Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Why is so much missing from the game?

Blood_DragonBlood_Dragon Senior MemberPosts: 814Registered Users
edited March 16 in Rants and Raves
Bretonnia is half the size it should be, so are Estalia and Tilea, and both Tilea and Estalia are just carbon copies of the Empire in their rosters, they have no identity at all and are just campaign filler at best. Oh yeah and why is the campaign map so sparse and unrepresentative of the lore? Some really key locations are completely missing, like Blood Keep and Silver Pinnacle! And so many factions are not present at all! Where is Castle Drachenfels, or Mordheim?

Still no army painter, or any customisation options at all, I mean how can you skip this out when it is such an integral part of the tabletop??

Sieges are half-baked, awful rubbish - I can literally just sit in a corner of the map with an army almost entirely composed of mortars and cannons and just blast the enemy. It's either that or I am FORCED to rush at the walls like an idiot and engage in the most simplistic experience ever. Wow such fun wow amazing.

AI is dumb and the higher difficulties just give it cheats, Very Hard is easymode. The only "difficulty" comes from the fact they get free armies out of nowhere. Wow such difficulty much amaze.

DLC has been half baked and underwhelming, especially the Beastmen, who came with such a woefully incomplete roster I am almost ashamed. No Jabberslythe, no Tuskgor Chariot, no Ghorgon.

And all that is before I get onto the characters. Oh boy.

So many characters from the lore skipped over for ones that are either dead or not important at all i.e Helman Ghorst, Isabella and Vlad. What the hell, you have all these editions of Warhammer's rules and armybooks to look at, all the lore from over 30 years of Warhammer with all these characters and factions in like the vampire bloodlines and yet you choose to completely ignore all that and go for the extremely narrow selection we get from 8th edition, the edition that KILLED Fantasy... then you don't even add Krell?!

What kind of weird logic is at work here? You could have chosen Walach Harkon, Neferata, Ushoran, Zacharias the Everliving... instead you choose Redshirt McNobody and two dead characters that are massively overrated. Instead of the vampires being what they should be they're just the precious Von Carsteins... literally the most GENERIC and bland bloodline of them all, in my opinion, but also from an artistic standpoint - they are the most generic bloodline because they are so similar to that typical, done-to-death Transylvanian Dracula setting, there is nothing interesting about them.

And where are all the different Marks for the Chaos Warriors? Everything's just grey and black... wow so interesting, where is Khorne, Slaanesh, Nurgle and Tzeentch? Oh yeah that's right, missing because CA can't be bothered. Why do I have to install mods to fix the game?

Seriously if you're going to make a game about Warhammer and advertise it as being super deep, then don't go and make it shallow and lacking in detail. That just screams dishonesty.

"Victory or death, there is no other outcome. Honour is everything. I am a knight of the Ordo Draconis, and I will achieve perfection."

Comments

• CnConradCnConrad Senior Member Posts: 2,425Registered Users
    edited March 16
    Rants are -> no sense in cluttering up the forums with your ravings.

Btw most of what you wrote is either opinions or outright false so there is not really anything to discuss.
  • EizoEizo Posts: 716Registered Users
    Ummm you know their a Rant and Rave section in the off topic board right?
  • krunshkrunsh Senior Member Posts: 3,272Registered Users
    edited March 16
    I hope you feel better now! And the obvious answer to most of your questions is: Warhammer Total War is an ongoing project they are building upon.
    i5-3550 CPU @ 3.30GHz
    Geforce gtx 970
    16gb ram

Team Skaven
  • AgharranAgharran Senior Member Posts: 321Registered Users
    If you will only be satisfied with a game that reflects what, 30 years of accumulated lore from Warhammer Fantasy? you will never be satisfied. Which obviously you aren't. I'm sorry that is the case.
  • FinishingLastFinishingLast Posts: 1,312Registered Users
    This after their last rant was shut down.
  • Mr_Finley7Mr_Finley7 Junior Member Posts: 2,582Registered Users
    How many tantrums is this guy going to post?

