Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Guide : Strategic Locations

IlastsyaIlastsya Junior MemberPosts: 17Registered Users
edited May 2011 in Total War: SHOGUN 2
Hi

I played Shogun 2 for long time and always tried to learn something new or discover new ways for advance
Thanks to CA this game is very well balanced and interesting , When i was playing game today i discovered something that was really important and effective in campaign domination and progress and its some Strategic Locations that can change course of warfare , I know many professional players discovered and used this before i a guide will be useful for others
So i start with Chosokabe Clan but this topic will be updated .

Chosokabe Clan
Speciality : Can build Superior Bow Warriors
There is a province named Echizen in north of map between area influence of Takeda Clan ( East ) and area influence of Hattori and Ashikaga Shogunate ( West )
Echizen is unbelievably important province for Chosokabe domination and it will show its hidden capacity when you are playing on Very Hard - Legendary difficulty
Lets take a closer look :

Echizen - Specialty : Craftwork
Trade importance : Close to sea Warhorses trade location
so you don't need any trade agreement for importing Warhorses and you can't build Heavy Cavalry that are very important in Harder difficulties

Upgrade Castle-Town to Castle level and upgrade Craftwork to Master Bowmaker level
Because you are playing with Chosokabe Clan quickly reach Bow Expertise art then build a Bow Master Dojo
With Bow Master Dojo you can't build Chosokabe Bow Samurai with amazing quality and 1 turn recruit in Echizen
Its time quality wins over quantity

Then you can recruit you machine guns !!!
Details about Chosokabe Bow Samurai recruited with following instructions :

Moral : 13
Melee Attack : 10
Melee Defence : 7
Charge Bonus : 8
Armour : 4
Range : 150
Reload Skill : 63
Accuracy : 98
Ammunition : 38

Upkeep cost : 113 for Chosokabe Clan

I tested Bow Samurais and then posted this guide
In my test i recruited 4 Bow Samurai , As you know archers are weak against cavalry so i chose 5 Katana Cavalry as enemy and started the war
I used Fire Arrows and then i was watching the battle and result :
Katana Cavalry crushed and retreated ( Legendary Difficulty )
I tested with 10 Katana Swordsmen and they defeated too

I must mention Katana Cavalry and Swordsmen was at normal stats in this test and i tested just to make sure this Bow Samurais are good and worth such investment

Now of course some of you thinking about other provinces that have such capacity but why i said Echizen have a strategic benefit and is important ?
As you know Takeda always rule in East and an alliance with Hojo so no one can stand against their might but in West there is completely different story , Many clans fight for survive and many fight for expand their territories
So a strategic location is a province that separate East and West and of course close to Kyoto
In north Echizen have such capacity and in south there is another province that i will add to guide later
With Echizen and Bow samurais that you recruit there you can easily defeat Takeda under any difficulty , Dont push autoresolve ! Go into battlefield and use your troops and i promise you will win
You can put your favorite general in Echizen province for fast level up
In strongest army of AI there are many Katana Swordsmen , If they attack your province put your Machine Guns oh ! sorry Bow samurais near walls and enemy will lost 50 %-70 % of its army till reach your tenshu then kill remaining soldiers with some infantry or for quicker victory use Katana Cavalry

I will add strategic locations for other clans as soon as i reach best results for them
Any suggestions will be appreciated and i am a normal gamer and i have mistakes too i will thankfull if you mention them
Post edited by Ilastsya on

Comments

• VoxxyVoxxy Junior Member Posts: 4Registered Users
    edited May 2011
    Really interesting, great work!
  • YamfunYamfun Member Posts: 87Registered Users
    edited May 2011
    Feels like quite obvious..
  • woonsawoonsa Member Posts: 55Registered Users
    edited May 2011
    I shall learn from this. Thank you.
  • DogSoldieRDogSoldieR Senior Member Posts: 136Registered Users
    edited May 2011
    Why do you wanna go a year's+ (4 seasons or more) worth of travel across the country when there are nearer places with that Craftsman zone specialty?

