Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

We're introducing Battle Map Editing! Find out more here

Comments

• CrajohCrajoh Member Posts: 1,074Registered Users
    edited February 2017
    Great for the MP which unfortunately I don't do due to lag. But it could be interesting making my own battlefields, I might have to try some custom battles. Thanks CA.
    "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." Evelyn Beatrice Hall
  • ArgonArgon Senior Member ItalyPosts: 1,428Registered Users

If this tool gets popular enough and modders create some widely appreciated and lore-consistent maps, do you think it will be possible, in some future, for you to hold a contest or something where you pick some of them and make them "official" within the game, adding them to the Grand Campaign as well? To me, this seems the best solution for everybody.

That's what I meant! :)
    My favorite factions in TW titles:
    Rome 1 - House of Julii
    Medieval 2 - Milan
    Empire - England
    Napoleon - France
    Shogun 2 - Tokugawa
    Rome 2 - Macedon
    Attila - Western Roman Empire
    Warhammer - Empire (Karl Franz)
  • wasdawasda Posts: 10Registered Users
    Multi-player lives and dies by the availability of custom maps. Whilst I don't play MP myself, I look forward to creating some custom battles for me to fiddle with. Haven't had time to watch the stream yet but of there's a way community maps are reviewed and added to the official map pool it will greatly improve the long term multi-player community pool.

I would really really like to able to integrate these into the campaigns somehow but I understand the complexity behind this and why it would be a headache.

And for **** sake people. This is free and people are whinging? Muppets!
  • NeverBackDownNeverBackDown Senior Member Posts: 1,627Registered Users
    So much crying. If you don't like it that sucks. Move on.
    Some of us enjoy this stuff. Let us enjoy it.
  • jamreal18jamreal18 Senior Member Posts: 8,078Registered Users
    edited February 2017
    Grace_CA said:

• Live map transfer in multiplayer. Simply host a game with a custom map and other players will download it automatically without the need to subscribe on the workshop. The maps will be deleted after the battle (unless subscribed to in the workshop or manually placed in the game data folder)
    • Share maps via steam workshop and subscribe to your favourites. Having maps enabled will not affect your ability to join multiplayer games.

I love these... I can join everyone's battles without hassle...
  • CanuoveaCanuovea Posts: 10,550Registered Users, Moderators
    This looks pretty good for Custom and Multiplayer. This is awesome. Those of us, like myself, who rarely play either haven't lost anything and we can still look forward to some cool custom content.

I would, however, be totally hyped if CA were to perhaps, eventually, down the line, hold contests for certain types of maps. Bridge battles, for instance, with the winners actually having their maps introduced into the campaign (after testing, of course). If not totally officially, with some kind of optional map pack DLC/FLC (I'd pay money). Perhaps choose a slice of the land or a spot on the campaign map as the inspiration for these competitions. You could call it the "Custom Cartography Community Contest!" Seriously, take that name for free, don't even need to give me a shout out if you do.

Now, @Grace_CA this is a suggestion I would very much like to see passed on. It would (presumably) cost very little, galvanize the mod/map making community, and improve the game but with quality control as an option.
    -Forum Terms and Conditions: https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest
    -Using all caps is the equivalent of shouting. Please don't.
  • glenbrutonglenbruton Senior Member Posts: 246Registered Users
    Canuovea said:

I would, however, be totally hyped if CA were to perhaps, eventually, down the line, hold contests for certain types of maps. Bridge battles, for instance, with the winners actually having their maps introduced into the campaign (after testing, of course). If not totally officially, with some kind of optional map pack DLC/FLC (I'd pay money). Perhaps choose a slice of the land or a spot on the campaign map as the inspiration for these competitions. You could call it the "Custom Cartography Community Contest!" Seriously, take that name for free, don't even need to give me a shout out if you do.

Now, @Grace_CA this is a suggestion I would very much like to see passed on. It would (presumably) cost very little, galvanize the mod/map making community, and improve the game but with quality control as an option.

Now this would be sweet! Anything to get more maps into the grand campaign.
    Warhammer: Total War. I would buy the heck out of it.
  • BlickMangBlickMang Posts: 1Registered Users
    I'm the project leader of the Seven Kingdoms: Total War mod for Attila.

