Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Bretonnia – Campaign Let’s Play

Comments

• krunshkrunsh Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 3,693
    edited February 2017
    Tayvar said:

krunsh said:

Tayvar said:

Tayvar said:

The funny french accent from Medieval II: Total War is back, I like it. :)

Oh yes I love the Voice Actors for Bretonnia units, wish I could say the same for the Empire, they should have German accents just like in Company of Heroes II if you played it, or like in Medieval II Holy Roman Empire sound really nice.
    Then who would have english accent?
    The Greenskins.
    Okey, but they still need an human faction that would speech in british accent, and I don't think that CA would waste their time on changing it. Warhammer: Mark of Chaos also had an british accents for the Empire troops. Also if you think of it, british accents replacing german accents, makes more sense then british accents replacing roman accents, the native british are an anglo-saxons after all.
    Need? Why? I personnaly don't care much for them not have the german accent, but it would be more fitting and there definitely isn't a "need" for any specific accents to exist. If anything, Brettonia would be fine with an english accent rather than french as they are based on a mix of french and english medieval tales.

The Empire is not.
    i5-3550 CPU @ 3.30GHz
    Geforce gtx 970
    16gb ram

Team Skaven
  • TayvarTayvar Registered Users Posts: 12,290
    krunsh said:

Tayvar said:

krunsh said:

Tayvar said:

Tayvar said:

Oh yes I love the Voice Actors for Bretonnia units, wish I could say the same for the Empire, they should have German accents just like in Company of Heroes II if you played it, or like in Medieval II Holy Roman Empire sound really nice.
    The Greenskins.
    Okey, but they still need an human faction that would speech in british accent, and I don't think that CA would waste their time on changing it. Warhammer: Mark of Chaos also had an british accents for the Empire troops. Also if you think of it, british accents replacing german accents, makes more sense then british accents replacing roman accents, the native british are an anglo-saxons after all.
    Need? Why? I personally don't care much for them not have the german accent, but it would be more fitting and there definitely isn't a "need" for any specific accents to exist. If anything, Brettonia would be fine with an english accent rather than french as they are based on a mix of french and english medieval tales.
    Well the Empire already have the english accent, so CA decided to give Bretonnia an french accent, also Bretonnia is more french then english anyway. It's likely has something to do with the fact the the Empire is the main human faction in this game. And we still don't know how the french accents are going to compare to the english accents, as it's sure easier for CA to work with english accents.
  • capybarasiesta89capybarasiesta89 Senior Member Bath, UKRegistered Users Posts: 4,884
    edited February 2017
    Tayvar said:

krunsh said:

Tayvar said:

Tayvar said:

The Greenskins.
    Bretonnia Men at arms, lowborn in general have English feel to them, especially archers and polearm that look like billmen.

Knights and nobility is suppose to be French speaking high class. While lower class of feudal society are English in this faction.

During for example Hundred years war, all Archers, Levies, Billmen were commoners.

Some English nobility was also french/norman descended with surnames like de Montfort, Beauchamp.
    Vampire Counts
    Tomb Kings
    The Empire

"Surrender and serve me in life, or die and slave for me in death." - Vlad von Carstein
    HoneyBun said:

Tayvar said:

krunsh said:

Tayvar said:

krunsh said:

Tayvar said:

Tayvar said:

The Greenskins.
    Need? Why? I personally don't care much for them not have the german accent, but it would be more fitting and there definitely isn't a "need" for any specific accents to exist. If anything, Brettonia would be fine with an english accent rather than french as they are based on a mix of french and english medieval tales.
    Well the Empire already have the english accent, so CA decided to give Bretonnia an french accent, also Bretonnia is more french then english anyway. It's likely has something to do with the fact the the Empire is the main human faction in this game. And we still don't know how the french accents are going to compare to the english accents, as it's sure easier for CA to work with english accents.
    Empire are Germans.

Bretonnia are as good as French. Norman if you prefer. The peasants are English. But that's why Bretonnia feels so old and 'of the past'.

But for modern England. Well..

