Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

The Wood Elves Lore, Army, Tactics, and New Mechanics

Comments

• HorseWithNoNameHorseWithNoName Registered Users Posts: 1,001
    @greyhat What I mean by Wild Hunt targeting armies is not it targetig specific armies but something like "defeat x armies (maybe of the strongest faction)". Wild Hunt with the goal of razing/sacking settlements does not seem right to me as imo hunts are about killing things, not destroying things.

Also I do not think World Roots would be OP if it is restricted enough. What indypride suggested would imo be quite balanced as there would be an indication where the WE army would appear and the ability to react accordingly (channeling time and ability to attempt an assassination on the mage type character). The more I think about it the more I like the idea, even the "economy" being improved by it.
  • ValeliValeli Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,106
    I'm rather sick of various corruption mechanics myself.

Having it on one or two races was special and interesting. Having it on everyone is just a replacement for having to maintain your religion/culture/whatever in previous TW games, and it's more of a tedious mechanic than anything I find enjoyable.

They really shouldn't focus on it much more (in general).
  • ShiroAmakusa75ShiroAmakusa75 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 34,001
    Valeli said:

Having it on one or two races was special and interesting. Having it on everyone is just a replacement for having to maintain your religion/culture/whatever in previous TW games, and it's more of a tedious mechanic than anything I find enjoyable.

Completely disagree, I would even say BM should get their own special sort of chaotic corruption instead of the WoC one.
  • KrunchKrunch Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 5,065
    SiWi said:

@boyfights
    then let's hope that my theory with the BM/WE Lord Pack isn't off ;)

CA Has explicitly stated they have no intention of making DLC for DLC, and with good reason.
  • IndyprideIndypride Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,729

Valeli said:

Completely disagree, I would even say BM should get their own special sort of chaotic corruption instead of the WoC one.
    For what reason? The corruption that Morghur and Brayherd Shamans spread is pure Chaos energy, just like the followers of Chaos Undivided would spread. When Chaos Divided comes, CA could probably make a distinction between Nurgle pestilence corruption and Tzeentch change corruption and things along those lines, but the Beastmen are still followers of Chaos and still blight the land in the same manner that Warriors of Chaos Undivided would I would think.
  • SiWISiWI Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 11,895
    Krunch said:

SiWi said:

@boyfights

CA Has explicitly stated they have no intention of making DLC for DLC, and with good reason.
    Did they? I don't remember if I read the primary scoucre for this, mind a link?

A couple of hints as well logistical arguments point in a different direction:
    Number of DLC, especially the estimated Lord packs base on datamine makes it very unlikely that they are suppose to be shared by 4-5 (bretonnia) races, since the number of LL's for the races, compared to BM/WoC and all coming races would lead to comical differences in LL.

The pattern of what is missing by BM is interesting to say the least.
    They Missing Doombull as generic Lords and don't have Taurox as LL.
    *CA ick hör dir tappsen*

RoR, not having any RoR, when others would have dozen since every Lord Pack shall have a couple and if the main races have to share all of the Lord packs, we end up with 30-50 RoR for the main races and 0 for the others.
    Ratling_Guns.gif?t=1554385892
  • ShiroAmakusa75ShiroAmakusa75 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 34,001
    Indypride said:

Valeli said:

For what reason?
    No great hiding in forests if you turn everything into a volcanic wasteland. I want BM corruption to turn the land into something akin to what you get on the beastpath maps, an unworldly, terrifying forest.
  • herjan1987herjan1987 Registered Users Posts: 644

Indypride said:

Valeli said:

For what reason?
    No great hiding in forests if you turn everything into a volcanic wasteland. I want BM corruption to turn the land into something akin to what you get on the beastpath maps, an unworldly, terrifying forest.
    In my opinion Beastmen shoudnt have corruption mechanics at all, ( maybe the Brayhaerd of Morghul ) despite being literally children of Chaos . The fact that they hide in forests are just, because if they werent hinding in the forests then they would target practise for Empire cannons.

