Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Warriors of Chaos Overhaul

Comments

• DandalusXVIIDandalusXVII Posts: 4,070Registered Users
    This must happen in official campaign.
  • SaphironSaphiron Junior Member Posts: 827Registered Users

CW in campaign maintain the horde but also MUST be able to occupy province capital settlements on map, they aren't beastmen not to be able to, as well as razing it to a Chaos portal which can already do, a portal spreads more Chaos influence while an occupied settlement provides garrison buildings, walls, can not make a Chaos influence building so portals must be around to maintain influence levels, provide an increase to replenishment as in an awakened tribe region, can not make any economy buildings, can make demonic summoning buildings which charge after killing captives in battles and summon Chaos daemons. These buildings have an upkeep to maintain also need Chaos influence more than 50% to function.

You want upkeep for every building? Chaos suffers from massively upkeep as it is, to the point it severely limits their stacks.

No more upkeep.

If anything the number of chaos outposts should slightly lower upkeep so chaos can get stronger, not weaker.

Like 1% per 4 outposts.
  • ChaosDragonBornChaosDragonBorn Posts: 1,487Registered Users
    Upkeep? Well I know it's especially annoying for chaos, because they have to maintain a strong army while still needing to raiding and sack settlement for money/dark favor. So my suggestion was give them a raiding encamp stance. It's a very powerful stance. You get dark favor and replenish your army at the same time. I don't see a reason why they shouldn't have it right now even.
  • KGpoopyKGpoopy Posts: 2,009Registered Users

Just a brain storm here, but what do you think of agents being able to sow discord in an a lords army and temporarily control it. Or making a lord completely defect depending on the agents skill and controlling that army permanently.

Just a random thought, but that could be fun.

Sounds great, but how would CA make it so it seems the lord is out of control and traitorous rather than another chaos army? What I mean is, what if I indeed wanted to sow discord and chaos to a faction by temporary controlling one of their armies and making it seem like that lord went nuts rather than being a chaos army? Know what I mean?

For example, I take control of a hochland army. I attack an ally, lets say middenland. I want Middenland to now gain negative and even hostile relations with Hochland! lol That would be amazing. It should not be easy, and require a high level hero.
    Saphiron said:

My biggest thing with chaos is I want it to be really powerful, but I want them to at

I disagree with your point on no Archaon infighting.

If Archaon going to kill everyone who opposes him then that is going to reduce the ranks which is what attrition does anyway.

Lol Yeah, well that would definitely contribute to even more attrition but it was a joke about the feature itself. My point was that Archaon should get a trait that makes him immune to infighting attrition because he's the dark god's chosen champion, and the majority of chaos followers revere him. He's like 'king chaos".
    I like this idea but lets give this trait to every chaos lord so we don't have to deal with infighting at all because it's f---ing stupid.
    I'd say Archaon gets it from the start, and chaos lords can earn it through leveling up and winning battles.
    I like this. i'm fine with infighting early on, but it shouldn't apply at turn 200 with four chaos stacks united under one legendary lord.
    I made a little addition to the feature. :wink:

Archaon should get a trait that makes him immune to infighting attrition because he's the dark god's chosen champion, and the majority of chaos followers revere him. Chaos lords can earn it through leveling up and winning battles. Maybe it can be a trait that is rewarded through cooperative actions.
    KGpoopy said:

Just a brain storm here, but what do you think of agents being able to sow discord in an a lords army and temporarily control it. Or making a lord completely defect depending on the agents skill and controlling that army permanently.

Sounds great, but how would CA make it so it seems the lord is out of control and traitorous rather than another chaos army? What I mean is, what if I indeed wanted to sow discord and chaos to a faction by temporary controlling one of their armies and making it seem like that lord went nuts rather than being a chaos army? Know what I mean?

For example, I take control of a hochland army. I attack an ally, lets say middenland. I want Middenland to now gain negative and even hostile relations with Hochland! lol That would be amazing. It should not be easy, and require a high level hero.
    I agree completely, and that's what I had in mind too. But here's what I have so far.

