Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Ariel the old friend?

Comments

• GradenGraden Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 733
    If they don't release Todbringer and Middenland at some point in the future I am going to be devastated.

I want this to happen more than anything but I have a bad feeling that CA isn't going to do it, because Middenland and Boris are ''locked'' in the beastmen dlc as a multiplayer reward only. (what a terrible idea by the way)
    There are ways to make it work of course but I'm afraid if they are going to risk it or not.

I pray to Ulric that I'm wrong.
  • az88az88 Registered Users Posts: 3,073
    That Boris unlock thing was always weird, from a marketing perspective. I get it was meant to be read as "well done on winning, here is an awesome reward!" but it came off more like, "You must slog through this thing we made or no shiny thing for you."
  • HircaneHircane Registered Users Posts: 119
    SiWI said:

Eldrick said:

I do seem to remember reading somewhere the the Old Friend was confirmed as a LL?

I remember that one as well put never could/did track down the thing.

because honestly I think it is pretty obvious that it would be a LL, even without confirmation.

That "old friend" speaks is referencing a person rather then anything else, is just basics.
    That the way to introduce persons into TW WH is to make them a LL, is basic TW WH.*

And that LP are popular DLC, both for CA and the fans is also commonly known.

That the Empire didn't have a FLC LL is also fact, as only core race.

That it is missing generic lord choices and 2 named lords of the armybook is also pretty basic.

And that a LP comes with a FLC LL is what previous pattern suggest.

* to be fair: they mostly acknowledge that it is a longshot that it is meant to be something else.
    Well I thought about something. Boris Todbringer is acctually a addition for completing the beastmem campaign. Would only the players with the dlc have acces? If everyone would have acces immediatly wouldnt that be kind of a rip of for the beastmen players? I think it would be really hard to implement him and make it fair for everyone
  • Canuovea#6291Canuovea#6291 Registered Users, Moderators, Knights Posts: 15,927
    As an owner of the DLC, I won't complain if they give him out to others.

But they might give him out for campaign but still lock his Multiplayer and Custom Game usability behind the Beastmen DLC being complete.
    -Forum Terms and Conditions: https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest
    -New Rules: https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/287645/new-forum-rules#latest
    -Rules FAQ: https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/287650/total-war-forum-faq#latest
    -Using all caps is the equivalent of shouting. Please don't.
    -5.7 Summon a moderator if someone seems to be out of line, or use the report button. Do NOT become another party to misbehaviour
  • BlackartBlackart Senior Member Warsaw, PolandRegistered Users Posts: 192

"If you are slain in battle, you should be resolved to have your corpse facing the enemy."
    Yamamoto Tsunetomo
  • SiWI#8629SiWI#8629 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 12,012
    edited March 2017
    Hircane said:

SiWI said:

Eldrick said:

I do seem to remember reading somewhere the the Old Friend was confirmed as a LL?

because honestly I think it is pretty obvious that it would be a LL, even without confirmation.

That "old friend" speaks is referencing a person rather then anything else, is just basics.
    That the way to introduce persons into TW WH is to make them a LL, is basic TW WH.*

That it is missing generic lord choices and 2 named lords of the armybook is also pretty basic.

* to be fair: they mostly acknowledge that it is a longshot that it is meant to be something else.
    Well I thought about something. Boris Todbringer is acctually a addition for completing the beastmem campaign. Would only the players with the dlc have acces? If everyone would have acces immediatly wouldnt that be kind of a rip of for the beastmen players? I think it would be really hard to implement him and make it fair for everyone
    I have made that argument before in this forum (and hence not remade it here).
    The overall reaction of the "pro boris faction" here seems to be to rather ignore that and claim that it wouldn't be a problem or that he would get replace or that he isn't part of the DLC, since he wasn't advertise.

Or take Canuovea's stands of "I would be okay with it, hence it shouldn't be a problem".

I find this doubtful given that it is still contend people paid for and I don't think all would be so calm or that CA would expect them to be.

The fact that the original theory was that we would get the Red Duke before hand as FLC (the guy you get for finishning the WE Campaign) and then Boris, which obviously didn't happen, hasn't discourage them yet.

