, not sure how this would balance out
    Nyanko73 said:

- Athel Loren settlements should never suffer from public order.

-DISAGREE, but all rebelions should be forest spirits angry at the elves for not appeasing them.
    Nyanko73 said:

- Their income should be based on nature, like some sort of mother earth faith or something.

AGREE, or drugs
    Nyanko73 said:

- Elves should be able to resplenish their troops in any forest they are staying and should be almost invisible while doing so.

AGREE

Team Wood Elves

boyfights loves wood elves.

"Heaven forbid that under the Vail of military training we should subject our young men to the lust of our general" - Hanno to the Carthaginian senate on the future of Hannibal.

"Guard mode is back in Warhammer :)" - Darren_CA

"It's amazing how many mistakes your enemy will make in haste after seeing that he's outgunned" -The Organ King
  • krunshkrunsh Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 3,693
    edited August 2016
    I would expect a forest-path mechanic that uses the same maps as the beastmen (With corruption removed). I'm not sure why you call it lazy? A simply teleport mechanic is way lazier than the system they came up with for underway and forest path.

It also just makes a lot of sense with the wood elves being the anti-beastmen, and using forest path maps for ambushes (Which I'm assuming will be what they will thrive for).
    i5-3550 CPU @ 3.30GHz
    Geforce gtx 970
    16gb ram

Team Skaven
  • oliverpmasonoliverpmason Registered Users Posts: 1,995
    Large parts of Athel Loren are chaos corrupted so I don't see why they should be protected from it.
  • thereign83thereign83 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 100
    So I stated in my thread before this thread that I'm pretty sure that the WE will have mechanics similar to the slavs in the Attila. They will be able to spread their settlements and forest through recolonizing razed settlements for free. They will have buffs for fighting in their own forest territory. They will have forest type corruption that hurts chaos factions and vampires. They will have a grudge mechanic for their wild hunt that sets them out on missions. I would urge everybody to check out that thread as it is a lengthy discussion. The wood elves will play like slavs from Attila.
    Cant stop the Reign :cool:
  • GreyKnightDanteGreyKnightDante Registered Users Posts: 339
    edited August 2016

Why? If Chaos can win the campaign with one horde easily then Wood Elves should be able to make due with a not only one settlement, but three if them! Even four if you wanna go the Reikland route.

That can support as many armies as CA prices them to do. Tech tree, which should be a literal tree, makes sure bonuses scale over time to balance it out. But 2-3 armies is enough to be competitive if they don't have much to defend. It is the number of provinces that drive the demand for more armies and not the other way around. With just one province you need less defenders and can use more armies offensively.
    the problem is that people DON'T WANT the Wood Elves to be a horde faction.... I REALLY don't want to see the forums flooded with post saying how dumb and lazy CA has been in making Wood Elves a horde faction by any means....
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello I am an admin from the Warhammer Wiki. Please feel free to give any suggestions on how to our improve at this forum thread here! ANY help or suggestions is welcomed!

• TeutatesTeutates Registered Users Posts: 58
    edited August 2016

Forest Corruption and Horde Mechanics... Why do you all have to come up with such contrived convulations? The solution is very easy.

The Wood Elves have their settled base in Athel Lorien. From there they go out and hunt down their enemies. Why would they need to conquer land to do that? I mean if Beastmen make do with no income at all, then why would Wood Elves need a huge economical base? All they need is the ability to eventually field 3-4 armies and an inhospitable home province to deter all but the most determined invaders.

As for recruitment it is easily solved by merging normal recruitment and global recruitment into something we could call "Forest Recruitment". Forest Recruitment allows you to recruit from any location, but at the same price and speed as normal recruitment. You should also be able to recruit lords and heroes right at your army, just like hordes do. The catch would be that you would have to park yourself in a patch of trees to do so. That would also be entirely justified by the world roots concept.

Unit upkeep can be tuned as necessary to fit the single province income levels. Perhaps upkeep could be reduced as a reward for defeating your enemies. In either case a small faction like the Wood Elves should not exactly field numberless legions anyhow.

