Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

CA can you PLEASE fix Vlad's Sword?

Comments

• SephirexSephirex Right outside your windowPosts: 1,028Registered Users
    Well that image alone just ensured this thread will go for another page or two.
  • Commissar_GCommissar_G Senior Member Posts: 9,953Registered Users
    You should put that in the memes thread. For posterity.
    "As a sandbox game everyone, without exception, should be able to play the game exactly as they see fit and that means providing the maximum scope possible." - ~UNiOnJaCk~
  • TayvarTayvar Posts: 10,279Registered Users
    krunsh said:

I wouldn't mind it being longer, but certainly don't want it to be otherwise bigger. I hate how fantasy settings always exaggerate the size of weapons.

You don't complain about the orcs exaggerating size weapons, and yes Warhammer known for having many models with exaggerated size weapons, but it's not Vlad's case, Vlad simply use Two Handed Sword, and Two Handed Swords was used in real life, it's make no sense to use One Handed Sword if you are having a free hand, also someone as powerful as Vlad can handle an big sword, if even some mortals in the Empire can handle an big sword.
  • HoneyBunHoneyBun Senior Member Posts: 4,296Registered Users
    krunsh said:

I wouldn't mind it being longer, but certainly don't want it to be otherwise bigger.

Tayvar said:

You don't complain about the orcs exaggerating size weapons....

it's make no sense to use One Handed Sword if you are having a free hand ....

also someone as powerful as Vlad can handle an big sword, if even some mortals in the Empire can handle a big sword.

I can't be the only one giggling ...

They are making an FPS. Who knew a company could have a mid-life crisis ...

• SteelFaithSteelFaith Senior Member Posts: 1,000Registered Users
    Sephirex said:

No, I'm saying the weapon reach is going to be out of balance with the rest of the game. If you look at all the hero units, they try and keep the weapon reach within the same range (with the exception of Sun Eater who's monstrous)..... If you give Vlad an enormous sword

First off, no one in this thread even mentioned anything about an "enormous" sword, you and Setrus are the only ones going to that extreme with the Japanese anime example.

Secondly, you're making points that defeat your own argument. If the game can have heroes as extreme as Kholek, having a Vlad Von Carstein with a larger blade isn't going to break anything. In fact, it's a very easy adjustment to make, which can even be done in the mod files by adjusting weapon reach.

Anyhow, I have my answer, this is something modders will need to improve, and CA will release as is.

edited August 2016

That swords taller than him. If that doesn't fit under 'enormous', I don't know what does.

Kholek's weapon is still in scale with the rest of him, and his reach is supposed to be countered by his larger hitbox.

Increasing Vlad's sword length and size and using the current animations is going to look wonky and be out of balance.
  • GreyKnightDanteGreyKnightDante Posts: 339Registered Users
    edited August 2016
    does the length of a sword mean that much do you guys? Like really?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello I am an admin from the Warhammer Wiki. Please feel free to give any suggestions on how to our improve at this forum thread here! ANY help or suggestions is welcomed!

edited August 2016

Excellent point actually. I'm out.
    Sephirex said:

Kholek's weapon is still in scale with the rest of him, and his reach is supposed to be countered by his larger hitbox.

Increasing Vlad's sword length and size and using the current animations is going to look wonky and be out of balance.

Yep, and still not as extreme as the examples you used. Secondly, when a mod comes out making his sword a more appropriate size, and fitting for his character, and it works just fine, what excuse are you going to use then?

does the length of a sword mean that much do you guys?

If it doesn't matter to you, then why are you responding here? There must be a lot of things for you to do in life right now, instead of posting here, if you really don't care?

Yep, and still not as extreme as the examples you used. Secondly, when a mod comes out making his sword a more appropriate size, and fitting for his character, and it works just fine, what excuse are you going to use then?

Remind me when its released and I'll let you know.
    Till then, peace.
  • LowlyGruntLowlyGrunt Junior Member Posts: 141Registered Users
    Perhaps it's simpler if we just say that since GW canned WHFB anyway, everything in TWWH amounts to a retcon and is thus the new canon. Saves a lot of stress, could add years to your life.

(Excerpt from a banned heretical treatise by Grunt the Blasphemous, burned at the stake 2016 IC)

When I fix it for my mod, I will. I'll even make sure the weapon reach is just right for you.