BUZEN: NW of your zone of Iyo at the chokepoint to the ocean.(at the straits towards trade node of cotton)
    Usually a Shoni or a Ouchi terrority, sometimes Ito or Shimazu might get lucky and dominate the island.

HOKI: NE of the Mori zone at the 'top' part facing the ocean. (just below the trade node of warhorses)
    I believe it is a Amano zone, arch enemy of the Mori (to start with)
    My lord! The Ashigaru cooks report that our Tempura dinner will soon be ready! We need to finish this battle quickly in time for dinner! And warm up the victory sake too
  • SepukiSepuki Senior Member Posts: 252Registered Users
    edited May 2011
    Great effort man keep them coming but I gotta agree with Dogsoldier. Playing as Chosokabe I preffered to train my archers from Buzen.
  • Shadow_WarriorShadow_Warrior Senior Member Posts: 240Registered Users
    edited May 2011
    It is a great province but lately I have been toying with an additional requirement for "cornerstone" strategic locations.

The idea is to have your army in a centrally located province that is able to control its neighbours within a single days march.

In my opinion the "Best" option for Chokosabe is "Mimasaka" from which you can control Hoki, Inaba, Harima and Bizen(Craftworks, Smithing, Naval Tradition, Iron and servicable Docks on both sides of the Island).

Now in order to control these fringe provinces with your army you will need "early warning" via single unit sentries hidden at borders or the use of agents for Spying and Revolts to create buffers to enemy advancement.

A reasonable alternative for Chokosabe is "Tsukushi" which grants control over Buzen, Hizen and Higo(Craftworks, Philosophy, Naval Tradition and Horses). Of course the horses are kind of semi-redundant due to already having Awa.

Obviously the most strategic province of all is Kyoto from which you can control Iga, Settsu, Tamba, Imo, Kawachi and Yamato...

...for a Law Court, Confucian Academy, Smuggling Network with Infamous Mizu Shobai District..In Omi, Ninja Clan Fortress...in Iga, the Hallowed Grounds of Yamato,the Dock in Settsu and "Food Farms" from Tamba and Kawachi to allow the Castles where needed.
    The Art of War is in ensuring the enemy know they have no chance of Victory.
  • CharsiCharsi Member Posts: 67Registered Users
    edited May 2011
    Having a lot of success with Hojo; immediate port, easy access to trading post, lucrative gold mine on your doorstep, blacksmith and fletcher to the north and south east. Of course I haven't gone up in difficulty.
  • IlastsyaIlastsya Junior Member Posts: 17Registered Users
    edited May 2011
    DogSoldieR wrote: »
    Why do you wanna go a year's+ (4 seasons or more) worth of travel across the country when there are nearer places with that Craftsman zone specialty?

BUZEN: NW of your zone of Iyo at the chokepoint to the ocean.(at the straits towards trade node of cotton)
    Usually a Shoni or a Ouchi terrority, sometimes Ito or Shimazu might get lucky and dominate the island.

HOKI: NE of the Mori zone at the 'top' part facing the ocean. (just below the trade node of warhorses)
    I believe it is a Amano zone, arch enemy of the Mori (to start with)
    It is a great province but lately I have been toying with an additional requirement for "cornerstone" strategic locations.

The idea is to have your army in a centrally located province that is able to control its neighbours within a single days march.

In my opinion the "Best" option for Chokosabe is "Mimasaka" from which you can control Hoki, Inaba, Harima and Bizen(Craftworks, Smithing, Naval Tradition, Iron and servicable Docks on both sides of the Island).

Now in order to control these fringe provinces with your army you will need "early warning" via single unit sentries hidden at borders or the use of agents for Spying and Revolts to create buffers to enemy advancement.

A reasonable alternative for Chokosabe is "Tsukushi" which grants control over Buzen, Hizen and Higo(Craftworks, Philosophy, Naval Tradition and Horses). Of course the horses are kind of semi-redundant due to already having Awa.

Obviously the most strategic province of all is Kyoto from which you can control Iga, Settsu, Tamba, Imo, Kawachi and Yamato...

...for a Law Court, Confucian Academy, Smuggling Network with Infamous Mizu Shobai District..In Omi, Ninja Clan Fortress...in Iga, the Hallowed Grounds of Yamato,the Dock in Settsu and "Food Farms" from Tamba and Kawachi to allow the Castles where needed.

