Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

We're introducing Battle Map Editing! Find out more here

Comments

• GrayserGrayser Junior Member Posts: 233Registered Users
    edited February 2017
    Its a nice feature for MP I guess, last I played a custom battle was in Med2.

Honestly I kind of understand why its not campaign applicable but for a developer making a game moddable is usually a great idea.

To take one thing as an example, before the game released I posted a lot in threads regarding combat speed. My preference is for slightly slower combat but I think judging by the forums that most people like it as it is. However the second CA announced that TWW would have mod support I stopped caring because I knew it would be a mod for it. (another happy customer)

Same with the current lack of small settlement battles, I think the majority prefer the current system but a lot of people me included enjoyed village battles, with a mapmaker for campaign I could finally get even more enjoyment out of the game.

Mods are an excellent way to make sure everyone can enjoy their own version of the game without the developers having to cater to every special need that pops up like Super magic, OP lords, hard-mode mods and so on and so forth.

More modding is a win for everyone in most situations, but as it stands map editor for only custom battles barely warrants a meh in terms of features, which sounds harsh and I feel bad for saying it.

Hopefully we can have a map editor for the campaign one day.

• PetromirPetromir Senior Member Posts: 2,147Registered Users
    GRAY_HAT said:

Do the maps save as the same file format as normal maps?

So would it be possible to switch out the current campaign maps by renaming the Terry made maps to the ones already used by the campaign?

Not sure, as naming isn't enough, the editor adds a unique key to it, to prevent issues with players naming the files the same thing, which may hinder that plan. I wonder if other tools allow players to find that list.
  • Grace_CAGrace_CA Creative Assembly Posts: 777Registered Users, Moderators, Administrators, CA Staff Mods, CA Staff, Community Team
    obippo said:

Grace_CA said:

obippo said:

Great, hope I can edit the weather/fog with this :)))

Not inside the battle map editor itself, and not with our Assembly Kit tools, but the community tools (Pack File Manager) can allow you to.
    Could you tell me which variant/table should i edit for that? Ive been messing with the pfm but havent been able to find the right one to remove fog. I'm looking into data-> db but didn't find the right one I think
    From what I'm told...: The environment files are in XML files and they are kinda all over the place, not really in one location, but will be in the battle maps folder
  • Knight_IranKnight_Iran Senior Member Islamic Republic of IRANPosts: 514Registered Users
    edited February 2017
    This tool is only cool for MP and custom battles and really useless to SP players. please do something for us too! please answer this question CA:

why don't you bring those MP maps into SP campaign? current maps in SP are really boring and copy/pasted! what is the problem?!! the battle maps is SP are really bland for warhammer world. this game needs harsh battle maps just like MP ones. pfff
    In the first game,

Team Empire ---> Finished
    Team Greenskins ---> Finished
    Team Vampire Counts ---> Finished
    Now waiting for second game!

" The only good stunty is a dead stunty. and the only thing better than a dead stunty is a dyin' stunty who tells yer where to find 'is mates. " - Morglum Necksnapper

F0dgpS1.jpg
  • Grace_CAGrace_CA Creative Assembly Posts: 777Registered Users, Moderators, Administrators, CA Staff Mods, CA Staff, Community Team

This tool is only cool for MP and custom battles and really useless to SP players. please do something for us too! please answer this question CA:

why don't you bring those MP maps into SP campaign? current maps in SP are really boring and copy/pasted! what is the problem?!! the battle maps is SP are really bland for warhammer world. this game needs harsh battle maps just like MP ones. pfff

Because, as it says in the original post, the campaign maps use a different editor. We can’t release a Campaign Map Editing tool for TW:WARHAMMER, as it doesn’t exist. The way we build the campaign map at CA is through a series of processes involving a mix of tech we make and 3rd party tools we don’t own the right to distribute, within a development version of the game. This is the best way for us to create our games, and we don’t use an all-in-one editor that you might be thinking of.

