Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Wargaming Alliance to publish Total War: ARENA

CA_ChristosCA_Christos Junior MemberPosts: 254Registered Users
edited November 2016 in General Discussion
Wargaming, SEGA and Creative Assembly are moving forward today in a new partnership that sees Total War: ARENA published worldwide as the first ever title released by Wargaming's new publishing label, Wargaming Alliance. Wargaming Alliance is dedicated to providing third-party publishers and developers the tools, resources and platform to enter the highly competitive free-to-play gaming market along with access to Wargaming’s substantial subscriber base of over 100 million gamers.

Total War, one of the key pillars of the SEGA business, is one of the most successful and influential strategy franchises of all time, mixing massive battles with deep tactical and strategic elements. Total War: ARENA, developed by Creative Assembly, brings those franchise tenets into the world of free-to-play gaming by blending the series’ trademark strategic experiences with intense 10-vs-10 player battles. Creative Assembly’s expertise, combined with Wargaming’s proven track-record in the free-to-play market, makes Total War: ARENA the perfect fit for Wargaming Alliance.

To answer some of your questions:

Why is ARENA being published by Wargaming and not SEGA?
We are very proud of ARENA and the unique multiplayer battle experience it offers. The Closed testing last year confirmed the significant potential ARENA has. The publishing deal with Wargaming opens the game up to a huge, brand new community and is a strong fit with the game.

Is Creative Assembly separating from SEGA? With this deal and the Microsoft Halo Wars Two deal, how does this affect the relationship between CA and SEGA?
It doesn’t affect the relationship at all. Both SEGA and Creative Assembly identified a commercially beneficial deal with the best interests of Total War: ARENA at heart. The fact that CA’s console team is working on Halo Wars Two as well, just underlines their agility and talent when it comes to developing games across a range of platforms and disciplines.

Will other Total War or SEGA games also be published by Wargaming now?
This deal is for publishing ARENA only.

Are the same developers working on the game now?
Yes it’s the same development team, but it’s grown to allow us to meet the objectives for the game.

How has the game changed?
While the core mechanics remain the same, following user tests and working closely with Wargaming the game’s balance, user interface and more have been redesigned and rebuilt to provide players with a better experience. In the time to come, we’ll be providing insight on the various changes we’ve made.

Is ARENA still free to play?
Yes, the game is still free to play.

Will ARENA be coming to other platforms?
Currently the focus is on PC only.

Why will my progress be lost? You said when the Closed Beta ended there were no plans to reset progress.
Recent development work has included significant changes to the game including the balancing, progression and hosting platform. All of this means it was not possible to keep game progression. However because the game’s progression system now feels different to what it was before, it’s unlikely that players will feel like they’re having to cover old ground.

Will ARENA be available on Steam?
No, the game will be available via the Wargaming Game Center platform. It is a new platform which will include all Wargaming products with single entry

Will my old ARENA/SEGA account still work? Will I have to create a new account?
Your old game account will no longer work. You will need to create a Wargaming Game Center account to be able to play ARENA. Sign up here: www.TotalWarArena.com

Will my Wargaming account work for ARENA?
Yes, if you used to play any of Wargaming Trilogy games: World of Tanks, World of Warships or World of Warplanes, you will be able to use the same account to play ARENA. Please take in consideration that during Alpha and Closed Beta stages special activation key will be required in order to access the game. We will be providing more information on how to get one later on.

I am a Rome II owner and was promised early access and in-game items. When will I get that?
We are still working on the timings for this, anyone who owns ROME II or is part of the Vanguard group will receive a special reward, more on this at a later date.

Why do I have to sign a new NDA?
To play in the Closed test phases you will need to sign a Wargaming NDA as part of the sign up process. The SEGA NDA will no longer be valid.

When will Closed Beta start?
That depends on the progress of the early alpha tests. We will let you know as soon as we have a confirmed date. You can submit your email for latest news and Closed Beta information now at TotalWarArena.com.

