Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

CA can you PLEASE fix Vlad's Sword?

Comments

• boyfightsboyfights Junior Member Posts: 4,023Registered Users
    well he can't have a bigger sword than archaon, you're right it is serious

keep sword the same, make vlad kholek-sized

but give his sword the growing kholek bug
    boyfights you are always here to confirmate every spark of originality
    or reason burns or acid bruises anyone,
    stop your gladiator love for agressions.
  • Ephraim_DaltonEphraim_Dalton Senior Member Posts: 19,038Registered Users
    Vlad's aesthetics in Total War is a serious issue.

Let's see what your beloved TVTropes has to say about this:

tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SeriousBusiness

• TayvarTayvar Posts: 10,279Registered Users

Vlad's aesthetics in Total War is a serious issue.

Let's see what your beloved TVTropes has to say about this:

tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SeriousBusiness
    In fact that's what TV Tropes would have to say about giving Vlad small sword and beaten up face.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AdaptationalWimp
    i would pay $5 for the vlad we are getting rather than take a free dracula with a big anime sword
  • Ephraim_DaltonEphraim_Dalton Senior Member Posts: 19,038Registered Users
    In fact that's what TV Tropes would have to say about giving Vlad small sword and beaten up face.

That would only apply if Vlad was actually worse at fighting than in the source material and Adaptional Wimp doesn't cover aesthetics.

You quote TVTropes a lot but don't seem to actually read the articles.

boyfights said:

i would pay $5 for the vlad we are getting rather than take a free dracula with a big anime sword

@boyfights Greatsword is not "anime sword", and Archaon have smaller sword because he have a shield, while Vlad don't have a shield, so he would use his other hand on his weapon to.
  • jamreal18jamreal18 Senior Member Posts: 8,260Registered Users
    edited August 2016
    Tayvar said:

@Steel*Faith you right man, I already experience those fan-boys and yesmen attacks on me.

Instead CA themselves are the one answering and clarifying things on comments, suggestions, critisms, complains, the FANBOYS are butting in as if most of the threads are addressed to them... Fanboys are acting like they speak for CA... They are acting like they are the RIGHT one and some users concerns are irrelevant because they have different point of view from them...
  • ITA_Vae_VictisITA_Vae_Victis Senior Member ItalyPosts: 1,572Registered Users
    This has descended into pure insanity. This forum is a joke of itself by now.

See you all on reddit, where at least spamming the same stuff over and over again in multiple threads collects dozens of downvotes and is automatically hidden - as it should be.
  • CanuoveaCanuovea Posts: 12,659Registered Users, Moderators
    Okay, sure, as ironic as it is to try to derail this thread like has happened with other threads, and as much as it would feel like sweet sweet revenge, can we not? Please?

This is a thread about Vlad's sword. There are many swords like it, but it is his. It is not a thread about TV Tropes or CA fanboys or Vlad's nose (except perhaps tangentially). We can respect each other a bit more than this.
    -Forum Terms and Conditions: https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest
    -Using all caps is the equivalent of shouting. Please don't.
    -The "Spam" flag is not a "disagree" flag. Have a care.
    -...No, no the "Abuse" flag isn't a "disagree" flag either!
    -5.7 Summon a moderator if someone seems to be out of line, or use the report button. Do NOT become another party to misbehaviour
    @Tayvar if you read the lore, vlad uses his sword in one hand and the other hand to hold on to his detached nose
  • Aren73Aren73 Junior Member Posts: 391Registered Users
    I agree, Vlad's sword is too small. Why? Ca tried to do him a bit cheaper and so recycled animations, however those animations only work for small swords, hence they reduced his length. So essentially to increase the length would induce clipping and overall a bad animation look with his current animation set.

I wish that some people on here understood that CA tried, they really did try to make Vlad have the right length however they could not pull it off and remain within the price boundaries for the flc. I'd rather he was done better and we pay for him though, because Vlad is the coolest character in the game atm.