I'm not naive to the pressures of commercial game development nor should this message be interpreted as accusatory given the circumstances, but I feel justified in voicing my disappointment at the lack of support for functioning development tools. Mods are the foundation of a loyal community (read: custom base), and providing third-party developers with a comprehensive set of tools to create this foundation benefits not only the players within the community, but the studios and publishers that rely on consistent revenue to develop new titles. Mods attract new players, and new players purchase new titles.

I realize the specifics of releasing campaign tools are infinitely more complex than described here, but all the same, the lack of proactive support for mod developers in so many critical areas (compare this to Bohemia Interactive and other studios) is a major disappointment.

From a purely commercial standpoint, I hope CA reconsiders this approach.

BM
  • ShiodomeShiodome Posts: 7Registered Users
    edited February 2017
    hello, really excited to start making some cool maps, but i'm getting 'Beta access code invalid' using 'fjesij4issfgwse30s334'. any suggestions?

edit: actually don't mind me, i was being dumb. looking forward to getting stuck in! :D
  • ElivarasElivaras Posts: 60Registered Users

Wasn't exactly sure where to post this, but since it relates to multiplayer I figured I'd post it here. I'm having an issue with the map editor. The first map I made worked fine, I could go on and play it no problem. But for some reason, the second map I have made is not working properly. I save and export it fine, but when I go to view it in map selection for custom matches, the little preview screen of the map is just static. Gray, white, and black particles. This was not the case for the first map I made. I then go into the game, and it takes an unusually long time to load. Upon loading in, the map looks fine, and I can move the camera around fine- except for one small issue. All of my units are frozen in place, and I can't interact with any of the buttons on the menu. Basically, the only thing I can do is move the camera, and I have to alt + f4 to get out. I have no idea why this is happening, since the first map I made was fine! Which map file should I attach so you can take a look at it? I tried to upload the .terry file but it was invalid. Thanks for any and all help,

~Elivaras

• JollyRogeroJollyRogero Member Posts: 640Registered Users
    edited February 2017
    Been toying around with this editor - lots of fun and good stuff to use. Thanks CA! Time to make a battle map outside the walls of a massive mountain Karak.
  • Melkor88Melkor88 Junior Member Posts: 4Registered Users
    So I have spent hours building a map, and it will not export, it comes up with this:

TerryTile / Process Terry tile (heightmap) (c:/program files (x86)/steam/steamapps/common/total war warhammer/assembly_kit/raw_data/terrain/tiles/battle/_assembly_kit/4738e8b2_954f_4513_90a7_04eb05ba2609/) ===
    ERROR: Failed to load height map mesh file 'c:/program files (x86)/steam/steamapps/common/total war warhammer/assembly_kit/raw_data/art/terrain_props/river_assets/wh_river_banks_01.cs2'.
    Conversion of terrain tile failed.

If anyone can help me fix it, I would be very grateful, as I really want to give this map a go.
    Thanks
  • JacklessJackless Junior Member Posts: 281Registered Users
    Grace_CA said:

Oh, sorry - lot of questions. That's a suggestion I can pass on, as far as I know we have no plans to do that so far.

Yes Grace, please pass this on. There are so many beautiful maps for custom battles! Adding these to the campaign map pool would HUGELY improve the battles and replayability of the campaign.

If you have read the Suggestion Forum lately you should have seen this map Topic popping up frequently.

This should be at the very top of your list ;-)
  • MoritasgusMoritasgus Posts: 744Registered Users
    Wrong forum this should go in bugs for the Devs to see.
    Sounds like you should try deleting the wh_river_banks_01 asset from your map and try exporting it then.
    Either way its a beta so stuff like this will happen.
  • EmperatorEmperator Posts: 69Registered Users
    Even though i don't play TW games on multiplayer, i appreciate the work CA is putting into this game. Hopefully people who multiplayer battles enjoy this kit. Looking forward to Bretonnia at the end of this month.
    Summon the Elector Counts!
  • Grace_CAGrace_CA Creative Assembly Posts: 777Registered Users, Moderators, Administrators, CA Staff Mods, CA Staff, Community Team
    BlickMang said:

I'm the project leader of the Seven Kingdoms: Total War mod for Attila.

I'm not naive to the pressures of commercial game development nor should this message be interpreted as accusatory given the circumstances, but I feel justified in voicing my disappointment at the lack of support for functioning development tools. Mods are the foundation of a loyal community (read: custom base), and providing third-party developers with a comprehensive set of tools to create this foundation benefits not only the players within the community, but the studios and publishers that rely on consistent revenue to develop new titles. Mods attract new players, and new players purchase new titles.

