Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Ostrogoth Campaign Tips

ProsperoProspero Registered Users Posts: 18
So I'm in the earlier stages of a Ostrogoth Campaign N/N, and I'm having a bit of trouble. I settled a little after 400 in the Narbonesis province, with my capital at Aquae something-or-other. I currently have 5 cities, and 1 and 2/3 provinces. My full province is the Mendolium one and it had a rebellion a couple turns ago, and public order is at -80, but slooowwwwly going up. However, my other province is very close to rebelling (like the next turn). The Mendolium province is also dealing with a food shortage.

I have 3 armies, and a tiny fleet. I will probably get rid of the fleet as it isn't useful at all at this point and is just taking up money. 2 armies are in the province of Mendolium, about to attack a WRE army who is raiding. Vienna also got sacked by Septimania, and I don't have enough money to repair the buildings. My money is going up, but I'm spending all of it each turn on troops for my army is Aquae whatever to stop a huge WRE army who's coming.

For my diplomatic situation, it isn't terrible. I'm friends with the Alamans(to my north) and I liberated Italia(to my south). I also don't have to worry about the Huns (hopefully) as I made peace with them and I think we have a defensive alliance. Unfortunately I'm at war with the Suebians after I kicked them off of Northern Italy. They sailed a short way from Genua to south of Rome, so they're the WRE's problem for a while. I'm also friendly with the Picts who have taken a lot of Northern Spain, and I'm at war with Gaul who are buffered by the Alamans.

So should I try to stabilize my provinces and create the historically accurate Ostrogothic Kingdom (well as close as I could get it, I didn't want to try Ravenna)? OR should I get up and move somewhere else? Or should I abandon a province and try to stabilize one province with fewer armies? Ideas on where to go with my campaign would be greatly appreciated. :)
Tagged:

Comments

• TheShiroOfDaltonTheShiroOfDalton Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 34,001
    In Vanilla I found the best strategy is to ignore the WRE at first, plunder few ERE cities and then sail over and take the province Africa since the Huns won't bother you there, your neigbours are weak and you can safely build up until you're ready to either take Spain or Italy.
  • ProsperoProspero Registered Users Posts: 18
    Yeah I've heard of that Ostrogoth strat, but I really don't want to abandon this campaign, so what should I do from here?
  • dge1dge1 Moderator Arkansas, USARegistered Users, Moderators, Knights Posts: 23,687
    Bunker up for a few turns and work on stabilizing what you have. Check your religion in the regions. Don't hesitate to change if the bulk of the populace is different from your state. Or, build some base religious structures to speed the conversion. You can change them to something else later.

Patience, patience and patience......
    "The two most common things in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity." - Harlan Ellison
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." - Hubert H. Humphrey
    "Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin/Mark Twain
    “Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.”–George Santayana, The Life of Reason, 1905.

Thanks, I'll probably convert to Latin Christianity. How bad are the rebel armies?
  • dge1dge1 Moderator Arkansas, USARegistered Users, Moderators, Knights Posts: 23,687
    Very useful for building up experience for your own armies......
    "The two most common things in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity." - Harlan Ellison
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." - Hubert H. Humphrey
    "Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin/Mark Twain
    “Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.”–George Santayana, The Life of Reason, 1905.

Oh good. Thanks!
  • JuniusJunius Member Registered Users Posts: 127
    Take the rebel armies down as fast as you can, they get exponentially more powerful turn by turn, with elites and large onagers when they finally move on your cities. You need Pannonia and Venetia for the victory conditions, so since you're in a defensive alliance with the Huns, go ahead and take Italy. Just have fun. My campaign with them was at launch on H so it was a little more troublesome than they are now.
    Completed Campaigns in Attila on H: Ostrogoths, Huns, Burgundians, Saxons, Visigoths, Ebdanians, WRE, Vandals on H and Legendary, Himyar, Anteans TLR: Vandals, Visigoths, Roman Expedition and Kingdom of Rome AoC: All Factions completed

Check out my Attila AAR: Trapstila Vandalarius: The Romano-Gothic Empire on TWC
    Sweet this should be easy. Maybe I'll try ERE next...
  • pinwheelpinwheel Registered Users Posts: 13
    It sounds like you have the advice you need already but just thought I would say that I found Iberia the perfect place to establish my Ostrogoth kingdom. I had to restart a few times to get there with decent sized armies intact but once there, you can take the provinces with little trouble and defend them with relative ease. This biggest advantage is that you can take on the Huns when your ready rather than having them turn up in your territory when your economy is just finding its feet. Also capture the islands in the western med, allowing you a better defence and the ability toto get involved in foreign wars without a scratch on your new precious homeland.
    I have Ajax and may take Caralis at some point. I sent a fleet down to an African city and lost the battle, but I'm going back with a bigger army. I declared war on the Huns just to have someone to fight because I'm not gonna go North anytime soon bc of allies (the alamans, who have a pretty substantial empire) and bc the WRE has already collapsed (their last city is Caralis and is besieged by several East Germanic Separatist forces) so I'm just gonna weather the Storm of Huns. I've heard that once Attila comes of age(it's only 417) the hunnic forces will fight to the death. Is that true?
  • ColeusColeus Senior Member Western Roman EmpireRegistered Users Posts: 666
    Prospero said:

I've heard that once Attila comes of age(it's only 417) the hunnic forces will fight to the death. Is that true?

They will fight anything you put into the field, but rarely attacked well defended settlements. Only move on them if you can reinforce with more stacks after the battle, as they keep spawning until Attila finally dies.

"Dear God, forgive us."

Grizzled TW veteran.
    Uh no, that the Hunnic troops in battle have crazy morale and are really hard to break, regardless of troop quality.
  • G_Masta_PhunkG_Masta_Phunk Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 90
    Hu, I am doing just fine I have Sicily and pretty much all of Italy save the northern top cities. I have a good 4k income 300 food and great public order on VH/VH.. It took converting to Latin Catholicism and making a lot of Nuns or priestess' or whatever the goths get as christian female spiritual leaders.

I went after Italy because 1.) it is easy to defend 2.) it is the center of the map 3.) gives you access to become a navy/trade power 4.) you can raid virtually any enemy trade route because it passes by Italy. and 5.) if not most important.. It is historical.

My capital is not Rome but Ravenna for trade rights. I have made peace with the Huns for now but I am not too worried about them in the long run. All and all I am trying to decide where I should expand.

1. Africa 2. Greece 3. Gaul 4. Spain...

anyways.. My vote goes for keeping in Italy and taking control over it. It is a great feeling once you have it all in your grasp. You are like.. " Ho now.. I am Emperor.. I am Kaizer!)
    “There is something to be learned from a rainstorm. When meeting with a sudden shower, you try not to get wet and run quickly along the road. But doing such things as passing under the eaves of houses, you still get wet. When you are resolved from the beginning, you will not be perplexed, though you will still get the same soaking. This understanding extends to everything.”
    Half of Italy is razed, and the rest isn't going anywhere. I'm expanding into Spain and Africa, while defending my northern borders from the Huns.
    edited September 2016
    And I renamed my capital Roma Nova

EDIT: fixed my capital name
  • HadusHadus Registered Users Posts: 33
    my Ostrogoth campaign wasn't that hard took the closest WRE settlements then converted to the WRE religion and manged to get on friendly terms with them.

After about 4 turns they offered trade and a defensive alliance. So far it was good. The hard part was fixing my PO i dismantled the churches and replaced them with other things. i also have two half full armies in my province

The only problem i am having is that near by Germanic tribes keep attacking me every two 2 turns with 3 full ARMIES. And i am not really sure to combat this..