Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Suggestions for overall improvement

MartialDoctorMartialDoctor Registered Users Posts: 24
I first want to say that TW: Warhammer is, in my opinion, the best Total War game that I have played. The devs have really made one amazingly fun game here and I have been thoroughly enjoying this one since it was released.

That being said, there are a few areas that I feel could use improvement. Most of these would not require a great deal of time but would make some well received change.

1) Bring back formations! Any Total War game that I have played (I've played all the original ones and a couple of the newer ones) have always had formations. It's always been a part of Total War games. I'm not sure why TW: Warhammer does not have them. It should and it would be great to see formations brought back.

2) Campaign AI improvement - although the AI, in general, does a fairly good job managing it's forces, I've seen it make very odd, and critical, mistakes that leave itself open for defeat. Here are some recent examples that I've seen:

- Three full army stacks were coming at me, staying close together, as expected. They had a good advantage against my city garrison and two stacks defending around it. They attacked my foremost army stationed outside my city, which I retreated. Then, two of the stacks left the last stack behind and went out on their own. They didn't attack the city nor destroy my forces. This allowed me to easily defeat the lone stack before then going on and taking out the other two who had gone down south a bit. If they had stayed together, they could have easily wrecked havoc but, having split, for no apparent reason, they let themselves get taken apart.

- An elite chaos army came and attacked a city which had a full stack, a WAAGH stack and the garrison at the city. It was far outmatched and had no reason to attack me there. I almost felt as if it didn't even take the WAAGH stack into consideration when attacking. The AI seems to have ignored that army. This may even be a bug?

- The dwarves left their entire back cities virtually undefended as they went on to attack another rival greenskin faction. It seems like the AI can't focus on more than one war at a time and will leave another faction, that it's at war with, completely unchecked to take many of their cities. I've seen this happen several times now.

3) More AI control options - what I mean here is two things:

- Allow the AI to take control of armies in battles. This is a big annoyance for me and I know I'm not the only one who would like this as I've seen other posts on it. It's another option that old Total War games had but Warhammer does not. I hate having to micro 40+ armies in a large battle. I have to constantly pause or play the game in slow motion. I would much prefer the option to allow the AI to control the other armies so that I can just focus on one of them.
I find having to work with AI armies to be a challenge as well and I find it much better than microing the whole army on my own.

- Give more options to direct WAAGH armies or allied armies - pretty simple here. Just have other options, like defend or follow an army, that allows the player to direct allied armies and WAAGH armies better.

4) More MP options - this is more of a future idea / DLC. I know MP players are in the minority but I think that's partly because the current MP options are simply battle options. It would be really cool to have a more advanced MP game - one where you could join a faction, create a leader, and fight with and against other players for control of territory. I'm sure something like this could be thought up by the devs and I bet many players could get into something like this.

Anyways, just my thoughts after a couple months.

I know the devs are more focused on developing new DLCs but it would be cool to see them give a little love to the base mechanics.

Comments

• oleryscolerysc Registered Users Posts: 56
    Agree, AI needs further polishing for current game: Army composition, city building, diplomacy, etc.

I think the lack of formation was obviously a design decision - to simplify control and make formations the property of the unit

Besides this:

- Magic and existing LL balancing
    - Performance of the game: the game still has a lot of issues on recommended system requirements
    - Weather condition choosing like in other TW
    - Better battle map variaty: Campaign map should affect the battle map: if you are standing near river there should be river, if its chaos corruption - the battle map should change accordingly.
    - More diplomacy options: land trading, threating.
    - Flying units landing.
  • BombusVargheistusBombusVargheistus Registered Users Posts: 31
    Now that you bring the WAAGH subject :

I'd love to see this mechanic improved somehow.
    Basically, I think that the player should choose when the WAAGH spawns.

Let's say, once you get enough fightiness points, a 'Spawn Waagh button appears'.
    You can click on it whenever you want to spawn your Waagh.

Now, why would it be interesting ? Because, you could also choose your Waagh's army composition.
    So, like in custom battles, you get a certain amount of money to spend in troops. Except here, this is fightiness points.
    This way, you could spawn rather weak Waaghs right after reaching the required fightiness level, or you can win more battles to raise your fightiness level even higher and spawn stronger Waaghs.

Sorry if this has been already discussed in the past. I think this feature could bring Waaghs to a way more interesting level of entertainment.
  • Ephraim_DaltonEphraim_Dalton Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 23,895

Now that you bring the WAAGH subject :

I'd love to see this mechanic improved somehow.
    Basically, I think that the player should choose when the WAAGH spawns.

Let's say, once you get enough fightiness points, a 'Spawn Waagh button appears'.
    You can click on it whenever you want to spawn your Waagh.

Now, why would it be interesting ? Because, you could also choose your Waagh's army composition.
    So, like in custom battles, you get a certain amount of money to spend in troops. Except here, this is fightiness points.
    This way, you could spawn rather weak Waaghs right after reaching the required fightiness level, or you can win more battles to raise your fightiness level even higher and spawn stronger Waaghs.

Sorry if this has been already discussed in the past. I think this feature could bring Waaghs to a way more interesting level of entertainment.

Way too organised for Greenskins. They wouldn't feel orky if you could control all that many aspects of it. Bad idea.

• HondlisHondlis Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 523
    Well first of all... all of this was suggested like 15 times. It's not what you feel, but what most of us feel and let CA know already. But don't agree we need formations at all. You said you would love to add option for AI to control your second army, becouse you can't handle the micro, and still you want add much more micro intensity with formations. I can see formations being added if pace of battle goes down to half of current speed. Right now, with 3 min epic "battles" it would be just super depressing click fest. And about AI controlling your reinforcements? We don't really need that, do we? As you said, you have an option to slow it down, or even pause. So use it, right? Not saying it would hurt, having that option, but call it an improvement?

Way too organised for Greenskins. They wouldn't feel orky if you could control all that many aspects of it. Bad idea.

Well, it is maybe not that lore friendly but could add some depth to the mechanic anyway. I'm all for more complextiy and tactic choices, yaay !
    Frankly, I don't even bother with my Waaghs in late game campaigns, while they are still entirely made of goblins and have to face Steam Tanks or loads of Aspiring Champions.
  • thedudeguythedudeguy Registered Users Posts: 287

Frankly, I don't even bother with my Waaghs in late game campaigns, while they are still entirely made of goblins and have to face Steam Tanks or loads of Aspiring Champions.

I take it you haven't played Greenskins since the most recent round of DLC/FLC?

My Waaghs in my current Wuzzrag run all have a giant, arachnarok and doom diver in them to go along with other units. Tons of diversity now.

To your other idea, I generally agree that more options are better and I'm willing to see the lore trampled for a better game but there is something to be said for maintaining the 'feel' of a faction and choosing when a waaagh spawns seems to undermine the feel of greenskins which is why it's hard to get behind your idea.
    Indeed, haven't started a new campaign since the King and the Warlord release. Still finishing mine with Grimgor. Well, I'm glad if some Waagh improvement has been done since.
    I see your point about the feel of a faction.
    TBH, if we get weak waaghs early game and stronger ones late game, I am more than happy.