Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Help! Lore question

kroghammerkroghammer Junior MemberRegistered Users Posts: 208
I am completely new to the warhammer universe. I have been playing TW since Rome 1. I was wondering what books people would recommend reading to start with? I want something with a good introduction into the lore as well as be a captivating read. Where should I start? Thanks.
Team Nippon
Tagged:

Comments

• SetrusSetrus Senior Member SwedenRegistered Users Posts: 18,553
    HoneyBun said:

To be honest, I would not start with the books.

The books are like an extra layer of lore. A story which takes place in a tiny part of a huge and complex world.

I would start with a map. Get a map of the warhammer world and get familiar with it. Then search for the names and places you see on the map on a warhammer wiki.

If I knew nothing that is how I would start. The warhammer world started as a game - not a book. So you want to know the factions first.

It's a good idea right here, I'd do that first. :)

I think CA also has these two Warhammer total war books, I'd recommend the Empire one as a follow-up to the above advice, it's fairly good in showing both Empire and Chaos off without getting a bit repetitive like the Chaos one. :)
    http://www.blacklibrary.com/all-products/the-emerors-armies-pb.html

Also, if you can get a hold of any of the army books for the tabletop game, that would be gold. :)
    Don't worry.
  • boyfightsboyfights Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 4,023
    i've always found the novels to be pretty bad, personally i think you're better off to pick an army that looks interesting and read the fluff in the army book. they all give a good introduction to the factions from their perspective, and go into detail about who they are and why they're fighting and all that stuff
    boyfights you are always here to confirmate every spark of originality
    or reason burns or acid bruises anyone,
    stop your gladiator love for agressions.
  • ITA_Vae_VictisITA_Vae_Victis Senior Member ItalyRegistered Users Posts: 1,648
    Skip the novels for now, they were an afterthought. The basics of the universe and the factions are in the rulebooks for the (now defunct) tabletop game.

If you can't take an hold on those, online encyclopedias will do as well. Lexicanum and the Warhammer Wiki are the best English ones. Just ignore the "Age of Sigmar" stuff, which has nothing to do with Warhammer Fantasy.
  • herjan1987herjan1987 Registered Users Posts: 644

I am completely new to the warhammer universe. I have been playing TW since Rome 1. I was wondering what books people would recommend reading to start with? I want something with a good introduction into the lore as well as be a captivating read. Where should I start? Thanks.

I can only repeat what many people said before me, try to get hold of an army book ( 6th, 7th or 8th edition one ), if you want to have an overall look of a faction.

Novels are for more, if you want to see a bit detailed view of a character/s, but you can still have a peak into how the every day life goes in sorrundings. If you take this route please leave your expressions here:

https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/183473/keep-this-bumped-if-anyone-wants-a-shard-of-the-old-world-to-keep-in-his-house-visit-this-link#latest
    Team Dwarfes
    Team Brettonnia
    Team Tomb Kings
    Team High Elf
    Team Averland

Leitdorf for Emperor!

Original Regiments of Renown and Dogs of War
    Make Marious Leitdorf a playable Legendary Lord
    Warhammer Fantasy Novels in Black Library
  • KrunchKrunch Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 4,175
    boyfights said:

i've always found the novels to be pretty bad, personally i think you're better off to pick an army that looks interesting and read the fluff in the army book. they all give a good introduction to the factions from their perspective, and go into detail about who they are and why they're fighting and all that stuff

Gotrek and Felix? The Vampire Wars? Lots of others? Either you've been picking out really **** books(Of which there are many for Warhammer sadly) on accident or you just haven't read Warhammer Novels
  • whigetwhiget Registered Users Posts: 19
    I will recomended books to Warhammer Fantasy Role Play game 2 edition. Lot of good pice of information :)
    Pray for PEACE,
    Train for WAR!
  • boyfightsboyfights Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 4,023
    i read a couple of the gotrek and felix books, and a number of the 40k ones, i can't remember exactly what else because it was years ago while i was still playing tabletop and they were nothing worth remembering

i didn't think that was a particularly contentious opinion,
    Krunch said:

Either you've been picking out really **** books(Of which there are many for Warhammer sadly)

you yourself seem to agree with it :confounded:
    boyfights you are always here to confirmate every spark of originality
    or reason burns or acid bruises anyone,
    stop your gladiator love for agressions.
  • wingren013wingren013 Registered Users Posts: 1,001
    The various army books are fairly cheap on amazon and such. There are also several pdfs of them floating around in some warhammer communities.
  • Overlord87Overlord87 Registered Users Posts: 856
    boyfights said:

i read a couple of the gotrek and felix books, and a number of the 40k ones, i can't remember exactly what else because it was years ago while i was still playing tabletop and they were nothing worth remembering

i didn't think that was a particularly contentious opinion,

Krunch said:

Either you've been picking out really **** books(Of which there are many for Warhammer sadly)

you yourself seem to agree with it :confounded:
    I have quite enjoyed most of the Horus Heresy saga, especially the first three and Fulgrim, plus the one on Ultramarines and Death Guard. Don't know about the most recent ones, still stuck around the 15th or something like that.

But that's the 40k. Most books for the fantasy suck, I agree. I remember the first book on Nagash being decent, though. From the Time of Legends series.