Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Your opinion of the current patch

cool_ladcool_lad Senior MemberIndiaRegistered Users Posts: 2,276
This current patch, at least in my opinion is a big disappointment for me. Not only does it fail to address some of the most glaring issues with the campaign such as AI army composition, beastmen AI and late game Norsca, it also actually made the overall campaign experience worse than it already is by taking away from the core mechanics of the Vampire Counts (regen caps, slowing down of flying units and toning down of magic).

It seems to essentially sacrifice the campaign play (diversity and uniqueness) on the altar of MP.

What are your opinions?

Comments

• boyfightsboyfights Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 4,023
    Pretty good but they forgot to remove multiplayer battles, oh well there's always next patch
    boyfights you are always here to confirmate every spark of originality
    or reason burns or acid bruises anyone,
    stop your gladiator love for agressions.
  • BoindilBoindil Registered Users Posts: 459
    Pls fix the Ai army compositions...they sometimes really suck ;) We will never ever play against Knights of the blazing sun if they are only available in one spezific Tier 5 settlement...

And pls make Norscans not that annoying...I get it they raid, but that does not mean they have to bring 50% missile cav and direwolves...give them more maurauders please! And pls chance the Ai so they can field lategame units...its boring to kill swordsmen and spearmen at turn 120...Also let them recruit RoR and include the new units in garrisons!
  • boyfightsboyfights Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 4,023
    I love that Norse stacks use such an aggravating composition and I hope they never change it, or at least no more than they already have
    boyfights you are always here to confirmate every spark of originality
    or reason burns or acid bruises anyone,
    stop your gladiator love for agressions.
  • GrandChamp89GrandChamp89 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,557
    edited September 2016
    Not a complete waste IMO.

For its flaws it did a lot of good.

Toned down hero healing and Leoun cheeseball.
    Toned down Shems burning cheese which is always appreciated.

If CA fine tune the healing of Vampires from 60% to 100% I'm OK with that.
    And let Lore of Life (when wood elves arrive) be at 60% along with all the healing potions.

The Army composition i agree with 100% though. I fought a stack of 19 rock lobbers not too long ago :/

Fine tuning goes a long way.
    I just hope CA will start implementing Beta tests before they roll out huge balance changes in the future. WOuld go a long way IMO.
    "It's the hottest fire that forge the strongest steel"
  • GaussiaGaussia Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,260
    Have only played about 50 turns on the campaign but quite a few battles. But it seemed like not all of the patch notes were uploaded? In that case I don't want to make any final veridict until I've seen the full version.

While the DLC is awsome, from what I know about the patch it is quite disapointing. It brings a little balancing and some bug fixes (most importantly for reinforcments). The biggest gameplay change is the regenerationlimitation. Personally not a fan, rather then just removed health pots from multiplayer.

Most of the biggest gameplay issues were left alone though (none of them close to the big issues of e.g. Rome 2 though). What is worrying is that it seems the team is starting to focus on the expansion now? That might imply that there's mostly some balancing and bugfixes left for now. I really hope that is not the case.

(No improvment to the chaos invasion, sieges, WoC campaign, AI, diplomacy, quest chain, Beastmens being insignificant in the campaign, allowing flyers to land etc.)
  • StephinceStephince Registered Users Posts: 2,736
    It's an excellent patch to an amazing game that is a serious long term project. Yes there are bugs but in something this complex they are unavoidable. Be patient people and it will all turn out fine.
  • Horus168Horus168 Registered Users Posts: 578
    Fixing reinforcement direction is a massive improvement.
    Post patch orcs and dwarves seem to be balance better.
    Flc Vlad removed my least favourite thing about vc (the long slow walk at the start of every battle), and so prompted me too play through a lot vc campaign.
    RoR allow panic 0turn lord + RoR recruitment.

Seems like quite a few plus points in this patch..
  • MoritasgusMoritasgus Registered Users Posts: 744
    Gaussia said:

Have only played about 50 turns on the campaign but quite a few battles. But it seemed like not all of the patch notes were uploaded? In that case I don't want to make any final veridict until I've seen the full version.

While the DLC is awsome, from what I know about the patch it is quite disapointing. It brings a little balancing and some bug fixes (most importantly for reinforcments). The biggest gameplay change is the regenerationlimitation. Personally not a fan, rather then just removed health pots from multiplayer.

Most of the biggest gameplay issues were left alone though (none of them close to the big issues of e.g. Rome 2 though). What is worrying is that it seems the team is starting to focus on the expansion now? That might imply that there's mostly some balancing and bugfixes left for now. I really hope that is not the case.

(No improvment to the chaos invasion, sieges, WoC campaign, AI, diplomacy, quest chain, Beastmens being insignificant in the campaign, allowing flyers to land etc.)

CA don't produce a full version of the patch notes. They only tend to report changes that can be seen visually through the UI such as Melee Att/Def etc. The Dwarfs all got a missile def increase via their shields but as this was a hidden number this doesn't get reported.
    Unless Ca change their policy and give full patch notes it will be down to the players (modders) to find out changes or you will never know.
  • oleryscolerysc Registered Users Posts: 56
    The addon was overall good, but the patch was small: it didn't address performance issues: for instance on new beastmen maps many users are still having FPS drops; AI still can't build buildings to hire high-tier units and comes with armys full of archer/zombies and other crap; there is no weather selection; you will get the same map even if you attack near the river, etc.

In the modding community people try to fix the problems by mods: to disable beastman's maps, tweak AI, make predefined wether conditions, but it's workarond and indication that CA missed something.
  • StephinceStephince Registered Users Posts: 2,736
    It indicates that CA decided to go in a certain direction, presumably after much discussion. There are bound to be other directions they could have gone in but they can only choose one. Modders allow those other directions to be explored and it's up to the player base whether it's CAs or someone elses vision they prefer.
  • CeltiKCeltiK Registered Users Posts: 161
    I pretty much fixed the AI's problem for building and recruitment in my mod, you can find information here: https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/183321/mod-ai-building-and-recruitment#latest

I'm still working to make it compatible with the latest patch and DLC. Should be available later this week.
  • FrontlinerDeltaFrontlinerDelta Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 3,549
    Game is good mostly overall but the regeneration cap is a worrisome direction for homogenizing factions instead of balancing per faction.
  • SephirexSephirex Right outside your windowRegistered Users Posts: 1,028
    I've still had some wonky reinforcement directions. Everything else has been fine. Oh and I'm a little annoyed by the RoR not stacking correctly with lord and research bonuses. I feel like the Beastman are very active and the campaign can go all kinds of interesting ways.
  • MordrethMordreth Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,130
    Dwarves are still really bad at mp. The units fun and supposed power units are trash.

Out gunned.

Out meleed

Out maneuvered

Out everything.