Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

They nailed it (Wood Elves)

KordarusKordarus Registered Users Posts: 12
I have to say that I was sceptical at first with CA taking that challenge called the Wood elves. This faction is so unique that I wasn't sure how it could fit the Total War engine properly.

Wood elves are in TT a high-cost army that can't field as many units as other faction but have a good arsenal of elite units with specific roles that can be extremely efficient if used properly in battle and now with a few tweak and buff, mainly to the archers, they will be a real threat in the hand of the right player.

*Basic infantry feel just right. They can hold their ground against most light armoured units but may have some trouble while facing Heavy armoured units, but the faction has the tools to deal with them anyway.

*A good roster of monstrous units to help hold the line and cause fear.

*Awesome missiles units that can be customised to deal with differents situations.

*Master of ambush and can deal a massive amount of damage against a group unprepared and rout them in no time.

*Skill trees of the Lords are diversified enough to make 2 Lords feel completely differents with differents roles. Since it's harder to field 20 stack army, I prefer to field 3-4 army of 7-8 units that work together. Having a specific army with a specific role make the wood elves feel even more "elite" as they should be.

*Their weakness is their numbers. They always are outnumbered, but as long as they manage to not get surrounded, they will do just fine. This is why this faction requires a lot of micro compared to some others.

On the campaign, they can expand, but it feels like they also nailed the "isolationist" trait of the wood elves. They can slowly build a great economy with very few settlements. and steamrolling every faction to occupy them don't really help the wood elves since they will need more armies to defend a bigger territory that doesn't get them as much resource as they would need to.

Outpost is working as it should in my opinion. The main purpose of an outpost is to have a temporary base of operation in foreign territory and it work as intended.

I find it easier to invest more in few settlements that will be enough to maintain a few stack in the late game. Enough to be able to defend the forest and have the resources to field an expeditionary force that can help allies in need. This is exactly how I pictured the wood elf faction and I have to say that CA nailed this one.

Comments

• SephirexSephirex Right outside your windowRegistered Users Posts: 1,028
    I was one of those nervous about the "conquer anywhere" option and staying true to lore and feel of the Elves. But they really pulled it off. You really can't hold any territory easily and you're always nervous about straying too far away from the woods.
  • ArbitraryDwarfArbitraryDwarf Registered Users Posts: 215
    Agree about the units, the campaign however is a bag of ****. There is nothing lore appropriate about amber or the mechanic.
  • LaindeshLaindesh Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 4,738
    Welfs are fun, i like their units. Glad they balanced some of them (though i guess they think the eagles and hawks are fine. I already thought the forest dragon was awesome tho).

Several approaches you can take too.

The campaign, well im 70-30 about it, mostly happy that is. I dont like amber as it currently is and im not 100% on the functions of the outpost. But other than that its fine. Love having athel loren as the main hub.

Tech wise they could use a minor corruption tech. and the bottom tree could use more interesting choices. But thats pretty much it :3
  • KordarusKordarus Registered Users Posts: 12
    Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of the amber mechanic, but it seems like they tweaked it too earlier today and made it less hard top recover from the early stage of having a negative amber count. I did not try a campaign since the new update but tested some of the units they buffed and it seems to be good enough to keep their unique style.

As for the tech tree, I,m not a huge fan of most tech tree in general, so I won't really complain here since I was expecting to be that way.

But on the overall feeling of the faction, I'm quite impressed with that new faction. Glad we can slaughter some pointy ears, after all, it was a missing feature that was much needed.
  • TheShiroOfDaltonTheShiroOfDalton Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 34,001

Agree about the units, the campaign however is a bag of ****. There is nothing lore appropriate about amber or the mechanic.

Know what's not lore-appropriate about the campaign? It not ending with Archaon blowing the world up.
  • ValeliValeli Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,120

Know what's not lore-appropriate about the campaign? It not ending with Archaon blowing the world up.

Disagree. Him being 'ead butted by grimgor and running off is 100% fluff-fitting.
  • SaurianDruid#4682SaurianDruid#4682 Registered Users Posts: 1,723
    Still not a fan of the amber mechanic. I don't like being punished so hard from things out of my control like two allies declaring war on each other or an enemy popping up on the far end of my territory and razing all my outposts.

