Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

What makes each faction fun to play?

MerciiMercii Junior MemberRegistered Users Posts: 946
edited August 2016 in General Discussion
Some of the recent forum talk about possible exciting plans for Wood Elves, got me thinking about what makes the different factions fun.

CA have made an effort to give each race a unique flavour and playstyle.

What do you think that flavour is and what gives the faction that flavour - or detracts from it?

I'd be interested to hear what people think about the current and future factions.

I'm NOT looking for detailed analysis of specifics, more justWhat do you think makes this race cool? (or what you think you SHOULD like about it) , to see if opinions differ a lot.

Can just do one faction if you like or a bunch, current OR future.

----

Here are a 3 of mine (bearing in mind, I'm a bit of an RPer, so for me it's all about my imaginary story and headcanon):

+Empire+
Battles: like a real army, combined arms, lots of unit types. Lots of characterful heroes. Guns and cav are fun. You can make any kind of army you want.

Improve: just more, more variety, more character...flagellants, knight orders

Campaign: i like being beset on all sides and having to be a diplomat. I really like having a lot of allies to help and to help you.

Improve: Need diplomatic options with Elector counts so I can RP Empire. Gobbling them up isn't that fun and trying to maintain peace in the Empire is very hard/impossible.

+Vampire Counts+
Battle: Godlike heroes/lords + raise dead mechanic gives them a real feeling of Evil overlords and numberless faceless hordes

Campaign: I feel like they are meant for slow encroaching, engulfing conquest and defensive play rather than blitzkrieg. Using diplomacy to play other factions against each other.

Improve: would like to be able to Enslave/Vassalise more/easier. Vamps need oppressed human/greenskin slaves to feed on.

+Chaos+
Battle: Favourite army looks wise and love hvy inf. Melee lords are very "Metal". Choice of buildings makes each hordes troop types unique.

Improve: Chaos Warriors and Chosen a bit too uniform. Need more different heads and parts, should seem like every warrior is unique.

Campaign: I like how the Lord is the central figure of each horde,I imagine them as a warband drawn together behind a powerful leader.

Improve: No settlements reduces the complexity/fun of the faction, maybe reduce pop requirement for new hordes so you can have more minor hordes?

-----

I'll stop there so post isn't too long but will post some more as I think of them.
MercytheMad on Youtube
Post edited by Mercii on

Comments

• TzarkenTzarken Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 24
    Actually I blitz with vamps. I have Altdorf by turn 20.
  • emptonia22emptonia22 Registered Users Posts: 914
    Well nobodys gunna text wall like that OP, but i would if i had the desire im just on my fone. For an example empire and bretonnia campaigns are cool cuz your a bastion of humanity in a world of monsters and evil. Love using artillery and gunners to pound BM greenskin and chaos monstrosities or using noble knight charges and paladins to butcher beasts and enemies of man. Love the different cav and infantry options espexially with mods to hold back the beasts and ruinous powers while artillery and ranged bangs them from afar.

Well nobodys gunna text wall like that OP, but i would if i had the desire im just on my fone. For an example empire and bretonnia campaigns are cool cuz your a bastion of humanity in a world of monsters and evil. Love using artillery and gunners to pound BM greenskin and chaos monstrosities or using noble knight charges and paladins to butcher beasts and enemies of man. Love the different cav and infantry options espexially with mods to hold back the beasts and ruinous powers while artillery and ranged bangs them from afar.

Youre*
    And the flip BM for example are my fav destruction race. Love crashing into lines of empire and dwarf lines with the true beasts of chaos. The blood flows and drenches the ground in an orgy of slaughter.
  • NayranNayran Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 164
    I play my campaigns by strictly following the Bonus Objectives. What I mean is I don't occupy the 2 settlements of Chapter 1 unless I finish all the bonus objectives below it. It adds like a handicap for your conquest but on the other hand lets you taste the Faction's flavour to the max.