-Give chaos heroes the ability to manipulate lords and control their army temporarily, or permanently depending on the skill and level
  • Ephraim_DaltonEphraim_Dalton Senior Member Posts: 19,067Registered Users

KGpoopy said:

I agree completely, and that's what I had in mind too. But here's what I have so far.

-Give chaos heroes the ability to manipulate lords and control their army temporarily, or permanently depending on the skill and level
    Can you say "OP"?

That's a terrible idea since that would make the WoC so incredibly easy you wouldn't even need to fight any battles with your main stack, just send your agents out and level them until you can mind-control the entire map.

Why are people so hell-bent here to make the WoC campaign boring?

If you want a corruption mechanic make it so that corruption takes a while and the spawned traitor-troops are not aligned with the main Chaos faction.

• Combat_WombatCombat_Wombat Posts: 4,092Registered Users
    edited March 2017
    Full province taken over by chaos could spawn a midtier chaos army that only wanders around that province.
    Something like that?

I gotta agree on the agent thing being OP though. This isn't older TW games where you can just BUY cities and armies from other factions. A whole army should never rebel in TWW as far as I see it. What happens when you're doing a h2h MP campaign? The AI can afford to lose one of its armies for a few turns. A player cannot. If it's the one army they have defending the entire north half of their territory, that can easily turn into an army that's just going to destroy half your cities. There is no way in this game right now to balance something like that. If someone can come up with a way that doesn't sound ridiculous then I'm all ears. Otherwise don't push for this mechanic.

Oh and again...

Saphiron said:

My biggest thing with chaos is I want it to be really powerful, but I want them to at

I disagree with your point on no Archaon infighting.

If Archaon going to kill everyone who opposes him then that is going to reduce the ranks which is what attrition does anyway.

Lol Yeah, well that would definitely contribute to even more attrition but it was a joke about the feature itself. My point was that Archaon should get a trait that makes him immune to infighting attrition because he's the dark god's chosen champion, and the majority of chaos followers revere him. He's like 'king chaos".
    I like this idea but lets give this trait to every chaos lord so we don't have to deal with infighting at all because it's f---ing stupid.
    I'd say Archaon gets it from the start, and chaos lords can earn it through leveling up and winning battles.
    I like this. i'm fine with infighting early on, but it shouldn't apply at turn 200 with four chaos stacks united under one legendary lord.
    I made a little addition to the feature. :wink:

Archaon should get a trait that makes him immune to infighting attrition because he's the dark god's chosen champion, and the majority of chaos followers revere him. Chaos lords can earn it through leveling up and winning battles. Maybe it can be a trait that is rewarded through cooperative actions.
    No. Remove infighting altogether. It has no purpose other than to **** the player off.

Well to not throw the feature completely off deck, it can be reduced to temporary possession only. 3-5 turns. More than enough time to do some damage. And limit the amount of controlled armies to 3. Also this is not controlling the faction it's controlling the army only. Keep in mind this requires a high level hero. Maybe they can add a manipulation skill tree to chaos agents too.

Alternative: Give chaos heroes the ability to mark the targeted lord as a traitor army and have them turn on their own faction or allies. Technically under the hood, they can be marked as a rebel army. For 3-5 turns. Essentially having the AI do the work as the manipulated lord.

Well to not throw the feature completely off deck, it can be reduced to temporary possession only. 3-5 turns. More than enough time to do some damage. And limit the amount of controlled armies to 3. Also this is not controlling the faction it's controlling the army only. Keep in mind this requires a high level hero. Maybe they can add a manipulation skill tree to chaos agents too.

Alternative: Give chaos heroes the ability to mark the targeted lord as a traitor army and have them turn on their own faction or allies. Technically under the hood, they can be marked as a rebel army. For 3-5 turns. Essentially having the AI do the work as the manipulated lord.

I don't think either of those suggestions make the idea any better. 3-5 turn limit maybe but that's plenty long enough for an army to sacrifice itself on a well garrisoned city or raze two of yours. Or there's a critical battle about to happen, you have 2 armies against 3, you're feeling a little worried but you think you'll still win. But then mister Chaos hero comes over and takes one of your armies trip out on corruption. It attacks your army, you win, and then the 3 enemy armies watching you clean up what's left and go on to rip you a new one. Great addition to the game.