I realize the specifics of releasing campaign tools are infinitely more complex than described here, but all the same, the lack of proactive support for mod developers in so many critical areas (compare this to Bohemia Interactive and other studios) is a major disappointment.

From a purely commercial standpoint, I hope CA reconsiders this approach.

BM

This is something that we look at - we spend a lot of time talking to modders about what would help them.

For example, during the 2016 mod summit in November, the development manager behind the web team discussed with the modders the features they most want to see from a new mod manager / launcher.
    I won't go too in depth with what was discussed, but the guys that have the most mods, care about load orders and grouping and even version control for incompatibilities were talked about. The web team are working towards creating a new launcher but there's no finite date on it yet. But it will happen.
  • KopeshKopesh Member Posts: 501Registered Users
    This looks interesting. Battle map editing is a great addition.
  • DurkBurkDurkBurk Posts: 4Registered Users
    hey i've got a problem. the code isnt working and when i launch the kit is just takes me to its folders. i got windows 10 and own warhammer. i've copy and pasted the code, and typed it in.
  • WalashWalash Posts: 317Registered Users
    This could really get me into MP! Great job!
  • GwydionGwydion Senior Member Posts: 2,073Registered Users
    There is no way to add these maps to the campaign map?

Really? What a waste.

I understand that we can't edit the warhammer grand campaign map. Thats fine....

But we can add BATTLE maps to the campaign map so that when we fight we can use our maps we make in single player?

When your games FOCUS is single player.

Sorry to be rude, but this seems like a waste until we can add the maps we ( or others) make into the grand campaign.
    PLEASE CA!!! Chaos Warriors need a faction that is not horde only by the time the trilogy is finished! We beg of you!

Just Realized this topic has been viewed more, the topic of " Limiting Race Expansion/ Colonization Expansion" alone than more than half of the stickied things at the top of the forum... I hope you are too CA and I mean that in a positive way from a huge fan!

Please improve sieges! Add racial flavor and ACTUALLY make them "deeper rather than wide" copy and paste with different art needs to go!
  • GwydionGwydion Senior Member Posts: 2,073Registered Users

This tool is only cool for MP and custom battles and really useless to SP players. please do something for us too! please answer this question CA:

why don't you bring those MP maps into SP campaign? current maps in SP are really boring and copy/pasted! what is the problem?!! the battle maps is SP are really bland for warhammer world. this game needs harsh battle maps just like MP ones. pfff

this
    PLEASE CA!!! Chaos Warriors need a faction that is not horde only by the time the trilogy is finished! We beg of you!

Just Realized this topic has been viewed more, the topic of " Limiting Race Expansion/ Colonization Expansion" alone than more than half of the stickied things at the top of the forum... I hope you are too CA and I mean that in a positive way from a huge fan!

Please improve sieges! Add racial flavor and ACTUALLY make them "deeper rather than wide" copy and paste with different art needs to go!
  • FoxerinoHDFoxerinoHD Posts: 0Registered Users
    Sorry for posting this thread here but there's no specific zone for it, I have a problem exporting my map here is the log:

=== Vegetation / Prepare Generation Data (c:/games/steam/steamapps/common/total war warhammer/assembly_kit/raw_data/terrain/tiles/battle/_assembly_kit/04aefadd_1c4b_442f_bc42_d8b422c0ed01/) ===
    Preparing vegetation data for: c:/games/steam/steamapps/common/total war warhammer/assembly_kit/raw_data/terrain/tiles/battle/_assembly_kit/04aefadd_1c4b_442f_bc42_d8b422c0ed01/ ...
    Error: : Could not find prefab for key 'dwf_underway_lava_fall_01'
    Error: : Could not find prefab for key 'dwf_underway_lava_pile_01'
    Error: : Could not find prefab for key 'dwf_underway_lava_fall_01'
    Error: : Could not find prefab for key 'dwf_underway_lava_pile_01'

=====================================
    Duration: 359 msec(s)

• swizzlewizzleswizzlewizzle Posts: 14Registered Users
    Don't understand why there was so much initial negativity surrounding this announcement. Games Workshop is being very aggressive with CA in terms of forcing the game to conform to the IP so it shouldn't be a surprise that the dev team wouldn't want to waste their time on an editor for the SP map when changing it to pretty much any other map would involve significant divergence from the WH IP.