"My fave lore isn't being shown off, waaaaah!"
  • Blood_DragonBlood_Dragon Senior Member Posts: 814Registered Users
    It's not a "tantrum" if my points are valid is it?

These things are problems with the game, whether you fanboys want to admit it or not.

"Victory or death, there is no other outcome. Honour is everything. I am a knight of the Ordo Draconis, and I will achieve perfection."
  • IcestrugleIcestrugle Junior Member Posts: 525Registered Users
    You could tell starcraft 2 was sold in 3 games separately, and they have just 3 factions..., same ones from starcraft 1 60 euros for each game. The game is expensive because to many different unique troops( compare it to other strategy games, most strategy games all their factions look alike and are or real time strategy or tbs, not like total war which is very complex and unique from all the other games there) . The ai is the best from all other total game. Why army painter should be in this game? All other strategy games have such a thing?(nope). If you can show me which strategy game have so many unique races and models, with campaign map and rts battle, I will agree with you. But is no such thing because is to expensive and takes to much time.

You could tell starcraft 2 was sold in 3 games separately, and they have just 3 factions..., same ones from starcraft 1 60 euros for each game. The game is expensive because to many different unique troops( compare it to other strategy games, most strategy games all their factions look alike and are or real time strategy or tbs, not like total war which is very complex and unique from all the other games there) . The ai is the best from all other total game. Why army painter should be in this game? All other strategy games have such a thing?(nope). If you can show me which strategy game have so many unique races and models, with campaign map and rts battle, I will agree with you. But is no such thing because is to expensive and takes to much time.

You're just making excuses for them. They are ripping us off.

Well Blizzard is just too beloved by it community to really be criticized or rant upon too much. Even with any Criticism with Diablo 3 was meet with not many people caring after a while.
    Blizzard beloved by their community? Lol no. They have attracted so much hate for what they've done, because they sold out to a big corporation, Activision. They just do what they do on this forum, suppress all dissention and discontent by closing threads that criticise the games they make, supported by a loyal cabal of fanboys.

• KGpoopyKGpoopy Posts: 1,873Registered Users
    Lol A lot of this stuff you are talking about, I'm convinced they are working on it, or going to improve in time. It's a matter of feedback and how well the DLCs and games are received.
    Always be aware when a Content Refusing Troll Brigade (CRTB) representative is near. Contact your local Witch Hunter for further info.
  • Tempus_fugitTempus_fugit Senior Member Posts: 1,010Registered Users
    edited March 16
    Guys (both OP and respondents), let's not make the same mistake we did over the past few days.
    Play the ball (post) not the man (posters). That includes you Blood Dragon. Don't let your blood pressure rise because of other posts. Breathe, relax and remember this be the Interweb, anonymity encourages arrogance and bad manners.
    I always imagine rage on the net as dogs safely separated by walls or gates barking furiously at one another because there is no actual risk of confrontation. If you were to open the gate, the dogs would hare back to their kennels since the safety of separation is no longer there. edit: I am also guilty of this.
    Keep it cool and calm.
    There is no time but the present. – S:TW Hojo, R:TW Brutii/Germania/Alemanni(BI), Med2: Venice, S2: Oda, R2: Julia/Boii/Suebi/Lusitani, Attila: Geats/Garamantians, WH: Vampire Counts/Greenskins/Dwarfs/Beastmen/Warriors of Chaos/Wood Elves/Empire
  • FrontlinerDeltaFrontlinerDelta Senior Member Posts: 3,422Registered Users

I mean how can you skip this out when it is such an integral part of the tabletop??

I want to address this one specific part because it came up a lot before the game came out and still comes up a bit much.

This is not a conversion of Tabletop Warhammer in the way that Blood Bowl is a conversion of that TT game into video game format.

This is a Total War game, first and foremost. The two games share a lot of similarity and the setting can be depicted in a TW game nicely.

While I too would love an army painter, TW has never had one (outside of Shogun 2 MP) and we probably shouldn't expect one anytime soon. Maybe at the end of the trilogy as one of the last pieces of DLC or updates.