Dwarfs are English. High Elves are English. That reflects our society. Two peoples, united in contempt for each other who will instantly unite the moment they are faced with an external threat.

By voice I am High Elf. But I understand the Dwarfs. Understanding them is in my nature. If I walk in to their bar then I know they will react. If they walk in to mine (which is much nicer) then so would I. But I would fight for them - as they would fight for me.

Orcs are English. Just don't expect me to admit it.
    Well CA and GW are English too, still my main point is that it's make sense that CA gave the Empire english accents, but it's nice that they gave Bretonnia some french accents, but it don't make me expect that CA would give the Empire german accents.
  • GunKingGunKing Registered Users Posts: 622
    Arsenic said:

Tayvar said:

Then who would have english accent? Albion is not likely to be playable. Also it's common for english to replace romans and german in the media, just look for the Queen's Latin trope. :)

Orcs and Goblins have the accent of London's East-End, the Dwarves speak with Northern English accents, and the Wood Elves speak with Received Pronunciation, although judging by the province names they ought to sound Welsh if anything.

Willing to bet the High Elves will be RP turned up to 11, too.
    Hope so! Also hope for DE that CA goes somewhere along the lines for Dark Eldar from Dawn of War. All the VA from that game was just superb but I loved how vicious/arrogant they made the DE sound, how they spoke much quicker than the Eldar, like the voice itself was as serrated as their armor.
    GunKing said:

Arsenic said:

Tayvar said:

Then who would have english accent? Albion is not likely to be playable. Also it's common for english to replace romans and german in the media, just look for the Queen's Latin trope. :)

Orcs and Goblins have the accent of London's East-End, the Dwarves speak with Northern English accents, and the Wood Elves speak with Received Pronunciation, although judging by the province names they ought to sound Welsh if anything.

Willing to bet the High Elves will be RP turned up to 11, too.
    Hope so! Also hope for DE that CA goes somewhere along the lines for Dark Eldar from Dawn of War. All the VA from that game was just superb but I loved how vicious/arrogant they made the DE sound, how they spoke much quicker than the Eldar, like the voice itself was as serrated as their armor.
    It would be nice, but Creative Assembly are not known for their voice actors as well as Relic Entertainment, so it's hard to expect that the Dark Elves would get the level of dubbing as their Dark Eldar counterparts, but a man can dream. :)
  • dge1dge1 Moderator Arkansas, USARegistered Users, Moderators, Knights Posts: 21,696
    The only accent that needs to be emphasized here is the thread topic - the Bretonnia campaign let's play. Let's refocus on that. Thanks.
    "The two most common things in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity." - Harlan Ellison
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." - Hubert H. Humphrey
    "Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin/Mark Twain
    “Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.”–George Santayana, The Life of Reason, 1905.

• ArsenicArsenic Registered Users Posts: 6,451
    Well done, you've killed a mildly interesting discussion.
    "Ours is a world of fleeting glory. But it is glory, nonetheless."
  • LaindeshLaindesh Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 3,642
    Looks like fun, loving the chivalry mechanic also loving the new units.

Bit unsure how i feel about Vows though. So not only do i have to get the buildings, but my lords have to get the vows to unlock the high tier knight units? Sounds interesting, but also limiting. Kinda like how WoC works atm and we all know it's meh for them.

Then again they arent restricted by economy and growth like WoC.

Technology is super, i get bonuses while making a race hate me? i dont mind! sounds fun actually. Get advantages and wipe them out. genocide here i come!

• NazjaxNazjax Registered Users Posts: 947
    Santobubu said:

The joke about awful French accent is out of tone, please remove this.

I am however thanking you for the video, much appreciated.

Im french and i really love this mecanic, it is really funny and give a good part to the Bretonnia campaign, without it will be less epic at my opinion.

Parce que le français c'est beau !
    Aryndelin said:

Bit unsure how i feel about Vows though. So not only do i have to get the buildings, but my lords have to get the vows to unlock the high tier knight units? Sounds interesting, but also limiting. Kinda like how WoC works atm and we all know it's meh for them.