So yes, sword is too small, not sure what can be done about it.
    BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD, SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE, MILK FOR THE KHORNE FLAKES!

Team Vampire Counts
    @Aren I would too prefer Vlad to be in a DLC, because the FLC don't do him justice, at all.
    Tayvar said:

@Aren I would too prefer Vlad to be in a DLC, because the FLC don't do him justice, at all.

I dunno. He really isn't all that different from Mannfred when you think about it.

I was one of those folks who wasn't too keen on having him show up at all, but after thinking about it, its not a bad idea and plenty of fun can be had.

And while I agree that Aren has a good point about FLC budget vis a vis the sword, I also think that many of the complaints about Vlad are subjective. Not saying you all don't have a point, but I am pretty satisfied with what we're getting. As such, it seems to me that someone would find something to complain about even if you were satisfied, Tayvar. And if it were DLC, it would be worse. Because FLC is... well... free. Not really all that much one can complain about because hey, sure, Vlad might not have a nose, his sword might be too short, and so on, but at least it wasn't all those things plus you had to pay for him.
    -Forum Terms and Conditions: https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest
    -5.7 Summon a moderator if someone seems to be out of line, or use the report button. Do NOT become another party to misbehaviour
  • theedge634theedge634 Senior Member Posts: 1,606Registered Users
    Man... this forum has devolved quickly. Tayvar is a one man wrecking crew, and is like some sort of sarcastic caricature of the roman sandles threads of old.

The problem here is that there are 2 extremes, and both of them are fairly petty and insignificant.

I think that most would agree that Vlad looks a tad bit off, and it's possible that the decaying flesh on his face is a bit overkill when compared to the other vampires in the game. It's also noticeable that his sword is a bit smaller than maybe it should be, not much though, just a small increase in size would probably help.

It's also prudent to mention that NEITHER of these things are big deals, or deal breakers for the Vlad model for most reasonable people. 90% of Vlads model is great, these 10 page threads with gifs and videos of non-nonsensical and irrelevant information need to stop. I really hope they don't make Vlad's sword as large as the model, that's for sure.
    Canuovea said:

Tayvar said:

I dunno. He really isn't all that different from Mannfred when you think about it.

I was one of those folks who wasn't too keen on having him show up at all, but after thinking about it, its not a bad idea and plenty of fun can be had.

And while I agree that Aren has a good point about FLC budget vis a vis the sword, I also think that many of the complaints about Vlad are subjective. Not saying you all don't have a point, but I am pretty satisfied with what we're getting. As such, it seems to me that someone would find something to complain about even if you were satisfied, Tayvar. And if it were DLC, it would be worse. Because FLC is... well... free. Not really all that much one can complain about because hey, sure, Vlad might not have a nose, his sword might be too short, and so on, but at least it wasn't all those things plus you had to pay for him.
    You really think that Vlad would have all those problems in Total War in he was DLC? they could had make a DLC with Vlad, with much better looking model, and a Vampire Wars mini campaign, Creative Assembly should not give us units as FLC, if they can't do them right as FLC, and things like that are hurting this trilogy as whole.
  • Aren73Aren73 Junior Member Posts: 391Registered Users
    @Canuovea - well said.

I do think that people would complain whatever but the complaints have been flowing thick and fast recently. Could CA have done a better job and kept closer to the art/lore? Yes, definitely and objectively yes. Would he have looked better with a larger budget? Yes definitely and objectively yes.

What could be improved?

1. Nose
    2. Zombie skin
    3. Sword length
    4. Whiter hair that flows in the wind
    5. A Cape that is writhing with ghost faces and flutters in an ethereal wind
    6. An overall more sunken look to his face

All that could be added and I think all that is keeping him from looking like the art.

Vlad is bearable now, I can play with him and think he's Vlad but my immersion can definitely be enhanced.

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD, SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE, MILK FOR THE KHORNE FLAKES!