I don't think either of those suggestions make the idea any better. 3-5 turn limit maybe but that's plenty long enough for an army to sacrifice itself on a well garrisoned city or raze two of yours. Or there's a critical battle about to happen, you have 2 armies against 3, you're feeling a little worried but you think you'll still win. But then mister Chaos hero comes over and takes one of your armies trip out on corruption. It attacks your army, you win, and then the 3 enemy armies watching you clean up what's left and go on to rip you a new one. Great addition to the game.
    Yeah good point. I'll mark it as could be overpowered just in case someone comes up with something or CA knows a trick or two to make it reasonably less annoying.
  • RifugioRifugio Member Posts: 824Registered Users
    edited March 2017

...If you want a corruption mechanic make it so that corruption takes a while and the spawned traitor-troops are not aligned with the main Chaos faction.

I agree with this point it should take a good while, and initially at least the traitor troops should be unaffiliated (or at the very least appear that way). But given enough time left unchecked, they could form the basis of actual Chaos armies. Well, that's what I was proposing with the Enemy Within.

I'm was not suggesting it for a mechanic for Chaos Undivided as it is now - rather in a later game for the individual Chaos factions.

As @ChaosDragonBorn suggests it could implement it by direct hero actions, it would certainly be easier to do that way. But I think would need to take time, and other factions should be able to interrupt the process (if aware of it). Other factions and the factions own heroes...

Yeah good point. I'll mark it as could be overpowered just in case someone comes up with something or CA knows a trick or two to make it reasonably less annoying.
    Limit it to 2 turns (3max) and exempt the AI from having that ability. DONE :smile:
    Rifugio said:

...If you want a corruption mechanic make it so that corruption takes a while and the spawned traitor-troops are not aligned with the main Chaos faction.

I agree with this point it should take a good while, and initially at least the traitor troops should be unaffiliated (or at the very least appear that way). But given enough time left unchecked, they could form the basis of actual Chaos armies. Well, that's what I was proposing with the Enemy Within.

I'm was not suggesting it for a mechanic for Chaos Undivided as it is now - rather in a later game for the individual Chaos factions.

As @ChaosDragonBorn suggests it could implement it by direct hero actions, it would certainly be easier to do that way. But I think would need to take time, and other factions should be able to interrupt the process (if aware of it). Other factions and the factions own heroes...
    Anything is better than the way they "sow dissent" now would be great. Chaos are the enemy within. Just look at the announcement trailer.
  • RifugioRifugio Member Posts: 824Registered Users
    edited March 2017
    KGpoopy said:

...Chaos are the enemy within. Just look at the announcement trailer.

Yes for sure, it goes back a long time before that...

1) The Enemy Within photo 1 The Enemy Within_zpsshqcfogg.jpg
    2) Shadows Over Bogenhafen photo 2 Shadows Over Bogenhafen_zpsmcwujlb8.jpg
    photo 3 Death on the Reik_zpsjegyqf2l.jpeg
    4) Power Behind The Throne photo 4 Power Behind The Throne_zpsrl4jlv9n.jpg
    5) Something Rotten in Kislev photo 5 Something Rotten in Kislev_zpsfta17pme.jpg
    6) Empire in Flames photo 6 Empire in Flames_zpsfbgfm9bc.jpg
  • matthiasssmatthiasss Posts: 18Registered Users
    Chaos settlements are not lore friendly
    edited March 2017

Chaos settlements are not lore friendly but chaos fortresses are.
    ... Kinda
    edited March 2017

No one here is talking about settlements.....

...and there is chaos fortresses(citadels) .
    edited March 2017

Wood elves conquering the world isn't lore friendly either but it's an ability. By the way it is lore friendly because "lore friendly" means it doesn't have to be interpreted straight from the pages of lore text. It can be friendly to the lore, but it doesn't have to be 100% accurate. Because in the end all we want is chaos to be fun and still horde-like but not in the same cowardly and weak way as the beastman are.
    KGpoopy said:

Didn't Archaon actually take Brass Keep and turn it into a legit chaos stronghold?

