I first want to say that TW: Warhammer is, in my opinion, the best Total War game that I have played. The devs have really made one amazingly fun game here and I have been thoroughly enjoying this one since it was released.
That being said, there are a few areas that I feel could use improvement. Most of these would not require a great deal of time but would make some well received change.
1) Bring back formations! Any Total War game that I have played (I've played all the original ones and a couple of the newer ones) have always had formations. It's always been a part of Total War games. I'm not sure why TW: Warhammer does not have them. It should and it would be great to see formations brought back.
2) Campaign AI improvement - although the AI, in general, does a fairly good job managing it's forces, I've seen it make very odd, and critical, mistakes that leave itself open for defeat. Here are some recent examples that I've seen:
- Three full army stacks were coming at me, staying close together, as expected. They had a good advantage against my city garrison and two stacks defending around it. They attacked my foremost army stationed outside my city, which I retreated. Then, two of the stacks left the last stack behind and went out on their own. They didn't attack the city nor destroy my forces. This allowed me to easily defeat the lone stack before then going on and taking out the other two who had gone down south a bit. If they had stayed together, they could have easily wrecked havoc but, having split, for no apparent reason, they let themselves get taken apart.
- An elite chaos army came and attacked a city which had a full stack, a WAAGH stack and the garrison at the city. It was far outmatched and had no reason to attack me there. I almost felt as if it didn't even take the WAAGH stack into consideration when attacking. The AI seems to have ignored that army. This may even be a bug?
- The dwarves left their entire back cities virtually undefended as they went on to attack another rival greenskin faction. It seems like the AI can't focus on more than one war at a time and will leave another faction, that it's at war with, completely unchecked to take many of their cities. I've seen this happen several times now.
3) More AI control options - what I mean here is two things:
- Allow the AI to take control of armies in battles. This is a big annoyance for me and I know I'm not the only one who would like this as I've seen other posts on it. It's another option that old Total War games had but Warhammer does not. I hate having to micro 40+ armies in a large battle. I have to constantly pause or play the game in slow motion. I would much prefer the option to allow the AI to control the other armies so that I can just focus on one of them.
I find having to work with AI armies to be a challenge as well and I find it much better than microing the whole army on my own.
- Give more options to direct WAAGH armies or allied armies - pretty simple here. Just have other options, like defend or follow an army, that allows the player to direct allied armies and WAAGH armies better.
4) More MP options - this is more of a future idea / DLC. I know MP players are in the minority but I think that's partly because the current MP options are simply battle options. It would be really cool to have a more advanced MP game - one where you could join a faction, create a leader, and fight with and against other players for control of territory. I'm sure something like this could be thought up by the devs and I bet many players could get into something like this.
Anyways, just my thoughts after a couple months.
I know the devs are more focused on developing new DLCs but it would be cool to see them give a little love to the base mechanics.