Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

AoS lore thread

Otters007Otters007 Posts: 551Registered Users
edited December 2016 in General Discussion
Can anyone give me a rundown of what has happened to Mannfred since the start of Age of Sigmar? I hear he returned but it seems a lot trickier to google Age of Sigmar lore then previous warhammer stuff!

Also, I hear Vlad has not returned. Why not? Why would Nagash not resurrect him?
Post edited by Otters007 on

Comments

• shinrosshinros Posts: 1,517Registered Users
    edited August 2016
    Ah this is where I come in. Right in the end times Vlad and Arkhan do agree that out of all the Mortarch's Mannfred is nagash's greatest servant but in their arrogance Nagash and Mannfred don't realize it. The thing is with Vlad he would not listen to ANYONE and he would rather die than serve nagash. (Which he did in the past to free the first vampires)

The thing is he stuck around in end times mainly because he wanted to save isabella his crazy mate that is the only leverage nagash had to get him to serve him. In AOS why he did not bring him back? It's hinted Isabella is alive somewhere. Now in my opinion If he bought vlad back he would just run off to Isabella and Nagash does not like chasing his servants around even if he can dominate high level undead's actions.

Hence why the flesh eater courts the one's that have not bent the knee run to the furthest reaches or other realms to escape him.

Now do remember it's been some time in AOS since the end of the old world. Godhood grants a wider perspective and Nagash's developed into a more chess mastery kind of person like in his old days. Just like how sigmar was a lot more wise than the other incarnates during the end times. The way nagash's, Mannfred and neferata's fluff is written in AOS is that they learned from past mistakes they had like 1000 years to think on stuff.

Oh and nagash still has a grudge against skaven for blowing up his pyramid in end times and wrecking his stuff in AOS.

God hood does that to people.

Right this novel the last realm gate book by C L Werner pretty much gives the load down on what the undead are generally doing in AOS I shall keep the point of the topic and pull events from this book.

http://www.blacklibrary.com/aos/whaos-novs/lord-of-undeath-ebook.html

This is the previous book that shows some of Mannfred's characterization in AOS(This books was first in audio drama form but some people find it too expensive so it's in a book form). It was these two books that actually got me to like stormcast also.

http://www.blacklibrary.com/aos/whaos-novs/mortarch-of-the-night-ebook.html

Now why he bought mannfred back? They have not gone into much detail why vlad is not back honestly he is more kind of a "relic" character. They do explain why nagash like's mannfred hell he views him like a "son" now.

Nagash states in lord of undeath the recent realm gate novel that the reason why he favors Mannfred so much despite the crap he pulls is that he values his twisted mind and he will always have need of it. Out of his Mortarch's he only call's mannfred Princling, Errant Child or Prodigal son if you know the bible story this is quite interesting. I mean did anyone see that Mannfred would end the world as revenge? Heck no.

Neferata sums up mannfred well in pretty much two lines in in the lord of Undeath AOS novel. When she explaining to her thrall vampire what kind of person/vampire mannfred is when they were looking for him since nagash wants his "prodigal son" back to deal with chaos. Her thrall called him weak/coward for recovering in his castle of Nachtsreik after getting bisected in a previous battle in another novel.

Neferata: "You should be careful not to underestimate Mannfred you will rue the day if you cross him. He is the kind of person you do not wish for as an enemy for if you wrong him, he will chase you down until the end of your days to ensure your destruction."

So yeah Mannfred is the new scion of the von carsteins in AOS unless GW feel like blowing the dust off of Vlad.

He never calls Neferata or Arkhan his child through out the novel.

Nagash said his schemes and avarice put's Neferata's ones to shame. He does note that now he does not mind his Mortarch's plotting and out of all his Mortarch's Mannfred resisted chaos the most because of his uncanny planning. He wishes neferata thought more further than her flesh and immediate needs, Nagash actually wants Arkhan to have "some" ambition(Instead of thinking he is a mindless drone) but his problem with Mannfred is that he overestimates himself at the worst of times.

Nagash normally let's mannfred in on some aspects of his plan because he knows he would figure most of it out and has the ability to help him complete it because of his tenacity. Mannfred is also fully aware at times when Nagash is exerting his influence on him to achieve some end compared to neferata.