In the past of the Old World Beastmen where crawling everywhere in the Empire, Bretonnia in the Border Princes in way bigger numbers then now. Yet they didnt terraformed the Old World in any sort of way.
    Team Dwarfes
    Team Brettonnia
    Team Tomb Kings
    Team High Elf
    Team Averland

Leitdorf for Emperor!

Original Regiments of Renown and Dogs of War
    Make Marious Leitdorf a playable Legendary Lord
    Warhammer Fantasy Novels in Black Library

Indypride said:

Valeli said:

For what reason?
    Makes sense. I think thats more a function of how CA decided to show the corruption on the campaign map, rather than there being a functional difference between the types of corruption that Beastmen and WoC actually spread. It would be pretty cool if Beastmen corruption actually did turn battle maps into unwordly, terrifying forest though, especially with Morghur if he becomes a Legendary Lord.
    edited September 2016
    SiWi said:

Krunch said:

SiWi said:

@boyfights

Did they? I don't remember if I read the primary scoucre for this, mind a link?

A couple of hints as well logistical arguments point in a different direction:
    Number of DLC, especially the estimated Lord packs base on datamine makes it very unlikely that they are suppose to be shared by 4-5 (bretonnia) races, since the number of LL's for the races, compared to BM/WoC and all coming races would lead to comical differences in LL.

The pattern of what is missing by BM is interesting to say the least.
    They Missing Doombull as generic Lords and don't have Taurox as LL.
    *CA ick hör dir tappsen*

RoR, not having any RoR, when others would have dozen since every Lord Pack shall have a couple and if the main races have to share all of the Lord packs, we end up with 30-50 RoR for the main races and 0 for the others.
    I quite vividly remember reading a post directly from either a blog or CA member of staff, trying to find it now

EDIT: Should note that I do think DLC for DLC is fine under some circumstances, just saying CA has already made a stance on it
    edited September 2016
    Krabbz said:

What I'm looking for the most is a separate map for Athel Loren that you could access from the GC map.
    A separate map with all 12 kingdoms (12 provinces with multiples settlements in each). This would solve the "no conquering" race issue. Add lots of BM/GS/Dwarfs/Tree Spirits army spawns to challenge the player all game long.

This way Athel Loren would be a second map, with lots of things to do for Wood Elves. Add lots of objectives outside of Athel Loren like many people already sugested and their gameplay would be fun I think.

I also would like to see Twilight Sisters as LL. With Orion obviously, and Durthu later if there's only 2 LL at release.

For World Roots, they could do a stance similar to underway/beastpath but you could only access this stance in Athel Loren and various small areas all around the world. Teleportation but only for great distances. There's also World Roots in Nagaroth as far as I know.
    This way It would be quite different from underway/beastpath but easy to implement.

Seasons could be a new mechanic for Athel Loren map only with various buffs/debuffs.

Finally, please no copy/pasted mechanics like Beastmen DLC.

I think we will get a full Athel Loren campaign map with the mini campaign. I would love to see that get transferred over to the grandcampaign in that it appears as a regular region or two then wormholes into a different campaign map with many more settlements when you attack it, because that would certainly reflect the warping nature of Athel Loren and be a really cool feature. It also seems incredibly unlikely to happen, I'm not sure how CA could implement such a feature without some serious work
    Have you played Empire(The game not the faction) Indy? It could probably work like submaps in that game
  • KrabbzKrabbz FranceRegistered Users Posts: 466
    Indypride said:

Krabbz said:

What I'm looking for the most is a separate map for Athel Loren that you could access from the GC map.
    A separate map with all 12 kingdoms (12 provinces with multiples settlements in each). This would solve the "no conquering" race issue. Add lots of BM/GS/Dwarfs/Tree Spirits army spawns to challenge the player all game long.

This way Athel Loren would be a second map, with lots of things to do for Wood Elves. Add lots of objectives outside of Athel Loren like many people already sugested and their gameplay would be fun I think.

I also would like to see Twilight Sisters as LL. With Orion obviously, and Durthu later if there's only 2 LL at release.