Perhaps it's simpler if we just say that since GW canned WHFB anyway, everything in TWWH amounts to a retcon and is thus the new canon.

Vlad Von Baggins makes a lot more sense now, thanks for the clarification.

Yes it does, would you be happy if the Empire Greatswords would have an small swords as well?

• seienchinseienchin Senior Member Posts: 4,571Registered Users
    WTF is going on with the GIFs and Memes to shut people up recently... ?

I mean a thread talking about sword length and the question if CA's animators couldnt handle giving him a bigger sword is already funny but this turns the forum into 9gag...
    edited August 2016
    It shouldn't be a hard mod. Just shrink his model down to a regular trooper so his reach isn't obscene, give him the greatsword stance so he's two handing, and I'll call it good and balanced.
    @Commissar_G we are not Vlad's haters, we simply want him done right, or not be done at all.
    edited September 2016

He's not free enough, it will cost me mbs to download.

Most of us are sick of it, ergo, you vlad haters are getting memed upon.

Comment removed.

Secondly, I'm a big fan of Vlad Von Carstein - he's my favorite VC character. Which is exactly why I'm critical of this and want to see him portrayed correctly. I haven't even been active on this forum in months, and I post infrequently.

Vlad being in the game, then (Vlad fans aren't complaining about this).
    Mannfred being faction leader, then (The most ridiculous, and lazy thing about this flc, where they can't even bother to put Vlad in his rightful place as faction leader. Make Vlad DLC and do it properly then, I have no gripes about paying for quality work.)
    His face is wrong, then (his face is perfect, I love how he looks physically.)
    His voice is wrong, then (I love his voice as is, especially in the battle and campaign map as heard in the livestream today).
    His sword is wrong (Yes, his sword size is small, and inappropriate for his character).

Comment removed.

Post edited by dge1 on
  • The_AncientThe_Ancient Junior Member Posts: 58Registered Users
    Steel Faith, I hear you dude.

A simple criticism, and a rightful one, seems to often result in certain forum members jumping in and arguing why you're wrong. People tend to over-exaggerate to try and get their point across, and use humor as a mask but your original post was a fair one. I agree, that Vlad's sword is a bit too small compared to the table top. He doesn't need a ridiculously large sword by any means, but he also doesn't need one this small.

We'll have to wait for some awesome modder to simply scale his sword up a little bit, so it looks more intimidating on the battlefield. Done and done.

In the meantime, i'm sure we can all agree, that it is better to have Vlad as an option, than not at all.

PS. Forums are for people to voice their opinions/praises/concerns, as long as it's not done in a toxic manner. So to you guys giving the original post such a hard time, just chill out already... He made a fair argument.
    edited August 2016
    Feeling a little maligned as I never did a personal attack. OP asked me to contribute to the discussion and I did. Meanwhile, in my view, he got continually more belligerent and hostile. But I agree concerns should be able to be voiced.

Either way, good post Knight.

I do agree Vlad's sword could safely have a small size increase with the current animation set, though I don't think making it look like it does in his TT model would work.
    Unlike some others who are on here daily, I actually contribute to this community and put in HUNDREDS of hours into modding this game to make it more to the liking for thousands of people out there. It's not as if I'm on here everyday trolling, arguing, complaining, and then doing absolutely nothing about it, and demand attention from other people and the Developers.

So I'm definitely not one of those people making this forum a worse place for the community, and driving people away.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=704361604

Steel Faith, I hear you dude.
    We'll have to wait for some awesome modder to simply scale his sword up a little bit, so it looks more intimidating on the battlefield. Done and done

It will be done in my mod, but I'd prefer it was officially done, because mods are not permanent.

• ThanquolThanquol Senior Member SkavenblightPosts: 2,017Registered Users
    edited August 2016
    Quick overview of the most common things about CA's rendition of Vlad members of the community dislike:

1. Zombie Vlad - CA went with a zombie look for some reason over his estabished very bat like apearence.

2.Not voiced by Crispen Freeman - Most expected a more regal/less typical "bad guy" voice considering his character.

3.Straw Drinker - Gave him a short sword over the one of larger size his TT model wields.

Of these personally only number 1 bothers me.

#BuffKemmlerCA

Post edited by Thanquol on
    "Fear me for I am Grey Seer Thanqol, Greatest TWW player in all of Skavendom."

