Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

We're introducing Battle Map Editing! Find out more here

Grace_CAGrace_CA Creative AssemblyPosts: 778Registered Users, Moderators, Administrators, CA Staff Mods, CA Staff, Community Team
We’re pleased to announce a large update for the Assembly Kit for Total War: WARHAMMER that introduces battle map editing! The map editor is called Terry and we’re currently in BETA with a full release slated for the end of the month.

BETA caveats:

• This Beta is for Windows 10 users only. Windows 7 and 8 will be available at full release at the end of February.
• Grass currently does not generate on maps in game.

Terry’s features:

• Land battle map editing for custom and multiplayer battle.
• Full suite of environment models, props, SFX and VFX for map creation.
• A.I. hints, deployment editing, no-go regions, terraforming, texture terrain painting, vegetation terrain painting and more.
• Customizable layout and layering within the tools for easy organization and navigation.
• Easy one click export that creates a .pack file for you map, allowing you to toggle it on and off in the Total War Launcher as you wish.
• Live map transfer in multiplayer. Simply host a game with a custom map and other players will download it automatically without the need to subscribe on the workshop. The maps will be deleted after the battle (unless subscribed to in the workshop or manually placed in the game data folder)
• Share maps via steam workshop and subscribe to your favourites. Having maps enabled will not affect your ability to join multiplayer games.

To access the beta: (only need to do this once)

• In Steam, hover over “LIBRARY” and select “TOOLS”
• Search “Total War: WARHAMMER – Assembly Kit BETA” and install.
• Right-click “Total War: WARHAMMER – Assembly Kit BETA” and select “Properties”.
• In the Properties window, select the “BETAS” tab.
• In the “Enter beta access code to unlock private betas:” please enter the code: fjesij4issfgwse30s334
• Click the “Check Code” button, then select “cascade2 -” from the “Select the beta you would like to opt into:” drop-down box.
• The Assembly Kit will update to the version including the Terry tool.

To use Terry:

In Steam, Tools, Double click Total War: WARHAMMER – Assembly Kit BETA and select “Play Tweak (Database Editor)” and click “PLAY”.

Tweak will open up. In the “Plugins” section select “Terry”.

We'll have more detailed information and guides on how to make maps using Terry soon.

Unfortunately we can’t release a Campaign Map Editing tool for TW:WARHAMMER, as it doesn’t exist. The way we build the campaign map at CA is through a series of processes involving a mix of tech we make and 3rd party tools we don’t own the right to distribute, within a development version of the game. This is the best way for us to create our games, and we don’t use an all-in-one editor that you might be thinking of.

While it is theoretically possible to create an editor like this, it wouldn’t benefit our development process, would take us a long time and delay the next Total War releasing and would mean that we’d be making an editor and not a game, which is what we would much rather do.
Post edited by CA_Ella on

Comments

• Commissar_GCommissar_G Senior Member Posts: 9,616Registered Users
    Will you be able to add these maps to locations on the grand campaign map? Is this or adding existing multiplayer maps to the campaign planned in the future?
    "As a sandbox game everyone, without exception, should be able to play the game exactly as they see fit and that means providing the maximum scope possible." - ~UNiOnJaCk~
  • PetromirPetromir Senior Member Posts: 2,147Registered Users
    Can't wait to play with Terry!
  • endurendur Posts: 2,610Registered Users
    edited February 2017
    bridge and fords over rivers? villages and unwalled towns? farm walls i.e. similar to Napoleon? forts with four walls?
  • HoneyBunHoneyBun Senior Member Posts: 3,863Registered Users
    Phhhh MP

The new forum makes my eyes bleed

Will you be able to add these maps to locations on the grand campaign map? Is this or adding existing multiplayer maps to the campaign planned in the future?

Only mentioned custom and MP, so sounds like not. No siege maps yet.
  • Grace_CAGrace_CA Creative Assembly Posts: 778Registered Users, Moderators, Administrators, CA Staff Mods, CA Staff, Community Team

Unfortunately we can’t release a Campaign Map Editing tool for TW:WARHAMMER, as it doesn’t exist. The way we build the campaign map at CA is through a series of processes involving a mix of tech we make and 3rd party tools we don’t own the right to distribute, within a development version of the game. This is the best way for us to create our games, and we don’t use an all-in-one editor that you might be thinking of.

While it is theoretically possible to create an editor like this, it wouldn’t benefit our development process, would take us a long time and delay the next Total War releasing and would mean that we’d be making an editor and not a game, which is what we would much rather do.
  • Commissar_GCommissar_G Senior Member Posts: 9,616Registered Users
    Eh it's good for some of the MP guys I guess then.