While it is theoretically possible to create an editor like this, it wouldn’t benefit our development process, would take us a long time and delay the next Total War releasing and would mean that we’d be making an editor and not a game, which is what we would much rather do.
  • ErgiosErgios Posts: 137Registered Users
    Sure, many of those who focus on campaign only/mostly will be disappointed not to create self-made maps in the campaign, but I still think it is a nice new feature.

I mean, people, you get this FOR FREE and still complain? CA was never forced to create or release anything like this in the first place, they could have been like "Yeah, no, not worth the effort".
    You're all like "I get a new toy without buying it, but I want more!!!".

I too focus mostly on the campaign only, but I still think it is a nice thing to have - no idea if I am going to use it or not yet, but still a nice tool.

Your negativity won't help you get what you want.
    *I* wanted to create maps for the campaign too, but it is not going to make me hate on people who put hard work into a free tool that can be used to create great stuff.
  • Ice_creamIce_cream Posts: 666Registered Users

If is just for multiplayer is a really big disappointment. Army painter , new sieges, unit formations or things like that would be really cool (for single player too). Making so much hype just for a multiplayer thing ........

Speak for yourself, not even everybody want formations or new sieges. And nobody ask you to get hyped for this news.

what a way to annoy good news for some of us with your complaints and scorn guys.
  • gholingholin Member Posts: 898Registered Users
    edited February 2017
    Though I want Legendary Heroes, Mercenaries, Halfings, and so much more, I have no problem with this being the new feature because I'm excited for it! (Thank you so much for all things TW Warhammer, CA!)

I just wish somebody would answer my questions about pathing. I asked multiple times during the stream, and even asked here earlier if units can walk underneath things like the dwarfen archways we see in the terrain so we can build cool tunnel battles and chokepoints.

Twitch frustrates me I think. There weren't a ton of questions asked, and mine never got addressed even so. Grace, could you possibly grace me with a graceful answer to this question I've desired an answer for so much ;) pretty please?
  • TheokolesOfRomeTheokolesOfRome Senior Member The Highlands in me kilt.Posts: 1,468Registered Users
    Well my tiny little Machinima heart has just exploded.

This will be amazing for making vids, thank you.

Hopefully it's something that will carry over to the sequels?
    My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/brightbluejacket1
    Watch if you like high quality, edited and cinematic videos with informed content.
    My Rig:
    i7 4790k @ 4ghz
    1 x Titan X Pascal
    16GB 2400Mhz Ram
    1TB SSD Drive
    34" Curved Monitor 3440x1440p
  • NihilemNihilem Posts: 37Registered Users
    Oh yeah, I waited for an good Map editor since Warcraft 3! It is unfortunately that it is not possible to introduce the maps to the campaign (or edit the campaign map directly) but this is still huge for the multiplayer and "youtube" community (pixelated apollo etc). And for guys who want to create their own maps in the warhammer universe ^^.

One important question I have: Is there any kind of "prop"-limit etc? Something that limits the number of objects you can use on the map? Because if not I will definetly use your tools to create the fantasy cities of my dreams ;). Ok Siege maps or not in yet, but there are also walls as props in the game so that should still be possible. Cant wait for the scenery/showcase community to rise ;).
  • obippoobippo Member Posts: 2,219Registered Users
    Grace_CA said:

obippo said:

Grace_CA said:

obippo said:

Great, hope I can edit the weather/fog with this :)))

Not inside the battle map editor itself, and not with our Assembly Kit tools, but the community tools (Pack File Manager) can allow you to.
    Could you tell me which variant/table should i edit for that? Ive been messing with the pfm but havent been able to find the right one to remove fog. I'm looking into data-> db but didn't find the right one I think
    From what I'm told...: The environment files are in XML files and they are kinda all over the place, not really in one location, but will be in the battle maps folder
    Great will check that later, thanks
    Always be aware when a Content Refusing Troll Brigade (CRTB) representative is near. Contact your local Witch Hunter for further info.