Team Skaven

Which team are you? Post in your signature

Team Empire Team Bretonnia Team Kislev Team Dwarf Team Chaos Dwarf Team High Elves
    Team Dark Elves
    Team Wood Elves Team Warriors of Chaos Team Daemons of Chaos
    Team Beastmen
    Team Vampire Counts Team Tomb Kings Team Orcs and Goblins
    Team Ogre Kingdoms
    Team Lizardmen Team Skaven

edited August 2016

Quick overview of the most common things about CA's rendition of Vlad members of the community dislike:

1. Zombie Vlad - CA went with a zombie look for some reason over his estabished very bat like apearence.

2.Not voiced by Crispen Freeman - Most expected a more regal/less typical "bad guy" voice considering his character.

3.Straw Drinker - Gave him a short sword over the one of larger size his TT model wields.

Of these personally only 1 bothers me.

Haha, I can already tell from your word usage which one it is.
  • CanuoveaCanuovea Posts: 12,674Registered Users, Moderators
    Alright. Looking at that picture, its... um... actually kinda weird. There is clearly room for two of his hands on that sword. The length of the blade is, however, shorter than most of the pictures of Vlad with his sword here.

Another difference is that the hand guard in the original only goes over one hand, with the rest of the grip just shooting out past it. I'm not entirely sure what to think of that.

So sure, he could use the sword being lengthened, but he still needs to use it in one hand for magic animation purposes.
    -Forum Terms and Conditions: https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest
    -Using all caps is the equivalent of shouting. Please don't.
    -The "Spam" flag is not a "disagree" flag. Have a care.
    -...No, no the "Abuse" flag isn't a "disagree" flag either!
    -5.7 Summon a moderator if someone seems to be out of line, or use the report button. Do NOT become another party to misbehaviour
  • ladymissfitladymissfit Senior Member Posts: 1,711Registered Users
    Canuovea said:

but he still needs to use it in one hand for magic purposes.

I BET he does!
    Chaos lords should be women

Why is no one talking about mouth feel!?
  • boyfightsboyfights Junior Member Posts: 4,023Registered Users
    make vlad ride a nose that has big swords coming from nostrils

u can use that in ur mod if you want, free idea

boyfights you are always here to confirmate every spark of originality
    or reason burns or acid bruises anyone,
    stop your gladiator love for agressions.
    Sephirex said:

I do agree Vlad's sword could safely have a small size increase with the current animation set, though I don't think making it look like it does in his TT model would work.

Vlad should have an animation similar to Greatswords in battle, Vlad is powerful enough to hold his Greatsword in one hand to look cool, but I am sure he using his other free hand when he strike.
  • The_AncientThe_Ancient Junior Member Posts: 58Registered Users
    Honestly, i think the only reason people are so critical of how the current Vlad model looks, is because he's such a popular fan favorite. I know he is for me personally. I'm content with how CA made him, they did a pretty good job. But it's not how i would've gone about it.

So when people make reasonable and fair criticisms, it's only because they like the game and the character so much. It's a good thing, really! We all want this game to be the best it can possibly be, in all aspects. Even though you will never be able to please everybody. Nothing is perfect after all.

And LadyMissfit, the d*** jokes are pretty funny. Way to add a little bit of humor here!
  • boyfightsboyfights Junior Member Posts: 4,023Registered Users
    CA: keep vlad the same, but make archaon's sword bigger instead B)
    boyfights you are always here to confirmate every spark of originality
    or reason burns or acid bruises anyone,
    stop your gladiator love for agressions.
    edited August 2016
    Tayvar said:

Sephirex said:

Vlad should have an animation similar to Greatswords in battle, Vlad is powerful enough to hold his Greatsword in one hand to look cool, but I am sure he using his other free hand when he strike.
    Not sure if the current Greatsword animations have a set for casting magic. And again, I'd want his character model to be shrinked to be in line with other units, like the regular Greatswords, if they're going to give his weapon greater reach. As of right now, with the way CA does Lords he's 3 feet too tall. Otherwise I'm in agreement.
    @boyfights you can stop trolling and spamming, Vlad's aesthetics in Total War is a serious issue.

@Sephirex I didn't said that it need to be one to one, Vlad should have an Greatsword model that can use magic, is it really that hard to make a mix of those two in Total War and do it right?
This discussion has been closed.