For World Roots, they could do a stance similar to underway/beastpath but you could only access this stance in Athel Loren and various small areas all around the world. Teleportation but only for great distances. There's also World Roots in Nagaroth as far as I know.
    This way It would be quite different from underway/beastpath but easy to implement.

Seasons could be a new mechanic for Athel Loren map only with various buffs/debuffs.

Finally, please no copy/pasted mechanics like Beastmen DLC.

I think we will get a full Athel Loren campaign map with the mini campaign. I would love to see that get transferred over to the grandcampaign in that it appears as a regular region or two then wormholes into a different campaign map with many more settlements when you attack it, because that would certainly reflect the warping nature of Athel Loren and be a really cool feature. It also seems incredibly unlikely to happen, I'm not sure how CA could implement such a feature without some serious work
    They already implemented that feature in Empire TW when you wanted to go from Europe to Americas for example.

But having it only in a mini campain would be a shame... imo, mini campains are absolute garbage and serve no purpose... I'd rather hame them focus on the GC and stop their mini campain **** but w/e...

I don't want Wood Elves to have like 2-3 regular provinces on the GC considering they SHOULD NOT be able to conquer anywhere else. I'd like CA to be "creative".

Moreover this would bring back a feature that most people liked in Empire TW, with maybe some tweaks and new mechanics with it.
  • MedievilsteveMedievilsteve Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 158
    Why should they not be able to conquer anywhere else? The lore states that they have never tried to in the past, but nothing in the lore prohibits them from doing so in the future.
  • SetrusSetrus Senior Member SwedenRegistered Users Posts: 18,767
    Krunch said:

Have you played Empire(The game not the faction) Indy? It could probably work like submaps in that game

That's my hope, but I'm not sure if it'll happen. :)

Don't worry.
    I found it odd that people think that all but one races (or at least 6-10) should share the main Campaign map, but one is the special cookie that needs its complete own map.

Empire had maps for parts either direct next to the map (India) or those far away.
    It didn't have a special passing are to get into germany, or france and such.

I do think we will see a special mini campaign, with a more detailed Athen Lorel.

• boyfightsboyfights Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 4,023
    Yeah the idea that wood elves deserve their own map when dwarfs and greenskins don't have an underworld map is ridiculous, one single race doesn't deserve its own theatre
    boyfights you are always here to confirmate every spark of originality
    or reason burns or acid bruises anyone,
    stop your gladiator love for agressions.
  • NaiethNaieth Registered Users Posts: 231
    This isn't influenced by the fact that you've repeatedly made it clear you don't like Wood Elves very much, is it?

Dwarfs and Greenskins have a giant mountain realm to conquer. For Wood Elves, their narrow area of woods really is the whole ball game. Besides that, in the lore Athel Loren is stated to be larger than it geographically should be due to an inconsistent grasp on space and time. It would be the only place in the map where it would make sense for it to be larger 'on the inside' than it appears on the outside.

It'd give other factions more interesting things to do in the region as well, and make the whole western side of the map feel more alive. I certainly hope that's something they do.
    Support a third Legendary Lord for Wood Elves
  • KrabbzKrabbz FranceRegistered Users Posts: 466
    edited September 2016
    Meh... stupid and silly answers here...

Athel Loren is way more unique than everything else currently in the game. That's the reason a second map should be made for them inside the GC. That would fit the lore pretty well.

That special map wouldn't be only accessible by Wood Elves... never said that. Anyone could enter it, with lot of attrition though. Beastmen could also have some benefits going in. Maybe they could also add some rewards for other races to go in Athel Loren.

But the main reason for a second map is because anything else would be pretty bad for Wood Elves. And it would add a lot of diversity in the GC.
    1) The actual Athel Loren is too small... Like 2-3 provinces for a race that should not be able to conquer anywhere else is too few.
    2) Horde Wood Elves is beyond ****.
    3) Wood Elves being able to conquer humans/vampires settlements is also ****.

Maybe CA have another idea to how the Wood Elves should be implemented but I doubt it.

Why should they not be able to conquer anywhere else? The lore states that they have never tried to in the past, but nothing in the lore prohibits them from doing so in the future.

