Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

WHAT DO WE THINK THE WOOD ELVES SHOULD BRING TO THIS GAME?

Comments

• ChaosDragonBornChaosDragonBorn Registered Users Posts: 1,487

I have a feeling fighting against Wood Elves in MP is going to make people hate life due to the high probability of many of the units having stalk, good speed and ranged capabilities.

And hopefully they'll have something like parthian shot, where they can shoot while running around. It would add a new gimmick to multiplayer that could be useful and effective (and very fun in campaign). And yes, that will **** people off, losing to someone's skill at playing wood elves.
    Boindil said:

the first thing they showed us about wood elves was a door in a three.....a freaking door!!!...they just cant be hoard...^^

You joke, but no one is talking about a door and certainly no one is talking about that image.
    edited November 2016

After reading what has been putting on this thread, I am in agreement with most of you,

DEFINITELY not a horde! Also not like the other factions, maybe something in-between like a single tree settlement in the middle of a province they have taken from the humans and vamps, They shouldn't settle dwarf holds. DEFINITELY forest corruption (which is lore friendly, in a way, as Athel Loren did cover the whole world at one point). I like the idea of the WE's taking back the world for the forest, like an anti chaos. That's kind of what attracted me to them on TT. Also lets hope there not as OP as they are on the TT otherwise it won't be as much of a challenge.

Please not a horde! Anyone got any other ideas of how they should play???

People have stated they like the idea of the wood elves being self sustainable around the map outside of Athel Loren. The wood elves are a hidden race more so than the beastmen, so they should not be marching around like the empire. There default stance should be hidden, and the elves should be able to go anywhere without the need of a settlement. And since they don't conquer anything they could go around fighting whatever undetected.

Maybe even effecting provinces in a way chaos and vampire corruption do, making the province more green and forested combating any other form of corruption.

• hendo’hendo’ Registered Users Posts: 2,833
    Fun fact: the word "horde" actually scars more people then being faced off with a real life chaos spawn.

I understand people's distaste for (<horde) and it does become a concern for campaign balance and difficulty (their blog of difficulty will become more important as more races come).

I like the idea of another type of corruption,but still ... I think their armies are going to have some type of horde mechanic or a combination of the two. They settle woods-and spread that way?

(Settling woods would be cool but I think if this mechanic would of been implemented it would have came with beastmen)
  • petertel123petertel123 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,017
    I dont care, as long as they make the wood elves unique (not like the beastmen who are basically a mix of chaos and greenskins mechanics).
    Oh and for the love of god no more hordes.
    Team Bretonnia
    Team Dark Elves
    edited November 2016

I dont care, as long as they make the wood elves unique (not like the beastmen who are basically a mix of chaos and greenskins mechanics).

hendo1592 said:

(Settling woods would be cool but I think if this mechanic would of been implemented it would have came with beastmen)

horde or no horde, they can't occupy anywhere, and they are going to raze everything like a horde. I hope they can settle in the forest though, as an alternative to conquering the cities.

Anyway,
    I guess people agree on seasons and wild hunt mechanics being introduced. So that's good.
    And CA please don't shy away from making the ranged units really powerful like they should be.

• PetromirPetromir Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,156
    Even if they are restricted to settlements in AL or similar (not something I think is much greater than 50% chance, they did used to live in many of the cities now lived in by humans after all) then they can still function perfectly well as standard armies with global recruitment, likely based on stance (possibly terrain to).

They don't fit hordes really at all, they are fiercely territorial and live in permanent settlements.

Here are a few musings (though many may be difficult to balance, and by no means are all suited to work with others).

The wild hunt could act like an allied crusade, it sucks up local units as it passes through (potentially spilling into follower armies), will follow war targets provided if relations are good, dangerous to armies in the field if the wild hunt relations drop.

In addition to mild attrition the forest spawns small armies in response to trespassing, if a forest anger meter is kept in certain limits (iff to low the armies don't spawn, if too high they are dangerous to WE armies, if in the top band, they will attempt to sack/raze WE cities.