Now why mannfred still serves nagash? The way he has been written it seems he has learned from past mistakes and act's more in Vlad's manner well he has learned patience. He states in nagash's novel he has fully accepted Nagash is his master unlike neferata and he will be patient for the time for he can escape his servitude. Honestly Mannfred has an argument with Arkhan who is the better servant after he beats him in one other novel. :P

Plus Nagash knows that Mannfred will ALWAYS view sigmar and his warriors as an enemy and that is something he needs out of him as well. While neferata is trying to ally with them to escape nagash (which does not work since he is fully aware of her plans).

Mannfred's past actions in the old world has turned him into a pariah of sorts to the point where even living nagash worshipers know of him and are told never to trust him.

One interesting note that Vlad's ring and Kemmlers cloak of mist and shadows were turned into magical artifacts for all the Death faction. So I don't think they are coming back.

It also helps that mannfred is a part of a new and expensive kit.

TLDR; He values his twisted mind and his backstabbing ways and considers him a "child"/son now but nagash has problems with him overestimating himself. Plus he hates sigmar and his warriors which also helps. I mean hell he out did him in the death chart by ending the world and accidentally giving nagash god hood. The events of WHFB is still canon sometimes they are referenced in the books.

Mannfred is still somewhat of a Pariah due to the point where even human worshipers of nagash tell a lord celestant he is not to be trusted. When Mannfred is acting tour guide to the underworld so they can parley with Nagash.

Why vlad is not back this is merely my opinion. Well Nagash doesn't want to resurrect him since he does not need him and would not serve him if there is any hint that Isabella is alive. Plus he does not have a shiny new model like mannfred. Oh and isabella is hinted to be alive in AOS as well.
    Post edited by shinros on
    Nagash: When Nagash reaches out to crush his enemies, it is with a million hands. When Nagash seeks out his prey, it is with a million eyes.....
  • TotalWarChakaxTotalWarChakax Posts: 601Registered Users
    Shinros said:

Ah this is where I come in. Right in the end times Vlad and Arkhan do agree that out of all the Mortarch's Mannfred is nagash's greatest servant but in their arrogance Nagash and Mannfred don't realize it. The thing is with Vlad he would not listen to ANYONE and he would rather die than serve nagash. (Which he did in the past to free the first vampires)

The thing is he stuck around in end times mainly because he wanted to save isabella his crazy mate that is the only leverage nagash had to get him to serve him. In AOS why he did not bring him back? It's hinted Isabella is alive somewhere. Now in my opinion If he bought vlad back he would just run off to Isabella and Nagash does not like chasing his servants around even if he can dominate high level undead's actions.

Hence why the flesh eater courts the one's that have not bent the knee run to the furthest reaches or other realms to escape him.

Now do remember it's been some time in AOS since the end of the old world. Godhood grants a wider perspective and Nagash's developed into a more chess mastery kind of person like in his old days. Just like how sigmar was a lot more wise than the other incarnates during the end times. The way nagash's, Mannfred and neferata's fluff is written in AOS is that they learned from past mistakes they had like 1000 years to think on stuff.

Oh and nagash still has a grudge against skaven for blowing up his pyramid in end times and wrecking his stuff in AOS.

Right this novel the last realm gate book by C L Werner pretty much gives the load down on what the undead are generally doing in AOS I shall keep the point of the topic and pull events from this book.

This is the previous book that shows some of Mannfred's characterization in AOS(This books was first in audio drama form but some people find it too expensive so it's in a book form). It was these two books that actually got me to like stormcast also.

Now why he bought mannfred back? They have not gone into much detail why vlad is not back honestly he is more kind of a "relic" character. They do explain why nagash like's mannfred hell he views him like a "son" now.

Nagash states in lord of undeath the recent realm gate novel that the reason why he favors Mannfred so much despite the crap he pulls is that he values his twisted mind and he will always have need of it. Out of his Mortarch's he only call's mannfred Princling, Errant Child or Prodigal son if you know the bible story this is quite interesting. I mean did anyone see that Mannfred would end the world as revenge? Heck no.

Neferata sums up mannfred well in pretty much two lines in in the lord of Undeath AOS novel. When she explaining to her thrall vampire what kind of person/vampire mannfred is when they were looking for him since nagash wants his "prodigal son" back to deal with chaos. Her thrall called him weak/coward for recovering in his castle of Nachtsreik after getting bisected in a previous battle in another novel.

Neferata: "You should be careful not to underestimate Mannfred you will rue the day if you cross him. He is the kind of person you do not wish for as an enemy for if you wrong him, he will chase you down until the end of your days to ensure your destruction."