That being said I do very much enjoy the units. I love having a mix of elven archers firing a small rainbow of colored shots across the battlefield, and I love the fact they can fire on the move. I also really enjoy the Deepwood Scouts for their ability to keep firing while I'm moving them around. It's a very versatile ability I feel isn't getting enough credit.

And of course Durthu is fantastic. I really, really hope his Lamentation spell never gets nerfed, because it's such a treat to blast a hole in the enemy line and come crashing in with a swing of Durthu's massive blade. Right now he's my favorite lord. Have not tried Orion yet.

The forest dragons are gorgeous. Possibly my favorite units in the game. They do seem to take damage a wee too fast, but a branchwraith, spellsinger, or treeman ancient can compensate for that with the lore of life which so far easily rivals Lore of Beasts for my favorite lore in the game, and the wood elves get both! Durthu+Branchwraith gives you all three elven lores of magic for one unit with most of their best spells. Very versatile duo.
  • KrabbzKrabbz FranceRegistered Users Posts: 591
    Finished a campain with Orion yesterday.

I've never ever fought once in Athel Loren in the entire campain unless the last quest battle.
    That's a good thing for the "defenders of the forest".

Well done CA, feels very immersive to conquer and raze everything as Chaos Wood Elves.
  • SquallsySquallsy Registered Users Posts: 176
    and what mode did you complete the campaign on, very hard or legendary?
  • bronhomsbronhoms Registered Users Posts: 1,332
    Krabbz said:

I've never ever fought once in Athel Loren in the entire campain unless the last quest battle.

Well done CA, feels very immersive to conquer and raze everything as Chaos Wood Elves.

I could rarely get out of Athel Loren due to the constant rebellions, Beastmen and Brettonian attacks. Tilea even tried to invade once.

• TheShiroOfDaltonTheShiroOfDalton Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 34,001
    Krabbz said:

Well, time to play another game then, since you hate this one so much.
  • ErminazErminaz Senior Member USARegistered Users Posts: 5,909
    edited December 2016
    bronhoms said:

Krabbz said:

I could rarely get out of Athel Loren due to the constant rebellions, Beastmen and Brettonian attacks. Tilea even tried to invade once.
    In my current campaign as Orion I had Skarsnik bring his army and accompanying Waaaggh! into the forest. As I was the only one at war with them in forest it was up to my 2/3 stack to fight them off (it was early in the campaign).
    Tacitus Quotes:
    Auferre, trucidare, rapere, falsis nominibus imperium; atque, ubi solitudinem faciunt, pacem appellant.
    They plunder, they slaughter, and they steal: this they falsely name Empire, and where they make a wasteland, they call it peace.

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges.
    The more numerous the laws, the more corrupt the government.

I found Rome a city of filth covered marble and left it a pile of rubble. - Me
  • TarvosTarvos Member Registered Users Posts: 139
    I'm falling in love with the Wood Elves, since their archers become really powerful with the hotfix. The range and damage buff is wonderful.

Armor piercing arrows against Empire troops are devasting. I'm fighting constantly for the safety of Athel Lorren. Admittedly, the rebellions are tedious. These unthankful elves should obey Orion and not fight him! :cold_sweat:
  • Canuovea#6291Canuovea#6291 Registered Users, Moderators, Knights Posts: 15,927
    I just had a great time in the mini-campaign. Had the best battle I've ever fought.
    -Forum Terms and Conditions: https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest
    -New Rules: https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/287645/new-forum-rules#latest
    -Rules FAQ: https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/287650/total-war-forum-faq#latest
    -Using all caps is the equivalent of shouting. Please don't.
    -5.7 Summon a moderator if someone seems to be out of line, or use the report button. Do NOT become another party to misbehaviour
  • StephinceStephince Registered Users Posts: 3,295
    I'm having fun.
  • StephinceStephince Registered Users Posts: 3,295
    The units are gorgeous.
  • theedge634theedge634 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,270
    edited December 2016
    Stephince said:

The units are gorgeous.

They desperately need a hair mod for the Elf units though... the uniform different color hair for each unit is pretty ridiculous.