I completely agree with both of you
    You mentioned very important locations but i was thinking about something more important
    Look guys :
    Takeda and Hojo will make an mighty alliance that will dominate east lands you can't deny this specially when your playing under Very Hard difficulty Takeda superb cavalry act as deadly as dragon !!
    I don't know why Takeda and Hojo never disturb each other and always stay as strong allies
    By the way after domination on east provinces they will focus on Hattori and Kyoto neighbour provinces that in most cases they win over Hattori , So after their domination over Hattori no one can stop them and under Very Hard difficulty they will declare war against every clan including you so you can't fight back with their massive army from Buzen !
    You need stop them early because you need stop them before their domination over Kyoto neighbour provinces
    I mentioned Echizen because of this strategic benefit that we can stop Takeda early and trade with west , Also we always need reinforcements and our start position is an island so if Takeda-Hojo alliance capture center provinces you can't send your troops as reinforcements because they will be attacked at sea by Hojo massive ships and by Takeda on lands
    Under Legendary difficulty they advance very quickly and any late attempt to stop them is useless
    This is my opinion , If you have better idea share them please
    edited May 2011
    That is a great reason to go "out of your way". It's more a denial of service move while also providing a foothold in that critical zone where east meets the middle.

It provides "access" to potentially hold Kaga and Omi with the single army in Echizen thus granting a wicked province for the Mizu Shobai district and another Smith.

It is still rather treacherous to try and hold, Sun Tzu would class that as "overextending".

Might I suggest combining the two strats thereby making a very early push onto Harima, up into Mimasaka and then back out to Inaba. Thereby holding Docks on both sides of the island to "shorten" the supply lines making the jump from Inaba over to Echizen very feasable.

The plus side is two craftworks early access to Omi from the North and a second Smith very early in the game with little "stretching" of the supply lines.

"think I will try this on my next campaign".
    edited May 2011
    Great Tactic !
  • KessenKessen Senior Member Posts: 382Registered Users
    edited May 2011
    Echizen is too far for Chosokabe. The province belongs to the Ikko Ikki and they're very powerful now. Not only that, you have the very aggressive Hattori and Oda in the same region. You'll need quite a large army to hold the province and that army is basically stuck there. To build a sufficiently large army to counter any of the rampaging Hattori/Oda/Takeda horde would require a huge investment in unit upkeep that continues to suck at your income. Taking Echizen does not offer any direct land-trade benefit since it is not linked to your home island.

At least if you take the craftshop in Kyushu island, you can easily reinforce the army from your home island. And during times of peace, that army can be sent to support some other nearby military advances.
    edited May 2011
    Oda will die in turn 3
    Takeda always declare war against Hattori so you can make an alliance with Hattori and their ally Ashikaga Shogunate
    BTW Hattori always advance toward west not east so always Takeda attack them from east
    Under Very Hard difficulty Takeda become so far powerful
    How you can fight back when Takeda dominate Hattori ?
  • ValleymanValleyman Senior Member Posts: 145Registered Users
    edited May 2011
    Ilastsya wrote: »
    any late attempt to stop them is useless

join them destroy the west keep them on side then when you have enough money in the bank, start with the monks on their inner towns, their army moves inwards I found that if you get citys to rebel between the two you can start a fight between them as they will fight over the rebel provices rather then simply allowing who had it to capture it again.
    Rome, Macedon, Parthia, Sparta, Carthage(Bacid), Epirus, Arverni, Athens, - Legendary (Victory)
    This is Total War achievement, Veni, Vidi, Vici! achievement & Close but No Amphora:D
    edited May 2011
    Hojo Key Provinces:

Suruga and Shimosa are critical provinces for armies as with an army in each of these two provinces you can sufficiently hold....

.....Kazusa, Sagami, Izu, Totomi, Kai, Kozuka, Hitachi and Shimotsuke for a Smith, Fletcher, Hallowed Grounds, Horses and two Philosophical tradition buildings.

It provides a very solid base with low upkeep, 5 provinces per army.