Yes the coming back of the Chivalry Mechanic and the new Detailed Traits looks like the best additions. The need to have an Knight's Vow to make recruiting Knights valuable, is looks controversial, especially considering that the Female/Caster Lords should not be able to take Knight's Vow, so this new mechanic might end up doing more harm then good, almost like Amber Mechanic.
  • SetrusSetrus Senior Member SwedenRegistered Users Posts: 18,714
    Tayvar said:

Aryndelin said:

Yes the coming back of the Chivalry Mechanic and the new Detailed Traits looks like the best additions. The need to have an Knight's Vow to make recruiting Knights valuable, is looks controversial, especially considering that the Female/Caster Lords should not be able to take Knight's Vow, so this new mechanic might end up doing more harm then good, almost like Amber Mechanic.
    From the steam page, I don't think you should worry.

Don't worry.
  • ChukchataChukchata Registered Users Posts: 901
    Overall, I enjoyed this a lot, but something really bugs me. Why does Bretonnia have Tier 4 infantry barracks, especially considering that the last 2 tiers have only one unit and the T3 one - men at arms with polearms - is hardly all that great? I get that Bretonnia is not supposed to be focusing on infantry, so the extra tier strikes me as both unwarranted and somewhat of a trap. Wouldn't it make more sense to compress the chain to 3 tiers? Men at arms are already (correctly) slightly inferior and cheaper halberdiers.

Land is Kislev, Kislev is Land! We are Kislev!

Proud Elspeth von Draken partisan
  • TheBraveKnightTheBraveKnight Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,659
    Santobubu said:

The joke about awful French accent is out of tone, please remove this.

I am however thanking you for the video, much appreciated.

I agree because the Brett voice acting is awesome not awful!

I would love for the Empire to share the HRE's VA from Medieval 2.
    Current Top 3 Total War List

1) Thrones of Britannia - Art style, soundtrack, aging portraits, sieges, politics, and trait system!
    (Prob 3 Kingdoms after I invest more hours. Awesome awesome game!)

2) Warhammer 2 - Eye of the Vortex

3) Shogun 2

Honorable mentions - Medieval 1

• DalakhDalakh Senior Member FranceRegistered Users Posts: 1,937
    Setrus said:

Tayvar said:

Aryndelin said:

No, what he is saying is that it makes no sense for Prophetesses and the Fay to have Vows.
    "We shall strike down our foes with sharp steel and cold hearts. The weak die so that the strong prevail and none shall be spared. Then and only then will our enemies know the true meaning of fear."

— Malekith, Witch King of Naggaroth
  • StephinceStephince Registered Users Posts: 2,772
    Maybe not but if they don't they will struggle to field cavalry. As always, it's the players choice as to which skills they take and how they play. Maybe I will try to play these characters 'cavalry light' and see how it works.
  • oliverpmasonoliverpmason Registered Users Posts: 1,441
    Stephince said:

Maybe not but if they don't they will struggle to field cavalry. As always, it's the players choice as to which skills they take and how they play. Maybe I will try to play these characters 'cavalry light' and see how it works.

I'm guessing not well. Especially with the peasant cap.
  • StephinceStephince Registered Users Posts: 2,772
    Challenge accepted!
    Dalakh said:

Setrus said:

Tayvar said:

Aryndelin said:

No, what he is saying is that it makes no sense for Prophetesses and the Fay to have Vows.
    True, the Fay Enchantress and the Prophetesses having an Knight's Vows makes this whole mechanic silly. Of course Chivalrous Knight still can fight to protect an Lady, but it's not for the same reasons that he would fight for/with an Fellow Knight. I would had expect that the Prophetesses skills for Knights maintenance would be based around the Lady and Knight Trope and/or based around her religious symbolism, while the Fay Enchantress skills for Knights maintenance should be purity based around her religious symbolism.
  • Filthy_man_thingFilthy_man_thing Registered Users Posts: 474
    Tayvar said:

Dalakh said:

Setrus said:

Tayvar said:

Aryndelin said:

True, the Fay Enchantress and the Prophetesses having an Knight's Vows makes this whole mechanic silly. Of course Chivalrous Knight still can fight to protect an Lady, but it's not for the same reasons that he would fight for/with an Fellow Knight. I would had expect that the Prophetesses skills for Knights maintenance would be based around the Lady and Knight Trope and/or based around her religious symbolism, while the Fay Enchantress skills for Knights maintenance should be purity based around her religious symbolism.
    It had me scratching my head as well....buuuuut, honestly, it makes very little difference. CA could have given the Prophetess Lords (and the Enchantress) the same vow skills (which I imagine they have too, to go with this `super upkeep unless you have them` theme) and just used a different name. Of course, doing that would placate us lore guys from the TT, but might confuse players who aren;t so up on the lore. "Why the heck are there two skills in my army that do the same thing? What's the difference?"

Meh, it works :-) Maybe we can just look at it as not so much her TAKING the vow, as much as gathering retainers/sending out a rallying cry/any other number of reasons that she's now able to gather an army full of Knights with the appropriate vow :-)
  • CanuoveaCanuovea Registered Users, Moderators Posts: 15,289
    I see it more as a sign that Knights of that Vow Level are willing to flock to her cause than her having that vow herself.
    -Forum Terms and Conditions: https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest
    -New Rules: https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/287645/new-forum-rules#latest
    -Rules FAQ: https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/287650/total-war-forum-faq#latest
    -Using all caps is the equivalent of shouting. Please don't.
    -5.7 Summon a moderator if someone seems to be out of line, or use the report button. Do NOT become another party to misbehaviour
  • KonrakKonrak Registered Users Posts: 6
    CA_Whelan said:

And as Total War Access players you can start your Bretonnian playthrough on the 27th

Good day!
    So it is 27 already.. Can you tell us, please, how exactly we can got this amazing Bretonnian DLC? =)

• CA_WhelanCA_Whelan Registered Users, Moderators, Administrators, CA Staff, Community Team Posts: 681
    Konrak said:

CA_Whelan said:

And as Total War Access players you can start your Bretonnian playthrough on the 27th

Good day!
    So it is 27 already.. Can you tell us, please, how exactly we can got this amazing Bretonnian DLC? =)

It goes live at 4pm GMT, you'll have access via your dashboard
  • PetromirPetromir Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,156

Tayvar said:

krunsh said:

Tayvar said:

Tayvar said:

The Greenskins.
    Bretonnia Men at arms, lowborn in general have English feel to them, especially archers and polearm that look like billmen.

Knights and nobility is suppose to be French speaking high class. While lower class of feudal society are English in this faction.

During for example Hundred years war, all Archers, Levies, Billmen were commoners.

Some English nobility was also french/norman descended with surnames like de Montfort, Beauchamp.
    CA_Whelan said:

Konrak said:

CA_Whelan said:

Good day!

Anything you can tell us about it briefly appearing early.
  • KonrakKonrak Registered Users Posts: 6
    CA_Whelan said:

Konrak said:

CA_Whelan said:

Good day!

hm, feel myself silly but can not found it.. already download in steam, but at the dashboard i can see only 3 things: the wallpaper, digital extras and ebook.

• OttoLeafOttoLeaf Registered Users Posts: 1
    how to get it early
    Konrak said:

CA_Whelan said:

Konrak said:

CA_Whelan said:

Good day!

hm, feel myself silly but can not found it.. already download in steam, but at the dashboard i can see only 3 things: the wallpaper, digital extras and ebook.

Been technical issues with the early access it would appear.
  • AraAra Registered Users Posts: 6
    Can someone tell me why I dont have any key or so in my "inventory" to play with Bretonnia? I already had this account, but I don't have access to play with 'em...
    Ara said:

Can someone tell me why I dont have any key or so in my "inventory" to play with Bretonnia? I already had this account, but I don't have access to play with 'em...

There is a technical issue at CA thats preventing it from appearing.
  • BruttusBruttus Member Registered Users Posts: 74
    So, is it again like Rome2? Making every1 hyped up for a release, and on the moment itself, it fails?