Empire: (played pre-update 2)
    - I liked how they rely on diplomacy.. creating alliances between dwarves-bretonnians-elector counts to fight against chaos is cool.
    - I like there playstyle like CA mentioned I get the normal TW faction feel while I play there campaign. (excluding of course the horrific enemies I face :D)
    - Karl Franz is cool

Vampire Counts: (played pre-update 2)
    - I like how the bonus objectives let me turtle in sylvania till I corrupt nearby provinces.
    - I like the missions that focus on assassination
    - I like the monster vs monster battle... vamps vs chaos battles were always fun to me
    - Mannfred is cooler than Karl Franz

Greenskins: (played pre-update 2)
    - I liked how the bonus objectives made me play very differently than my Vamp campaign. Very aggressive.
    - I like the voice acting
    - Grimgor is badass
    - there army is as fun as Vamps for me (top spot in epicness)

Beastmen:
    - Minotaurs and GoreBulls... minced meat everywhere .. 'nough said.
    - the moon event is cool makes horde easier to work.
    - staying hidden from armies gives you that predator feel.

Warriors of Chaos:
    - Vikings... Chaos vikings!
    - BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULL FOR THE SKULL THRONE
    - not really my favourite campaign but well they are cool :D

Dwarves may be the only army I didn't play throughly to give my feedback.
  • TotalWarChakaxTotalWarChakax Registered Users Posts: 617
    edited August 2016
    nyran91 said:

I play my campaigns by strictly following the Bonus Objectives. What I mean is I don't occupy the 2 settlements of Chapter 1 unless I finish all the bonus objectives below it. It adds like a handicap for your conquest but on the other hand lets you taste the Faction's flavour to the max.

- I liked how they rely on diplomacy.. creating alliances between dwarves-bretonnians-elector counts to fight against chaos is cool.
    - I like there playstyle like CA mentioned I get the normal TW faction feel while I play there campaign. (excluding of course the horrific enemies I face :D)
    - Karl Franz is cool

- I like how the bonus objectives let me turtle in sylvania till I corrupt nearby provinces.
    - I like the monster vs monster battle... vamps vs chaos battles were always fun to me

- I liked how the bonus objectives made me play very differently than my Vamp campaign. Very aggressive.
    - Grimgor is badass

Beastmen:

Warriors of Chaos:

I don't like KF, but he is still WAY cooler than Mannfred. At least in Lore. This is Just my opinion and I respect yours.
    PS: a real badass vampire is vlad von carstein.
    But you are right, Grimgor is badass
  • NayranNayran Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 164

nyran91 said:

- Karl Franz is cool

- Grimgor is badass

Beastmen:

Warriors of Chaos:

I don't like KF, but he is still WAY cooler than Mannfred. At least in Lore. This is Just my opinion and I respect yours.
    PS: a real badass vampire is vlad von carstein.
    But you are right, Grimgor is badass
    My lore knowledge is kinda lacking.. only based on the end times .. the event before Age of Sigmarines :D
    But yeah I read about Vlad, hopefully he'll be the Vamps future FLC lord.

• Combat_WombatCombat_Wombat Registered Users Posts: 4,092
    What makes a faction fun to play?

Its how many humies and stunties you can kill before you win.
  • DwarfMasterRaceDwarfMasterRace Registered Users Posts: 2,374
    Fiapowah of course. So Dwarfs are the best. ;)
    Justice for Kiwi123, neodeinos and FungusHound, the mighty Troll Slayers.
  • ConflictionsConflictions Registered Users Posts: 42
    I know its unpopular but I enjoy dwarves a lot. I purposefully throw my 20 stack into 2 stacks sometimes for the holdouts. Zooming in on my arty ammo landing is kind of a national past time so naturally a cannon or two is a must in my regiment B)
  • MerciiMercii Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 946
    edited August 2016
    +DWARFS+
    Battle: like Conflictions said- Just blowing the absoluate **** outta hordes of Greenskins. Also hard as nails, stacked Dwarf lords that will stand and fight an army(alone if necessary) and win.

Improve: Need more than 2 Lord faces, hurts the immersion a little having so many clone lords and the varied Generals mod is buggy for me.