Yeah Archaon took that from the Empire. It's a chaos stronghold that Archaon retreated to after a battle. Very little is written about it. It's only mentioned by chance in other stories and lore pages.
    Here's what I know about it.
    - It's in "The Middle Mountains "
    - An imperial fortress located deep within the mountains which recently fell into the hands of Chaos warriors. Since then this fortress has been home to a multitude of Chaos Warlords seeking shelter from Imperial retribution.
    -A very powerful nurgle daemon, Orghotts Daemonspew recruits there.
    - It's now a "fortified citadel" for chaos
    -Archaon retreated there

Archaon himself didn't take it, but a Tzeench lord under his command laid siege to it.
    KGpoopy said:

Sigvald the Magnificent wants or has a palace of his own. And more

evidence and proof for chaos not exactly being the horde portrayed in the game right now. And what do you know, ...it's a fortified citadel lol.
    Lore video time marked at the spot I'm talking about.
  • Ephraim_DaltonEphraim_Dalton Senior Member Posts: 19,067Registered Users
    edited March 2017
    @ChaosDragonBorn

I made two suggestions for improving the WoC gameplay, you even quoted one in this thread:

1.The Eye of the Gods mechanic
    The WoC have to do certain deeds to keep the gods entertained or risk losing divine support. I made this suggestion before Bretonnia got something similar with their chivalry mechanic

2.Fall to Chaos
    Characters that spend time in heavily (50%+) corrupted areas or fight the WoC/BM/Norscans often risk becoming possessed by demons or starting to worship the Ruinous Powers. If they do they spawn a new faction, Chaos Renegades that's hostile to all other factions on the map, including Chaos-aligned ones and as as long as it persists, all other characters in the faction they spawned from are liable to develop corruption traits themselves

To spice this up, characters with corruption traits get certain bonuses in combat. So on one hand they fight better, but you risk a huge civil war if you keep using them against certain enemies

@ChaosDragonBorn

I made two suggestions for improving the WoC gameplay, you even quoted one in this thread:

The WoC have to do certain deeds to keep the gods entertained or risk losing divine support. I made this suggestion before Bretonnia got something similar with their chivalry mechanic

2.Fall to Chaos
    Characters that spend time in heavily (50%+) corrupted areas or fight the WoC/BM/Norscans often risk becoming possessed by demons or starting to worship the Ruinous Powers. If they do they spawn a new faction, Chaos Renegades that's hostile to all other factions on the map, including Chaos-aligned ones and as as long as it persists, all other characters in the faction they spawned from are liable to develop corruption traits themselves

To spice this up, characters with corruption traits get certain bonuses in combat. So on one hand they fight better, but you risk a huge civil war if you keep using them against certain enemies

Nice one. CA did that for bretonnia and now chaos has a chance to get something like that. But maybe they wouldn't want them to be too similar. I like the second one too because it really captures the evil subtlety of chaos that would go along with the crazy destructive nature. It's not really a playable feature but it would be a challenging element to think about when playing other races.
    edited March 2017

@ChaosDragonBorn

That's right, Combat Wombat described my feeling toward that before I could make my thoughts. It's a great mechanic, but I think the failing missions thing would be annoying to put it lightly, as the random missions are so inconvenient and just wrong. But now that you brought it up again I think I have some suggestion on that.

Make those missions separate from regular missions. The quests can be very chaos specific, exclusive to the WoC. Every now and again maybe 5 to 10 turns these quest will pop up after completion of the last quest. These quest can include the very things we all have been talking about. :smile: Such as

-Sack/Raze this place
    -Conquer this capital and erect a citadel
    -Manipulate/Assassinate this hero
    -Manipulate/Assassinate this lord
    -Corrupt this region to 25%
    -ally/destroy beastmen
    -infiltrate this settlement and establish a blasphemous building
    -raid this region
    -give dark favor to this faction in exchange for corruption

Then there can be special quest that have their own quest maps with quick story or lore narrative. These quest can take you to the new world, southlands, and even the chaos waste. These quest reward you with new heroes, dark favor, and increase your dark gods status.

