Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Any idea on when warhammer 2 will come out? Whatever it's called? Speculation?

SteppelordSteppelord Junior MemberPosts: 2,165Registered Users
Like the title says, does anybody know when it will come? I'd expect them to announce it at least half a year in advance, and I wouldn't want to wait any longer.

Comments

• Red_DoxRed_Dox Junior Member Posts: 2,326Registered Users
    Nobody knows.
    Some say it is out in May, because CA always throws "standalone expansions" out one year after relase.
    Others speculate fall, because after Bretonnia they do not expect any more DLC coming.
    Others speculate early 2018.

-----Red Dox
  • glenbrutonglenbruton Senior Member Posts: 246Registered Users
    edited January 2017
    With Wood elves being the last major DLC I'd expect an announcement April/May to keep up momentum and 'brand awareness'. H2 this year would be my guess for an actual release after what seems like eons of teasing (with no Joey it just won't be the same :( ).
    Warhammer: Total War. I would buy the heck out of it.
  • ChaosDragonBornChaosDragonBorn Posts: 1,487Registered Users
    My guess is early 2018. At least two months in. But if it's just an expansion, I'd expect it within this year.
  • Defiler_of_the_NorthDefiler_of_the_North Under a bar stool in a random tavern located within AltdolfPosts: 415Registered Users
    edited January 2017
    I'm going with late 2017 release, around October time.

There still plenty of content both FLC and DLC that can come with the old world edition such as Kislev, additional subfactions and maybe a major faction (Tome kings) as we don't know what CA mean by "No DLC at the size of Wood elves" (a race pack like Chaos is possible).

Wasn't there a article saying that the original release of game 2 was pushed back due to the unexpected high reception game 1 had, for about 1 year?
    Doesn't matter what you say, Balthasar Gelt is the best legendary lord and the lore of metal needs nerfing.

Currently suffering from a serve case of Bretonnia fever, the only cure is slaying Orks with the righteous fury of the Lady.
  • Xalek96Xalek96 Junior Member Posts: 310Registered Users

(with no Joey it just won't be the same :( ).

no joey ?, NO JOEY !?!?!, DID WE LOSE JOEY !?!?!?!?!?
    "Heavily armoured, gilded, decked out in layers of steel that an Empire warhorse would have struggled to carry, let alone charge with. Formidable. Not for nothing did men across the Old World fear the onslaught of the knights of Bretonnia." -- Reiksmarshal Kurt Helborg, observing Bretonnia's Knights.
    ep12xtrgw3gn.jpg

• obippoobippo Member Posts: 2,243Registered Users
    announcement shortly after old world edition -around april- and release in late 2017 (october-nov).
    Always be aware when a Content Refusing Troll Brigade (CRTB) representative is near. Contact your local Witch Hunter for further info.

• Sinter KlausSinter Klaus Posts: 73Registered Users
    Xalek96 said:

She got promoted to another position other than community manager. This just means she'll interact with us a lot less.
    To me, Sons of Sigmar...
    text
  • FrostPawFrostPaw Junior Member Posts: 1,044Registered Users
    If they are truly using game one to add game two onto, I would expect it later this year. If it takes two years I'd be surprised, especially if they still plan on a third game which would again end up being 2020 before the three plug together. That seems a long time to stick to the same engine and related code.
  • HerrickHerrick Posts: 173Registered Users
    I think we are only going to receive only one more minor DLC in late March or early April, so around that time we will probably get the trailer of the second game.
    So i think we are going to have it in July.
  • Neolucifer2000Neolucifer2000 Junior Member Posts: 956Registered Users
    Xalek96 said:

Good, she was kinda of annoying

Demand more love for Empire and Beastmen! Playable Middenland with Cult of Ulric! Built-in RoR like Hochland Long Rifles and Knightly orders! Doombull, Wargor, Ghorgon, Jabberslythe, Tuskboar chariot and God-specific Gors! #MakeOldWorldGreatAgain
  • MrDarth0MrDarth0 Junior Member Posts: 225Registered Users
    We're getting the Old World edition in February, so I would expect the second game to be called the New World.
  • OrkfaellerOrkfaeller Senior Member Posts: 2,328Registered Users
    edited January 2017

Xalek96 said:

She got promoted to another position other than community manager. This just means she'll interact with us a lot less.
    Wha? Did she get Christos' job or something?