Ratling_Guns.gif?t=1554385892
  • Canuovea#6291Canuovea#6291 Registered Users, Moderators, Knights Posts: 15,927
    The Old Friend thing doesn't actually match Middenheim per se, as someone had located the actual building previously and it had nothing to do with Middenheim exactly. In fact, it might have been in that new Altdorf map...

I also have an additional point about the argument.

Bretonnia has gotten three start positions. The Greenskins have the same. Beastmen technically do as well. I expect that most of the other factions will in the end. Mousillon is the only other option for the Vampires really. At least at this stage. It seems likely, and I heard someone at CA had responded to the question of Mousillon coming with the OWE with "Not yet." Which means that we are likely to get Mousillon eventually. Now they may just move Kemmler up there and leave the Red Duke as an option for those who have the DLC... that is possible. Or they will make the Red Duke playable for everyone as well.

If they do that, what is stopping them from doing so with Middenheim? It is far from confirmed of course, but seems plausible. Middenheim is also one of the better potential starting positions for the Empire... aside from Averland of course. I personally think now that we may see Marius first. I'd like that. But Middenheim seems likely in the long run.
    -Forum Terms and Conditions: https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest
    -New Rules: https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/287645/new-forum-rules#latest
    -Rules FAQ: https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/287650/total-war-forum-faq#latest
    -5.7 Summon a moderator if someone seems to be out of line, or use the report button. Do NOT become another party to misbehaviour
  • theedge634theedge634 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,270
    Hircane said:

SiWI said:

Eldrick said:

I don't see how it could be considered any different than getting Grombrimdal early. Boris wasn't advertised as a part of the DLC if I remember correctly, meaning... If you got him with the DLC, just consider it your early access key.

Hircane said:

SiWI said:

Eldrick said:

I don't see how it could be considered any different than getting Grombrimdal early. Boris wasn't advertised as a part of the DLC if I remember correctly, meaning... If you got him with the DLC, just consider it your early access key.
    the difference here is that no one paid for Grimbrindal, at least not CA that is.
  • TheGuardianOfMetalTheGuardianOfMetal Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 14,701
    SiWI said:

Hircane said:

SiWI said:

Eldrick said:

the difference here is that no one paid for Grimbrindal, at least not CA that is.
    if anybody bought the BM just because of Boris than he's stupid... i consider Boris simply as a nice lil extra CA made to have the now unique Model of Boris not only int he campaign and have a better use for it... but this half completed Boris VS a complete Middenland? Yeah... i know what i'd prefer...
    The Empire still hasn't gotten their FLC LL. We need Marius Leitdorf of Averland!

Where is Boris Todbringer? Have you seen him? For a Middenland DLC with Boris and the Ar-Ulric!

Every wrong is recorded. Every slight against us, page after page, ETCHED IN BLOOD!

Queek could smell their hatred, ratcheted to a degree that even he could not evoke in their simple hearts. He stepped over the old orange-fur’s body, eager to see for himself what it was they saw. But he heard it first.
    'Waaaaaaaggh! Gorfang!'
  • obippoobippo Member Registered Users Posts: 2,686
    I really think most people don't even know they get that MP boris when they complete the bm campaign anyways.

A simple solution for that would be making boris playable in the mini campaign once it's completed with the beastmen. this way adding him in the gc for everyone wouldnt be a grudge for the bm dlc owners.
    Always be aware when a Content Refusing Troll Brigade (CRTB) representative is near. Contact your local Witch Hunter for further info.

SiWI said:

Hircane said:

SiWI said:

Eldrick said:

if anybody bought the BM just because of Boris than he's stupid... i consider Boris simply as a nice lil extra CA made to have the now unique Model of Boris not only int he campaign and have a better use for it... but this half completed Boris VS a complete Middenland? Yeah... i know what i'd prefer...
    does he/she have to buy the DLC "just for Boris" in order to complain that a part of the product he/she paid for was either given free not that much time later or resold in a better state?

I don't think so, Specially in a court room.
    SiWI said:

SiWI said:

Hircane said:

SiWI said:

Eldrick said:

does he/she have to buy the DLC "just for Boris" in order to complain that a part of the product he/she paid for was either given free not that much time later or resold in a better state?

I don't think so, Specially in a court room.
    That is being excessively dramatic I think, and is likely to go nowhere.