Campaign: Love all the isolated Dwarven Karaks proudly holding holding out alone against the dark hordes. I don't consolidate (much) send expeditionary forces to rescue distant Karaks if they're in trouble.(one day I will save those Norse Dwarves!)

*Thanks for the great responses guys, exactly what I was looking for, just (relatively) brief, to the point opinions on what's good in each faction.

Really interesting reading your takes on it.

Edit: Sorry, I know I'm the worst textwaller, edited to try to make shorter.
    MercytheMad on Youtube
  • Karak_SpoonKarak_Spoon Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,438
    Dwarfs are a bit underwhelming at the moement, one of the most unique aspects of the Dwarfs on TT is currently lock in the Runesmiths skill tree as passive buffs, the Dwarfs Rune Magic.

The ability to upgrade various units with Runes, making them more powerful and unique.
    I'd agree on the runes thing, that could and probably should be a major part of their theme but the rune banners they have used to represent it are a bit underwhelming so it's not really that noticable.
    MercytheMad on Youtube
  • HogarhhughesHogarhhughes Registered Users Posts: 83
    I enjoy playing the empire for similar reasons I enjoyed previous total war games: Watching artillery smash the enemy ranks, well executed cavalry charges, directing ranged infantry to mow down vulnerable enemies. TW Warhammer adds an interesting dynamic to this with all the various factions to fight.

Of the two factions I have played extensively, this is what I enjoy about each:

Empire - along with aforementioned reasons, they play well on the campaign map with numerous enemies and possible stalwart allies. It is awesome to see spearmen hold the line against a giant just long enough for the crossbowmen behind them to bring it down. To note: Karl Franz is a dork and the empire nobility must be rife with incest as the bearded bald dude (sometimes with a funny hat or helmet) is everywhere.

Chaos - superior infantry was my favorite playstyle in previous total war games so chaos are my favorite faction on the battle map. Their campaign is unfortunately tedious, but they a very cool aesthetic style and are my favorite enemies to fight. When I get a chance (or just pause the battle) I always enjoy watching the inhuman chosen face off against the puny mortals; they are usually winning. Chaos has the best legendary lords with Archaon and Kholek, and an elite army flush with chosen, chaos knights, hellcannons, and some kind of monsters is amazing to play as or to fight. I like that chaos warriors are not merely human soldiers, but through devotion to twisted evil gods have become living weapons of depravity and destruction.

I still have to get around to playing the others, dwarfs lacking calvary is not cool but I'll try them eventually.

Vampire counts are fun but I hate having the worst infantry in the game (at every tier) and they are placed in the middle of the map with no reliable or permanent allies so I much prefer empire.

I am in the middle of a greenskins campaign at the moment, I don't like the lack of diplomacy but their units are fun and I appreciate the quantity over quality (while still having capable elite units) aspect of their gameplay. Grimgor is indeed a badass, plus he calls Karl Franz a loser which is spot on.
  • SteppelordSteppelord Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,315
    The fact that I met a chaos agent called Deathmetal, and I'm a massive metal fan.
  • SteppelordSteppelord Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,315
    "Vampire counts are fun but I hate having the worst infantry in the game (at every tier) and they are placed in the middle of the map with no reliable or permanent allies so I much prefer empire."
    Try cairn wraiths. They're actually some of the strongest infantry as they are both armour piercing and immune to armor piercing, and cause terror. The only reason they don't beat other infantry is due to the low number of soldiers in a unit (half of a unit of greatswords.) But Vampire counts aren't about infantry.
  • Karak_SpoonKarak_Spoon Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,438
    Mercii said:

I'd agree on the runes thing, that could and probably should be a major part of their theme but the rune banners they have used to represent it are a bit underwhelming so it's not really that noticable.

Not to mention one of the possible dlc's is going to make the Dwarfs obsolete in a bad way, the arrival of the Chaos Dwarfs.

