Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Wood Elves Seasons, Forest "Corruption", World Roots, Wild Hunt mechanic?

Comments

• Commissar_GCommissar_G Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 14,870
    Teutates said:

So what, anything lorewise which has been suggested here is merely using mechanics already in the game :

My point is you're trying a bit too hard to be fancy. But at the same time every single race that shares mechanics with another races reduces said races appeal and uniqueness.

World roots seem cool and all, but what do you think the actual odds are of getting them into the game?

"I can teleport to every forest" is a bit... OP? I'm not super concerned with balance in my campaigns but if you take away the need for army positioning the challenge vanishes. If you just make it another underway stance then it's already going to be the same as dwarfs, greenskins, beastmen, chaos dwarfs and skaven (yay excitement(!)). But if it's only an underway stance then you would be incapable of going back to defend Athel Loren in any sort of time to make a difference.

See my point now?

MarcusLivius: You are indeed a lord of entitlement.
  • TeutatesTeutates Registered Users Posts: 58

"I can teleport to every forest" is a bit... OP? I'm not super concerned with balance in my campaigns but if you take away the need for army positioning the challenge vanishes. If you just make it another underway stance then it's already going to be the same as dwarfs, greenskins, beastmen, chaos dwarfs and skaven (yay excitement(!)). But if it's only an underway stance then you would be incapable of going back to defend Athel Loren in any sort of time to make a difference.

See my point now?

I still don't for fast travelling in forests could still be range limited like any other mechanic of the kind already in the game, as enemy armies could still have a chance to intercept WE armies using world roots to escape, like it works for beast path and underground travelling.

The only "OP" thing would be to allow WE to come back to athel loren in a snap, though 2 turns of camping in a forest to do it for example, as having only one region for stronghold is crippling enough imo.

For any ai, the goal would obviously be either to attack WE away from any forest or to surround them in a forest landscape thanks to several armies (usual ai tactic) to prevent them from escaping. Which means WE would be in danger in the badlands, in the mountains, in norsca as in southern kingdoms which represents more than a half of the game's map...

Looks like WE would be far from OP but rather the opposite compared to other factions and it's fine cause WE in the 8th edition, as in former ones, has frequently been the army for skilled players. They shouldn't be made easy to play like other factions for they are strong in forests and fragile anywhere else, this is the very reason why they barely leave athel loren in the lore.

Point is I'm against horde as settlement mechanics for WE for players have to feel to be very linked to athel loren to the point it's quite crippling them, compared to any other faction which can just settle anywhere or mere wander as a horde. WE don't actually need athel loren to survive but they are so linked to it (to the point the forest changed them mentally as physically : stag horns and so on) that if they lose it they'd be utterly desesperate, not to mention Orion and Ariel may not survive it (can't remember what happenned to them in the end times) which would be terrible for WE.
    Warhammer :
    Wood Elves kinbands
    Beastmen herds

Rome 2 :
    Gaul tribes
  • Anubis259Anubis259 Senior Member AyrRegistered Users Posts: 399
    Seasons wouldn't work, the game is essentially timeless, human characters like Karl Franz would end up dying of old age which would be counter to what CA and me are wanting from the game.
    MOB: Asus MAXIMUS VII RANGER
    CPU: Intel I5 4690K @ 4.5ghz
    GPU: Asus R9 290 DirectCU II OC
    RAM: Ripjaws X 1600mhz 8gb
    PSU: EVGA Supernova 850W
    OSY: Windows 10 64bit
    Anubis259 said:

Seasons wouldn't work, the game is essentially timeless, human characters like Karl Franz would end up dying of old age which would be counter to what CA and me are wanting from the game.

rofl, time may be twisted by chaos gods, yet morrslieb is changing still... go figure.
    Warhammer :
    Wood Elves kinbands
    Beastmen herds

Rome 2 :
    Gaul tribes
  • Galvanized IronGalvanized Iron Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,058
    Anubis259 said:

There is time. Even made a thread about it:
    https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/182370/this-game-has-a-passing-of-time-each-turn-is-3-69-days#latest
    |Sith|Lord|Galvanized Iron
  • GRAY_HATGRAY_HAT Senior Member UKRegistered Users Posts: 5,394
    Anubis259 said:

you can just use the Beastmen trigger as a random choice of season I.e.

winter -(+money, - growth)
    summer - (+growth, - public order)
    Team Wood Elves

boyfights loves wood elves.