Totally my point in other threads, WE don't need anything else but athel loren and they would quite enjoy sacking and plundering other factions cities without feeling the need to settle anywhere else. World roots would allow them to evade outnumbering AI while in the forest, for they would have no stronghold to take refuge in, as to reinforce. WE would have no strongholds but any forest landscape would give them strategical (movements, range, ambushes chances) as tactical (units stats boosts) bonuses

WE are close to orks mechanic but with only one settlement and no waaagh effect, they may add a season effect though to enhance WE bestiality thus units stats during summer.

WE wouldn't have high upkeep for they have no armor and mostly use poor weaponery but magic arrows or specific weapons for heroes, bytheway their troops are supported by forest spirits : they don't reclaim a sold...

The minicampaign could be focused on bretonnia and athel loren with beastmen herds spawnings and invading everywhere, thus WE could not let the situation going under and pick the fights. The DLC would be quite the occasion to add WE and to enhance Bretonnia and Beastmen rosters.

Long campaign could begin with WE being rather weak at beginning, facing beastmen to grow stronger and then having to go forward to help bretonnia as other humans facing the unstoppable chaos invasion (or not) for obvious reason : once bretonnia falls then athel loren is next on the list.
    Warhammer :
    Wood Elves kinbands
    Beastmen herds

Rome 2 :
    Gaul tribes
    edited August 2016

the problem is that people DON'T WANT the Wood Elves to be a horde faction.... I REALLY don't want to see the forums flooded with post saying how dumb and lazy CA has been in making Wood Elves a horde faction by any means....
    You completely missed all I wrote about them being settled in Athel Lorien. I did not suggest that they should be a horde, just that they should be able to recruit as if they were one. Ie global recruitment, which we already have, but faster and cheaper and preferably when camped in a forest only.

I mentioned hordes as a comparison.
  • krunshkrunsh Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 3,693
    I wouldn't mind them being a horde, as long as they are unique.
    i5-3550 CPU @ 3.30GHz
    Geforce gtx 970
    16gb ram

Team Skaven
  • Commissar_GCommissar_G Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 14,870
    edited August 2016
    You guys are trying to be too fancy. The Beastmen speculation was just like this, random ideas which are totally detached from the core aspects of total war.

I don't want to play Athel Loren: Tower Defence.

I obviously have no proof that any of you are incorrect. But look at what we got with Beastmen.

A horde,
    1 new campaign mechanic,
    Re-used everything else.

Which I'm happy with, I enjoyed the Beastmen campaign much more than the WoC one. But despite all the pre-beastmen speculation they did still play like a TW race. This is a TW game remember, not a lore simulator.

The Dwarfs in the lore cannot ever win. But I've done it 5 times now.

Just keep that in mind. Not trying to damper speculation, I love speculation, but remember it will be within the confines of a TW game and what that represents.

"Total War first."
    MarcusLivius: You are indeed a lord of entitlement.
  • TeutatesTeutates Registered Users Posts: 58
    So what, anything lorewise which has been suggested here is merely using mechanics already in the game :
    - athel loren with settlement to enhance to up in tiers
    - wood roots to fast travel from a nearby forest to another as to reinforce/recruit units/heroes/lords (the new map to be added, would work exactly like beast path or underground travelling meaning surrounding enemies armies would have a chance to intercept the running away army and trigger the new map)
    - forest giving strategical as tactical bonuses to WE, no bonuses without forest
    - wild hunt recruitment/movement/stats bonuses seasonnal related (working like moorslieb bonuses but with longer time periods) to help from times to times for WE far from athel loren or any forest would be in danger (no bonuses nor way of escape at all).

The only bothering thing would be for WE to be able to go back to athel loren if under attack when quite far from it, this could be easily addressed thanks to wood roots allowing WE to go back in athel loren through any forest either by building something before (kind of a settlement : a specific magic tree or something) or a need of 2 turns "camping" in any forest (meaning you actually travel at the end of the second turn) to not make WE gods of mobility thus uncatchable (second option my favourite obviously).

This would allow WE to be quite mobile like any other faction though having the urge to keep an eye on athel loren to not become homeless thus become an easy prey (anyway I think you could still retake athel loren if you lost it and have some armies still) as unable to use wood roots, but to reach nearby forests only maybe, for they'd rely upon athel loren belonging to WE.
    Warhammer :
    Wood Elves kinbands
    Beastmen herds

Rome 2 :
    Gaul tribes