Personally I have never played a custom or multiplayer battle (outside of co-op campaigns).
    "As a sandbox game everyone, without exception, should be able to play the game exactly as they see fit and that means providing the maximum scope possible." - ~UNiOnJaCk~
  • GaussiaGaussia Junior Member Posts: 1,258Registered Users
    edited February 2017
    Awsome!

Two questions:
    - Will you be able to add custom made battle maps to the campaign
    (So if someone makes an awesome map pack, can it be used to increase campaign battle map variation?)

- Will you be able to change battle map size and deployment/vanguard deployment zones?

Edit (Answers during Steam):
    - It's possible to change the size of the map. There's a maximum size that's ~4x the area of the usual warhammer battle map.
    - You can customize deployment zones.
    Post edited by Gaussia on
  • Grace_CAGrace_CA Creative Assembly Posts: 778Registered Users, Moderators, Administrators, CA Staff Mods, CA Staff, Community Team
    Gaussia said:

Awsome!

Two questions:

Not currently due to the way the editors work.
  • obippoobippo Member Posts: 2,219Registered Users
    Great, hope I can edit the weather/fog with this :)))
    Always be aware when a Content Refusing Troll Brigade (CRTB) representative is near. Contact your local Witch Hunter for further info.

• GaussiaGaussia Junior Member Posts: 1,258Registered Users
    Grace_CA said:

Gaussia said:

Awsome!

Two questions:

Not currently due to the way the editors work.
    Good to know.
    (If the editor turns out to be popular I will hope for something like that)
  • Rochaid29Rochaid29 Senior Member Posts: 1,135Registered Users
    months waiting for news about content..like...bretonnia?.. months.. and this is all about a map editor.

what a disappointment
    Yeah they said in stream that if this is popular they will work on adding more support.
    Rochaid29 said:

months waiting for news about content..like...bretonnia?.. months.. and this is all about a map editor.

what a disappointment

We literally explained in all posts about this that Bretonnia is coming at the end of the month and that this was about a brand new feature coming with it. So I'm not sure why there's disappointment involved specifically with this announcement, but it's sad to see as we worked hard on this and we all think it's a really cool feature.
  • MrJadeMrJade Senior Member Lansing, MIPosts: 7,122Registered Users
    edited February 2017
    I'm disappointed because I wanted SP interaction. I don't play MP or CB.

#MissingThemBridges
    Thrones of Britannia: 69/100
    Warhammer II: 73/100
    Warhammer: 79/100
    Attila: 70/100 [Age of Charlemagne: 72/100]
    Rome II: 49/100
    Shogun II: 93/100 [Fall of the Samurai: 95/100]
    Napoleon: 58/100
    Empire: 53/100
    Medieval II: 90/100 [Kingdoms: 90/100]
    Rome I: 88/100
    Medieval I: 92/100
    Shogun I: 84/100
  • englisharcher89englisharcher89 Senior Member Bath, UKPosts: 3,703Registered Users
    obippo said:

I hope we can edit skyboxes as well. Going to start playing around wanna do map from Vampire Counts trailer, and change all trees in Sylvania from pine to dead trees.
    Vampire Counts
    Tomb Kings
    The Empire

"Surrender and serve me in life, or die and slave for me in death." - Vlad von Carstein
  • gholingholin Member Posts: 899Registered Users
    I think this is a fantastic feature Grace! I'm excited to play new maps and try my hand at more.

I think a lot of people want stuff like Legendary heroes and new start positions and mercenaries, and I want those as well, but I thank CA so much for every new feature you guys add to this already amazing game. it just makes me want to keep playing and this feature will increase custom battle longevity :)
  • TyrionLamperougeTyrionLamperouge Junior Member Posts: 268Registered Users
    If is just for multiplayer is a really big disappointment. Army painter , new sieges, unit formations or things like that would be really cool (for single player too). Making so much hype just for a multiplayer thing ........

If is just for multiplayer is a really big disappointment. Army painter , new sieges, unit formations or things like that would be really cool (for single player too). Making so much hype just for a multiplayer thing ........

If by 'so much hype' you mean 'we posted about it twice' then yes. I didn't really consider this hype and thought we were quite honest about it. And it's for custom battles as well as multiplayer.
    MrJade said:

#MissingThemBridges

Campaign interaction surely as CB are both MP and SP...

But they have mentioned in stream things like sieges and adding to campaign may turn up.