Recruitment of Forest spirits (so dryads/treemen) also linked to something like a meter and if relations are bad enough they become unavailable, possibly even eventually attrition to your forest spirit units in armies or greater.

Armies having a move with ambush stance seems likely and possible a hidden paths ability (one closer to beastpaths than underground of course). Some sort of encampment (hidden if in forests) that allows global recruitment?

A Call the Scouts ability, allowing scouts (and other troops) to be recruited in a more raise the dead like situation, though geography rather than battles based.

Campaign objectives are tricker. Elimiantion of Beastmen seems like a big one (though not perhaps a hard one, though actively pursing would bring risks). holding all of AE, with likely Corruption limits. The elimination of the local Greenskins and Dwarves seems like a likely one. Perhaps ensuring that a Bretonian Faction/subfaction is still extant at the end of the game. (Oh and the standard WoC and Archeon nonsense). Perhaps the ensuring that certain other forest areas lack corruption above a certain level.
  • EldrickEldrick Registered Users Posts: 621
    Other than Athol Loren, there are plenty of other impassible forest areas currently in game. I cant help but think these have been saved for WE in some way.
  • Sky_sweeperSky_sweeper Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,740
    edited November 2016

hendo1592 said:

horde or no horde, they can't occupy anywhere, and they are going to raze everything like a horde. I hope they can settle in the forest though, as an alternative to conquering the cities.

Anyway,
    I guess people agree on seasons and wild hunt mechanics being introduced. So that's good.
    And CA please don't shy away from making the ranged units really powerful like they should be.

Not with mods they won't ;) thank dresden for no RO mod!
    A brave man marches into danger and ignores his fear. A courageous man marches into danger while embracing his fear.

CPU: AMD 3700
    GPU: Nvidia 2080 Super
    RAM: 32GB DDR3 3200

Veteran of the Total War franchise since Shogun: Total war. (I was 10)
    edited November 2016
    Eldrick said:

Other than Athol Loren, there are plenty of other impassible forest areas currently in game. I cant help but think these have been saved for WE in some way.

You may be on to something... :smiley:

Eldrick said:

Could be, could be, but what?

The long rumored though often ridiculed world tree teleport?

Somewhere for some sort of global recruitment or even raise dead like recruitment?

A Forest RO shared with dratted forest Goblin sub factions (with Lizardmen to follow)?

Just places for roving WE armiess to hide to patch their wounds while getting epic combat bonuses if attacked?
    edited November 2016
    Petromir said:

Eldrick said:

Could be, could be, but what?

The long rumored though often ridiculed world tree teleport?

Somewhere for some sort of global recruitment or even raise dead like recruitment?

A Forest RO shared with dratted forest Goblin sub factions (with Lizardmen to follow)?

Just places for roving WE armiess to hide to patch their wounds while getting epic combat bonuses if attacked?
    Indeed, the wood elves could very well go in those forest and and fight whatever is in there.
    Wood Elves should be able to take over the existing forests, make more forests, and make the forests much bigger.
    I can't wait to see what they did. :sweat:

• PrayPray Registered Users Posts: 1,511
    edited November 2016
    If wood elves horde how it play style ? loot burn raze ? it not make sense.

Wood elves main life is protecting Athel Loren and if "protecting" it's meaning protect your settlement, if you are horde how you protect them, only walk around empty Athel Loren maps ? so Meh.
    pray said:

If wood elves horde how it play style ? loot burn raze ? it not make sense.

Wood elves main life is protecting Athel Loren and if "protecting" it's meaning protect your settlement, if you are horde how you protect them, only walk around empty Athel Loren maps ? so Meh.

I don't want the elves to be confined to Athel loren. The wood elves are free to claim other forest. How are you going to wage a war sitting around in your forest? The wild hunt even has little to do with athel loren itself, and more about vengeance and punishment.
  • boyfightsboyfights Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 4,023
    hmmm seems like wood elves should probably be a horde, sorry to all the posters with broken brains who hate fun B)
    boyfights you are always here to confirmate every spark of originality
    or reason burns or acid bruises anyone,
    stop your gladiator love for agressions.
  • ZalgoZalgo Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 244
    Seldkam said:

And then we start monstrous cav spam like boar boy big unz or demigryphs or even empire knights and all the light elves get knocked over and their spears / defence against large does nothing ...