"Heaven forbid that under the Vail of military training we should subject our young men to the lust of our general" - Hanno to the Carthaginian senate on the future of Hannibal.

"Guard mode is back in Warhammer :)" - Darren_CA

"It's amazing how many mistakes your enemy will make in haste after seeing that he's outgunned" -The Organ King
  • DeathofjamsDeathofjams Registered Users Posts: 290
    edited August 2016

You guys are trying to be too fancy. The Beastmen speculation was just like this, random ideas which are totally detached from the core aspects of total war.

I don't want to play Athel Loren: Tower Defence.

I obviously have no proof that any of you are incorrect. But look at what we got with Beastmen.

A horde,
    1 new campaign mechanic,
    Re-used everything else.

Which I'm happy with, I enjoyed the Beastmen campaign much more than the WoC one. But despite all the pre-beastmen speculation they did still play like a TW race. This is a TW game remember, not a lore simulator.

The Dwarfs in the lore cannot ever win. But I've done it 5 times now.

Just keep that in mind. Not trying to damper speculation, I love speculation, but remember it will be within the confines of a TW game and what that represents.

"Total War first."

But Beastmen did have so pretty interesting things that we'd never seen in Total War before, notably a focus on campaign map stealth. And remember, the whole idea of hordes and razing is something we've only had for a single game before WHTW, so what a TW game "is" can change pretty dramatically.

I also think the idea that a defensive faction isn't Total War is a mistake. We've already had primarily defensive factions with non-standard victory conditions - look at the Slavs and the two Roman Empires in Attila. Indeed, the *whole theme* of the Attila campaign was about preparing to resist the dual threat of the Huns and of climate change. Why not make the WE the distillation of these principles? It might not be your idea of an interesting campaign, but different things appeal to different people (and you could always play WE in the mini-campaign, which would probably be more conventional).

I too am sceptical of some of the ideas here - I think things like World Roots and forest-only replenishment would be a bit tricky given the way the game is currently set up, though by no means impossible. I also think the way the OP sets up the Wild Hunt seems a bit convoluted: I'd much prefer it to be a more organic part of the WE campaign by giving them bonuses to certain activities (fighting, sacking, raiding) in summer. But seasonal bonuses? Restriction to Athel Loren? Cultural or mission-based campaign objectives? I think these are all very possible and indeed likely aspects of the WE campaign. We've seen them before in TW and they seem well within the sort of things we could expect given what the Beastmen got.
    Anubis259 said:

The "timelessness" of the game is obviously an abstraction. If it bothers you, time is supposed to run differently in Athel Loren so you can just hand-wave it as being something magical.
  • Galvanized IronGalvanized Iron Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,058
    grayhat said:

Anubis259 said:

I wish I could also choose season at will.
    |Sith|Lord|Galvanized Iron
  • GRAY_HATGRAY_HAT Senior Member UKRegistered Users Posts: 5,394

grayhat said:

Anubis259 said:

I wish I could also choose season at will.
    are you not a level 30 weather god?
    Team Wood Elves

boyfights loves wood elves.

"Heaven forbid that under the Vail of military training we should subject our young men to the lust of our general" - Hanno to the Carthaginian senate on the future of Hannibal.

"Guard mode is back in Warhammer :)" - Darren_CA

"It's amazing how many mistakes your enemy will make in haste after seeing that he's outgunned" -The Organ King
  • KarradeKarrade Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 70
    A defensive faction would be a complete change around for the game. I'd enjoy it personally if one of the released factions heavily favored defense and slow advancement over offense.

They'd be a hard target to crack if you fought them, and an enjoyable change of pace if you played them.
  • MedievilsteveMedievilsteve Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 158
    edited August 2016
    The simplified version of what I've seen seems to be that we have one camp saying they should be a horde and destroy everything returning it to forest, another camp says they must not be a horde and should be conventional armies occupying cities, and a third camp says they should stay in the forest and only go out on wild hunts.