The Dryad animations are pretty subpar as well, but overall the faction definitely looks great.
  • williamlaurent89williamlaurent89 Registered Users Posts: 355
    Wood elves + mini campaign are excellent. Change nothing
  • boyfightsboyfights Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 4,023
    totally agree, wood elves are perfect the way they are. i started my durthu campaign with an attitude like "well, i paid for them so i might as well try them" and after finishing it i'm impressed enough that i'm actually looking forward to trying orion, which is not a thing that i ever expected to say

kudos CA B)
    boyfights you are always here to confirmate every spark of originality
    or reason burns or acid bruises anyone,
    stop your gladiator love for agressions.
  • GRAY_HATGRAY_HAT Senior Member UKRegistered Users Posts: 5,394
    boyfights said:

totally agree, wood elves are perfect the way they are. i started my durthu campaign with an attitude like "well, i paid for them so i might as well try them" and after finishing it i'm impressed enough that i'm actually looking forward to trying orion, which is not a thing that i ever expected to say

kudos CA B)

Boyfights has turn to the green side, my work here is done.

FOR ATHEL LOREN!
    Team Wood Elves

boyfights loves wood elves.

"Heaven forbid that under the Vail of military training we should subject our young men to the lust of our general" - Hanno to the Carthaginian senate on the future of Hannibal.

"Guard mode is back in Warhammer :)" - Darren_CA

"It's amazing how many mistakes your enemy will make in haste after seeing that he's outgunned" -The Organ King
    GRAY_HAT said:

boyfights said:

kudos CA B)

Boyfights has turn to the green side, my work here is done.

FOR ATHEL LOREN!
    I just hope CA does a bad job on high elves, I don't want to have to say nice things about all of the elves :cry:
  • SilferSilfer Registered Users Posts: 427
    It's wonderfull how many people here like to force people to play by their ways, i want play as a true wood elf and they want me to play as a rome empire or as a babysister COOL :D (sarcasm because you don't understand nothing)
  • MaedrethnirMaedrethnir Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 16,957
    Units by themselves are great but I would give them some more range and definately they should shoot throgh trees.

Overall I would give more buff to the buff
  • ArecBalrinArecBalrin Registered Users Posts: 2,857
    Wood Elf archers can shoot up to 180 metres. Which is great, except that human archers mustered from peasantry in the middle-ages could shoot between 200-300 metres. I would have expected that fantasy + Elves + artistic license would at a minimum have them doing a lot better than that.
  • Osprey#3500Osprey#3500 Registered Users Posts: 522

Wood Elf archers can shoot up to 180 metres. Which is great, except that human archers mustered from peasantry in the middle-ages could shoot between 200-300 metres. I would have expected that fantasy + Elves + artistic license would at a minimum have them doing a lot better than that.

You have to keep in mind the map dimensions. That would be extremely unbalanced.
  • ArecBalrinArecBalrin Registered Users Posts: 2,857
    Osprey said:

You have to keep in mind the map dimensions. That would be extremely unbalanced.
    Really? The old Total War games did just fine with realistic bow ranges and they were much more tactically diverse for it. Now missile units are used for sniping and flanking, not much else.
  • Wargol4Wargol4 Registered Users Posts: 41
    boyfights said:

kudos CA B)

Wow even boyfights is fond of the tree hugers, i'm disapointed :*

• UppslitarenUppslitaren Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 582
    edited December 2016
    If archers in this game, were effective for too far range it would completely upset the balance.
    If realistic, it would also be rather useless against any enemy wearing good quality plate armour or better.
    Anyone wearing chaos armour for example would be rather invulnerable to normal weapons, not to mention arrows :).

I think wood elves are pretty well balanced as they are right now, and so are their archers. Realism shouldn't always be the goal and balance and fun gameplay must always have precedence.
    As it is now, wood elf archery does play similar to the table top. Obviously not completely the same since this game is not turn based, but I think those in charge of gameplay at CA got a pretty good idea of how Wood elves are supposed to play like in the table top and what they are like in the lore.
    Of course there is a need to balance in on the fact that players are of different skills and what not, but I think they "got it", with this one, unless there is some unknown factor i missed somehow.
    edited December 2016
    Wargol4 said:

Wow even boyfights is fond of the tree hugers, i'm disapointed :*

what can i say, giant sacking/razing numbers get me all sweaty B)

having allied greenskins back up my treemen army against dwarfs in battle did a lot to sway me too tbh

gonna make orion be best buds with mannfred and vlad when i get to him B)
  • torsken_deadtorsken_dead Member Registered Users Posts: 138
    Anyone else noticed the awesome animations on orion?

When he picks up an enemy ,holding him with one hand and thrusting his spear in to said enemy , and just throw him away like trash?

Such awesome work!