Of course, someone would be upset, but when are they not? Boris and the Red Duke were not promised as part of their respective DLCs by CA and that solves that.

That being said, it is a fairly decent argument for why Boris might be made FLC rather than DLC.
    Canuovea said:

The Old Friend thing doesn't actually match Middenheim per se, as someone had located the actual building previously and it had nothing to do with Middenheim exactly. In fact, it might have been in that new Altdorf map...

To be honest: I think that this angle is overated anyway.
    Did the other backgrounds really tease anything besides the race they belong to?
    Not really.

Bretonnia has gotten three start positions. The Greenskins have the same. Beastmen technically do as well. I expect that most of the other factions will in the end. Mousillon is the only other option for the Vampires really. At least at this stage. It seems likely, and I heard someone at CA had responded to the question of Mousillon coming with the OWE with "Not yet." Which means that we are likely to get Mousillon eventually. Now they may just move Kemmler up there and leave the Red Duke as an option for those who have the DLC... that is possible. Or they will make the Red Duke playable for everyone as well.

WE don't have it, and they are a late addition. And while they could do a VC/EM LP, I kinda doubt that the VC get another LL, considering the numbers they already have. Thou it is possible that Hellborg becomes somewhat the rival of Krell, given that they are both warriors who then start with Kemmel in Mousillon.
    Marius himself doesn't have a real connection to the VC. And boris rivarly is already in the game.

If they do that, what is stopping them from doing so with Middenheim? It is far from confirmed of course, but seems plausible. Middenheim is also one of the better potential starting positions for the Empire...

There I disagree.
    What makes Middenehim interesting for people is the hope for special units.
    The starting position itself is pretty awful.
    In the middle of the Empire, only surrounded by other empire factions and pretty close to Altdorf as well.

Thats pretty bad in terms of starting position, if you ask me.

The best starting position for the Empire would be Ostland:
    far away from Altdorf.
    On the border of the Empire.
    Interesting/hard environment with chaos so close.

But looking at the VC, CA may have rather the "must be close for COOP" in mind.
    In that Case Averland and Middenheim both do I suppose.
    Canuovea said:

That being said, it is a fairly decent argument for why Boris might be made FLC rather than DLC.

Well i think that "reselling" Boris is out of the question for CA.
    Because that would not only case uproar (specifically within people who don't play the game but like to get upset about such issues) but also deliver a legal case per excellence:

you made them pay once and now you make them pay twice.

Doesn't mean that CA would lose, given they could borrow some arguments here but I don't think CA want that kind of drama.
  • HircaneHircane Registered Users Posts: 119
    Canuovea said:

If they do that, what is stopping them from doing so with Middenheim? It is far from confirmed of course, but seems plausible. Middenheim is also one of the better potential starting positions for the Empire... aside from Averland of course. I personally think now that we may see Marius first. I'd like that. But Middenheim seems likely in the long run.

Marius hu? Could be possible. Would explain why he is called a olf friend since he has a rather special history amongst the warhammer world and especially with bretonnia? Really interesting. I never even thought about that. Anyone considered the old friend being multiple lords/factions like 1 for each race? So the plurar shouldnt be a problem.
    SiWI said:

Canuovea said:

To be honest: I think that this angle is overated anyway.
    Did the other backgrounds really tease anything besides the race they belong to?
    Not really.

WE don't have it, and they are a late addition. And while they could do a VC/EM LP, I kinda doubt that the VC get another LL, considering the numbers they already have. Thou it is possible that Hellborg becomes somewhat the rival of Krell, given that they are both warriors who then start with Kemmel in Mousillon.
    Marius himself doesn't have a real connection to the VC. And boris rivarly is already in the game.

If they do that, what is stopping them from doing so with Middenheim? It is far from confirmed of course, but seems plausible. Middenheim is also one of the better potential starting positions for the Empire...

There I disagree.
    What makes Middenehim interesting for people is the hope for special units.
    The starting position itself is pretty awful.
    In the middle of the Empire, only surrounded by other empire factions and pretty close to Altdorf as well.

Thats pretty bad in terms of starting position, if you ask me.

The best starting position for the Empire would be Ostland:
    far away from Altdorf.
    On the border of the Empire.
    Interesting/hard environment with chaos so close.