But TW is TW. In the end, this is a Total War game set in the Warhammer world. CA are fans of the TT and try to capture the general playstyle of each army (and also because the lore partially dictates this as well) but are in no ways bound to do anything because the "TT did it/has it."
    I mean the best way for maximum TT representation would have been a turn based strategy game like Fire Emblem but Total War is an RTS genre game so their going be limitation but strength too.
  • KGpoopyKGpoopy Posts: 1,873Registered Users
    edited March 16
    Actually I hope these warhammer games move far away from TT so it can be more TW than it already is. Too many things could have been done and were not done, which resulted in a solid overly simplistic TW game in areas where it should not. I thought of it as a base, and a good start up, so I hope they keep improving things and build on their game.
    Always be aware when a Content Refusing Troll Brigade (CRTB) representative is near. Contact your local Witch Hunter for further info.
  • BargrimmBargrimm Posts: 200Registered Users
    edited March 16
    The OP has some points. While i strongly disagree that this game is a ripoff, many things are missing in the game and For me as a die hard dawi player better fanatic i really miss key characters like Josef Bugman and Gotrek for example Important Lords and Heroes like Daemon and Dragonslayer. Making decisions like starting points for Ungrim Ironfist at Karaz a Karak and leaving out key dwarf location like Karak Varn didnt help either.

Said that the game is not even 1 year old. Warhammer has a gigantic lore and background and you really cant have everything for every faction right there from the beginning. I am not dissapointed at this stage of the game because it is an ongoing development process. Or I hope it is. If the game in a couple of years will still miss key elements that would be a complete different story. But in the End it is in the interesst of CA to deliver constant content. The financial possibilities with DLC s are huge for CA and i dont think they will miss out on that.
  • UrgatUrgat Posts: 766Registered Users

Blizzard beloved by their community? Lol no. They have attracted so much hate for what they've done, because they sold out to a big corporation, Activision. They just do what they do on this forum, suppress all dissention and discontent by closing threads that criticise the games they make, supported by a loyal cabal of fanboys.

Yes, yes, the millions of copies of all the Blizzard games sold are all to that cabal of fanboys, everybody else hates them. Most people are content with Blizzards stuff, it's just the vocal minority there is VERY vocal, so yeah, they get moderated. I'd moderate them too, they're usually a nasty, obnoxious sort.
    As for your opening post, I agree with a few things (sieges, empty and reorganized map, sieges), disagree with others (don't talk about an artistic point of view if you're going to say that the Von Carstein are archetypal Transylvanian vampires, when there was such a ****storm over their redesign to make them not-dracula-looking back then), and wonder what the heck you're talking about with others (you complain about dead characters but you want Mordheim? Mordheim's been razed to the last stone a century before Karl Franz. At least be consistent).

• obippoobippo Member Posts: 1,970Registered Users
    edited March 16
    I don't think the game is a ripoff at all but I agree with some of your points. Mostly the empire clones, that's blatantly lazy. I'm sure these factions will get their own roster eventually though.

Also yeah, the woc roster is pathetic. There's hope for more units when the daemons are released -added for free for woc owners, of course.

Maps are not only lacking because sieges are half baked, we're also missing a ton of different battle types like bridge battles, river crossings, minor settlement battles, naval, etc.
    Post edited by BillyRuffian on

• BrutalbunnyBrutalbunny Junior Member Posts: 85Registered Users
    Cmon your post was closed yesterday and you make a new one just like the last. There are two more expansions and plenty of DLC left. Ofcourse they havent added all the races etc yet
  • BMNOBLE981BMNOBLE981 Senior Member Posts: 1,050Registered Users

both Tilea and Estalia are just carbon copies of the Empire in their rosters, they have no identity at all and are just campaign filler at best.

The game is still an ongoing project, I would rather them focus on the main factions, which many people still list, the number of things still missing from them.

Before they start bothering with the minor factions, you might even have to accept the fact that not every faction is going to be playable, I cant think of a single total war game that allowed every faction to be playable (without mods).