How can I join Closed Beta?

When will Open Beta start?
The game will be in Alpha stage and later on in Closed Beta to allow for testing and balancing and will move to Open Beta once we have completed that process.

Which countries will the game be available in?
Europe, CIS, US, Asia but not China.

Why not China? Will there be a Chinese version?
Yes, there is a dedicated, localised Chinese version of Total War: ARENA being worked on as well, though it is not part of our partnership with Wargaming. We will bring you more information soon.

Where can I keep up to date with news and updates on the game? Will the TWA sub forums remain open?
The ARENA subforums will not remain open.

To stay informed with game news go to:
www.TotalWarArena.com
https://www.facebook.com/TotalWarArena
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - Hunter S. Thompson

Post edited by CA_Christos on

Comments

• LierLier Posts: 2Registered Users
    gooooooooooooooooooood
  • MigsaMigsa Posts: 13Registered Users
    edited November 2016
    Very nice though in quite disappointed wasting over 1000h for grind. Gonna be really disappointed if the grind is even close that grind.

I will try hold my tantrum until I see this new impressive grinding system which is totally not the same thing. But yeah hype went very fast from 100 to 0.
    Post edited by Migsa on
  • ViridisViridis Posts: 63Registered Users
    @Migsa same. At the least they could've offered a transition period for the accounts.
  • SUNTZU_CureSUNTZU_Cure Junior Member Posts: 16Registered Users, Smiley
    nice to see news ;)
  • SUNTZU_MistrzuSUNTZU_Mistrzu Posts: 137Registered Users, Smiley
    Does it mean I will have to remake my memecenter again? :/ Damn it.
  • ImissTWAsomuchDamnitImissTWAsomuchDamnit Posts: 10Registered Users
    Why will my progress be lost? You said when the Closed Beta ended there were no plans to reset progress.
    Recent development work has included significant changes to the game including the balancing, progression and hosting platform. All of this means it was not possible to keep game progression. However because the game’s progression system now feels different to what it was before, it’s unlikely that players will feel like they’re having to cover old ground.

Goodbye :/
  • nigelli64nigelli64 Posts: 1Registered Users
    So will Hong Kong be counted as part of China or within the whole Asia grouping??
  • ConstantWarfareConstantWarfare Posts: 2Registered Users
    edited November 2016
    1. Will Arena maintain it's universal servers? Or will it have the WG style region locks?

2. Will Arena actually be a member of the unified account system? If so, which one?

Unified account. Unified economics. Unified gaming universe. Wargaming.net offers a unique world of epic online battles and ultimate struggle for global supremacy.

World of Warships has been out for over a year, and has yet to be 'unified'. Will Arena be on it's own 3rd 'unified account' system?

3. Will any of the WG monetization systems be used in Arena? IE Premium 'ammo' or weapons of some sort, $13 to change your account nickname, etc?

4. What about the money spent on the two Humble Bundles? Will the skins/units/gold be somehow carried over?
    Post edited by ConstantWarfare on
  • o0nly1o0nly1 Posts: 5Registered Users
    So everything starts from point zero. Well I guess we gonna be expecting a completely different product since WG is a p2play company. Either way we should not expect a release of the game for many months. Goodbye until then.