I really don't think they're gonna be good unless CA pays careful attention to them

And Wood elves also have monstrous cavalry in the form of Wild Riders and Sisters of the Thorn.
  • MrMecHMrMecH Registered Users Posts: 2,389
    - New unique mechanic for wild hunt and season change
    - Full units roster at the release day
    - New opponent Beastmen LL and units not like todbringer case from last race pack
    - Bretonia complete roster and can playable on GC
    - Upgraded Beastmen AI on GC for more threaten
    SHUT UP GIVE US GHORGON!!!!!

• SeldkamSeldkam Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 4,455
    Zalgo said:

Seldkam said:

And then we start monstrous cav spam like boar boy big unz or demigryphs or even empire knights and all the light elves get knocked over and their spears / defence against large does nothing ...

I really don't think they're gonna be good unless CA pays careful attention to them

And Wood elves also have monstrous cavalry in the form of Wild Riders and Sisters of the Thorn.
    Which should be very strong units I'd hope, though then again... if there's no anti large bringing them may still be a bad idea? Or boar boy big uns come to mind
    The inferior races of this world will be crushed one by one, as our armies move from shore to shore, and hill to hill, and city to city-- and each of their cries will be as music to our ears, for we are the Druchii.
  • SaphironSaphiron Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 827
    I hope they're fun to play against, I don't want to have them always on the outside of my influence ring, running away whenever an army gets close, and constantly running on the battlefield and making me chase them all over the maps.

Chasing in TWW is straight up painful, catching an enemy army can take 10 turns.
    Saphiron said:

I hope they're fun to play against, I don't want to have them always on the outside of my influence ring, running away whenever an army gets close, and constantly running on the battlefield and making me chase them all over the maps.

Chasing in TWW is straight up painful, catching an enemy army can take 10 turns.

I'd say for myself I was talking about speed in battles, in campaign I'd be surprised if they get large bonuses to speed tho
    The inferior races of this world will be crushed one by one, as our armies move from shore to shore, and hill to hill, and city to city-- and each of their cries will be as music to our ears, for we are the Druchii.
  • Wargol2Wargol2 Registered Users Posts: 100
    Saphiron said:

Never happened to me since i learned how to use the ambush stance. And i'm not even a good player :*
  • oleryscolerysc Registered Users Posts: 56
    Eldrick said:

I think it's most elegant solution to expanding problem, start in Athol Loren then settle other impassible forests in the map and the after you settle you can teleport to this anclave quickly. Mountains are also to some extent impassible for 'plain' nations.
  • GRAY_HATGRAY_HAT Senior Member UKRegistered Users Posts: 5,394
    Seldkam said:

Zalgo said:

Seldkam said:

Which should be very strong units I'd hope, though then again... if there's no anti large bringing them may still be a bad idea? Or boar boy big uns come to mind
    Eternal guard wild riders, hawk riders and glade riders all have "spears" which so far have been converted to anti large.

Team Wood Elves

boyfights loves wood elves.

"Heaven forbid that under the Vail of military training we should subject our young men to the lust of our general" - Hanno to the Carthaginian senate on the future of Hannibal.

"Guard mode is back in Warhammer :)" - Darren_CA

"It's amazing how many mistakes your enemy will make in haste after seeing that he's outgunned" -The Organ King
    grayhat said:

Seldkam said:

Zalgo said:

Seldkam said:

Eternal guard wild riders, hawk riders and glade riders all have "spears" which so far have been converted to anti large.

Right... but wood elf spears are also good anti infantry, especially when wood elves don't even have dedicated swords infantry
    Seldkam said:

grayhat said:

Seldkam said:

Zalgo said:

Seldkam said:

Right... but wood elf spears are also good anti infantry, especially when wood elves don't even have dedicated swords infantry
    Depends what you mean by dedicated swords infantry.