Just think of Attila Total War, When it launched the Celtic factions all had the Nordic faction rosters, until they finally got around to doing the Celtic faction DLC.

So long as they can put a few factions in a DLC, knowing people will buy them, they will continue to do so.

Personally I would rather they take their time to make something decent, rather than release a load of incomplete factions simply because they are peoples favorite. They said right at the start the plan was for a trilogy, you can't expect everything to magically be in the first game, when they are still making it all.

that's my 2 cents
    "It is dangerous when too many men in the same armor think they're right."
  • TheGuardianOfMetalTheGuardianOfMetal Senior Member Posts: 5,603Registered Users
    "NEferata neferata neferata!"
    10:1 if she was ingame yet and only as Manfreds mistress we'd have you now complain about that... i guess that she might get implemented when we get the Tomb Kings.. TW WH might simply put her somewhere down ther eins tead of silver pinnacle and done... maybe a "rivalry" wiht Khalida

Helman Ghorst was chosen because of the Blood of Sigmar theme of Grim and the Grave... and i think there were only more (or less) 2 important VC Characters in it... Ghorst... and VC Leader Manfred von Carstein...

The Vampire Counts as in the game, as the rulers of Sylcania, are pretty much only the Von Carsteins in terms of lore (not armybook) the others deal with their own stuff... the Von Carstein Bloodline rules Sylvania... the Blood Knights always look for worthy opponents... Neferata sits in silver pinnacle, scheming...

"AI is dumb and the higher difficulties just give it cheats, Very Hard is easymode. The only "difficulty" comes from the fact they get free armies out of nowhere. Wow such difficulty much amaze."
    just like in most other TW games...

"Where is Castle Drachenfels, or Mordheim?"
    Mordheim: Destroyed... not of interest for roughly all factions aside Skaven... which are not ingame yet...
    Castle Drachenfels: while i wouldnt mind seeing the great enchanter, it could screw up the Empire... it's sitting rather close to Skarniks Karak Azgaraz... 1 powerful Necromancer... 1 Goblin Warlord... 3 Provinces of Rebels... eh...
    also for stuff like that the Map is not nearly zoomed in enough...
    Every wrong is recorded! Every slight against us! Page after Page, etched in blood! Clan Gunnison! Karak Eight-Peaks! Josef

Yes! to Boris Todbringer as playable, subfaction leading Legendary Lord with Starting Position Middenheim instead for the Empire! NO to the lazy way of moving Gelt and Volkmar who both belong to Reikland!

Where is Boris Todbringer? Have you seen him?
  • boyfightsboyfights Junior Member Posts: 3,047Registered Users
    you should write CA a letter and ask for a refund, add your sig to the letter too so they know you're serious
  • boyfightsboyfights Junior Member Posts: 3,047Registered Users
    i am a true warhammer fan and this is an outrage. where the hell is mordheim?!
  • St_AugustineSt_Augustine Posts: 214Registered Users

You have that backwards. Blizzard bought Activision, they sold out to Blizzard. You have valid points but you are just throwing a tantrum and can't even argue effectively.

Try being more constructive, this game is hardly an injustice.
    "Bow pilgrims, bow before the Wisdom of Asaph made flesh, the Voice of Vengeful, the Lioness of the Hills, She Whose Legions Blot Out the Sun With Their Arrows, High Queen Khalida, Guardian of Dammed Lahmia, the Watchfull Soul and The Serpent Queen" -Lich Priest Djubti

MUH TUMB KEENGS

"Caesar I was and am Justinian"
  • dge1dge1 Moderator Arkansas, USAPosts: 13,036Registered Users, Moderators, Knights
    Moved to Rants.
    "The two most common things in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity." - Harlan Ellison
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." - Hubert H. Humphrey
    "Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin
    Oh so this gets moved to Rants and Raves because I am criticising the game? Of course. Makes perfect sense CA.

• Pro_YankeePro_Yankee Posts: 8Registered Users
    Go back to your basement, Neckbeard. This isn't TT; this is Toal War, where mechanics are more important than painting your army pink for Slaanesh.