They never tried because they don't want to go outside of Athel Loren. End.
    The only Elves who go outside always come back after a while.
    The purpose of Wood Elves is to protect their forest. They have no interest in conquering cities and stuff.
  • boyfightsboyfights Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 4,023
    Naieth said:

This isn't influenced by the fact that you've repeatedly made it clear you don't like Wood Elves very much, is it?

Dwarfs and Greenskins have a giant mountain realm to conquer. For Wood Elves, their narrow area of woods really is the whole ball game. Besides that, in the lore Athel Loren is stated to be larger than it geographically should be due to an inconsistent grasp on space and time. It would be the only place in the map where it would make sense for it to be larger 'on the inside' than it appears on the outside.

It'd give other factions more interesting things to do in the region as well, and make the whole western side of the map feel more alive. I certainly hope that's something they do.

i actually dislike all of the elves equally B) just in terms of lore though, i think all of the warhammer elves are boring and just generic fantasy trash. i am actually looking forward to having another guerrilla-style faction to play with

i think the idea of athel loren being divided up into different elf kingdoms or whatever that the player has to fight and conquer is ridiculous too, the idea of wood elves fighting other wood elves sounds really weird and nothing else lives in the forest for them to take territory from. athel loren being its own map would mean nothing but wood elves vs wood elves for the first ~30-40 turns at least until the player manages

the western side of the map is going to feel a lot more alive once the second game is released, and have a lot more interesting things going on than wood elves shooting at each other
    boyfights you are always here to confirmate every spark of originality
    or reason burns or acid bruises anyone,
    stop your gladiator love for agressions.
    Krabbz said:

Athel Loren is way more unique than everything else currently in the game. That's the reason a second map should be made for them inside the GC. That would fit the lore pretty well.

So you actually ARE this arrogant and think that the WE/AL are/is so special next to everyone else.
    More Special than Empire/Bretonnia/World Egde Mountains/badlands,/Slynania/Norsca or what is to come.

That attitude is beyond arrogance.

That special map wouldn't be only accessible by Wood Elves... never said that. Anyone could enter it, with lot of attrition though. Beastmen could also have some benefits going in. Maybe they could also add some rewards for other races to go in Athel Loren.

You can have attrition or lack of it without the nonsense of a 2nd map.

But the main reason for a second map is because anything else would be pretty bad for Wood Elves. And it would add a lot of diversity in the GC.
    1) The actual Athel Loren is too small... Like 2-3 provinces for a race that should not be able to conquer anywhere else is too few.

With other words:
    Instead of the 2 sensible solutions you want a very special cookie for one race.
    That beyond entitled.

Did it ever occur to you that AL is so small on the map because it isn't that huge on the Warhammer wolrd and maybe not so special important you think?

SiWi said:

Krabbz said:

So you actually ARE this arrogant and think that the WE/AL are/is so special next to everyone else.
    More Special than Empire/Bretonnia/World Egde Mountains/badlands,/Slynania/Norsca or what is to come.

That attitude is beyond arrogance.

You can have attrition or lack of it without the nonsense of a 2nd map.

With other words:
    Instead of the 2 sensible solutions you want a very special cookie for one race.
    That beyond entitled.

Did it ever occur to you that AL is so small on the map because it isn't that huge on the Warhammer world and maybe not so special important you think?

Well that escalated quickly. Relax boys. I'm all for any feature that completely differentiates a race from the others currently in the game. Do I think a secondary campaign map for Athel Loren will make it in to the Grand Campaign? No. Will I be happy if it does? Hell yes. I'm not sure why anyone would be upset that such a feature was added, I think a lot of us would like an Underway map and distinct features like that for other races as well.
  • IzzyStradlinIzzyStradlin Senior Member Cair Andros GarrisonRegistered Users Posts: 11,459
    Oh Gods, Araloth.. :p I must take some issue there, actually. Naestra and Arahan are remarkably more important than him in the Lore, and frankly I can't work out why they're heroes in the tabletop and he's the Lord choice. Rightly, they were promoted in the End Times, and even though I think that we'll only be granted Durthu and Orion initially, I suspect their chances of appearing are far higher than Araloth's.
    "Raise them, Necromancer. Set brother against brother. Let's give our hosts something worthy of recording in their pathetic book of complaints, shall we?"
    The Queen of Mysteries, on the Book of Grudges.