So yeah Mannfred is the new scion of the von carsteins in AOS unless GW feel like blowing the dust off of Vlad.

Nagash said his schemes and avarice put's Neferata's ones to shame. He does note that now he does not mind his Mortarch's plotting and out of all his Mortarch's Mannfred resisted chaos the most because of his uncanny planning. He wishes neferata thought more further than her flesh and immediate needs, Nagash actually wants Arkhan to have "some" ambition(Instead of thinking he is a mindless drone) but his problem with Mannfred is that he overestimates himself at the worst of times.

Nagash normally let's mannfred in on some aspects of his plan because he knows he would figure most of it out and has the ability to help him complete it because of his tenacity. Mannfred is also fully aware at times when Nagash is exerting his influence on him to achieve some end compared to neferata.

Now why mannfred still serves nagash? The way he has been written it seems he has learned from past mistakes and act's more in Vlad's manner well he has learned patience. He states in nagash's novel he has fully accepted Nagash is his master unlike neferata and he will be patient for the time for he can escape his servitude. Honestly Mannfred has an argument with Arkhan who is the better servant after he beats him in one other novel. :P

Plus Nagash knows that Mannfred will ALWAYS view sigmar and his warriors as an enemy and that is something he needs out of him as well. While neferata is trying to ally with them to escape nagash (which does not work since he is fully aware of her plans).

Mannfred's past actions in the old world has turned him into a pariah of sorts to the point where even living nagash worshipers know of him and are told never to trust him.

One interesting note that Vlad's ring and Kemmlers cloak of mist and shadows were turned into magical artifacts for all the Death faction. So I don't think they are coming back.

TLDR; He values his twisted mind and his backstabbing ways and considers him a "child"/son now but nagash has problems with him overestimating himself. Plus he hates sigmar and his warriors which also helps. I mean hell he out did him in the death chart by ending the world and accidentally giving nagash god hood. The events of WHFB is still canon sometimes they are referenced in the books.

Mannfred is still somewhat of a Pariah due to the point where even human worshipers of nagash tell a lord celestant he is not to be trusted. When Mannfred is acting tour guide to the underworld so they can parley with Nagash.

Why vlad is not back this is merely my opinion. Well Nagash doesn't want to resurrect him since he does not need him and would not serve him if there is any hint that Isabella is alive. Plus he does not have a shiny new model like mannfred. Oh and isabella is hinted to be alive in AOS as well.

one question: Did Mannfred want to end the world, i thougth he just overestimated himself, because he was trying to pull the magic to him after killing Gelt. Or did i understand wrong?
    edited August 2016

Shinros said:

one question: Did Mannfred want to end the world, i thougth he just overestimated himself, because he was trying to pull the magic to him after killing Gelt. Or did i understand wrong?
    He knew what the machine was doing but tried to draw some of the magic into him when he killed gelt his body could not handle it(Overestimating himself). Honestly at that point he did not really care they make it clear he also wanted to kill everyone who betrayed him.

He was in the shadows so he full well knew what the Incarnates were dealing with and what they were trying to stop.

The old world died because people underestimated mannfred's malice and thirst for vengeance and Mannfred thought he could at least drain some of the magic(being reckless again). Mannfred has some delusions of achieving godhood. Hell he wanted to take nagash's' power for himself.

No one is supposed to know about the machine those who joined Archaon yet Mannfred knew of the machine. Honestly the end was a bad time for everyone really. Arkhan went out like a boss though.
    Nagash: When Nagash reaches out to crush his enemies, it is with a million hands. When Nagash seeks out his prey, it is with a million eyes.....
    Shinros said:

Shinros said:

He knew what the machine was doing but tried to draw some of the magic into him when he killed gelt his body could not handle it(Overestimating himself). Honestly at that point he did not really care they make it clear he also wanted to kill everyone who betrayed him.

The old world died because people underestimated mannfred's malice and thirst for vengeance and Mannfred thought he could at least drain some of the magic.

No one is supposed to know about the machine those who joined Archaon yet Mannfred knew of the machine.
    thanks for answering, then i still can believe in my english reading skills xD
    edited August 2016

Shinros said:

Shinros said:

The old world died because people underestimated mannfred's malice and thirst for vengeance and Mannfred thought he could at least drain some of the magic.

