Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Realm of the Wood Elves - Tips and Tricks from the Devs [SPOILERS]

CA_ChristosCA_Christos Junior MemberRegistered Users Posts: 254
edited January 2017 in General Discussion
Hi there! As we move into the weekend and you gear up for an epic campaign to defend the forests, the team behind Realm of the Wood Elves decided to offer their advice. THE BELOW CONTAINS SPOILERS, AS NOTED IN THE TITLE. PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Here you go:

Battle Hints & Tips
  • Morhgur has strong resistance to missile and magic based damage, but is fairly susceptible to physical – particularly fire – based damage.
  • The Wood Elves have a variety of magic missile and melee based units, caution should be used when employing them against Dwarfs as their inherent 25% magic resistance will make killing them that much harder.
  • Elves are deadly but many of their units lack the staying power of other races, to compensate for this Treekin and Treemen can form a formidable bulwark from which your archers can fire over.
  • When facing the Wood Elves, beware of fire based attacks, they will cause crushing damage to many of your forest spirit creatures – especially if you bring a fire wizard with kindleflame (+12% additional fire weakness)
  • Sisters of the Thorn can slow a single unit by 48% if they target them with their poisoned javelins and their bound Curse of Anraheir spell, this can be used to contain the enemies most powerful units.
  • Hawkriders are a unit of opportunity, they can shoot units that can’t shoot back, and charge units that aren’t good in melee
  • While wood elves have great firepower, they are also very vulnerable to firepower themselves. Thus it is of a great priority to focus on killing enemy ranged infantry and artillery first.
  • Treekin are by far your best choice for holding a line, but avoid using them against armour-piercing heavy infantry. Against those you are often better off using elven melee infantry or ranged fire.
  • Lore of Life is superb when used to heal Treemen and Treekin as they seldom lose entities, have big health pools and mitigate most of the damage dealt to them.
  • A few units of Glade Riders can work wonders in distracting and dividing AI armies, allowing you to more time and opportunity to defeat the enemy piecemeal.
Campaign Hints & Tips
  • Isha the Mother and Anath Raema Technologies are early in the tech tree for a reason . First one practically allows you to ignore the growth gating and the second one will allow you to fight those wandering beastmen with just your garrisons.
  • Quest battles grant 3 amber upon completing them. That’s 9 amber that no-one can ever take away from you, so maybe for the Wood Elves it’s a good idea to finish the quests ;).
  • Think different! If your starting neighbours are too hard to deal with in the grand campaign remember: Wood Elves can set up outposts anywhere. Take your army and start roaming the Badlands or venture up north and occupy Norsca minor settlements ( or settlements of any weak minor faction for that matter). Worse thing that can happen is the A.I taking these settlements back, far away A.Is of Norsca and Greenskins will almost never directly retaliate in Athel Loren. It’s a radically different way of expanding compared to every other race , but always keep in mind playing as Wood Elves, you don’t have to necessary limit yourselves to neighbouring regions.
  • Don’t get too attached to your outposts. If you lose one you don’t always have to backtrack to reclaim it, moving forward is always a viable option! It’s better to have 20 semi-secure outposts that 5 secured ones, because those faction-wide bonuses form outpost buildings tend to stack fast!
  • Tilea and Estalia are always good starting targets for grand campaign.
  • If you are short on money consider that one very good source of income is razing. Nerthu technology gives a +30% increase in razing income and Herald of the Hunt council position gives an extra 100% to the general who holds it! It’s a viable strategy to appoint on general Herald of the Hunt and have him roam the edges of the world razing faraway or risky settlements that you would never be able to hold with outposts. If you want to go a bit crazy get Hukon the Sunderer tech as well which will allow you to crash province capitals fast. And capitals give plenty of income.
  • There are 9 secret special outposts in the world at the capitals of Erengard, Marienburg, Altdorf, Black Crag, Castle Drakenhof, Couronne, Miragliano, Kislev and Karaz a Karak. Occupying them will allow you to build a hidden outpost which grants +10% factionwide income bonus each and has dragons as garrison! This means that conquering all of them will yield +90% factionwide income bonus and 18 amber which will be pretty secure ( I did mention they have dragons as garrison right?). Go out there and explore!
  • Asrai Lookout buffs stack over the course of the campaign. So overtime having a collection of one type of lookout building can provide some very effective boosts in buffing the Wood Elves.
  • Wood Elves don’t need to go to war with everyone to obtain Amber. Forming military alliances will grant you Amber from all the region your partner owns.
  • Make use of Grape Vines in conjunction with Vinter’s Barrel Houses to boost your income in neighbouring regions.
  • Not all Wood Elves are your friends so expect them to cause civil wars from time to time.
  • Branchwraith’s act as marshals of the forest. Use them to help with Public Order problems by deploying them in Athel Loren.
  • Keeping an amber reserve is a good idea, don’t run at 0 amber, instead try to stay at 5 or more so that if you lose an alliance or a few regions you don’t go negative.
  • In both the mini-campaign and the grand campaign Beastmen tend to take notice each time you upgrade the Oak of Ages, bare that in mind and prepare defences accordingly.
  • The Beastmen in the mini-campaign are a tricky foe, it’s probably a good idea to keep an army within a few regions range of the Oak of Ages at the very least, even a single Beastmen army that might sneak through your lines can spell disaster.
  • In the mini-campaign Beastmen will often begin their assault on Athel Loren from outside the forest, use the few narrow entrances to the forest to your advantage to more easily keep track of your foe.
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - Hunter S. Thompson