• LangolierLangolier Junior Member Posts: 373Registered Users
    It looks awsome and the amount of differnt designs you could make with scalings is endless, would be so amazing if it would be possible to add them to campaign but I realize that if it could be done it already would have been.
    "Furthermore i believe that Carthage must be destroyed" - Cato the Elder
    "Furthermore I also believe that Chaos Dwarfs should have really big hats" - Langolier the middle aged
  • PaulHPaulH Posts: 1,084Registered Users
    edited February 2017
    Grace_CA said:

Because, as it says in the original post, the campaign maps use a different editor. We can’t release a Campaign Map Editing tool for TW:WARHAMMER, as it doesn’t exist. The way we build the campaign map at CA is through a series of processes involving a mix of tech we make and 3rd party tools we don’t own the right to distribute, within a development version of the game. This is the best way for us to create our games, and we don’t use an all-in-one editor that you might be thinking of.

While it is theoretically possible to create an editor like this, it wouldn’t benefit our development process, would take us a long time and delay the next Total War releasing and would mean that we’d be making an editor and not a game, which is what we would much rather do.
    This is my first post here. I'm really excited for the battle map editor, but its a massive blow that they can't be added to the campaign map pool yet. However, and I don't mean to be rude at all, but you didn't answer the right question. Knight_Iran asked if the official multiplayer maps made by Creative Assembly will be added to the singleplayer Grand Campaign by CA.

This is something I have wondered for some time, as there are loads of very interesting maps and they would only make the campaign vastly better than it already is.
  • tfwoods3tfwoods3 Posts: 603Registered Users
    QUESTIONS:

1. Can you do delayed waves of enemies?
    2. Entry points for these enemies?
    3. Can you decorate casualties on the map as though a battle took place before you arrive?
    4. Can you deco blood and gore on the map?
    5. Can you take control of the camera and also have text appear on screen to note events?
    PaulH said:

Grace_CA said:

This is my first post here. I'm really excited for the battle map editor, but its a massive blow that they can't be added to the campaign map pool yet. However, and I don't mean to be rude at all, but you didn't answer the right question. Knight_Iran asked if the official multiplayer maps made by Creative Assembly will be added to the singleplayer Grand Campaign by CA.

This is something I have wondered for some time, as there are loads of very interesting maps and they would only make the campaign vastly better than it already is.
    Oh, sorry - lot of questions. That's a suggestion I can pass on, as far as I know we have no plans to do that so far.
    gholin said:

Though I want Legendary Heroes, Mercenaries, Halfings, and so much more, I have no problem with this being the new feature because I'm excited for it! (Thank you so much for all things TW Warhammer, CA!)

I just wish somebody would answer my questions about pathing. I asked multiple times during the stream, and even asked here earlier if units can walk underneath things like the dwarfen archways we see in the terrain so we can build cool tunnel battles and chokepoints.

Twitch frustrates me I think. There weren't a ton of questions asked, and mine never got addressed even so. Grace, could you possibly grace me with a graceful answer to this question I've desired an answer for so much ;) pretty please?

When you place props on the map they can be walked through. You can also designate no-go areas to stop them walking through stuff.
  • OrkfaellerOrkfaeller Senior Member Posts: 2,323Registered Users
    edited February 2017
    New modding tools are allways appreciated, but as someone who doesn't play multi-player, this sadly doesn't add a whole lot to my experience -- not as long as we're unable to actually add customized maps to the campaign.

Youtubers will be most excited though.
    Grace_CA said:

PaulH said:

Grace_CA said:

Oh, sorry - lot of questions. That's a suggestion I can pass on, as far as I know we have no plans to do that so far.
    No need to apologise, I'm not surprised you're so busy :)

It's a shame that the MP maps being added to the campaign aren't in the plans at the moment, but I'm glad you'll pass along the suggestion. I think it would hugely benefit the campaign and be something a lot of campaign players will enjoy.

Thanks for answering!
    Nihilem said:

Oh yeah, I waited for an good Map editor since Warcraft 3! It is unfortunately that it is not possible to introduce the maps to the campaign (or edit the campaign map directly) but this is still huge for the multiplayer and "youtube" community (pixelated apollo etc). And for guys who want to create their own maps in the warhammer universe ^^.