Team Vampire Counts
    Tayvar said:

Canuovea said:

Tayvar said:

You really think that Vlad would have all those problems in Total War in he was DLC? they could had make a DLC with Vlad, with much better looking model, and a Vampire Wars mini campaign, Creative Assembly should not give us units as FLC, if they can't do them right as FLC, and things like that are hurting this trilogy as whole.
    Maybe, maybe not. But someone would be unhappy with something. My point wasn't that these problems wouldn't be there, my point is that there would be that even if you were 100% satisfied, someone would find something to dislike.

I think they've done a pretty good job, especially with what they've had to work with. So I don't think they're doing him "wrong". And I'd rather have FLC.

• theedge634theedge634 Senior Member Posts: 1,606Registered Users
    edited August 2016
    Aren said:

@Canuovea - well said.

I do think that people would complain whatever but the complaints have been flowing thick and fast recently. Could CA have done a better job and kept closer to the art/lore? Yes, definitely and objectively yes. Would he have looked better with a larger budget? Yes definitely and objectively yes.

What could be improved?

1. Nose
    2. Zombie skin
    3. Sword length
    4. Whiter hair that flows in the wind
    5. A Cape that is writhing with ghost faces and flutters in an ethereal wind
    6. An overall more sunken look to his face

All that could be added and I think all that is keeping him from looking like the art.

Vlad is bearable now, I can play with him and think he's Vlad but my immersion can definitely be enhanced.

Here's the thing though, while I somewhat agree with your post... I have to retort here.

1. Nose - 50/50 on him having a nose, some artwork he has one, others he doesn't, and in other artwork his nose is like a cross between a bat and not having one at all... the whole nose thing isn't an issue in my view, and consistent with many depictions of vlad.

2. Zombie Skin - agree, hopefully modders will fix it with a simple retexture job, shouldn't be to extremely difficult to fix up his skin... but I do agree, it is overboard and not really in full keeping with the majority of artwork involving Vlad, either they should go with more terrifying around the mouth, or patch up the decayed flesh on places like his forehead. It's passable, but I just don't understand why they did it.

3. Sword Length - TINY bit small, the TT model has far too large a sword, his artwork suggest a longsword/bastardsword, while his model suggests a claymore/zweihander. His artwork looks far more appropriate and accurate considering the ridiculous sizing of weapons the TT often uses. His sword could be a tiny bit bigger, but should DEFINITELY NOT be a large greatsword, IMHO.

4. Whiter Hair - his hair is fine... and completely in keeping with Vlad's hair in many depictions, as far as flowing hair.. I'm not sure that's within CA's wheel house. Do any other models have flowing hair?

5. Mannfred didn't get his soul cape, I doubt Vlad would get his.

6. Sunken Face - again hit or miss, some Vlad pictures have his face sunken, others not so much.
    Canuovea said:

Tayvar said:

Canuovea said:

Tayvar said:

Maybe, maybe not. But someone would be unhappy with something. My point wasn't that these problems wouldn't be there, my point is that there would be that even if you were 100% satisfied, someone would find something to dislike.

I think they've done a pretty good job, especially with what they've had to work with. So I don't think they're doing him "wrong". And I'd rather have FLC.

Vlad is the worse looking Legendary Lord in Total War and you calling it "pretty good job"? at least Mannfred have nice looking fangs and no beaten up face, as a vampire should, also Vlad should have bat-like nose.
    edited August 2016
    I agree that the Table Top sword is absolutely ridiculous. It is simply too big to work as realistic. But I can see why people want the TWW sword a bit longer (and I'd kinda agree a tad).
    vlad's nose fell off and he tripped over it and landed on his face, no big deal
  • KayosivKayosiv Senior Member Posts: 2,612Registered Users
    edited August 2016
    Canuovea said:

I agree that the Table Top sword is absolutely ridiculous. It is simply too big to work as realistic. But I can see why people want the TWW sword a bit longer (and I'd kinda agree a tad).

