We’re pleased to announce a large update for the Assembly Kit for Total War: WARHAMMER that introduces battle map editing! The map editor is called Terry and we’re currently in BETA with a full release slated for the end of the month. BETA caveats:
• This Beta is for Windows 10 users only. Windows 7 and 8 will be available at full release at the end of February.
• Grass currently does not generate on maps in game. Terry’s features:
• Land battle map editing for custom and multiplayer battle.
• Full suite of environment models, props, SFX and VFX for map creation.
• A.I. hints, deployment editing, no-go regions, terraforming, texture terrain painting, vegetation terrain painting and more.
• Customizable layout and layering within the tools for easy organization and navigation.
• Easy one click export that creates a .pack file for you map, allowing you to toggle it on and off in the Total War Launcher as you wish.
• Live map transfer in multiplayer. Simply host a game with a custom map and other players will download it automatically without the need to subscribe on the workshop. The maps will be deleted after the battle (unless subscribed to in the workshop or manually placed in the game data folder)
• Share maps via steam workshop and subscribe to your favourites. Having maps enabled will not affect your ability to join multiplayer games.To access the beta: (only need to do this once)
• Log into your account that owns Total War: WARHAMMER
• In Steam, hover over “LIBRARY” and select “TOOLS”
• Search “Total War: WARHAMMER – Assembly Kit BETA” and install.
• Right-click “Total War: WARHAMMER – Assembly Kit BETA” and select “Properties”.
• In the Properties window, select the “BETAS” tab.
• In the “Enter beta access code to unlock private betas:” please enter the code: fjesij4issfgwse30s334
• Click the “Check Code” button, then select “cascade2 -” from the “Select the beta you would like to opt into:” drop-down box.
• The Assembly Kit will update to the version including the Terry tool.
To use Terry:
In Steam, Tools, Double click Total War: WARHAMMER – Assembly Kit BETA and select “Play Tweak (Database Editor)” and click “PLAY”.
Tweak will open up. In the “Plugins” section select “Terry”.
We'll have more detailed information and guides on how to make maps using Terry soon.
Unfortunately we can’t release a Campaign Map Editing tool for TW:WARHAMMER, as it doesn’t exist. The way we build the campaign map at CA is through a series of processes involving a mix of tech we make and 3rd party tools we don’t own the right to distribute, within a development version of the game. This is the best way for us to create our games, and we don’t use an all-in-one editor that you might be thinking of.
While it is theoretically possible to create an editor like this, it wouldn’t benefit our development process, would take us a long time and delay the next Total War releasing and would mean that we’d be making an editor and not a game, which is what we would much rather do.