No one is supposed to know about the machine those who joined Archaon yet Mannfred knew of the machine.
    thanks for answering, then i still can believe in my english reading skills xD
    No problem if people have AOS fluff questions or questions about undead fluff for whfb people should leave it in this topic I shall answer to the best of my ability read all the books so far.
    No problem if people have AOS fluff questions or questions about undead fluff for whfb people should leave it in this topic I shall answer to the best of my ability read all the books so far.
    Actually, I wondered about Tomb Kings, what happened to them?

and if Arkhan the black would be added in TW:W, do you think he would be TK or VC

Actually, I wondered about Tomb Kings, what happened to them?

Nagash killed all of them and their land because he knew they would never let him rule them of course this ritual also accidentally work up the buried tomb kings. Arkhan is going to be a tomb king legendary lord I personally feel he should of been in the VC army book.

Considering his plans and who he works with he should of been in the VC army book. Well anyway can't wait to see him in game. Neferata, Arkhan and Mannfred are my favorite warhammer characters along with nagash.
  • SegersgiaSegersgia Junior Member Posts: 295Registered Users

and if Arkhan the black would be added in TW:W, do you think he would be TK or VC

They kinda got discontinued, though the general's handbook makes them playable with points, as well as Bretonnia. It was a very sad thing. (There are however still small, though very untrustworthy, rumors about Forgeworld remaking both lines on their website).

Lorewise, I do not know. I'm trying to find lore around the internet, but there aren't many dedicated people that want to write down the lore on wikis.
  • krunshkrunsh Senior Member Posts: 3,606Registered Users
    I'd like to know more about pre-end times Neferata, but I'll ask in the other giant lore thread since I'd rather keep that one going. You should totally start answering questions on there though if you haven't!
    i5-3550 CPU @ 3.30GHz
    Geforce gtx 970
    16gb ram

Team Skaven
  • AkatsukiLeader13AkatsukiLeader13 Senior Member Posts: 583Registered Users
    You want to know the real reason Mannfred, Arkhan and Neferata still exist in AoS while both Isabella and Khalida despite being with Neferata at the end of the world, the three of them got new End Times models that GW was not about to discontinue. Hence they got so survive while other Mortarchs and Undead characters are MIA.

Personally I would have loved both Isabella and Khalida to have returned as Mortarchs and added to the landscape of the Realm of Shyish.
    "Courage isn't just a matter of not being frightened, you know. It's being afraid and doing what you have to do anyway."
    -the Third Doctor

"Kings of Ulthuan! You are usurpers and thieves. You owe me a debt. In my name, and in that of my father, I call upon you to repay it now!"
    -Malekith, the Phoenix King

Nagash is All and All are One in Nagash.
    edited August 2016

You want to know the real reason Mannfred, Arkhan and Neferata still exist in AoS while both Isabella and Khalida despite being with Neferata at the end of the world, the three of them got new End Times models that GW was not about to discontinue. Hence they got so survive while other Mortarchs and Undead characters are MIA.

Personally I would have loved both Isabella and Khalida to have returned as Mortarchs and added to the landscape of the Realm of Shyish.

Honestly I hold the opinion that Khalida is going to lead the new tomb kings whenever they pop up again loads of drama can occur. Krell is in AOS since in the grand alliance death book they note a "lord of despair"(Krell was the mortarch of despair) rules a skeleton legion at the helspoint. They also note the land bears rime and it's frozen over.

Soo he is going to get a new model that's going to have a possible frost theme, so he can be a proper lord. The problem with tomb kings is that they pretty much were the lowest(most people played VC) selling fantasy army along with beastmen and they were not IP protectable either. Rumor mongers say the new tomb kings are in the works but we won't see them for a long time.

Isabella is actually hinted to be in AOS the fyreslayers got a job to hunt down a blood sucking monster that looks very similar to her in Ashqy.
    Post edited by shinros on
  • DennorakDennorak Posts: 56Registered Users
    So if this is going to turn into a general AoS lore thread..... What's the status of the Dwarfs in AoS?
    edited August 2016

So if this is going to turn into a general AoS lore thread..... What's the status of the Dwarfs in AoS?

Fyreslayers(Slayer dwarf army) are active searching for pieces of Grimnir(Gotrek) after he shattered fighting a god beast and melded with it. Normal people think Ur-Gold is normal gold and think they are simple merc's but are actually gathering relics of their god the shattered pieces of their god hence why they get rune priests to melt them down into runes and hammer it into their flesh for magical properties.

The other problem is that it causes madness and the rune priest have to deal with that. If they fail a task for Ur-Gold they become a doomseeker to find a Death like slayers of old. The issue is the god beast that he melded with when he shattered was insane hence why Gimnir went to kill it and I think the "gold" madness they suffer from is because of the god beast.