In my opinion all these views are both partly right and partly wrong, so I would like to present a different vision of the wood elves.

The wood elves to my knowledge are not big on building permanent settlements, and indeed like to pack up all their stuff and move to a different area of the forest according to their whim or need, in this respect, they are clearly a horde. They also rigorously and ruthlessly defend Athel Loren from outsiders, in this respect they are clearly an occupying power.

My argument therefore is that they should be both a horde and an occupying power. Yes, I do mean that the armies should be hordes and that they should also occupy territory and have "towns".

There seems to be a widely held view that if they are a horde that would mean they have to go around razing and looting all over the place in order to survive, I see no reason that this need be the case. With the wood elves we should view them as being more along the lines of a nomadic people with portable towns rather than as a bloodthirsty horde in the mold of chaos or beastmen. We should also view the "towns" as the local forest rather than as settlements.

Were I designing the wood elves I would split their building tree in half, all recruitment buildings that produce wood elf units, and elven cultural and leadership buildings would be built as horde buildings within armies. Glades, groves, meadows, ponds, plantations, orchards and other "not-buildings", which produce income and improve public order by appeasing the tree spirits, produce trade goods, spread the forest into adjacent territories and unlock tree spirit units for recruitment would be built in "towns" within territories. Wood elf "towns" should not have fortifications (they are just representing the development of the forest), but should have garrisons of tree spirits, the garrisons (except in the capital) should not be so strong that they can be expected to defeat attacking armies reliably without assistance from an army. Attrition within the forest should be brutal for non wood elf forces and movement should be very slow, with a chance per turn that armies can get lost and have their movement further reduced.

I would balance the economy by reducing (or at least not boosting) income from raiding and sacking, and make it so that the forest was the primary source of income rather than cutting a swathe of destruction across the world.

I would make it so that developing the forest territories that you occupy allows the forest to spread into adjacent territories, and once the level of forestation exceeds 50% (or 75%, or whatever worked best based on testing) then the wood elves could occupy that region, thus the way to expand your realm as wood elves is by protecting and developing your forest rather than by launching wars of conquest.

In this way, the wood elves can be a semi-nomadic horde faction, but one with territorial roots that is very much focused around protecting and growing their forest rather than on slaughtering all before them in a murderous rampage. This would also make the wood elves play very differently to any other faction.
    Post edited by Medievilsteve on
    This is no original since you suggest WE to be a horde with forest corruption, like many other non familiar to warhammer universe people.

I think you totally confuse WE of warhammer with Wanderers of AoS (who lost athel loren) for WE have territories in athel loren, which is divided in 12 high realms, each one belonging to one define kinband ruled by a council of nobles.

WE are not really a faction but a group of tribes tied together in their will to defend their forest home, as to obey their living gods : Orion and Ariel.

Thus WE actually barely leave their kinband thus their territory : they are no wanderers at all, but wardancers for they worshipp Loec and don't give a skaven arse about rules, waywatchers who are hardly lonewolves and eternal guards in bodyguard of nobles mission. The rest try to leave in piece in their very territory until the next invasion is coming or during the wild hunt.
    Warhammer :
    Wood Elves kinbands
    Beastmen herds

Rome 2 :
    Gaul tribes
    Teutates said:

This is no original since you suggest WE to be a horde with forest corruption, like many other non familiar to warhammer universe people.

I think you totally confuse WE of warhammer with Wanderers of AoS (who lost athel loren) for WE have territories in athel loren, which is divided in 12 high realms, each one belonging to one define kinband ruled by a council of nobles.

WE are not really a faction but a group of tribes tied together in their will to defend their forest home, as to obey their living gods : Orion and Ariel.

Thus WE actually barely leave their kinband thus their territory : they are no wanderers at all, but wardancers for they worshipp Loec and don't give a skaven arse about rules, waywatchers who are hardly lonewolves and eternal guards in bodyguard of nobles mission. The rest try to leave in piece in their very territory until the next invasion is coming or during the wild hunt.

I played wood elves in tabletop Warhammer, I know next to nothing about age of sigma, and you have completely misunderstood my post.