All these things fail or succeed will affect your "The Eye of the Gods" meter.
    edited March 2017
    What's the incentive to complete these missions other than the normal boost to attributes and negative penalties to failing? I think there would have to be a exciting reward or penalty to high dark god pleasure and low dark god pleasure.

Maybe the rewards/punishments can be random.
    Punishment
    -Another chaos stack appears to fight you
    -an agent betrays you
    -you lose an entire stack because the general turn into a chaos spawn LOL
    - infighting attrition :wink:

Rewards
    -No infighting attrition
    -Upkeep of monsters reduced greatly
    -Able to recruit Daemon Princes and daemons
    -Recruitment costs reduced
    -the ability to mark your troops and turn them into nurgle warriors, slaanesh warriors, or khorne berserkers, or tzeench warroirs
    KGpoopy said:

What's the incentive to complete these missions other than the normal boost to attributes and negative penalties to failing? I think there would have to be a exciting reward or penalty to high dark god pleasure and low dark god pleasure.

Punishment
    -an agent betrays you

Rewards
    -No infighting attrition
    -the ability to mark your troops and turn them into nurgle warriors, slaanesh warriors, or khorne berserkers, or tzeench warroirs

Anything that makes you outright lose armies is bad for this particular game. That's why I'm not on board with Ephraim's Fall to Chaos idea. You lose not only units but also a potentially high level lord and all your banners, armor, weapons, etc. on that character. It's crippling for any player. It's like stepping on the AI's toes at best. It'll make players mad that they lost a perfectly good army for seemingly no reason or because of, in their view now, a very stupid mechanic. This goes the same with the agents.
    Again... Infighting should be REMOVED from the game ENTIRELY. I will never change my position on that.
    I like the idea of more chaos armies popping up to challenge you. It's all either norscans or bird mam or quest battles. Norscans are unfun to play against anyway and the last two are fleeting moments. I sent to fight MORE upitty chaos lords.

KGpoopy said:

Punishment
    -an agent betrays you

Rewards
    -No infighting attrition

Anything that makes you outright lose armies is bad for this particular game. That's why I'm not on board with Ephraim's Fall to Chaos idea. You lose not only units but also a potentially high level lord and all your banners, armor, weapons, etc. on that character. It's crippling for any player. It's like stepping on the AI's toes at best. It'll make players mad that they lost a perfectly good army for seemingly no reason or because of, in their view now, a very stupid mechanic. This goes the same with the agents.
    Again... Infighting should be REMOVED from the game ENTIRELY. I will never change my position on that.
    I like the idea of more chaos armies popping up to challenge you. It's all either norscans or bird mam or quest battles. Norscans are unfun to play against anyway and the last two are fleeting moments. I sent to fight MORE upitty chaos lords.

I figured there needed to be something interesting other than plain old negative penalties and stats boost from this eye of the god meter thing....and losing an entire stack on the general turning into a chaos spawn because of extremely low status on the meter would serve it's purpose, don't upset the dark gods. I agree infighting should be removed, but just in case it's not, I think it should be removed by our actions in game.

Also maybe they could do something interesting with the general/lord turning into a chaos spawn. Make the stack being wiped out less angering with a short clip of him turning into one, and some lore text about aspiring chaos lords trying to ascend to daemonhood with the laughter of a dark god in the background.
    KGpoopy said:

Punishment
    -an agent betrays you

Rewards
    -No infighting attrition

KGpoopy said:

KGpoopy said:

Punishment
    -an agent betrays you

Rewards
    -No infighting attrition

I figured there needed to be something interesting other than plain old negative penalties and stats boost from this eye of the god meter thing....and losing an entire stack on the general turning into a chaos spawn because of extremely low status on the meter would serve it's purpose, don't upset the dark gods. I agree infighting should be removed, but just in case it's not, I think it should be removed by our actions in game.

Also maybe they could do something interesting with the general/lord turning into a chaos spawn. Make the stack being wiped out less angering with a short clip of him turning into one, and some lore text about aspiring chaos lords trying to ascend to daemonhood with the laughter of a dark god in the background.
    I don't know Combat Wombat, this is some good stuff

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file