Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

No more Total war?

PolatucosPolatucos Posts: 3Registered Users
edited November 2016 in Total War General Chat
Hello

i have something on my mind that is killing me inside..will they ever do another medieval game..because they said we are not doing 3 of anything..for me that is confusing,will they stop at one point and never do total war just because a total war reached trilogy?? for example rome will never be done again because the last one was rome 2,medieval same,shogun and therefore.. So at one point they will never do more games,that is stupid.. i hope i made myself clear enough so people understand what im trying to say.

PS:regarding the news about the next total war game,i hope they would make Pike and shot total war(dynasty wars,exploration,war of the roses,reformation..)it would a great compromise betwen empire and medieval.

Comments

• SiWISiWI Senior Member Posts: 5,657Registered Users
    That "we won't make 3's" was base on what in the near future they would do.

Unless TW dies for another reasons, they will come back to medieval.
  • PolatucosPolatucos Posts: 3Registered Users
    SiWi said:

That "we won't make 3's" was base on what in the near future they would do.

Unless TW dies for another reasons, they will come back to medieval.

i really hope you are right!
  • Tyer032392Tyer032392 Senior Member FloridaPosts: 4,672Registered Users
    edited December 2016
    Polatucos said:

Hello

i have something on my mind that is killing me inside..will they ever do another medieval game..because they said we are not doing 3 of anything..for me that is confusing,will they stop at one point and never do total war just because a total war reached trilogy?? for example rome will never be done again because the last one was rome 2,medieval same,shogun and therefore.. So at one point they will never do more games,that is stupid.. i hope i made myself clear enough so people understand what im trying to say.

PS:regarding the news about the next total war game,i hope they would make Pike and shot total war(dynasty wars,exploration,war of the roses,reformation..)it would a great compromise betwen empire and medieval.

What CA meant by not doing anything with a "three" in it was basically them saying there will be no game trilogy like Shogun/Rome/Medievak 1, 2, and 3; however, this was said back in 2012 or 2013 IIRC and CA could have very well changed their mind on that; especially considering that there is a lot of pushing from the community about a Medieval 3.
    "All it takes for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing. "
  • tak22tak22 Senior Member Posts: 2,008Registered Users
    They never said they would *never* do a #3, they said (several years ago) that it would not be anytime soon.

Personally, I'm hoping for a renaissance game, but I fully expect something like M3 to come out in due time, if for no other reason than that M2 is so dreadfully out of date. It *could* in fact be an M3, since a good bit of time has passed since they said that; IMO the 'Medieval' games are too long a time period to go well in one game so there's likely to be multiple shorter games. (CA has said that 200-300 turns is about ideal play length, MTW and M2 both ran 400-500 years, and fitting that all together is a bit awkward - M2 had 1.5-2 year turns IIRC, but then to have adequate lives for your characters they lived 120 years and other nonsense).
  • CommisarCommisar Senior Member Posts: 844Registered Users
    They've also said the next Historical Total War will be a new era they haven't covered. So it wont be the thrid game of that name.
  • Half_Life_ExpertHalf_Life_Expert Senior Member Oak Park, CA , USAPosts: 4,644Registered Users
    edited December 2016
    I think a return to Medieval Europe is inevitable as long as CA and the Total War series is alive.

But I am very happy that the next title will be something totally new, and I am not that excited for a return to Medieval Europe personally. I will buy it without question, but it is just the era that interests me the least, and my worst TW experience was with Medieval II, relatively speaking.

For the next game I would be happy with Victorian or Pike and Shot.
    "we have officially entered into pre-whinning about our games."- Cogre

I will always respect differing opinions on here, so long as they are presented maturely and in a civil manner

"No Battleplan ever survives contact with the enemy"- Helmuth Von Moltke the Elder

The WWI Thread: https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/30914/why-a-world-war-i-themed-total-war/p1

I'm skipping TW: Warhammer
  • PolatucosPolatucos Posts: 3Registered Users
    edited December 2016

I think a return to Medieval Europe is inevitable as long as CA and the Total War series is alive.

But I am very happy that the next title will be something totally new, and I am not that excited for a return to Medieval Europe personally. I will buy it without question, but it is just the era that interests me the least, and my worst TW experience was with Medieval II, relatively speaking.

well,medieval was the first total war game i played,after that was M2 and i loved it.
    its my favorite era of all,the second is ancient/Rome.
    Yes a compromise between medieval and empire would be Pike and shot,and i think it would be amazing..
    But there is a lot of rumour the next total war will be in China.
    I really dont have any interest in that part of history,but its history nonetheless.
    I think there is little interest outside of china for that game...Huge part of total war fans are either europeans or US.

Also i think they are not very interested or prioritizing the development of the next historical total war game just because they are having huge sucess with warhammer wich is very sad..
    they dont make trilogys of anything....apart for Warhammer :'(
  • MachacasaurioMachacasaurio Posts: 161Registered Users
    there is a healthy reason to limit the number of games to 2

what alll other companies do?

they stick to what worked,

at the moment they break the "no third one" rule well have 8 out of 10 total wars being, rome 5 shogun 3,medieval 7

just like any company they have a fair share of dumb evilness, we must assume.

but at least on this,that was a great move,ballsy and "idealistic"?
  • LestaTLestaT Senior Member Posts: 1,359Registered Users
    The rule have changed. Total Wars are not only Shogun, Medieval, Rome and Empires but will be much more.

Been playing since Shogun 1, I would rather see a new historical Total War xxx 1 rather than rehash Total War xxx 3.

Afterall, I have sacked and razed Constantinople so many times, whether I'm Caesar, or Attila, or Edward III, or Napoleon etc.

Let me raze and sack new cities for once. Xinjiang maybe? :)
    My Rig - CPU:Intel CORE i3-2100 @ 3.1 ghz MOBO: Foxconn H-67M RAM: 2x2GB CORSAIR PC1333 GPU: XFX HD5770 1GB GDDR5 PSU: FSP SAGA II 500w CASE: Gigabyte Chassis HDD: 1x Samsung F3 HD103SJ 1TB ODD: Samsung SH-S223L DVD/RW OS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit MONITOR: Samsung E2020X (LED) 1600x900
  • FrontlinerDeltaFrontlinerDelta Senior Member Posts: 2,902Registered Users

Agree completely. I will pretty much buy just about every Total War but I'd much prefer a Victorian age TW be the next one.
  • Ohio9Ohio9 Posts: 181Registered Users
    I'd rather see a Shogun III then any other real world setting. It's no coincidence that Shogun was the first Total War game. 16th century Japan really is the best setting for the engine and this type of game.

I like the Medieval games as well, but they are hindered in that the vast majority of the content in them takes place before the age of gunpowder weapons. I think it's the gunpowder weapons that really make the TW games interesting.
  • NG12345NG12345 Member Posts: 150Registered Users
    edited January 23
    The next Total War is gonna be Empire II total war. Where they started in 1700s to 1920. WW1 will serve as The End Times / Realm Divide.
    We will have Rise of napoleon and American civil war as expansion packs or as a triggered event like Marian Reform.
  • CommisarCommisar Senior Member Posts: 844Registered Users
    NG12345 said:

The next Total War is gonna be Empire II total war. Where they started in 1700s to 1920. WW1 will serve as The End Times / Realm Divide.
    We will have Rise of napoleon and American civil war as expansion packs or as a triggered event like Marian Reform.

No, it wont. The difference in techs would make that range impossible. Then there's CA saying the next game is a time period they haven't covered, they have covered 1700-1820s.