Her voice was as rustling silk. "In the darkness I dreamt of you, cousin."
    "Hawk no longer. My wings are dust and bone. I crawl through time now, like an asp."
    "You took my wings, Neferata. You made me crawl. Now I return the favour. Crawl, cousin. Crawl."

Team Elize von Carstein

Warhammer Lore, by Sotek!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCH4nPsl2ctS365aEfFBwxbg

For ease of memory, if we're not talking about cavalry, everything the High Elves have is better than everything the Dark Elves have.

Izzy's More-Loreful Stats Mod

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1279441247&searchtext=
  • HeroofRome1HeroofRome1 Member Registered Users Posts: 1,620

Oh Gods, Araloth.. :p I must take some issue there, actually. Naestra and Arahan are remarkably more important than him in the Lore, and frankly I can't work out why they're heroes in the tabletop and he's the Lord choice. Rightly, they were promoted in the End Times, and even though I think that we'll only be granted Durthu and Orion initially, I suspect their chances of appearing are far higher than Araloth's.

Araloth will probably be in as he is a (relatively) new plastic model. Although I would much rather see Ariel and Orion.
    Team Rome, Team Byzantium, Team Dwarfs, Team Empire, Team Bretonnia Team Grim, Team elf slayers, Team Belegar.
  • IzzyStradlinIzzyStradlin Senior Member Cair Andros GarrisonRegistered Users Posts: 11,459
    edited September 2016

Araloth will probably be in as he is a (relatively) new plastic model. Although I would much rather see Ariel and Orion.
    I don't think that matters so much in the grand scheme of things. This isn't a game that requires people to buy miniatures, after all. I'd kill to have Ariel in as a Loremaster of Life, though. :D
    "Raise them, Necromancer. Set brother against brother. Let's give our hosts something worthy of recording in their pathetic book of complaints, shall we?"

"Hawk no longer. My wings are dust and bone. I crawl through time now, like an asp."
    "You took my wings, Neferata. You made me crawl. Now I return the favour. Crawl, cousin. Crawl."

Team Elize von Carstein

For ease of memory, if we're not talking about cavalry, everything the High Elves have is better than everything the Dark Elves have.

I don't think that matters so much in the grand scheme of things. This isn't a game that requires people to buy miniatures, after all. I'd kill to have Ariel in as a Loremaster of Life, though. :D
    Well they did took people or better say things that don't have models at all aka Kholek Suneater.

I sence Heresy..... How about that she is the Lore master of the lore of Athel Loren?
    Team Dwarfes
    Team Brettonnia
    Team Tomb Kings
    Team High Elf
    Team Averland

Leitdorf for Emperor!

I sence Heresy..... How about that she is the Lore master of the lore of Athel Loren?
    That Lore of Magic no longer exists, sir. Read your Codexes afore accusing me of heresy. :p

Team Elize von Carstein

That Lore of Magic no longer exists, sir. Read your Codexes afore accusing me of heresy. :p

Did Ariel exist in 8th?

The thing is it would have a cool factor if CA ressurected the Lore of Athel Loren. Then the wood elves would have a unique lore.
    Team Dwarfes
    Team Brettonnia
    Team Tomb Kings
    Team High Elf
    Team Averland

Leitdorf for Emperor!

Did Ariel exist in 8th?

The thing is it would have a cool factor if CA ressurected the Lore of Athel Loren. Then the wood elves would have a unique lore.

No, she was unfortunately not. End Times rubbish. :p I don't want the Wood Elves to have a unique Lore. I'm very attracted to their being able to use both High and Dark Magic. I'm told that the Lore of Athel Loren was a bit rubbish, too.

Team Elize von Carstein