Sieges they did say Attila experience has shown are much more complicated to produce which partially why no sieges at least yet.
  • ArgonArgon Senior Member ItalyPosts: 1,428Registered Users
    Grace_CA said:

Will you consider in the future to add by your hand community made maps that are well made and lore friendly to the campaign map?
    My favorite factions in TW titles:
    Rome 1 - House of Julii
    Medieval 2 - Milan
    Empire - England
    Napoleon - France
    Shogun 2 - Tokugawa
    Rome 2 - Macedon
    Attila - Western Roman Empire
    Warhammer - Empire (Karl Franz)
    obippo said:

Not inside the battle map editor itself, and not with our Assembly Kit tools, but the community tools (Pack File Manager) can allow you to.
  • KrabbzKrabbz FrancePosts: 332Registered Users
    Disapointing that it is only for custom and MP... Makes the whole feature USELESS for a lot of people if not most.

Siege battle maps will still be pretty boring.
    We won't see any diversity aswell... always the same flat and featureless battle maps for campain.

I love this Total War but battle maps are the worst of all Total War ever.
  • UrgatUrgat Posts: 992Registered Users
    I understand it must be very frustrating to read criticism when you release something new like that for free, but I admit my titanic enthusiasm when I read the title of this topic fell right to the underway when I saw the maps were for custom and MP only... I had so many ideas, well, now, I can forget about them. I understand this is how it's going to stay this way, right?
  • gholingholin Member Posts: 899Registered Users
    Grace, can we make siege maps with this? Can we make it so units can go through all those cool Dwarfen archways we see in game usually but can't interact with? Thanks for any answers!
    Urgat said:

I understand it must be very frustrating to read criticism when you release something new like that for free, but I admit my titanic enthusiasm when I read the title of this topic fell right to the underway when I saw the maps were for custom and MP only... I had so many ideas, well, now, I can forget about them. I understand this is how it's going to stay this way, right?

They have said that more support will come if the tool is used a lot. Pretty much the only thing ruled out is editing of the campaign map itself, adding The battlemaps to the campaign map was mentioned a possibility for the future in stream.
  • GRAY_HATGRAY_HAT Senior Member UKPosts: 5,394Registered Users
    Do the maps save as the same file format as normal maps?

So would it be possible to switch out the current campaign maps by renaming the Terry made maps to the ones already used by the campaign?
    Team Wood Elves

boyfights loves wood elves.

"Heaven forbid that under the Vail of military training we should subject our young men to the lust of our general" - Hanno to the Carthaginian senate on the future of Hannibal.

"Guard mode is back in Warhammer :)" - Darren_CA

"It's amazing how many mistakes your enemy will make in haste after seeing that he's outgunned" -The Organ King
  • MrJadeMrJade Senior Member Lansing, MIPosts: 7,122Registered Users
    Petromir said:

MrJade said:

#MissingThemBridges

Campaign interaction surely as CB are both MP and SP...

But they have mentioned in stream things like sieges and adding to campaign may turn up.

Sieges they did say Attila experience has shown are much more complicated to produce which partially why no sieges at least yet.
    I mean, SP as in the way that 99+% of players spend 90+% of time, so campaign.
    Thrones of Britannia: 69/100
    Warhammer II: 73/100
    Warhammer: 79/100
    Attila: 70/100 [Age of Charlemagne: 72/100]
    Rome II: 49/100
    Shogun II: 93/100 [Fall of the Samurai: 95/100]
    Napoleon: 58/100
    Empire: 53/100
    Medieval II: 90/100 [Kingdoms: 90/100]
    Rome I: 88/100
    Medieval I: 92/100
    Shogun I: 84/100
    gholin said:

Grace, can we make siege maps with this? Can we make it so units can go through all those cool Dwarfen archways we see in game usually but can't interact with? Thanks for any answers!

No siege maps yet, but possibly in the future.

Choke points yes, not sure about the arches but the showed ruins used to create choke points between them.

Someone has made a map reminiscent of an old unwalled settlement map.
  • obippoobippo Member Posts: 2,219Registered Users
    Grace_CA said:

obippo said:

Not inside the battle map editor itself, and not with our Assembly Kit tools, but the community tools (Pack File Manager) can allow you to.
    Could you tell me which variant/table should i edit for that? Ive been messing with the pfm but havent been able to find the right one to remove fog. I'm looking into data-> db but didn't find the right one I think
    Always be aware when a Content Refusing Troll Brigade (CRTB) representative is near. Contact your local Witch Hunter for further info.