A small list of why the Chaos Dwarfs will make the Dwarfs obsolete
    • Equal elite infatry to the Dwarfs
    • Can use magic
    • Have cavalry
    • Has equal or better artillery and ranged units equal to the Dwarfs (Earthshaker Cannon)
    I'm not a TT player so I don't know the true extent of the difference between Chaos Dwarfs and the Dwarfs, but I think the 4 listed differences will matter most in a Total War game.
    edited August 2016
    Dwarfs COULD be outshined by CD on the battle map, but I think thematically they will be very different.

For me Dwarfs are all about Pride and iron determination and quality, every Dwarf is worth 10 grobi scum. For CD I'm Hoping they will play like:

+Chaos Dwarfs+
    Battles: Hopefully a comination of CD Elites and sending hordes of cannon fodder Hobgoblins in to tie up the enemy (and literally friendly firing cannons into melee) because who cares. Have ultra hard melee, but no need to even get their hands dirty until all the greenskins slaves are exhausted.

Campaign: I thinking I'd want to go the enslaving thing again. Just play up the evilness. Lots of subjugated factions and resource outposts feeding materials back to doom forges or whatever. No need to play up the proud independant neighbor Karaks, just enslave or destroy all rivals.
    MercytheMad on Youtube
  • DebaucheeDebauchee Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,418
    edited August 2016
    @Merci Monsters and war machines.
    I figure, that @dodge33cymru gotta love my responce.
    erza321 said:

• Equal elite infatry to the Dwarfs
    • Can use magic
    • Have cavalry
    • Has equal or better artillery and ranged units equal to the Dwarfs (Earthshaker Cannon)
    I'm not a TT player so I don't know the true extent of the difference between Chaos Dwarfs and the Dwarfs, but I think the 4 listed differences will matter most in a Total War game.
    I believe, that this wiki page is more or less adequate source of info about Chaos Dwarves in TT.
    Your list should be expanded:
    • expendable horde units in form of hobgoblins;
    • monstorous infantry and monsters;
    • sorcerors are also engineers;
    Moreover, it's not just , that Chaos Dwarves can use magic. They have their own lore - the lore of Hashut, which described in this wiki page.

edited August 2016
    +Wood Elves+
    Battle: I think I'm going to enjoy having tons of fast archers and just kiting a lot. Maybe some invisible ninja elves. I do love my melee though, I hope they have something, maybe treemen or the Wardancers that can stand up in melee. I hope they dont play like you have an army of slayers.

Campaign: I'm hoping for a really different campaign WE. Some mechanic that really accentuates their isolationist nature. I'd like to just turtle around Athel Loren fighting beastmen and screwing with the Brets whilst ignoring the larger conflict for as long as possible, before eventually getting annoyed with chaos and gathering the warhosts.
    Post edited by Mercii on
    MercytheMad on Youtube
  • DwarfMasterRaceDwarfMasterRace Registered Users Posts: 2,374
    Mercii said:

Dwarfs COULD be outshined by CD on the battle map, but I think thematically they will be very different.

For me Dwarfs are all about Pride and iron determination and quality, every Dwarf is worth 10 grobi scum. For CD I'm Hoping they will play like:

+Chaos Dwarfs+
    Battles: Hopefully a comination of CD Elites and sending hordes of cannon fodder Hobgoblins in to tie up the enemy (and literally friendly firing cannons into melee) because who cares. Have ultra hard melee, but no need to even get their hands dirty until all the greenskins slaves are exhausted.

Campaign: I thinking I'd want to go the enslaving thing again. Just play up the evilness. Lots of subjugated factions and resource outposts feeding materials back to doom forges or whatever. No need to play up the proud independant neighbor Karaks, just enslave or destroy all rivals.

They will find ways to balance them; I mean just look at what they did to the regular Dwarfs in this game. Their artillery in particular is supposed to be much more powerful than it currently is. They will not make CDs insanely better than Dwarfs, they will impose limits on them. But yeah, CDs will probably be more fun to play as. >:)
    Justice for Kiwi123, neodeinos and FungusHound, the mighty Troll Slayers.
  • KarradeKarrade Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 70
    edited August 2016
    This is just pure, what makes the faction fun for me, not balance or anything else.

