Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

CA can you PLEASE fix Vlad's Sword?

SteelFaithSteelFaith Senior MemberPosts: 1,000Registered Users
I'm not one of those people and comes on this forum to complain, or voice my opinion that often, so bear with me. The look and feel of the Legendary weapons, have just as big of a role in the portrayal of these Legendary Lords, as their models and voice-acting.

This is a great example that the "little" details make a BIG difference. Instead of a Zweihander sized sword, which he wields with one hand (because he's so powerful), he has this slender short-sword. Considering he's supposed to be this imposing and powerful Vampire Lord in melee combat, why portray him this way?

I hope in a hot-fix, or even next content patch, they can make his weapon the proper size.

Comments

• sigrsigr Senior Member Posts: 714Registered Users
    I assume it's because with the tt model's sword he would require custom animations.
    <insert witty signature>
    Team Parthia
    Team England
    Team Maratha Confederacy
    Team Ikko-Ikki
    Team Something-Something-Germanic
    Team Tomb King, but until then Greenskin

Please return the Parthian avatar to the profile picture choices.
  • Commissar_GCommissar_G Senior Member Posts: 10,134Registered Users
    edited August 2016
    So I googled vlad to see if an older/alternate model had that sword and... I could be wrong... but the model they've gone with looks like he's got Konrads sword.

Which is...odd.
    "As a sandbox game everyone, without exception, should be able to play the game exactly as they see fit and that means providing the maximum scope possible." - ~UNiOnJaCk~
  • fodzillafodzilla Posts: 62Registered Users
    His head and hands should also be far too big for his body. I demand satisfaction!
  • seienchinseienchin Senior Member Posts: 4,571Registered Users
    Well despite me nitpicking quite often I fear, I am actually alright with the sword.
    I mind the strange face much more but I get that the bigger sword would actually make him look really intimidating and cool. Like Grimgorks giant Axe does...
  • FaelixTWFaelixTW Junior Member Posts: 129Registered Users
    fodzilla said:

His head and hands should also be far too big for his body. I demand satisfaction!

Maybe we are looking at a bad photoshop. Can we get some actual pictures from CA, so we can see some evidence.
  • Commissar_GCommissar_G Senior Member Posts: 10,134Registered Users
    sigr said:

I assume it's because with the tt model's sword he would require custom animations.

I'm not overly invested into the discussion so I'm not overly bothered either way but couldn't they just use the same animations Karl Franz uses for Ghal Maraz? 2h weapon that swings at stuff?
    "As a sandbox game everyone, without exception, should be able to play the game exactly as they see fit and that means providing the maximum scope possible." - ~UNiOnJaCk~
  • DebaucheeDebauchee Junior Member Posts: 1,401Registered Users
    edited August 2016
    @Comissar_G
    Conrad miniature has two swords. One has sword guard and a hilt on the opposite side. The other one is pretty much like Vlad's sword, but shorter.
    Both Vlad's miniature and model have two sword guards and a hilt. His sword should, probably, be bigger though.
  • sigrsigr Senior Member Posts: 714Registered Users

sigr said:

I'm not overly invested into the discussion so I'm not overly bothered either way but couldn't they just use the same animations Karl Franz uses for Ghal Maraz? 2h weapon that swings at stuff?
    I meant if they intended him to wield it one handed, as seen in the tt model. I personally am not too fussed either way.
    <insert witty signature>
    Team Parthia
    Team England
    Team Maratha Confederacy
    Team Ikko-Ikki
    Team Something-Something-Germanic
    Team Tomb King, but until then Greenskin

Please return the Parthian avatar to the profile picture choices.
  • SteelFaithSteelFaith Senior Member Posts: 1,000Registered Users
    @Commissar_G Yea, but even Konrad's TT model has larger Swords than in-game Vlad.
    Faelix said:

fodzilla said:

Maybe we are looking at a bad photoshop. Can we get some actual pictures from CA, so we can see some evidence.
    Dude, I literally took a screenshot from the video they posted, and uploaded it here. Look at 2.37

• GaussiaGaussia Junior Member Posts: 1,260Registered Users
    I was going to say I didn't care. But then I saw the sword and have to say it's a bit on the small side. If it's not to hard they probably got size it up 25%, even if they don't make it a true Zweihander?
    edited August 2016

sigr said:

I don't think that's even necessary though, just make the blade longer and thicker, so it looks closer to the size of a Greatswords Zweihander. Secondly he needs his free hand to cast spells (spell charging animations), and doesn't need to wield his sword with two hands anyhow, he's incredibly strong.
    Gaussia said:

I was going to say I didn't care. But then I saw the sword and have to say it's a bit on the small side. If it's not to hard they probably got size it up 25%, even if they don't make it a true Zweihander?

Yea, that's all I'm asking for.
  • Ephraim_DaltonEphraim_Dalton Senior Member Posts: 21,227Registered Users
    Would you also like them to give him a tiny baby torso and hands bigger than his head? Because that'd by TT-model compliant.
    edited August 2016

Would you also like them to give him a tiny baby torso and hands bigger than his head? Because that'd by TT-model compliant.

All weapons in the TT are oversized so people can see the details on it, just like all the rest of the proportions are out of whack.

Or do you really think that all the inhabitants of the WH world have bulbous waterheads and tiny torsos?

The very argument you're trying to use against me, actually supports this issue. It's even harder to see the size and scale of the units and weapons in this game, which is why they made some of the Lords larger than normal.

Yea, his hands are larger and claw like because he's a bestial Vampire - you can't even notice a "tiny" torso, so no idea what you're going on about. Every other Legendary Lord in this game looks very close to their TT counterpart.