-IDE-

• Calbee2000Calbee2000 Posts: 1Registered Users
    Will the players joining the Total War Arena closed beta test last year,receive any special rewards or anythings to compensate for the progress lost ?
  • TRICKST3RTRICKST3R Posts: 42Registered Users
    edited November 2016
    F2p & p2w are two different sides of the spectrum & I hope the collaboration can get it right. In all sincerity best of luck! PAY TO WIN GAMES FLOP. That is a guarantee even though there is a better profit during a minimal interval. Take Dota 2 and League of Legends f2p systems as an example. They have been around for awhile now. The only reason why I stated the other two as f2p examples is because they are by far the most successful of f2p options at the moment. My previous experiences with WG are listed as the following. It is a play to win gaming enterprise. This would be the reason why I don't play any of their games. I question the amount of current active players versus the reachable player amount. The numbers seem low even with the audience bigger. I have downloaded a couple of WG games tried them and uninstalled them for reasons listed above. The announcement of TWA from 2013 might still become a reality in 2017.
    Post edited by TRICKST3R on
  • PandorPandor Member Posts: 80Registered Users
    NO no no no no GOD pLEASE no PLEASE NO dont give sucha a good game to wargame omg they will ruin it by pay2win system...
  • ThePrussianPrinceThePrussianPrince Senior Member Posts: 299Registered Users
    edited November 2016
    I'm very happy to hear some news about Arena. Losing progress and not having the game on Steam is a negative, in my opinion, but the potential for the cooperation between CA and Wargaming is huge.

If Wargaming offers their expertise in free to play games, Arena could be much more polished. But as others said, what I'm afraid of is a region lock. I'm also afraid of a huge grindfest, as it generally takes longer to get to tier 10 in World of Tanks than in Arena, in my opinion. Granted, World of Tanks grinding was better because in that case the next tier tank was always better than the previous one, whereas it's not the same thing in Arena. But if that's fixed, it might work out fine.
  • BaasFaalHaasBaasFaalHaas Posts: 3Registered Users
    But dogbert **** promised me i'd keep my shizzle i grinded hours for? I do keep my skins right like the humbe bundle shield etc
  • pjer88srbpjer88srb Junior Member SerbiaPosts: 35Registered Users, Smiley
    Why is it p2w system? Coz you have to invest some money in order to play on highest level? Or you have to invest to buy some gold for premium units and consumables? I've spent 20€ in wot for premium accounts and played 13k battles, it is really cheap for time spent in game. But I expect to spend a bit more on Arena, as I'm not student any more...
    Progress reset is a bad news for us that played this game a lot (2k battles, 2tierX), but it is a good decision for fresh start of a game.
  • ViridisViridis Posts: 63Registered Users
    Even though a reset of progress will bring about all sorts of balancing issues or lack of players on higher tiers because everyone has to start from scratch again. Suddenly, the amount of interest I have in this game dropped from frequent inquiries on the forum to absolute meh.
  • TRICKST3RTRICKST3R Posts: 42Registered Users
    edited November 2016
    Be careful how much you allow the p2w system abuse your wallet or you will end up paying ($)250 for a game that should've cost ($)50 - 60 and have been released two years prior!
  • CrocodileTearsCrocodileTears Junior Member Posts: 70Registered Users
    edited November 2016
    As someone who's played World of tanks for 4-5 years this could both be a blessing and a curse. Wargaming has a horrible record with price gouging and over pricing everything. To what I'm sure will make zigza happy is that their premium units tend to be worth a damn but required if you plan on having the credits for playing top tier.

The good thing is the wargaming is dedicated to balance, constant updates, has a huge financial backing, and is one of the most serious companies when it comes to military History. Their game doesn't represent it, but they're always either funding tank restorations, helping with air shows, working with museums etc. I'm not sure if they'll be completely out of their element dealing with the classical age, but we'll see.

Regardless WoT is one of the worlds most successful F2Ps by far and some of that credit is owed to Wargaming. Thanks for the news CA

Edit: Also pretty **** we keep changing forums.

• TheSpiroTheSpiro UkrainePosts: 10Registered Users
    anyway we will see our game soon.
    Good news.
    Cheers
  • SacredBandWilliam/KaszankSacredBandWilliam/Kaszank Junior Member Posts: 9Registered Users
    What about the clan wars? I would like to know your opinion about it.