One important question I have: Is there any kind of "prop"-limit etc? Something that limits the number of objects you can use on the map? Because if not I will definetly use your tools to create the fantasy cities of my dreams ;). Ok Siege maps or not in yet, but there are also walls as props in the game so that should still be possible. Cant wait for the scenery/showcase community to rise ;).

As far as I am aware there is no prop limit
  • englisharcher89englisharcher89 Senior Member Bath, UKPosts: 3,703Registered Users
    Lack of tools to edit skyboxes and lighting is kinda sad.

In Warcraft III you could do that and that was years ago.

Hope this will be added in the future.
    Vampire Counts
    Tomb Kings
    The Empire

"Surrender and serve me in life, or die and slave for me in death." - Vlad von Carstein

Lack of tools to edit skyboxes and lighting is kinda sad.

In Warcraft III you could do that and that was years ago.

Hope this will be added in the future.

This tool is at its earliest stage, even the Warcraft 3 World Editor had tonnes less functionality than it does now on first release. These things take time, I'm sure we shall see some very interesting things brought to the editor.
  • gholingholin Member Posts: 898Registered Users
    Grace_CA said:

gholin said:

When you place props on the map they can be walked through. You can also designate no-go areas to stop them walking through stuff.

Ooh. This is cool. Thanks so much Grace! Off to plot an awesome tunnel battle and a dwarf city battle...
  • UrgatUrgat Posts: 992Registered Users
    edited February 2017
    Petromir said:

Urgat said:

I understand it must be very frustrating to read criticism when you release something new like that for free, but I admit my titanic enthusiasm when I read the title of this topic fell right to the underway when I saw the maps were for custom and MP only... I had so many ideas, well, now, I can forget about them. I understand this is how it's going to stay this way, right?

They have said that more support will come if the tool is used a lot. Pretty much the only thing ruled out is editing of the campaign map itself, adding The battlemaps to the campaign map was mentioned a possibility for the future in stream.
    That's all I'm asking for. Would be nice to be able to add towns and cities to the campaign map itself, but I can live w/o that :)
    Post edited by Urgat on
  • thesniperdevilthesniperdevil Senior Member Posts: 1,929Registered Users
    Great news, super happy that our MP cousins will get some more variety!

I also hope that at some point there is a way of getting custom maps in campaign too.

Keep it up CA!
  • endurendur Posts: 2,610Registered Users
    It looks great. Hoping for more and more!
  • Knight_IranKnight_Iran Senior Member Islamic Republic of IRANPosts: 514Registered Users
    edited February 2017
    Grace_CA said:

PaulH said:

Grace_CA said:

I hope CA would do this as soon as possible! because current maps are really boring. i think Rome II and Attila maps were pretty better in variation in compare to TW:W! maps really need a good plan to be look like more harsh. simplest way is to put those great maps of MP into SP all over the map! otherwise, i personally would be disappointed with these types of maps in second game and New World! seeing great maps in MP and nothing in SP!
    In the first game,

Team Empire ---> Finished
    Team Greenskins ---> Finished
    Team Vampire Counts ---> Finished
    Now waiting for second game!

" The only good stunty is a dead stunty. and the only thing better than a dead stunty is a dyin' stunty who tells yer where to find 'is mates. " - Morglum Necksnapper

F0dgpS1.jpg
  • Mr_Finley7Mr_Finley7 Junior Member Posts: 3,384Registered Users
    Disappointed we can't use it in campaign, but it was nice for them to give it to us all the same. Hopefully well have the ability to make maps for single players eventually
  • Horus168Horus168 Posts: 577Registered Users
    Bit of a shame this is MP only.
    I was hoping the map editor would let Moddersl improve how limited vanguard deployment is in the GC currently. ...
  • ITA_Vae_VictisITA_Vae_Victis Senior Member ItalyPosts: 1,566Registered Users
    If this tool gets popular enough and modders create some widely appreciated and lore-consistent maps, do you think it will be possible, in some future, for you to hold a contest or something where you pick some of them and make them "official" within the game, adding them to the Grand Campaign as well? To me, this seems the best solution for everybody.
  • AnelikitalAnelikital Senior Member Posts: 214Registered Users
    Whoa this is so cool :D