I didn't say they should be a wandering horde I said they should use a horde mechanic rather than having permanent settlements in the mold of other races, but I also said that they should have territory and be very much dependent on it. I suggest you read my post again because you really didn't get the point.
  • GreyKnightDanteGreyKnightDante Registered Users Posts: 339
    Karrade said:

A defensive faction would be a complete change around for the game. I'd enjoy it personally if one of the released factions heavily favored defense and slow advancement over offense.

They'd be a hard target to crack if you fought them, and an enjoyable change of pace if you played them.

A defensive WE faction would not work. The reason why it worked for Roman Empire in Atilla is because they already have about half the map. The Wood Elves only have a small patch of settlements and that is not the most engaging defensive experience....
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello I am an admin from the Warhammer Wiki. Please feel free to give any suggestions on how to our improve at this forum thread here! ANY help or suggestions is welcomed!

• Commissar_GCommissar_G Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 14,870

snip

Those are ideas I can get behind.

I also do believe they will re-use the beast paths for wood elves. Calling them forest paths instead.
    MarcusLivius: You are indeed a lord of entitlement.
    edited August 2016

The simplified version of what I've seen seems to be that we have one camp saying they should be a horde and destroy everything returning it to forest, another camp says they must not be a horde and should be conventional armies occupying cities, and a third camp says they should stay in the forest and only go out on wild hunts.

The wood elves to my knowledge are not big on building permanent settlements, and indeed like to pack up all their stuff and move to a different area of the forest according to their whim or need, in this respect, they are clearly a horde.

So they aren't wanderers to you but they keep moving when needed so they definitely are a horde... thus nomadic, that's... pretty clear.

Also WE do have settlements in trees, they aren't nomadic tribes... your description fits awkwardly well with aelves of AoS though :
    "Amid the forests of the Mortal Realms, aelven peoples roam at will. Travelling in nomadic warbands led by mighty
    heroes and mages, these wanderers deal swift death to their enemies wherever they may be found. The aelves of the deep woods are servants of order, with a strange bond to the sylvaneth – yet they are also capricious beings and lethal wayfarers, who are swift to exact a toll in blood from any who would wrong them."

How bizarre, isn't it ?

Maybe you should drop warhammer battle and begin AoS : looks like it suits quite more your WE vision...

In this way, the wood elves can be a nomadic horde faction, but one with territorial roots that is very much focused around protecting and growing their forest rather than on slaughtering all before them in a murderous rampage. This would also make the wood elves play very differently to any other faction.

I think you totally misunderstood the horde concept : it allows faction to reinforce/recruit on the fly for lorewise they got members everywhere (chaos warriors, orks and beastmen) which is absolutely not the case of wood elves who can be found nowhere but in athel loren.

Horde is not the capacity of raiding or plundering a region or a city, which any army can do, no need to be a horde for that.
    Warhammer :
    Wood Elves kinbands
    Beastmen herds

Rome 2 :
    Gaul tribes
  • Thalmus33Thalmus33 Registered Users Posts: 13
    I'm not a fan of the seasons mechanic suggested. In reality- no army marches around in the Winter. They return home or else they find Winter quarters or would exhaust their supplies and starve. Remember there is no tinned food or refrigerators in the Old World.
    The campaign season is generally Spring until Autumn.
    Its best to just leave seasons out of things in my opinion or it just becomes a different game.

As for WE being able to teleport around woodland areas. Maybe just a couple of portals located in settlements where they can do this rather than the underway mechanic would work best. But I think other races should be able to destroy these portals when they destroy those settlements
    Teutates said:

The wood elves to my knowledge are not big on building permanent settlements, and indeed like to pack up all their stuff and move to a different area of the forest according to their whim or need, in this respect, they are clearly a horde.

So they aren't wanderers to you but they keep moving when needed so they definitely are a horde... thus nomadic, that's... pretty clear.