Post edited by CA_Christos on

Comments

• LaindeshLaindesh Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 4,254
  • lenimozlenimoz Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 5
    Thank you! This gave me a lot of new ideas to try out!

And especially those outpost management ones seemed interesting too.
  • ladymissfitladymissfit Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,909

Wood Elves don’t need to go to war with everyone to obtain Amber. Forming military alliances will grant you Amber from all the region your partner owns.
    that'd be great if it was possible!
    Chaos lords should be women

Army painter plox
  • TydarTydar Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 49
    This is great and all but you could also just buff their units so supposedly ancient elf master bowmen don't lose to goblin archers.

I mean you made their unit sizes smaller but you didn't buff their stats to compensate.
  • LaindeshLaindesh Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 4,254
    Uniblue said:

This is great and all but you could also just buff their units so supposedly ancient elf master bowmen don't lose to goblin archers.

I mean you made their unit sizes smaller but you didn't buff their stats to compensate.

Reminds me how rhey did ashigaru vs samurai in shogun 2. Gotta play the we when im back home to get a feel for them though
  • KhorneFlakesKhorneFlakes Registered Users Posts: 3,765
    morghur well yeah hes actually tanky and better in melee compared to waystalker hero/casters,tanky hp but ok still the enemy will surround him with melee units so any damage is negated by regen hes absurd tbh for just 2000cost...and can spawn 4 chaos spawn so yeah take it as you wish but hes op imo

• TayvarTayvar Registered Users Posts: 12,429

Wood Elves don’t need to go to war with everyone to obtain Amber. Forming military alliances will grant you Amber from all the region your partner owns.
    that'd be great if it was possible!
    And if it was possible to get Amber from an much more trusty Non-AI Ally.
  • urbanmechurbanmech Registered Users Posts: 1,239
    edited December 2016
    Oh hey it's DA BOSS. Could we possibly get Amber from human player allies on coop too so we can role play the Elves getting the filthy Humies to do their work? Otherwise it ends up with the Wood Elf player faction having to colonize or control more lands through AI factions who might even attack the other human player.

I'd like to facilitate my Empire friend to help get my Amber with my armies, not compete with him for land. It makes sense for Argwylon since they need it for themselves but what does the Empire or Dwarfs do with Amber anyway?
  • SeldkamSeldkam Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 4,455
    "Wood elves have good firepower"

They have one good ranged unit. Lol.
    The inferior races of this world will be crushed one by one, as our armies move from shore to shore, and hill to hill, and city to city-- and each of their cries will be as music to our ears, for we are the Druchii.
  • Nitros14Nitros14 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,076
    Uniblue said:

I don't think Waywatchers are designed to be used in missile duels. Glade guard with hagbane tips seem pretty good at that.

I'm finding Deepwood Scouts with swiftshiver shards to be really effective against beastmen infantry, since they can outrun them and fire backwards while skirmishing with a pretty ridiculous missile damage.
  • thebiglezthebiglez Registered Users Posts: 688
    i love that you made them that much harder and different to play. i understand at start you had to make the game easier for new players, so a harder much more complex faction as a DLC is prefect. good job to whoever thought of that!
  • GRAY_HATGRAY_HAT Senior Member UKRegistered Users Posts: 5,394
    This is against dwarfs but the general idea persists throughout my camapign

1) deply right on top of your enemy with your 360 archers, wild riders are pling in as anti-cav/dog until melee is in range:

2) from the off pull back out of range of their missile troops (you don't want to trade one for one with dwarf armour), don't go straight back with all the archers try and spread the enemy out. Move cav (if free) around the side, they are their to turn and harase the enemy at this stage so don't go in even against missile troops/artilary at this point

3) Once the melee has been pulled out quick in out attacks from the cav and start to pull the infantry right round, resist for as long as possible to engadge in melee

4) Jump on the Lord with melee or archers, who will be at least tired and watch as the army melts. (for VC you need to keep kiting for a bit

Team Wood Elves

boyfights loves wood elves.