The dwarfs we all know are love are rumored to be coming soon very soon along with new tzeentch stuff

In the last campaign book Right now Sigmar is looking for Grungi because one day he just got up and left considering he makes most of the gear for his armies he is currently looking out for him. Wondering where he is that's a pretty big lore drop that they are coming. According to rumors they are going to have a bit more steampunk in them like the gyro's etc and cogsmiths.

Think of the irondrakes they will look more like that. The other dwarf group dispossessed the old dwarf models are out warring reclaiming lost holds. Honestly I think the new models are just going to get added into the dispossessed faction they are going to get the sylvaneth treatment.

Their fluff is making the point they are rebuilding and reclaiming holds from chaos. They also have a huge grudge against tzeentch since many of them lived within Chamon and tzeentch subjugated the realm.
    edited August 2016
    Shinros said:

Think of the irondrakes they will look more like that. The other dwarf group dispossessed the old dwarf models are out warring reclaiming lost holds. Honestly I think the new models are just going to get added into the dispossessed faction they are going to get the sylvaneth treatment.

I'm confused. How can dwarfs fight over lost holds after the world blew up and a bunch of new magic realms were created. I never get AoS lore no matter how hard I try. I don't even get how all of these characters still exist, I thought they were only still playable for the sake of using your old minis, not for the lore.
    i5-3550 CPU @ 3.30GHz
    Geforce gtx 970
    16gb ram

Team Skaven
    edited August 2016
    krunsh said:

Shinros said:

I'm confused. How can dwarfs fight over lost holds after the world blew up and a bunch of new magic realms were created. I never get AoS lore no matter how hard I try. I don't even get how all of these characters still exist, I thought they were only still playable for the sake of using your old minis, not for the lore.
    Right I shall explain again, when the old world exploded of course people died and some survived on shards of the old world. The explanation per GW and the campaign book is that when sigmar was floating through the void with the core of the old world he met the god beast of the heavens.

He then showed sigmar the 8 mortal realms that were spawned by the unraveling of the winds of magic. (Sigmar never made the realms some people have that misconception) Each realm is effected differently by said wind. Now because the incarnates very souls were tied to the winds of magic they pretty much respawned in the realms most tied to their wind. Teclis says in end times they were pretty much gods at that point.

Oh I shall also make the point it's still the same "Universe" just a different set of planets all the general lore is pretty much the same as before with slight changes here and there. What is interesting is that in the end times it seems Arkhan saw the mortal realms or saw nagash turning into a god or maybe both? Hence why he wasn't worried about his death at all he found the new prospect interesting.

Now how the humans and other races got started again? Well GW said that there were many "souls" floating in the void due to the destruction of the world sigmar and their respective gods gathered up these lost souls and had them reincarnated hence I assume the different names for dwarfs and elves and also IP protection :P. To populate the realms. Some survivors were found on shards of the old world protected by magic. I assume neferata falls under this.

Right sigmar then united the incarnates into a pantheon people rebuilt new homes(Duardin aka dwarfs set up shop mainly in the realm of metal for obvious reasons) etc in each realm and lamented lost heroes. They rebuilt civilization. Used realm gates for trade between the races and the all-points was the major trade district since it connects to all the realms. (Right now it's controlled by Archaon which is pretty bad sigmar and the everqueen managed to shut down two All point gates so far.)

It's also explained by GW why the devoted of sigmar and free guild (empire models) still have karl franz etc on their armor and stuff is because sigmar wanted the heroes of the empire to be immortalized so to speak to remember their sacrifices. Plus it leaves things open for people.

Plus he has a library on the events of the old world it's now like myth, legend and history. Think horus heresy.

The reason why Death and Chaos have the returning characters is plainly obvious but I shall explain it chaos gods wanted their awesome champions to wreck stuff again. They note their memories are rather fuzzy on the end of the world. Death? Nagash? Do I need to explain?

As I was saying there was peace for a time until the chaos gods found Archaon floating in the void battered from his battle with sigmar on the old world. The chaos gods reforged his third eye fixed his armor into a new form and showed him 8 worlds he missed. So he traveled there on his daemon horse while it gorged on souls growing into it's new form.