And we look forward to start :)
    SacredBand clan site http://www.sacredband.fora.pl/

Sorry for my English
  • |-IRONS-| Samuel|-IRONS-| Samuel Senior Member Posts: 211Registered Users
    OOOOOOOOOOOOOO Very Very Very good news!
    |-IRONS-| Samuel
  • m__c__mm__c__m Member Posts: 43Registered Users
    Although this is great news since the return of the game is almost certain and I have no issues with Wargaming, hell I am enjoying Warships for the past few months, the fact that the progress is lost is a massive bummer for hardcore alpha and beta players, and there are not a lot of us. A shame, I understand serious structural changes, but if the will is there, some sort of compensation can be put into place.
  • jonasneejonasnee Senior Member Posts: 1,737Registered Users

1. Will Arena maintain it's universal servers? Or will it have the WG style region locks?

2. Will Arena actually be a member of the unified account system? If so, which one?

Unified account. Unified economics. Unified gaming universe. Wargaming.net offers a unique world of epic online battles and ultimate struggle for global supremacy.

World of Warships has been out for over a year, and has yet to be 'unified'. Will Arena be on it's own 3rd 'unified account' system?

3. Will any of the WG monetization systems be used in Arena? IE Premium 'ammo' or weapons of some sort, $13 to change your account nickname, etc?

4. What about the money spent on the two Humble Bundles? Will the skins/units/gold be somehow carried over?

if WOWS is anything to go by then the system will probably be at least a bit split from WoT while still working on the same account, premium time is likely to carry over, and i doubt we'll get any premium ammo that wasn't present in the first alpha, aka things like a small amount of armor pierce that is equipped like a consumable.
    put your actions where your mouth is.
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=TJpmII-kxuM
    Total war is best when it is kept simple and not overly complex
  • RighteousRighteous Posts: 11Registered Users
    edited November 2016
    i guess another circle of close beta will await us soon)) imho all testers will have opportunity to make gr8 progress and will have some advantages at release joiners)))) but only concern about wargamming guys all have(( hope premium account users will not have domination advantages at free account players, otherwise all battle strategy will be vanished at loading screen, where premium player nick at loading screen will be shown. Hope our comments will be read and some conclusion by manager staff will be made. And soooon we will see perfect ancient battlefields with bunch of GI meat w8in for being commanded and die for glory of generals)
  • XeirXeir Senior Member PolandPosts: 47Registered Users, Smiley
    o make gr8 progress and will have some advantages at release joiners)

No one sayed there won't be another wipe

Xeir said:

yep /agree))) it was my humble opinion) they had broken promises about old accounts ;) and all ppl remember this) I hope it will be point to satisfy new wave of beta testers and awaiting arena crowd)) anyway its just my thoughts
  • Skynet2018Skynet2018 Posts: 8Registered Users
  • ConstantWarfareConstantWarfare Posts: 2Registered Users
    edited November 2016
    Xeir said:

Actually....

Sept 9, 2015

Game developer via Steam says...

"All your current game progress is here to stay, forever."

https://steamcommunity.com/app/227520/discussions/0/517141624281295984/

Feb 25, 2016

And once more in this YouTube video from the developers, posted to the Arena channel @2m33s

March 6, 2016

And again from the official Total War Arena :: End Of Closed Beta Test – FAQ

"Q: Will all my progression be lost?

A: We have no plans to reset progression."

https://support.sega.co.uk/hc/en-us/articles/207447339-Total-War-Arena-End-of-Closed-Beta-Test-FAQ
  • ThrowbackThrowback Junior Member Posts: 6Registered Users
    Any news is better than no news. My body is ready!
    edited November 2016
    actually migrating from Steam to WG is a problem to save progress its matter of accounts connection, and actually old Steam account data could not be linked to WG account. The main **** is case where same email account at Steam and WG can be used by different people or probability where WG account not exist with same email for same user, it will cause partial accounts wipe, for sure its not so good for user experience. So good point to start from 0 at new platform and give some advantages for players who will be involved in new beta testing with saving "fast" progress) eg. 500% experience drop...so it will be not a big deal for old Arena players imho