Also WE do have settlements in trees, they aren't nomadic tribes... your description fits awkwardly well with aelves of AoS though :
    "Amid the forests of the Mortal Realms, aelven peoples roam at will. Travelling in nomadic warbands led by mighty
    heroes and mages, these wanderers deal swift death to their enemies wherever they may be found. The aelves of the deep woods are servants of order, with a strange bond to the sylvaneth – yet they are also capricious beings and lethal wayfarers, who are swift to exact a toll in blood from any who would wrong them."

How bizarre, isn't it ?

Maybe you should drop warhammer battle and begin AoS : looks like it suits quite more your WE vision...

In this way, the wood elves can be a nomadic horde faction, but one with territorial roots that is very much focused around protecting and growing their forest rather than on slaughtering all before them in a murderous rampage. This would also make the wood elves play very differently to any other faction.

I think you totally misunderstood the horde concept : it allows faction to reinforce/recruit on the fly for lorewise they got members everywhere (chaos warriors, orks and beastmen) which is absolutely not the case of wood elves who can be found nowhere but in athel loren.

Horde is not the capacity of raiding or plundering a region or a city, which any army can do, no need to be a horde for that.
    Actually I am saying we could expand the horde concept by introducing wood elves as a horde faction that plays very differently to those we have seen so far. I think the wood elves would work very well as a semi-horde faction, taking most of their buildings and recruitment infrastructure with them when they move, but still being tied to their territory for income and recruitment, so for example they could only recruit within the forest, but could recruit anywhere in the forest rather than from specific towns.

I am also aware that wood elves do build settlements in the forest, these though are relatively few in number and are usually easily dismantled and moved to a new location. Though some may remain in one place for years almost none remain in place indefinitely.
  • GreyKnightDanteGreyKnightDante Registered Users Posts: 339

Teutates said:

How bizarre, isn't it ?

Actually I am saying we could expand the horde concept by introducing wood elves as a horde faction that plays very differently to those we have seen so far. I think the wood elves would work very well as a semi-horde faction, taking most of their buildings and recruitment infrastructure with them when they move, but still being tied to their territory for income and recruitment, so for example they could only recruit within the forest, but could recruit anywhere in the forest rather than from specific towns.

I am also aware that wood elves do build settlements in the forest, these though are relatively few in number and are usually easily dismantled and moved to a new location. Though some may remain in one place for years almost none remain in place indefinitely.
    It could work, especially if they renovate the Crusade mechanic to motivate players to actually go out and do something in the world.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello I am an admin from the Warhammer Wiki. Please feel free to give any suggestions on how to our improve at this forum thread here! ANY help or suggestions is welcomed!

• MoritasgusMoritasgus Registered Users Posts: 744
    Ramp up the amount of Beastmen and Greenskin hordes are around and give the WE a malus for not going out and finding them. They could easily get by with just a small amount of territory if the game forces them to always be out hunting Beastmen etc.
    In some of the bigger forests you could also give them 'abandoned' settlements to colonise. It might also be a nice change of pace if then the Beastmen were turned from a true horde to similar to the Savage Orcs in being able to also conquer these forest cities.
    It would be a 3rd type of regional occupation that could also bring forest goblin hordes. Maybe make the cities less about buildings and more of a tactical thing to own, for both fast transport using world root and maybe boosted income etc.
    Both races would get bonuses the more forests they own so it would only need to be a single city rather than a full multi city province like other races.
  • ResourcefulBroccoliResourcefulBroccoli Registered Users Posts: 4
    Long time lurker, first time poster.

As a person very much looking forward to Wood Elves DLC, I like some of the ideas in this thread. An issue has been raised of the smallish area the WE would probably occupy in the current GC map. Would it be possible to just make an additional map for Athel Loren? As in, you click on the forest in GC map and it zooms in and you get a map the size of, say, Norsca, and that would be the only area where WE can settle. Throw in a couple of AI controlled WE factions there and there is your early game goal right there. In addition, you could have one region such as Cythral that can spawn rebel armies of Forrest spirits.