Thanks for this update CA, even if it's restricted to MP/CB (though it would be nice if the maps could be sowed into the campaign as I thought that maps were semi-randomly chosen anyways? Don't need to touch the actual overworld map to add battle maps, no?)

Here's hoping to model importing in the near future. :)
  • GoelGoel Junior Member Posts: 4Registered Users
    edited February 2017

Don't understand why there was so much initial negativity surrounding this announcement. Games Workshop is being very aggressive with CA in terms of forcing the game to conform to the IP so it shouldn't be a surprise that the dev team wouldn't want to waste their time on an editor for the SP map when changing it to pretty much any other map would involve significant divergence from the WH IP.

Thanks for this update CA, even if it's restricted to MP/CB (though it would be nice if the maps could be sowed into the campaign as I thought that maps were semi-randomly chosen anyways? Don't need to touch the actual overworld map to add battle maps, no?)

Here's hoping to model importing in the near future. :)

I can't speak for anyone but myself here, but my negativity/disappointment comes from the fact that I use 95+% of my time in Single Player, and the most generic thing about the current Total War iteration is the battle maps (imo) especially siege maps or the lack thereof (villages), which are so incredibly bland and streamlined because otherwise the AI can't figure them out.

Which leads to the annoying prospect of me only playing ½-1 campaign and then I go play medieval 2 mods or something, because after 1 campaign I am so fed up with TWW, because you can only enjoy playing the same siege map skin with texture overlay for so long, especially when they are so small and simple.

On the other hand, now CA has fixed this issue for people playing the Multiplayer, no longer will people online have to play these insanely boring copy&paste sieges, because of (what I could imagine would be) a very arbitrary point regarding AI problems from their POV, if all you do is play against other human players.

Personally I can't wait for the possible implementation of this into the Single Player, always found the AI argument kind of irrelevant, because at the end of the day I would rather have had some of the iconic cities of the old world represented as such and live with minor AI hiccups, instead of the current scheme where all cities are just carbon copies of everything else. So much for the many stories you can read about the different fortresses and cities in the Warhammer Fantasy Lore.

The dream of seeing proper maps for some of the iconic cities like: Castle L'Anguille, Marienburg, Middenheim, Talabheim etc. etc. is more than just a dream at this point with a new editor, I just hope to implement them into the campaign someday.

At any rate this is a step in the right direction and I commend CA on improving the quality of life for their MP crowd and I'm sure more of the youtubers, will be covering TWW now that there's a possibility for more maps than the standard ones, especially when we can soon see non-generic siege maps soon.

TLDR: Nice editor CA, hope to see it in SP someday.

• lifeplaylifeplay Posts: 1Registered Users
    Can you make a Editor for Units?
  • Hawx04Hawx04 Posts: 17Registered Users
    Great news, already creating maps, I saw the map is saved as a "Land Battle" map, is there a way to make it work for sieges, and can we put towers, gates etc aviable for the defender somehow?
  • KingofJordanKingofJordan Posts: 1Registered Users
    Hey, I really like Terry but for some reason I cant play more than a one v one on multiplayer, even though I've got it set to max four players a side. When I try to play it with 3+ people it just starts to load a different map.
  • massimassi Posts: 2Registered Users
    edited February 2017
    I cant export my map in the editor which is really frustrating after using 10+ hours on it
    When i export it starts and then midway says "process failed. click here for details" Only problem being nothing happens when i click anything...........

The most annoying thing is just that i can't even see whats wrong so i can fix it
    Someone know a way around this?
  • UrgatUrgat Posts: 992Registered Users
    I guess I'm lucky, I tried my hand at a map (yeah... I'm a sucker for world building), I got like three dozen errors, and yet it exports and plays with no problem whatsoever :smiley:
    Ah, no excepted for the campaign map props. Dunno if it's a "feature" or a bug with my map, the game ignores those, so I had to redo a mountain range completely.
  • bennymclbennymcl Senior Member Montreal, CanadaPosts: 2,790Registered Users
    no one ever checks the mod forum here so just a quick question. Has anyone else gotten height map errors when trying to export before with Terry? PM me please if you have.. frustrating haha