Now of course none of the pantheon was expecting a chaos invasion but Archaon came in full force and battered everyone again. None of them were really prepared for war save Sigmar and Nagash but even then most of sigmar's forces got hammered and nagash was pretty much abandoned which bought up old rivalries again. So the age of myth turned to the age of chaos. Still they were fighting back but then many Aelf souls were devoured by slaanesh tzeentch then leaked the location of where slaanesh was digesting his food and got godnapped by Malerion(Malekith), Tyrion and Teclis.

Unrelenting war super daemon warriors bla bla bla. These event's broke the pantheon and made them easy pickings the everqueen went into hiding. The other elven gods just worried about slaanesh, nagash was defeated by Archaon after being abandoned. Oh and gork and mork Gorkamorka just went off to fight. Refugess began flooding in droves into Ayzr which finally made sigmar say "enough is enough".

Plus tzeentch hammered the realm of metal hard driving out most of the dwarfs aka Duradin from their holds.

All these events made sigmar pretty mad because he does not want a repeat of the old world. So he rescue's grungi and Grimnir from chaos. Of course Grimnir wanted to repay his debt right away by slaying a insane godbeast and we all know how that turned out. Grungi agreed to help.

Sigmar found tyrion, teclis and Malerion and had them gather in sigmaron. In his throne room he decided it was time to stop being a diplomat and peaceful god and take the mantle of god king again become sigmar the barbarian and the divine. He told all of them anyone who won't help in this project will be deemed his enemy.

So of course all of them pooled their resources. Sigmar made the point that the one advantage chaos has over humans is the daemonically empowered magical warriors. Plus proper magic gear. So he starts working on stormcast. He has Malerion cover Ayzr with shadows so tzeentch could not see what he was doing. Of course after that the elven gods left to their own devices in their own realms.

He then had the core of the old world which was suspended above his castle and had it mined for materials. He named it sigmarite and had grungi forge weapons and armor out of the material. Of course Grungi also made him the lighting which he uses to teleport the stormcast around.

Sigmar then closed the gates to ayzr to prepare fully. He picked out men AND women from all across the realms to be a new fighting force people that can stand toe toe with chaos warriors and chosen. He then reforged them on an anvil made by grungi infusing them with his very essence making these men and women into stormcast eternals.

He also armed warrior priests and free guild generals with sigmarite weapons also. So of course he prepared and then he threw open his gates starting the "age of sigmar". Sigmar will take back the realms and unite the pantheon under "His" banner. His strategy now is to have stormcast hammer the realm gates and then the devoted of sigmar( warrior priests, flagellants, witch hunter etc) come in to cleanse the general land of chaos. They then have free guild and ironweld bringing order to the general area to set up new cities and forts.

That's the general start. I hope I was clear enough. Oh and one other note the realms are the new "normal" reality they are pretty much like 8 old worlds. With a slight tinge of a certain magic all the realms have normal places to live it's just the uber magical places armies fight over.

We also have a map of the realm of ghyran. It's the first map of a realm so each realm is about this size this way GW can't get in the situation they had with whfb with armies not being able to do anything without upsetting the balance of the lore.

• CanuoveaCanuovea Posts: 12,436Registered Users, Moderators
    Nice lore drop. I admit to being curious about the specifics of what was going on.
    -Forum Terms and Conditions: https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest
    -Using all caps is the equivalent of shouting. Please don't.
    -The "Spam" flag is not a "disagree" flag. Have a care.
    -...No, no the "Abuse" flag isn't a "disagree" flag either!
    -5.7 Summon a moderator if someone seems to be out of line, or use the report button. Do NOT become another party to misbehaviour
    edited August 2016
    Canuovea said:

Nice lore drop. I admit to being curious about the specifics of what was going on.

There is a lot more than that trust me I tried to keep it basic and even then it shocks me how long the whole thing is. XD The thing is it's revealed why sigmar made that library is for his soldiers to learn from his past mistakes. All the battles that occurred on the old world between the empire and chaos and other factions.

He does not want another "end times". XD
    edited August 2016
    Shinros said:

*Lots of text*

Interesting. I guess it's not that bad if seen as the mythology behind a world, I'm just sad that the story is focusing so much on the gods and so little on the people living in these worlds now.

I appreciate your time, and as a Skaven player, I would love to read a recap of END TIMES into AOS up to "Now" from the rat's point of view. All I know is that The horned rat stole Slaneesh' place in the patheon after they were betrayed.
    i5-3550 CPU @ 3.30GHz
    Geforce gtx 970
    16gb ram

Team Skaven
    edited August 2016
    krunsh said:

Shinros said:

*Lots of text*

Interesting. I guess it's not that bad if seen as the mythology behind a world, I'm just sad that the story is focusing so much on the gods and so little on the people living in these worlds now.