"Heaven forbid that under the Vail of military training we should subject our young men to the lust of our general" - Hanno to the Carthaginian senate on the future of Hannibal.

"Guard mode is back in Warhammer :)" - Darren_CA

"It's amazing how many mistakes your enemy will make in haste after seeing that he's outgunned" -The Organ King
  • TayvarTayvar Registered Users Posts: 12,429

Oh hey it's DA BOSS. Could we possibly get Amber from human player allies on coop too so we can role play the Elves getting the filthy Humies to do their work? Otherwise it ends up with the Wood Elf player faction having to colonize or control more lands through AI factions who might even attack the other human player.

If you think of it, the Wood Elves are right now the worse allies in coop games, because of the fact that they can't get Amber from their human allies.
  • SnikitSnikit Registered Users Posts: 233
    I can't help but get the feeling you didn't play your campaigns before writing those tips. Of course I know you did but still some of them are so irrelevant it's astounding.

What I'll say now is concerning the wood elves only.

- Morghur is too strong for the WE. You say fire dmg is good against him, sure! BUT the only source of fire dmg in the WE roster are starfire archers and Morghur just so happen to have 75% missile resistance. Also the arrows are magical so I don't know what effect have the combined 75% magical and missile res against those. Then you can tell me that at least the fire part should negate his regen, wich is nice. So I tried in custom battle (hard) to have a glade lord kitted for physical dmg (only elven unit capable of decent non-magical dmg) go against Morghur with a supporting regiment of starfire archer. Guess what, Morghur still WON! And I removed his ability to get chaos spawns in the battle so it would be somewhat possible to defeat him. On the other hand a single Empire general kills Morghur just fine (again without spawn)...

TL:DR Morghur is broken against WE or, more likely, the glade lords are too weak.

-As for the campaign tips, who the **** would send his only real army deal with some northern tribes at who knows many turns of march from his capital to get 1 or 2 amber that will get lost instantly when you'll have to run back at home because your AI neighbours are incapable to stop the beastmens from ruining the oak of ages? The only situation I can imagine a WE player being able to do that is when he already have pretty much beaten the campaign. Because the investment needed to go this far early game are just too much to be any kind of realistic.

-Yep I said his only real army because if someone is forced to go to norsca to get amber it would mean that he cannot deal with what's next to him and would probably have only the founds to get one full stack and maaaaybe another half stack... Ridiculous tip

-Using the grape vines... If only it was possible to get a hold of the neighbours before turn 100-ish... So yeeeah!

-"Not all Wood Elves are your friends so expect them to cause civil wars from time to time."

You mean half of them are your mortal ennemy and WILL declare war on you turn 5-10? At the same time the first beastmen arrive? Seriously? I know that wood elves relations are complicated but this is ridiculous. And happened all the time I tried new campaign.

-"Wood Elves don’t need to go to war with everyone to obtain Amber. Forming military alliances will grant you Amber from all the region your partner owns."

True but really unwieldy and slow.

-"even a single Beastmen army that might sneak through your lines can spell disaster."

By your lines you mean the one stack you are painfully trying to keep afloat? ridiculous again.

You really need to stop putting your head underground and look at that mini-campaign. It IS ill balanced and feel very RNG dependent (what AI decides to do or not to do). I've had no pleasure whatsoever so far in this campaign. It plays too slow you lose to easily, the difficulty spikes so hard it dwarfs Mount Everest. I felt very restrained in how I could play the campaign since the early difficulty is so high there is no many course of action that are viable. I didn't felt like playing a game I felt like being played by the game.

I understand and approve the need for higher difficulty campaign but this isn't the good kind of difficulty. It's unpleasant and painful to play.

Amber mechanic is fine but needs rebalancing for the units for the simple reason it uselessly limits the roster too much since NOONE will spend any Amber for that until mid to late game.