That role largely taken by dryads, but don't forget Wardancers, who are infantry with twice the normal swords..
  • SahlorSahlor Registered Users Posts: 1
    I believe Wood Elves should have a mini map, inside the map.
    When going into Athel Loren, you add a smaller version of a campaign map, with smaller unit sizes. In there Wood Elves will have the upper hand, but also randomly hordes of beast men and green skins will spawn, so the player will constantly struggle with keeping the woods safe. Inside you can have seasons, so when winter hits inside the forest, you become even more paranoid since all your spirits become dormant and you have to protect your avatars. This makes the Wood elves a very inward facing army to play, which would fit their character. This map inside a map mechanic may sound difficult, but let's not forget that the Skaven will require an entire new map, dedicated to the underground, if they will ever be playable.

Also, enemy forces should have extreme bonuses from raiding the forest. So most enemy armies won't try to conquer your provinces, but keep cutting mystical wood as a dwarf, or defiling it as a beast men. You will have to hunt them down and keep them out. Have Wood Elves spread forest corruption, so you can turn the entire world into a forest if you would like, basically having the forest expand. Make the forest corruption anti-evil corruption though, which means that your corruption deletes evil corruption before you can spread your own. This would allow the Wood Elves to have a pact with "good" nations in order to fight the bad guys, without provoking war with their allies, unless they choose to stay and turn the world green. There is much potential here, and I can't wait for the pointy eared hippies :D

also the one who talked about having all forests be provinces for other wood elf factions and forest goblins, hats off to you Sir, that would be awesome!
  • GRAY_HATGRAY_HAT Senior Member UKRegistered Users Posts: 5,394
    Seldkam said:

grayhat said:

Seldkam said:

Zalgo said:

Seldkam said:

I'd class dryads and most bow units as anti infantry, in fact let's go through the roster:

Dryads the way ward and MD in TW they should be a tar pit with a sting, very effective against tier 1-3 units (upto chaos warriors and long beards) and then dropping off dramatically in terms of damage against tier 4-5. I'm not sure if they will have a "rooted" ability to allow them to soak up cavalry charges but they should be able to deny access to archers.
    To kill them simple shoot HP is normal ish and no shield and no longer in open order(Thanks Matt ward!) the'll go down quick.
    Over all they are a flanking unit that specializes in melee, hide them in woods to the side of the main army for maximum effect.

Eternal Guard ok spear men with an option for a shield version, the ASF mechanic doesn't matter as much in TW but the stubborn matters more, they are going to last in terms of moral as long as dwarfs but with much less armour and higher killing out. Like Dryads tiers 1-3 melee should be fine with the exception of high MD and high attack speed units and able to do lots of damage.
    The weakness is going to be long fights, stick two cheep units against one with a moral buffing spell and you've just taken out a much more expensive unit.

Glade Guard the glassiest of the glass cannons, they will be ok for a little while against goblin spears in melee but a cav or melee unit will be needed to support them. If the enemy fails to get them into melee though they'll be able to take down most unsheild units at ease, with options for magic arrowed variants and a fast speed heavy melee, even high tier, should be wary of them in the open.

Glade Riders I'm guessing the spear and bow will be two different units so one will be high damage on charge and the other ok damage with missiles. I'm not sure how ambush deploy will be converted but they should still be able to sneak behind most enemy lines and appear on top of poorly defended archers and artillery. Will lose to other melee cav and should have less HP than other skirmisher cav but can make up for that with speed.

Deep Wood Scouts glade guard++, hard to see harder to hit other wise much the same. AI isn't going to like these but a seasoned player should not have anymore issue in dispatching them.

Sisters of the ThornIf they come with Shield of Thorns and Curse of Anraheir and play as javelin support unit they could be quite nasty in support of Eternal guard or dryads. Suddenly the outlasting option is gone and you need to try and shock shock units, they aren't too bad in combat either so I suspect a low model count per unit.
    These are the equivalent to coaches to some extent and maybe should be expanded further down that path.

Treekin the trolls of the wood elf army with mostly the same stats, they are going to hit a little less but won't run away as much. Not sure if you can do variants without going back to 63 and forest spirits.