Empire

Fun: Arty. Watching troops go flying. Different directions to expand in, a bit more variety to their GC playstyles than some other factions.

Not fun: For me they are the faction to beat. The empire, the challenge, the center of the map. So I don't find playing them fun. This is more personal preference than it is a design flaw.

Observations: Obviously they have opponents on many fronts, but being the empire I can accept this as part of the campaign.

Dwarves

Fun: Hard units, armor, tankiness. Grudge mechanics.

Not fun: Very Linear Campaign, zzzzzz. Fighting Orks... Orks... Orks, maybe some chaos at the end.

Observations: They are slow in game but I can accept this as part of their race.

Orks

Fun: Flavor. Feeling like you have to close that distance and be as brutal as possible, both on the map and in the battle. I prefer mods that unlock the ork horde as playable, as I was never much for playing orks building up settlements, just smashing them.

Not fun: Long waiting time for their campaign to get going. Stuck in the south, one start position, limited directions to move. It'll take me all game to get to the empire to fight them.

Observations: They break a lot and do benny hill impressions, but being orks I can accept this.

Vampires:

Fun: Raise Dead. Never. Gets. Old. Hordes of zombies and fodder thrown in before the battle really starts. Feeling like you are commanding a zombie apocalypse.

Not Fun: Somewhat limited in how to play the campaign, no where near as linear as dwarves. I really appreciate the Mousillon Faction Unlocker, to unlock the entire west of the map, but I could say that about several unlockers :grin:
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=743957680

Observations: I enjoy the mix of being a diplomatic bad guy I really do. Rather than just crushing everything and being another horde, they feel unique which is a big plus, especially with their own unique corruption mechanic.

Beastmen!

Fun: FREEDOM, not only two start positions but I can go anywhere, do anything and have fun doing it on my own terms.

Observations/Not Fun: There is little not fun. I guess their higher tier infantry sucks but that's more an observation than a problem, by then i'm using minotaurs so *shrug*. I guess the AI running out to meet me from a long distance away, seeking me down could be odd, depending on distance, but that's again more of an observation of how their game plays.

Chaos

Fun: Playing the bad guys. Dragon Ogres. Having really nasty, heavy and deadly expensive units. Corruption, ruining the world!

Not Fun: Attrition from infighting. It sucks and limits how you can play, but the big bad units almost make up for it. I'd rather there were just competing gods sometimes stepping on my toes.

Observations: Start position is again limited and linear but after you get out of the start you are free to go where you want and do what you want, so its much more acceptable.

Horde Observations

Further I guess as hordes you have no sieges to defend, so you have less of the weakest gameplay elements to deal with - sieges, that and avoiding the linear nature of some campaign start positions. As beastmen you can usually auto resolve really easily on sieges, as chaos with attrition and less stacking you tend to need to fight offensive sieges more often however.
    Post edited by Karrade on
    @Karrade - Good points about the starting positions, hadn't thought to mention that but I agree with every point you made about the starting positions and relative linearness (real word?) of each faction.

Beastmen ARE fun aren't they? Very Predator-like as TotalWarChakax said too. I'll have to give them a proper go sometime.
    MercytheMad on Youtube
  • KarradeKarrade Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 70
    edited August 2016
    Mercii said:

Beastmen ARE fun aren't they? Very Predator-like as TotalWarChakax said too. I'll have to give them a proper go sometime.

They are :), if a little easy, once you get into a razing roll, you can group your armies up and just have fun with little downsides. Then you get brayherds on top of that :grin: meaning you can spread out to speed things up or just beeline for your targets with your massed hordes, as you don't need to kill everyone to win the long campaign targets.

Hopefully wood elves will have some counters in store for player beastmen, and beasts will be required to fight those counters to win their long campaign goals.