The guy's is likely 10 times as strong as a normal man. Having a silly big sword to take advantage of it, especially if its magical, seems to make logical sense.

If you're strong an never tire, why not have a huge reach and weight bonus when fighting?
    Space Frontier is a sci-fi themed board game I've designed for 2-4 players. Please take a look and enjoy our free Print-and-Play at FreezeDriedGames.com

If you have any questions about tactics or mechanics in Total War Warhammer multiplayer, feel free to PM me.
    @boyfights it's a big deal for a vampire with the best regenerative abilities in the sitting.
    me irl

Kayosiv said:

Canuovea said:

The guy's is likely 10 times as strong as a normal man. Having a silly big sword to take advantage of it, especially if its magical, seems to make logical sense.

If you're strong an never tire, why not have a huge reach and weight bonus when fighting?
    Because its not actually that useful. Using that monstrosity in one hand will be difficult. You are going to clip things, hit the ground, have trouble with the bind... and so on. Not to mention the super long grip is going to get caught on your arm or other things. Whereas with a lighter, already magical, sword you're going to be even faster and have far better control.

Seriously, its just as ridiculous in its own way as that paddleboard the older model uses in the picture that boyfights just posted.

So I'm glad that CA have downplayed it... but they may have done so just a bit too much.
  • shinrosshinros Posts: 1,517Registered Users
    I am just sitting here enjoying all of this. Honestly can't wait to play him he looks fun.
    Nagash: When Nagash reaches out to crush his enemies, it is with a million hands. When Nagash seeks out his prey, it is with a million eyes.....
  • KayosivKayosiv Senior Member Posts: 2,612Registered Users
    Canuovea said:

Because its not actually that useful. Using that monstrosity in one hand will be difficult. You are going to clip things, hit the ground, have trouble with the bind... and so on. Not to mention the super long grip is going to get caught on your arm or other things. Whereas with a lighter, already magical, sword you're going to be even faster and have far better control.

Fair points.

I'd still like to see the sword the approximate size of the weapons that greatswords use, but I can certainly agree that the 6 foot monster that the tabletop miniature is using is impractical at best.
    Space Frontier is a sci-fi themed board game I've designed for 2-4 players. Please take a look and enjoy our free Print-and-Play at FreezeDriedGames.com

If you have any questions about tactics or mechanics in Total War Warhammer multiplayer, feel free to PM me.
    Kayosiv said:

Canuovea said:

Fair points.

I'd still like to see the sword the approximate size of the weapons that greatswords use, but I can certainly agree that the 6 foot monster that the tabletop miniature is using is impractical at best.
    And yeah, its... well, it is a fantasy game. So I won't demand realism all the time.
  • SeldkamSeldkam Senior Member Posts: 3,677Registered Users
    Canuovea said:

Kayosiv said:

Canuovea said:

Seriously, its just as ridiculous in its own way as that paddleboard the older model uses in the picture that boyfights just posted.

So I'm glad that CA have downplayed it... but they may have done so just a bit too much.
    I'd like to point out that in my limited knowledge of swords, larger ones don't actually perform quite as slowly as one would think, it's more a matter of how it's being used. Also the whole it might get caught on something is a weird point considering how Vlad has probably had countless times to figure out how NOT to do that.

Again, flailing around the sword might lend itself to your point but the problem with that there's not very much evidence detailing how Vlad fights, huh? If he fights like a beast then yep, you're right. If he fights how i would imagine, a mix of HEMA (think sword martial arts of the western style based on actual codexes) then there's very little way to go wrong since he wouldn't need to move the sword through enemies to kill them. Efficient but small slashes, cuts and almost rapier like thrusts with longer reach is very deadly, just look at the olde spear.

TLDR
    Basically using 2h swords isn't nearly as cumbersome as one may think lol.
    The inferior races of this world will be crushed one by one, as our armies move from shore to shore, and hill to hill, and city to city-- and each of their cries will be as music to our ears, for we are the Druchii.
This discussion has been closed.