Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Versus Campaign Brett vs Welf/VC

DanielatarDanielatar Registered Users Posts: 31
Hi,

After the patch and Brett complete I'm starting a versus campaign with a pal.

He will be brett and I'm pondering between Orion/welves or Manny/VC.
Now the question that remains is which might fare better against Bretonnias "balanced" and quite flexible army with superior cav in either case.

I'm somewhat unsure how welves will fare since the wild riders don't seem to pack enough punch compared to formation cav of brett. Also the risk of ranged being stomped is high. All in all I just don't know and thus I ask what do the rest of you think?

Any theories? Opinions?

Comments

• FlyingWarPigWithPawsFlyingWarPigWithPaws Registered Users Posts: 871
    Definitly VC. Bretonnia has superior cav and can easily kill WE archers.
    #TzeentchLivesMatter

• FifthOfSpaghettiFifthOfSpaghetti Registered Users Posts: 1,636
    VC so you don't have to worry about cav sneaking in and killing your squishy archers. Just have plenty of spears instead of skelly swords or Greatsword infantry and you're all good
  • DanielatarDanielatar Registered Users Posts: 31

Definitly VC. Bretonnia has superior cav and can easily kill WE archers.

That makes me wonder, how do you exactly counter bretonnia with welves unless battling in a forest?

Orion buffs their troops really well and will maybe make brett infantry look like garbage but same should go for cav in bretts favor.

I mean I'd love to play with welves but just wonder if it will be a constant uphill since the matches beyond forests favors Bretonnia so heavily.

VC so you don't have to worry about cav sneaking in and killing your squishy archers. Just have plenty of spears instead of skelly swords or Greatsword infantry and you're all good

Especailly if I just go "Vlad to see you" which will weaken their artillery advantage considerably.

Seems very simple what as VC I'd do but then welves sheez.
  • StephinceStephince Registered Users Posts: 3,295
    VC but as Vlad and Izzy
    Stephince said:

VC but as Vlad and Izzy

Any army comp suggestions? Something to avoid beyond the useless coach and losergheist?

I'm very sceptic about the black coach still since it usually just gets stuck, surrounded and killed.
    Terrorgheist will be flying hippo meal at best it seems so thats out.

Do black knights fare at all good?
  • EmarthEmarth Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 401
    edited February 2017
    Wood Elves with their crazy campaign buffs and great anti large units will be more than a match against Bretonnia. Just park some spear wardancers behind your archers and have a good spear and treekin front line and you should be good. Dont try to match brett cav. Just make sure to zone them out and kill them with ranged.

VC is too far away for a good VS campaign and they struggle vs heavy cav anyway until you can get blood knights.
  • endurstonehelmendurstonehelm Registered Users Posts: 4,189
    edited February 2017
    They both sound interesting.

1) VC vs. Bretonnians would be a war with the empire in the middle. VC is obviously mad at how Bretonnian's King has been treating Mousillion, and VC plan to either rescue Mousillion or seek revenge. So this would be a war for control of most of the human map.

2) Wood Elves vs. Bretonnia: If the human player selects the Fay Enchantress and the Wood Elf player selects Orion, this would be a very fast vs. campaign, since the two start adjacent and at war. Fast and furious.

If playing VC, definitely consider Isabella or Ghorst.

• GallandrGallandr Registered Users Posts: 105
    We can confederate, yes? So if you would get Moussilon in time, you have got a very nice war on your hands )
  • persons_unknownpersons_unknown Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 21
    I would vote wood elves they have a lot of spear armed infantry, you are close enough to keep tabs on him/strike where he is weak yet he will have a hard time attacking your home base.

You have the forest paths for surprise attacks deep into his territory can raze it at huge gain to yourself and cost to him. My first move would be to take out the Crooked moon and take over those lands as it is hard for any of the bret factions to retaliate there.
    endur said:

They both sound interesting.

1) VC vs. Bretonnians would be a war with the empire in the middle. VC is obviously mad at how Bretonnian's King has been treating Mousillion, and VC plan to either rescue Mousillion or seek revenge. So this would be a war for control of most of the human map.

2) Wood Elves vs. Bretonnia: If the human player selects the Fay Enchantress and the Wood Elf player selects Orion, this would be a very fast vs. campaign, since the two start adjacent and at war. Fast and furious.

If playing VC, definitely consider Isabella or Ghorst.

The Bretonnian player will use Bretonnia/Leoncour and not Carcassone or Bourdelaux.
    So either way there's space between. We tend to be somewhat mediocre aggressive and usually build up until we wage war thoroughly but the Welves could change that since so close by.

I will never use Ghorst or Kemmler ^^ necromancers are there to clean the boots and maintain the corpses not to rule. Isabella does sound nice, either her or Vlad I guess if I go the VC route.
    Gallandr said:

We can confederate, yes? So if you would get Moussilon in time, you have got a very nice war on your hands )

I doubt that will happen since the path to Moussilon takes longer than what it takes for Brett to possibly confederate or just simply invade there.
    Khazid said:

I would vote wood elves they have a lot of spear armed infantry, you are close enough to keep tabs on him/strike where he is weak yet he will have a hard time attacking your home base.

You have the forest paths for surprise attacks deep into his territory can raze it at huge gain to yourself and cost to him. My first move would be to take out the Crooked moon and take over those lands as it is hard for any of the bret factions to retaliate there.

That sounds like quite the great plan actually. Never thought about it myself, perfect way to hit and run. Got to try it right away!