Edit:

Anyway, since we're gonna get 'The Old World Edition' soon, I'd expect the second installment to be called something along the lines of 'The New World'.

• Xalek96Xalek96 Junior Member Posts: 310Registered Users

Xalek96 said:

Good, she was kinda of annoying
    i liked joey :(
    "Heavily armoured, gilded, decked out in layers of steel that an Empire warhorse would have struggled to carry, let alone charge with. Formidable. Not for nothing did men across the Old World fear the onslaught of the knights of Bretonnia." -- Reiksmarshal Kurt Helborg, observing Bretonnia's Knights.
    ep12xtrgw3gn.jpg

• NightOfTheDeadNightOfTheDead Member Posts: 590Registered Users
    edited January 2017
    CA having a separate team (confirmed by them) for the second part, and the fact that it is probably wont be more than 4-5 races expansion, it cant be 2018, because they already made 3 races playable throughout less than a year, the DLC, Beastmen, Wood Elves, Bretonnia in February, and whole lot of other content.

Most likely 2017, Fall.

• MerarchesMerarches Posts: 461Registered Users
    edited January 2017
    would me not surprise when its middle of this year, they already worked on game 2 before they release game 1. And they wrote that the most guys now work on game 2. Think they finisied the race mechanics and the "standard" are finished and jsut need some rework
    Post edited by Merarches on
  • MoritasgusMoritasgus Posts: 744Registered Users
    It all depends of how much additional content it brings, seeing as they've knocked out 2 mini campaign maps and plenty of FLC battle maps i'm sure a year is enough to flesh out those for a 2nd game.
    Race wise is similar, we know some of that was started in parallel and some of the races could even have been finished before game one went out.
    We don't really know if the DLC team did the bulk of the work or just polished nearly finished stuff from the main team, but i suspect creating what you would call the grand campaign expansion could easily be done within a year.
    The big question is additional features, stuff like ship combat or undercity networks if produced could well blow out the release date.
  • TheGhostOfProman16TheGhostOfProman16 Senior Member Posts: 1,749Registered Users
    The team working on the 2nd game is the biggest team CA has going right now and they have been probably working on this game since warhammers release considering that most of the assets already existed and the DLC team has added some assets along the way as well (Elves) I don't think the next game is too far away it really depends on how much new features their adding
    Died during the great YOYO wars
  • LaindeshLaindesh Junior Member Posts: 1,559Registered Users
    Im guessing this year. For reasons people mentioned. We might get a few minor dlc's for 1st game first. But may is far away enough.

New campaign
    Expanded grand campaign.
    3 or 4 races
    Tech. Lords etc
    Units

Theres alot to do but they worked on it for some time already. Looking forward to it.
  • TumbleTumble Posts: 462Registered Users

+1

My estimate:
    Announcement q2, release date q4 but then delays push it to q1 2018.
    3 or 4 (new) races at launch with game 1 races playable for those that own it.
  • thedudeguythedudeguy Posts: 287Registered Users
    I think there's still too much to put into the Old World for them to be done with it to the point people make it sound and a lot of that is due to a specific interpretation of the CA comments that Wood Elves DLC was 'the biggest and one of the last' DLCs for game one. Given that we'll probably get news about Game 2 somewhere between 3-6 months before it shows up I think that we're still looking at late fall at the earliest and from Feb until Fall without anything but lord and unit packs seems silly.

Still expecting at least Skaven (sans pestilens) and Tomb Kings for Game 1 and I really think game 2 comes out either Holiday season 2017 or early 2018.
  • AsamuAsamu Posts: 548Registered Users
    edited January 2017
    Based on their statements in the December 16th update, and the release pattern so far (A release every ~1.5 months), I'd guess spring or early summer. Anything later than July would be a bit of a surprise. More likely it will release towards the end of May or the beginning of June, leaving room for a DLC between old world edition and game 2 in early-mid april, since they implied there would be another DLC after Wood Elves.

For those saying end of 2017 or early 2018: They have separate teams for the main expansions and the DLCs, and have been working on the 4 races for game 2 since before release of game 1. Considering we've had a 2 DLC races with mini campaigns, and Bretonnia is being released soon as FLC, it wouldn't make sense for it to take more than a year to release game 2.