Grand campaign so far seem fine and hard. The better kind of hard.
    My Rig - CPU:I: Overclocked potato RAM: 2xBanana power X-26 GPU: Moulder-issued horde of calculator slaves

Team Skaven Team Me-Myself
  • HarconnHarconn Registered Users Posts: 943
    Rage must be prretty high if Devs make a tipps and tricks list for wood elves.
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________________

My German Youtube-Channel - Let's Plays (Strategy, RPG, Indie,...): https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChwblqvwr8XxKP0GzCcUb8Q
  • ShiroAmakusa75ShiroAmakusa75 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 34,001
    Ah, the taste of salty tears. A treat after all the whining that BM were too easy.
  • TheGuardianOfMetalTheGuardianOfMetal Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 14,693

Ah, the taste of salty tears. A treat after all the whining that BM were too easy.

interesting... i thought hte same... the whole time "i'm steamrolling after round XY, the ai is no opponent, Chaos invasion is a breeze" and now "Wood elfs too difficult etc."
    #RIP BORIS! KILLED BY CA AND GW WITH SHORTSIGHTED CRUELTY JUST TO SHOVE KOSTALTYN DOWN OUR THROATS!

The Empire still hasn't gotten their FLC LL. We need Marius Leitdorf of Averland!

Where is Boris Todbringer? Have you seen him? For a Middenland DLC with Boris and the Ar-Ulric!

Every wrong is recorded. Every slight against us, page after page, ETCHED IN BLOOD!

Queek could smell their hatred, ratcheted to a degree that even he could not evoke in their simple hearts. He stepped over the old orange-fur’s body, eager to see for himself what it was they saw. But he heard it first.
    'Waaaaaaaggh! Gorfang!'
  • KrilralKrilral Member Registered Users Posts: 910
    I don't get all the rage. I'm about 150-ish turns into the mini-campaign on VH right now, and I'm doing just fine. There's never really been a point where I felt seriously threatened or even challenged for that matter. I've had some close calls in specific battles, but I've always recovered, and I don't find diplomacy to be an issue at all. On the contrary, everyone wants to be my friend and I basically have my pick of alliances with whoever I want. There has been a few times, where my allies have declared war on each other, but that's just a case of siding with whoever is largest and mopping up the dissenter. I will concede that a few units don't really seem all that useful, but I definitely prefer that to DLC power creep. There will always be some balancing to do right after release, and you knew this when you bought the DLC. Just remain calm for a couple of days until CA can see what's what, or maybe people will learn how to play the new faction. It definitely seems like a "high-skill" faction, in that you need to know a bunch of tricks to really make the most of them.
  • HealMeDudeHealMeDude Registered Users Posts: 161
    It's kind of sad that CA has had to go this far to spell out how to play WE for the complainers on the forums who are unwilling to experiment/adapt a little bit.
  • TheGuardianOfMetalTheGuardianOfMetal Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 14,693
    Vicas said:

It's kind of sad that CA has had to go this far to spell out how to play WE for the complainers on the forums who are unwilling to experiment/adapt a little bit.

i wonder how many of them complained before that the game was too easy and the Chaos invasion not a danger.... and about "Normal units" not having a place in armies later on because elite spam is the way to go
    #RIP BORIS! KILLED BY CA AND GW WITH SHORTSIGHTED CRUELTY JUST TO SHOVE KOSTALTYN DOWN OUR THROATS!

The Empire still hasn't gotten their FLC LL. We need Marius Leitdorf of Averland!

Where is Boris Todbringer? Have you seen him? For a Middenland DLC with Boris and the Ar-Ulric!

Every wrong is recorded. Every slight against us, page after page, ETCHED IN BLOOD!

Queek could smell their hatred, ratcheted to a degree that even he could not evoke in their simple hearts. He stepped over the old orange-fur’s body, eager to see for himself what it was they saw. But he heard it first.
    'Waaaaaaaggh! Gorfang!'
  • diabolos099diabolos099 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 63
    i really dont get all the hate towards the wood elves. imho they are kinda unique and are different to play in battles and on the campaign map but as soon as you realize how to use them you gonna enjoy it.

i just finished my minicampaign in 145 turns on very hard. it was fun and engaging but getting a bit repetitive and boring in the end (as many Total War campaigns do due to OP stat stacking and big income) but the last battle vs. Morghur was just fantastic and a great ending for this campaign. it was very, very close and really fun.

i managed to get between 150-320 (!) kills with my wardancers and i was cycle-charging my 50hp spellsinger on a unicorn to give the battle an edge :D

CA in my oppinion this DLC is way better than the beastmen and/or other DLC. i was hooked on the campaign the whole day and i didnt have so much fun in warhammer for a while.
    edited December 2016
    Uniblue said:

besides waywatchers arent the best way to deal with goblin archers just because its not efficient wasting their ammo on them: can you please post me a video or some prove this actually happened?