Regardless of TT minis, He has a larger Greatsword/Zweihander sized sword in the Lore, but the current sword he has in-game is so tiny in comparison, and it honestly looks bad.
  • SetrusSetrus Senior Member SwedenPosts: 18,448Registered Users
    Can't say I'm overly bothered. Seems it was resized, likely with some reason that makes perfect sence to the programing sawy..

However, if someone would want to try and mod it maybe greatsword animations would work with it? :)
    Gaussia said:

...*giggles* Man, I'm ashamed that this cracked me up. :lol::blush:
    Don't worry.
  • herjan1987herjan1987 Posts: 644Registered Users
    Vlads blade could still be a one and half or bastard sword. Size increase is needed though.
    Team Dwarfes
    Team Brettonnia
    Team Tomb Kings
    Team High Elf
    Team Averland

Leitdorf for Emperor!

Original Regiments of Renown and Dogs of War
    Make Marious Leitdorf a playable Legendary Lord
    Warhammer Fantasy Novels in Black Library
  • boyfightsboyfights Junior Member Posts: 4,023Registered Users
    CA change vlad nose into current sword plz, easy fix while you're at it
    boyfights you are always here to confirmate every spark of originality
    or reason burns or acid bruises anyone,
    stop your gladiator love for agressions.
  • SephirexSephirex Right outside your windowPosts: 1,028Registered Users
    Can we give him a flail too?
  • boyfightsboyfights Junior Member Posts: 4,023Registered Users
    I changed my mind, make the nose a flail instead
    boyfights you are always here to confirmate every spark of originality
    or reason burns or acid bruises anyone,
    stop your gladiator love for agressions.
    edited August 2016
    Hey guys, if you can't actually discuss and contribute to the topic, then **** off.

Vlads blade could still be a one and half or bastard sword. Size increase is needed though.

At this point, we'll most likely need a mod to fix the game once again, but what else is new.

Setrus said:

Can't say I'm overly bothered.

The most infamous, powerful Warhammer Vampire having a shortsword to rival Bilbo Baggins doesn't bother you? Ok.
    edited August 2016
    Main problem I see is that CA already differs their Legendary Lords by oversizing them. I couldn't see too much of Vlad compared to his troops, but if he's like the rest of the Lords, he's going to be towering over them. If they increase his sword size too, it's going to have ridiculous reach and look like something from Final Fantasy in the middle of a regular unit melee.

Setrus said:

Can't say I'm overly bothered.

The most infamous, powerful Warhammer Vampire having a shortsword to rival Bilbo Baggins doesn't bother you? Ok.
    No need to exaggerate. :)
    It's a one-handed sword, an arming sword (well, kind of rapierish) not a gladius. I agree that it's shorter than the model's, but as I said, I'm not overly bothered by it. Why? because he's using it one-handed. While I'm sure CA did it for some technical reason, I also find anyone using a two-handed weapon, even if they're supposed to be able to, looks off, something you'd see in an anime or an asian RPG. :)
    Don't worry.
  • TayvarTayvar Posts: 10,591Registered Users
    edited September 2016
    I was too busy looking at how awful Vlad's face looks in Total War, with no bat-like nose, no visible and good looking fangs and with silly wounds despite the fact that he have many regenerative abilities, but you right, the conversion of Vlad's sword from the tabletop is not good as well, Vlad is clearly have a Greatsword, in the Original, and it's make sense as he didn't have a Shield and he is not Dual Wielding, which is smart of him, because Dual Wielding was not very popular and effective in real life. A Vampire with Two Handed Sword should be a beast in melee fight.

Video link off topic - removed.
    Post edited by dge1 on
    edited August 2016
    So according to you guys, High King Thorgrim's massive axe he uses one handed is like a Japanese RPG, and not Warhammer then? You guys are really trying to turn this into an extreme, ridiculous request, and it's not.

I'm asking for this:

But you guys are acting like I'm requesting this:

I mean come on...

CA has stuck closely to the look and feel of the characters from the lore thus far, so why deviate now and make Vlad look comical with this tiny sword? I mean, I'm not exaggerating here, it really does not look right.

edited August 2016
    No, I'm saying the weapon reach is going to be out of balance with the rest of the game. If you look at all the hero units, they try and keep the weapon reach within the same range (with the exception of Sun Eater who's monstrous)

Thogrim's axe while big compared to him still has about the same reach from his model with him leaning forward. Grimgor has a two handed axe, but they keep his grip halfway up the axe. If you give Vlad an enormous sword, his reach his going to be off for the animation system, and if he's fighting a non-hero unit its going look especially oversized.

So according to you guys, High King Thorgrim's massive axe he uses one handed is like a Japanese RPG, and not Warhammer then? You guys are really trying to turn this into an extreme, ridiculous request, and it's not.

Well yes, I kind of think both Thorgrim and Ungrim's axes are a fair bit over the top, one of the reasons I prefer the regular Dwarf lords. :)

Also, for reference, a better Vlad picture from TW. :)

Don't worry.
  • HoneyBunHoneyBun Senior Member Posts: 4,503Registered Users
    Yes ... but what about his sandals?

They are making an FPS. Who knew a company could have a mid-life crisis ...

• krunshkrunsh Senior Member Posts: 3,662Registered Users
    I wouldn't mind it being longer, but certainly don't want it to be otherwise bigger. I hate how fantasy settings always exaggerate the size of weapons.
    i5-3550 CPU @ 3.30GHz
    Geforce gtx 970
    16gb ram

Team Skaven
  • ladymissfitladymissfit Senior Member Posts: 1,724Registered Users
    I'm not gonna say I'm surprised about you guys arguing about the length and girth of a sword.

hehe...
    Chaos lords should be women

Why is no one talking about mouth feel!?
  • Ephraim_DaltonEphraim_Dalton Senior Member Posts: 21,227Registered Users
This discussion has been closed.