Wardancer Troupe fancy a dance? These guy's are the start of the elven **** section of units, I guess linked cool down dance option(pretty effects?) will be in play to prevent stacking. Bring them in at the flank of an engaged unit decide between AP + magic dmg, attack speed + ward save or huge moral debuff + MD debuff. Small in number and low in armour they won't do well against archers but should be able to wreck an entire engaged line one by one before you eternal guard or dryads break.
    All it should take is one missile unit or cav charge and they're dead so pairing them up is key, watching as an entire line crumbles while your opponents missile and cav are being microed against you faster cav will be a MP joy.

Warhawk Riders why **** on the ground when you can **** from the sky, the only thing to worry about is protected missile and pegasus knights. Mirco with these is going to be key with high impact AP charges or missile fire coming in from all angles is going to infuriate the ill prepared.

Wild Riders of Kurnous While not chaos knights or demigryphs their charge should make the upgrade orc big'unboar boys jealous, get them out after 5 seconds and repeat to watch chosen melt, leave them in to watch them strangely not die that much, the best armour (about the same as lvl 1dwarf) some ward and good attack without the charge bonus mean they don't have to leave against basic trash units, even those with spears, you will however want to avoid being charged as that tends to make them lose frenzy and suddenly the lack of armour on any WE unit shows through.

Wildwood Rangers I'm really not sure what Matt ward was going for here, undead/chaos hunters? if you combine eternal guard and great swords, you get these guys. Able to toe to toe with empire great swords, probable going to get anti large and huge bonuses against fear/terror units(including spells on TT).
    My first thought is "finally an anti-squig unit", they'll be doing ok then the squigs go wild and they're dead due to now causing fear.
    They should also be a mincing machine for zombies and other undead tar pits.

Great Eagle It's a big flying creature over shadowed by all the other flying monsters and even it's own warhawks, makes a good mount though.

Treeman more staying power than a giant and that's about it, use the same play the same and hope they don't have fire.

Waywatchers legolas the unit, ignore all armour which I guess is 100% AP and open order, high firing speed and accuracy, stealth and fast enough top out pace heavy infantry.
    If you cav can't get to them or you miss them on the way past you could be a lord/hero/monster down before you can engage them.

I see late game Waywatchers, Wildwood Rangers, Warhawk Riders make the bulk with Treeman, Wardancer, Sisters of the Thorn as support. Beastmen are going to have the best time if they are smart, I think VC will struggle unless it's a custom built army against a balanced army.
    Team Wood Elves

boyfights loves wood elves.

"Heaven forbid that under the Vail of military training we should subject our young men to the lust of our general" - Hanno to the Carthaginian senate on the future of Hannibal.

"Guard mode is back in Warhammer :)" - Darren_CA

"It's amazing how many mistakes your enemy will make in haste after seeing that he's outgunned" -The Organ King
  • GaussiaGaussia Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,260
    I just hope the WE DLC continues the trend of DLC quality. The first 2 were kinda meeh, G&G were good and K&W were even better. Lets hope that the WE DLC have the scale of the beastmen DLC but the quality of K&W. If that's the case it will be really goo.

I also hope that the succeed to give the Wood Elfs a somewhat unique playstyle on the battlefield. While they made the Beastmen quite unique in the campaign they play pretty much as any other faction in field battles. I hope they do better with the Wood Elfs.
    Petromir said:

Seldkam said:

grayhat said:

Seldkam said:

Zalgo said:

Seldkam said:

That role largely taken by dryads, but don't forget Wardancers, who are infantry with twice the normal swords..
    What I mean is that Wood Elf spears are very effective against most targets not just cavalry, so it would be... rather annoying to make Dryads (which are not exactly cheap, nor durable despite 4 toughness) the only way of dealing with infantry spam for instance.
    Seldkam said:

Petromir said:

Seldkam said:

grayhat said:

Seldkam said:

Zalgo said:

Seldkam said:

What I mean is that Wood Elf spears are very effective against most targets not just cavalry, so it would be... rather annoying to make Dryads (which are not exactly cheap, nor durable despite 4 toughness) the only way of dealing with infantry spam for instance.
    Why do they need to deal with infantry spam in a normal way?