I also like the idea of WE having unlockable outposts in forest areas in other provinces. Perhaps each province would have 2 or 3 possible spots for such an outpost, but the player can only utilize one at a time, and must physically travel to the spot first. The settlement would have a unique chain of cheap, fast to construct buildings, that would offer no economic gains, bur rather enable the player to use world roots, reduce global recruitment time in that province, reduce upkeep of specific types of units or their recruitment cost, maybe a bonus to experience, replenishment etc. I think it would fit the race - Athel Loren would be the seat of power, producing everything the player needs, while the outposts would just make incursions into foreign territory that much easier, while loosing them would be a no big deal.
  • LongshanksLongshanks Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 373
    Im just hoping they are not a horde faction. they do have some type of cities last I checked.
    Get 'em boyz!
    Dakka dakka dakka!
    WAAAGH! THE ORCS!
    WAAAGH!
  • SephirexSephirex Right outside your windowRegistered Users Posts: 1,028
    edited September 2016

Im just hoping they are not a horde faction. they do have some type of cities last I checked.

Yes. I do love this game but, god, no more horde factions.

Teutates said:

How bizarre, isn't it ?

It could work, especially if they renovate the Crusade mechanic to motivate players to actually go out and do something in the world.
    And rename it "Wild hunt".
  • HorseWithNoNameHorseWithNoName Registered Users Posts: 1,001
    I think a kind of elegant way to have the Wood Elves get out and do something is to let them act as a faction that wants to keep a certain balance in the old world between all the factions, along the lines of: "As long as no faction becomes a predominant force in the world, they will have to concern themselves with their direct enemies annd let us alone" (A crazy human leader with too much power could be just as dangerous to Athel Loren as a VC Hegemony).
    So my suggestion would be to implement the wild hunt as a means to weaken Factions that threaten to become too powerful (in the long run even to defend Athel Loren from). For example target armies of that faction, maybe also make scouting an integral part of this.
  • HorseWithNoNameHorseWithNoName Registered Users Posts: 1,001
    This would also play into the neutrality part of their identity.
  • KrunchKrunch Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 5,064
    edited September 2016
    I really like the idea of the WE having a submap ala Empire, been toying with it myself in my head for quite a while. Would be good to have Athel Loren both properly represented aswell as provide the WE with plenty of territory if the do go the route of a convoluted occupation system
  • boyfightsboyfights Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 4,023
    imo, make all of the new factions hordes from here out except tomb kigns because the skeleton kingdom deserves a homeland

sink bretonnia and start them in the middle of the chaos wastes

wood elves start with LL and 3 units of spearmen and begin campaign right beside grimgor and campaign movement is disabled and so is battle movement
    boyfights you are always here to confirmate every spark of originality
    or reason burns or acid bruises anyone,
    stop your gladiator love for agressions.
  • SherShahSuriSherShahSuri Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,109
    This post was amazing.... CA now have a fantastic idea to base the forest elves with, I seriously hope they consider your idea and implement it into their game, it would just be amazing.

The world is currently full of raiding factions that just destroy and burn the world... then you have those blood-sucking freaks corrupting the scraps. I hope the woodelves can enter settlements and rebuild them, infesting the local area with greenery and wildlife... that would be amazing.

Attrition in the forests of the Wood Elf territory would make sense, considering the Wisps and wildlife would attack any intruders.

Though I think a mechanic should be implemented as a counter, that being if Chaos corruption is in contest with the forest corruption, both would take serious attrition damage... after listening to Drycha's lore and how the corruption started driving all the forest creatures mad and killing each other.
  • MoritasgusMoritasgus Registered Users Posts: 744

This post was amazing.... CA now have a fantastic idea to base the forest elves with, I seriously hope they consider your idea and implement it into their game, it would just be amazing.

The world is currently full of raiding factions that just destroy and burn the world... then you have those blood-sucking freaks corrupting the scraps. I hope the woodelves can enter settlements and rebuild them, infesting the local area with greenery and wildlife... that would be amazing.

Attrition in the forests of the Wood Elf territory would make sense, considering the Wisps and wildlife would attack any intruders.

Though I think a mechanic should be implemented as a counter, that being if Chaos corruption is in contest with the forest corruption, both would take serious attrition damage... after listening to Drycha's lore and how the corruption started driving all the forest creatures mad and killing each other.

Probably too late for any of this anyway. If WE are the next DLC they will probably have been designed 6 months ago and at this late stage we will get what we get.