I appreciate your time, and as a Skaven player, I would love to read a recap of END TIMES into AOS up to "Now" from the rat's point of view. All I know is that The horned rat stole Slaneesh' place in the patheon after they were betrayed.
    The little people are talked more about in the black library novels. Hell there is one sigmarite priestess who is awesome as hell and puts a stormcast divine magic to shame. Right now It seems like they are setting up the devoted of sigmar(human sigmarites) for something.

All the information I posted is from the campaign books and GW's own words. The campaign books are more seeing what's going on in the grand scheme of things and what the armies are doing.

The black library books go into more details on how people survived the age of chaos out side of sigmar's realm and how the army fights and their motivations.

Honestly the gods take a back seat in the black library books and even then Nagash is rather prominant and even then he acts more chess mastery. What's interesting though is that nagash has a bone to pick with sigmar since he finds out that sigmar has been stealing souls from him while he battled and his realm bled against Archaon.

They are musing around that the reforging process brainwashes someone to be loyal to sigmar. Mannfred figures this out and tells nagash after he tried to trap a stormcast soul per nagash's instruction with a piece from the black pyramid.
    edited August 2016
    krunsh said:

Shinros said:

*Lots of text*

I am heading to my GW store on sunday I will pick up the Skaven clan pestelins battletome I will give it a read and get back to you. Since I have been told the horned rat is planning something big since becoming a full chaos god.

Well the horned rat did not steal his place it's more of he is a full god now and slaanesh is missing. So there are 5 chaos gods. They honestly view the horned rat as a upstart.

Chaos followers still consider slaanesh to be a part of the pantheon even Archaon.

Slaanesh is going to be a HUGE plot point and slaanesh short stories are pretty awesome how the followers are going about looking for slaanesh.

One interesting note that skaven do also have a record of their alliance with chaos and the old world and they don't use realm gates they actually have made tunnels between realms like well... rats!.
    Shinros said:

krunsh said:

Shinros said:

*Lots of text*

I am heading to my GW store on sunday I will pick up the Skaven clan pestelins battletome I will give it a read and get back to you. Since I have been told the horned rat is planning something big since becoming a full chaos god.

Well the horned rat did not steal his place it's more of he is a full god now and slaanesh is missing. So there are 5 chaos gods. They honestly view the horned rat as a upstart.

Chaos followers still consider slaanesh to be a part of the pantheon even Archaon.

Slaanesh is going to be a HUGE plot point and slaanesh short stories are pretty awesome how the followers are going about looking for slaanesh.

One interesting note that skaven do also have a record of their alliance with chaos and the old world and they don't use realm gates they actually have made tunnels between realms like well... rats!.
    Oh, I was bummed out about Slaneesh being dead, since they are the one I am most curious about. It's good to hear they might be brought back more interesting. So the skavens officially allied with Chaos in the End Times?
    i5-3550 CPU @ 3.30GHz
    Geforce gtx 970
    16gb ram

Team Skaven
  • DennorakDennorak Posts: 56Registered Users
    So did any like big Dwarf lore characters survive and have a role in AoS? Whats Grugni up to as well?
  • ladymissfitladymissfit Senior Member Posts: 1,711Registered Users
    Seraphon. Heard they're actually doing stuff now? From what I can gather they sorta hang out between the worlds and kinda intervene in the occasional battle to stop Chaos, right?

What's their general story?
    Chaos lords should be women

Why is no one talking about mouth feel!?
  • lightgeminilightgemini Posts: 37Registered Users
    So are this 8 worlds actual planets or if you get to the edge of the world you will find a giant cliff into the void, like medieval times depiction of the world?

This AOS worlds with gates idea seems similar to the novels "Death gate cycle", maybe GW got the idea from there. The worlds on those novels were awesome, they would do good to be imaginative with AOS worlds like it was on those books.
  • Zatrakus95Zatrakus95 Posts: 708Registered Users
    Ok, my question is a little odd and probably there is no anwser to it but I still have to ask it. How is time measured? Is it like Azyr time or maybe it's local time?
    What do beastmen do know? what happens with them in AoS
    edited August 2016

So did any like big Dwarf lore characters survive and have a role in AoS? Whats Grugni up to as well?

No only their gods the thing is new characters are being made for the order faction and Destruction, While more returning characters appear in Death and Chaos because they are known for directly bringing back people they want.