• Ymer14Ymer14 Registered Users Posts: 10
    edited August 2016
    Well, for me my favorite is the Vampire Counts. I just love having an army of corpses and their raise dead mechanic makes it extremely easy to bounce back from a devastating defeat. Happened more then once that I got my ass kicked (Mainly against chaos) only to raise a fresh army and use it on the same turn against the now weakened foe, wiping them out.

As for battlefield tactics, what I like about them is the fact that they dont have ranged units. Its all about holding the line with cannon fodder and flanking with specialist units. It also is heck of a lot of fun having Mannfred casting all those spells around. That leadership debuff once made chaos warriors rout against skeleton warriors lol. (Normal difficulty mind you, hate playing against cheating ai)

Cant forget all those flying units too. Vargheist are awesome, always have 200+ kills with at least one of them. (Ultra sized units, racks up quickly)

EDIT: almost forgot that even the basic fellbats and dire wolves seemed very useful even in late game. Artillery always gets taken out quickly when you have a couple of fellbats units, same for pesky ranged units.
  • LaindeshLaindesh Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 4,738
    Mind you its all single player.

Dwarfs:

Positive: Things go BOOM BOOM when they get their artillery, its very fun to make different armies with their end game units (organ guns, flame cannons, irondrakes, gyrocopters etc).
    Underground movement is interesting (although cheaty).
    Interesting and tough starting position, atleast its not in the middle of the map to top it off.
    Easy to understand and decent tech. tree.

Negative: With exeption of ironbreakers, boring melee infantry. Very boring early-late mid game army (melee + quarrelers with 1-2 cannons\throwers >.<) Bit repetive to fight only orcs.
    Not so interesting heroes. (guess i havent learned them yet!)

Empire:

Positive: Great unit variation, lots of different units means different approaches to army composition can be taken.
    Interesting starting position, closer to chaos, NAP's to consider and good territory all around.
    Better starting army than dwarves thanks to greater melee inf. variation and quicker access to other units.
    Love the mage heroes.

Negative: Playing human faction is old. NAP's narrows down desirable targets.
    Easier start than Dwarfs, but harder bit later on.
    Maybe lacks flavorful units, (they do have a few).

Vampire Counts:

Positive: Most interesting army roster. Good heroes. Fun starting position.
    Has the best infantry variation (aka units very different from each other in use) and have nice support\hammer\flanking units. Their army composition can vary greatly and its fun to experiment.

Negative: Boring early mid game consisting of beating the other vampires then turtle until you can spread corruption or expand without repercussions.

Greenskins:

Positive: Rawr me smash type of gameplay. Varied units (love em night goblins) which means varied army composition atleast in "hammer"\flank\ranged units. Has a bit of everything.
    Fun units.

Negative: fightiness\infighting. I loath the micromanagement it requires when you got many armies running around. Maybe bit weak at the start. Takes time to "power up".

WoC:

Positive: uhm.... Strong units?

Negative: I really didnt like anything with these guys

Beastmen:

Positive: did what WoC did wrong, decent unit varity, good campaign mechanics even if its a mix of everything.
    Units can become incredibly powerful with buffs from events, leadership and whatsnot.

Negative: Horde.....still dislike that mechanic. But playing as beastmen is ok despite of it.

• TheShiroOfDaltonTheShiroOfDalton Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 34,001
    Negative: Boring early mid game consisting of beating the other vampires then turtle until you can spread corruption or expand without repercussions.

I had Tempelhof and Schwarzhafen done by turn 5 and immediately set out to take Averland. Then robbed some dwarves, then took Stirland. The only thing stopping my march through the Empire provinces was the Chaos invasion. Rushing is definitely possible for the VC, just make copious use of raiding stance and raising the dead.
    edited August 2016
    Yeah, I saw your post elsewhere about VC rushing. I'm gonna try it next (waiting for patch) as Empire consolidation screws up my Enslave everyone master plan. Gotta wipe out Karl Franz before he gobbles up all my potential slave subjects!

Edit: Don't really think blitzing really characterises VC playstyle as much as say, Greenskins, but part of the fun is creating your own story.
    Post edited by Mercii on
    MercytheMad on Youtube