1. They are already planning the DLC schedule for the game 2 DLC.
    2. One of the next projects for the DLC team, after the old world edition is an "early adopter bonus" for game 2.
    3. They've confirmed work on Dark Elves (Hydras, harpies), and we know they did at least some work on High Elves before even the initial release based on some images.
    4. Wood Elves being the largest DLC between now and game 2 means it can't be too far off; they'd need another similarly sized DLC before its release if it wasn't coming until next year.

For reference:

On the future side, there’s a lot of discussions being had and scheduling being done around our plans for the second WARHAMMER game’s DLC, Free-LC and not to mention the early-adopter bonus, which will be one of the next things the team moves on to as we get into next year.

Warhammer Team –Total War: WARHAMMER trilogy
    The sequel is now in full production, with the majority of CA staff on Total War working through the huge content plan for the second part of the trilogy. In the last few months, the art and animation teams have been decking the studio’s walls with incredible renders of our new models, and sending around vids of jaw-dropping animations.

It sounds like game 2 is pretty far along already, especially for them to be bringing up plans for after its release, and I wouldn't expect the "early-adopter" bonus to be mentioned at all as a project if game 2 isn't releasing within the next 6 months or so.
    Post edited by Asamu on
  • FlyingWarPigWithPawsFlyingWarPigWithPaws Posts: 730Registered Users
    Well they said that the whole schedule was delayed by 1 year due to their increased ambition so it will definitly not come this year. The earliest possible date would have been april or may this year. Moving that by 1 year will bring us to 2018.
    Ungrim is no longer homesick.
  • ArsenicArsenic Posts: 4,458Registered Users
    Asamu said:

B
    4. Wood Elves being the largest DLC between now and game 2 means it can't be too far off; they'd need another similarly sized DLC before its release if it wasn't coming until next year.

Oh, I don't know.

There's plenty of smaller things they could do to keep things at least humming along nicely until then. Kislev, Dogs of War, various Empire factions would really just need reskins. They could beef up some of the now surpassed original LL's (Gelt and Kemmler), or release some of the big-name ones missing, like Helborg, Ariel, Neferata and Drachenfels (if they really want to go OTT).
    Or they could really, really surprise us all and release another Race without a Campaign attached. We know they've already done work for the High Elves, not impossible they've finished another Race and are just waiting to release it. Think it just wishful thinking personally, but there we go.
    "Ours is a world of fleeting glory. But it is glory, nonetheless."
  • NightOfTheDeadNightOfTheDead Member Posts: 590Registered Users

Well they said that the whole schedule was delayed by 1 year due to their increased ambition so it will definitly not come this year. The earliest possible date would have been april or may this year. Moving that by 1 year will bring us to 2018.

Source?

• SteppelordSteppelord Junior Member Posts: 2,165Registered Users
    Well I hadn't expected so many opinions on this. Thank you, but now I still have no idea when it's gonna come out.
  • LestaTLestaT Senior Member Posts: 3,269Registered Users

Well I hadn't expected so many opinions on this. Thank you, but now I still have no idea when it's gonna come out.

CA usually announce during some gaming convention. When's next?
  • Red_DoxRed_Dox Junior Member Posts: 2,326Registered Users
    LestaT said:

PAX south next week? But doesn't look like CA is there
    http://south.paxsite.com/schedule
    Would bet more on Pax east in march or a PAX later this year

E3 in june
    Gamescom in august
    would be the usual suspects to announcing something" big".

------Red Dox
  • LestaTLestaT Senior Member Posts: 3,269Registered Users
    edited January 2017
    Red_Dox said:

LestaT said:

PAX south next week? But doesn't look like CA is there
    http://south.paxsite.com/schedule
    Would bet more on Pax east in march or a PAX later this year

E3 in june
    Gamescom in august
    would be the usual suspects to announcing something" big".

------Red Dox
    I'm thinking about Rezzed in April. :) The timing is nice, 2 months after OWE release.
  • jackiebrownjackiebrown Senior Member Posts: 258Registered Users

Yea... I'm pretty sure they didn't say that. They said something about more content on top of what was already planned in response to the high sales numbers.
  • TheGhostOfProman16TheGhostOfProman16 Senior Member Posts: 1,749Registered Users
    Do they really need an e3 scale event to announce something that's basically an expansion??
    Died during the great YOYO wars