For example in the third campaign book Valkia the bloody is back. Glottkin have been appearing a lot also.

Seraphon. Heard they're actually doing stuff now? From what I can gather they sorta hang out between the worlds and kinda intervene in the occasional battle to stop Chaos, right?

I will give something brief since I only have the black library book and general info there story starts off right after they escaped the old world they have been attacked and hammered by chaos as they were travelling through the void. The godbeast of heavens felt the Slaan's anger and loss that many of the lizardmen died during this trip and the death of the old world.

The godbeast pretty much invited them into his kingdom within the stars of ayzr so the Slaan could harness the purist power of Ayzr.

Now here is another part they say that seraphon are just made up of energy and they are not actual lizard people anymore. Yet the black library book goes into detail that they remember their deaths, their battles with the slaan etc. They even call stormcasts dreams of sigmar just like they consider themselves dreams of slaan. Are they still living? Or made up of energy and conjured by the slaan or both in a sense? Or are they just beaming down from their space ships via magical energy?

The thing is some constellations are lead by Old blood's instead of slaan so it's very vague I think they did that for the sake of the player. I only have the black library book and general information to go on but I will go over the seraphon battle tome for detailed information.

So are this 8 worlds actual planets or if you get to the edge of the world you will find a giant cliff into the void, like medieval times depiction of the world?

This AOS worlds with gates idea seems similar to the novels "Death gate cycle", maybe GW got the idea from there. The worlds on those novels were awesome, they would do good to be imaginative with AOS worlds like it was on those books.

The worlds are actually described as "near infinite" that they have an end but no one's charted it yet most likely the map of ghyran are the only area's they charted and mapped out so far. GW did this so they can easily add on locations.

Ok, my question is a little odd and probably there is no anwser to it but I still have to ask it. How is time measured? Is it like Azyr time or maybe it's local time?

Hmm, well they don't measure time but in campaign books they make a timeline of events so to speak. It's been about 1000 years since the old world that's what I know for sure. The battle's and events in the campaign books are said to be within decades of each other.
  • ladymissfitladymissfit Senior Member Posts: 1,711Registered Users
    Shinros said:

I will give something brief since I only have the black library book and general info there story starts off right after they escaped the old world they have been attacked and hammered by chaos as they were travelling through the void. The godbeast of heavens felt the Slaan's anger and loss that many of the lizardmen died during this trip and the death of the old world.

The godbeast pretty much invited them into his kingdom within the stars of ayzr so the Slaan could harness the purist power of Ayzr.

Now here is another part they say that seraphon are just made up of energy and they are not actual lizard people anymore. Yet the black library book goes into detail that they remember their deaths, their battles with the slaan etc. They even call stormcasts dreams of sigmar just like they consider themselves dreams of slaan. Are they still living? Or made up of energy and conjured by the slaan or both in a sense? Or are they just beaming down from their space ships via magical energy?

The thing is some constellations are lead by Old blood's instead of slaan so it's very vague I think they did that for the sake of the player. I only have the black library book and general information to go on but I will go over the seraphon battle tome for detailed information.

welp, that left me more confused than anything. kinda got the impression previously that all Slaan was kinda at the level of Sigmar (or even above) or sorta disconnected from the rest of the world, not really a part of it but still opposing chaos wherever possible or even just the natural force crashing against chaos wherever applicable but not being part of the other forces.

i dunno, getting a bit interested in the setting though, but share Krunsh's feelings of it focusing too much on the "god" characters or just find them to be too powerful to make an interesting setting.
    Chaos lords should be women

Why is no one talking about mouth feel!?

Shinros said:

welp, that left me more confused than anything. kinda got the impression previously that all Slaan was kinda at the level of Sigmar (or even above) or sorta disconnected from the rest of the world, not really a part of it but still opposing chaos wherever possible or even just the natural force crashing against chaos wherever applicable but not being part of the other forces.

i dunno, getting a bit interested in the setting though, but share Krunsh's feelings of it focusing too much on the "god" characters or just find them to be too powerful to make an interesting setting.
    As I said before normal people are in the black library novels. The gods take a backseat there. Honestly sigmar is pretty hands off with his armies he just sends them to places where they need to go and the story focuses on them. Do also remember the setting is more norse like hence why the gods can do such things. The new setting actually allows sigmar to be the God of all humans hence why there is multi ethnicity in his armies the new warrior priest is black. Plus stormcast are male and female.