i tested waywatchers, glade guard and deepwood scouts against goblin/orc/bretonnian archers in a 1on1 and they won every engagement.

if you are relying on experiences you made in chaotic battles where 2-3 goblin archers focus one WE archer unit then your positioning/usage of the unit is just wrong. there is no way goblin archers beat WE archers in a balanced engagement and i was always able to keep the upper hand in skirmishes unless facing a WE enemy army with 10-12 archers.
  • ShiroAmakusa75ShiroAmakusa75 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 34,001
    If you use Waywatchers as frontline skirmishers you're using them wrong, period. They have vanguard, Parthian Shot and stalk for a reason.
    edited December 2016

If you use Waywatchers as frontline skirmishers you're using them wrong, period. They have vanguard, Parthian Shot and stalk for a reason.

correct ;) normally i use them to snipe enemy treekin/treeman/minotaurs and such. sometimes against heavy armoured targets (bestigors f.e.) after moving them around the enemy line unseen but very rarely against basic enemy archers ( charging glade riders, wild riders and flying units are the prefered option for that) and even if you do: they win a balanced 1on1 engagement.
  • BoindilBoindil Registered Users Posts: 459
    Really dont get the hate...my glade guard are doing fine, same for hte deepwood scouts and waywatchers....I have difficulty to use their cav, cause its really squishy, but the rest is fine...and all the hate on ethernal guard lol with a few skill points and techs they have like 50 meele defence?^^ I am alright with 50 meele defence...

havent tried morghur yet, but Durthu is definitly a beast in the campaign...he was getting 330 kills in my last battle and I just confederated him ;)
  • MerciiMercii Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 944
    Awesome info Christos gives me some good ideas. I've done quite a few restarts but haven't really managed to get out of Athel Loren yet.

Definitely going to try some razing/horded gameplay but my problem seems to be income-per-turn.

I can get cash reserves up from loot but I can't seem to get enough income to get second stack without going into negative per turn, unless I invade one of the Other WElf factions with my first stack.

Other factions get nega-traits if they level up whilst losing money. Not sure if Wood Elves do, I might try running at a deficit when I settle down for a proper go at it tonight.

Love the "hidden outposts" idea. I hadn't found one of those yet.

Will try shooting for Miragliano next game.

Just to add to that point about defensive agents - Branchwraiths can be deployed for public order, AND they can assault enemy armies before they hit your garrison, also if you leave two agents at home I think you can actually block surface bound armies pathing - although they can still underway.

Best is 1 assassin waystalker + 1 Branchwraith. The Waystalker can take out the lord if high level or slow the army to give you more time to prepare.
    MercytheMad on Youtube
  • bennymclbennymcl Senior Member Montreal, CanadaRegistered Users Posts: 2,797
    I just ended up killing morhgur with 19 forest dragons =D good times.
  • TheR1ddl3RTheR1ddl3R Registered Users Posts: 20
    i wish you would have posted this at preorder release
  • Commissar_GCommissar_G Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 14,970
    Snikit said:

You really need to stop putting your head underground and look at that mini-campaign. It IS ill balanced and feel very RNG dependent (what AI decides to do or not to do). I've had no pleasure whatsoever so far in this campaign. It plays too slow you lose to easily, the difficulty spikes so hard it dwarfs Mount Everest. I felt very restrained in how I could play the campaign since the early difficulty is so high there is no many course of action that are viable. I didn't felt like playing a game I felt like being played by the game.

I understand and approve the need for higher difficulty campaign but this isn't the good kind of difficulty. It's unpleasant and painful to play.

Amber mechanic is fine but needs rebalancing for the units for the simple reason it uselessly limits the roster too much since NOONE will spend any Amber for that until mid to late game.

Grand campaign so far seem fine and hard. The better kind of hard.

Couldn't agree more. I haven't had less fun playing TW:W than right now.

I might shelve this one until a patch or I find a mod that adds enjoyment somewhere.
    81jt2dj75iky.png

• Sky_sweeperSky_sweeper Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,740
    Why doesn't confederating with the other LL remove the amber penalty for his unit types?
    A brave man marches into danger and ignores his fear. A courageous man marches into danger while embracing his fear.

CPU: AMD 3700
    GPU: Nvidia 2080 Super
    RAM: 32GB DDR3 3200

Veteran of the Total War franchise since Shogun: Total war. (I was 10)