But looking at the VC, CA may have rather the "must be close for COOP" in mind.
    In that Case Averland and Middenheim both do I suppose.
    I agree that people tend to read too much into the background arguments beyond the obvious faction affiliation.

WE's only really need two though. When you really think about it they are right next to each other. More than that is not needed in terms of start positions... although more lords would be nice.

The Vamps might get another LL... I dunno. They might package Boris with the Red Duke if they do go that route, since both are kind of already implemented. But I don't know, it seems kind of unlikely. They... ugh. They might bring in Konrad since he is crazy like Marius? Eh. They might double up the lords though. Marius and Helboring actually have some pretty bitter rivalry. It could still even come with Middenheim units too. I am not going to make predictions though, I just think it is doable.

Averland is really close to the Empire but gets to deal with the VCs and Border Princes sooner. It also has a Legendary Lord of some interest. Middenheim is really close too, also has a potential LL of some interest. It is not perfect but they would have to deal with the Beastmen sooner (Morghur's ironically) as well as the Norscans sooner. Ostland's starting position is alright, but I'd rather just have Kislev for early game Chaos threats and they do not have a comparably interesting LL. Either Averland or Middenheim would make for an interesting Co-op campaign too, since they could deal with different issues or free up the Empire to go in a different direction. Start position could maybe be better... but it isn't horrid.
  • TheGuardianOfMetalTheGuardianOfMetal Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 14,701
    actually they have 2... Elector Count Boris Todbringer and Ar-Ulric Emil Vargeir as Volkmar equivalent
    The Empire still hasn't gotten their FLC LL. We need Marius Leitdorf of Averland!

Where is Boris Todbringer? Have you seen him? For a Middenland DLC with Boris and the Ar-Ulric!

Every wrong is recorded. Every slight against us, page after page, ETCHED IN BLOOD!

Queek could smell their hatred, ratcheted to a degree that even he could not evoke in their simple hearts. He stepped over the old orange-fur’s body, eager to see for himself what it was they saw. But he heard it first.
    'Waaaaaaaggh! Gorfang!'
  • ArgonArgon Senior Member ItalyRegistered Users Posts: 1,501
    edited March 2017

actually they have 2... Elector Count Boris Todbringer and Ar-Ulric Emil Vargeir as Volkmar equivalent

Hear, hear! So I think:

-Emil Vargeir is the Old Friend Free-LC (friend of Boris?) (or a sarcastic thing Emil-Volkmar?) with a new playable subfaction: Middenland (as Middenheim is the background of the image)
    -The DLC coming out is a Lord Pack that will feature Ulric units (or do they come with Free-LC?)

So that all conditions posted in this thread are satisfied

-New LL, Middenland playable, the old friend joke, Middenland losing sigmar's units, Img background.

My favorite factions in TW titles:
    Rome 1 - House of Julii
    Medieval 2 - Milan
    Empire - UK
    Napoleon - France
    Shogun 2 - Tokugawa
    Rome 2 - Macedon
    Attila - Western Roman Empire
    Warhammer - Empire (Karl Franz)
    Three kingdoms - Sun Jian
  • IzzyStradlin#2842IzzyStradlin#2842 Senior Member Cair Andros GarrisonRegistered Users Posts: 11,626
    MrJade said:

Hold on, why can't it be Ariel?

CA stated that they didn't like her leading armies, and the background points to the Empire as the focus of the Old Friend FLC.

When did CA say this, please? It seems remarkably odd, given that she has a habit of actually leading armies.
    "Raise them, Necromancer. Set brother against brother. Let's give our hosts something worthy of recording in their pathetic book of complaints, shall we?"
    The Queen of Mysteries, on the Book of Grudges.

Her voice was as rustling silk. "In the darkness I dreamt of you, cousin."
    "Hawk no longer. My wings are dust and bone. I crawl through time now, like an asp."
    "You took my wings, Neferata. You made me crawl. Now I return the favour. Crawl, cousin. Crawl."

Team Elize von Carstein

Warhammer Lore, by Sotek!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCH4nPsl2ctS365aEfFBwxbg

For ease of memory, if we're not talking about cavalry, everything the High Elves have is better than everything the Dark Elves have.

Izzy's More-Loreful Stats Mod

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1279441247&searchtext=
  • ArsenicArsenic Registered Users Posts: 7,472

When did CA say this, please? It seems remarkably odd, given that she has a habit of actually leading armies.

It was on one of the livestreams when the Wood Elf DLC was being released.

"You wouldn't want her leading an army, she's not a fighter" or words to that effect.

Which is horseshoes, I agree. Probably just another unit that would be too tricky to animate and couldn't be reused.
    For in spite of all temptations. To belong to other nations. He remains an Englishman.
    Arsenic said:

It was on one of the livestreams when the Wood Elf DLC was being released.

"You wouldn't want her leading an army, she's not a fighter" or words to that effect.

Which is horseshoes, I agree. Probably just another unit that would be too tricky to animate and couldn't be reused.
    amusingly one could argue that this is also lore accurate to a certain point... when Orion is around she keeps back and is in the Oak, while when she's around Orion is dead and waiting to be reborn, wasnt it like this?

'Waaaaaaaggh! Gorfang!'
  • SbygneusSbygneus Registered Users Posts: 995
    I hope Old Friend is not something for VC again. This would not be fair while other factions are lacking stuff badly.
  • MrJadeMrJade Senior Member Lansing, MIRegistered Users Posts: 7,166
    Sbygneus said:

I hope Old Friend is not something for VC again. This would not be fair while other factions are lacking stuff badly.

I don't think anyone thinks it will be a VC character. Some say Boris (I don't), some say Marius (I don't), some say a mechanic (possible), and I say it will be a trailer for Game II, or Kislev. Or it could be Felix Jaegar, which seems more likely to me than Boris or Marius.
    MrJade said:

Sbygneus said:

I don't think anyone thinks it will be a VC character. Some say Boris (I don't), some say Marius (I don't), some say a mechanic (possible), and I say it will be a trailer for Game II, or Kislev. Or it could be Felix Jaegar, which seems more likely to me than Boris or Marius.
    trailer for Game II would make as much sense for the "Old Friend" moniker as the suggestions that it might be Ariel/Sigmar/God-Emperor of Men imho... and Felix Jaeger? Without Gotrek Gurnisson? Would be kinda lacking a bit wouldnt it? Like Skarsnik without Gobbla...

'Waaaaaaaggh! Gorfang!'
  • OrkfaellerOrkfaeller Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,329

Indypride said:

They can add whatever they want. Krell isn't a Vampire, and he doesn't have to be a legendary lord either. Green knight was our first officially branded legendary hero, Krell could be the 2nd. And people, including Kemmler himself, have been asking where he's been since launch. He makes ALOT of sense as the Old Friend.

But so does Boris todbringer

NO, Green Knight WASN'T THE FIRST officially branded legendary hero! Ghost Heroes of Belegar were the first!! Get Your information straight!!!

No matter which side of the debate You're on, using false arguments is unacceptable!!!!
    The Ancestor Ghosts are mortal and thus not legendary.
  • B1ing3rmanB1ing3rman Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 357
    I dont know what is the problem with Boris. They could give Middenheim playable just for cotb owners. I am almost sure that the old friend is a trinity: Boris, Red Duke and Krell. Perhaps, Boris and Red Duke exclusives for DLC owners or not.
  • MrJadeMrJade Senior Member Lansing, MIRegistered Users Posts: 7,166

MrJade said:

Sbygneus said:

trailer for Game II would make as much sense for the "Old Friend" moniker as the suggestions that it might be Ariel/Sigmar/God-Emperor of Men imho... and Felix Jaeger? Without Gotrek Gurnisson? Would be kinda lacking a bit wouldnt it? Like Skarsnik without Gobbla...
    I just don't trust CA to not do something shady after the VCLL was the MWNL contest reward. I thought we would be getting ANOTHER new LL, not the one that was already promised. Furthermore, if its a trailer, it explains the lack of release date, as it has to be released x time before Game 2 is ready.

As far as Felix goes, others have found evidence for him in the audio files just like Isabella.
  • oliverpmasonoliverpmason Registered Users Posts: 3,055
    Boris flc for Beastmen owners. Ar Ulric dlc with Middenheim units plus another LL.

That's my guess.
  • IcestrugleIcestrugle Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,257

Boris flc for Beastmen owners. Ar Ulric dlc with Middenheim units plus another LL.

That's my guess.

I agree, same though