Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

What the teams are working on 17/03/2017

Comments

• Hangya90Hangya90 Posts: 28Registered Users
    Don't china..
  • NodosaNodosa Junior Member Posts: 17Registered Users
    Hangya90 said:

Don't china..

Why not? It is a good untouched setting with a land just as big, if not bigger than Europe.
  • ss11955ss11955 Posts: 8Registered Users
    No Far East games-- I like games where units etc. readily reckonizable (squads,weapons,ranks etc.}. Just me.
    edited May 2017
    Nodosa said:

Hangya90 said:

Don't china..

Why not? It is a good untouched setting with a land just as big, if not bigger than Europe.
    bc people dont want play to capture cities and regions with unpronounceable names.
    Post edited by BillyRuffian on
  • XhepnonXhepnon Posts: 1Registered Users
    how about ancient total war with anatolian civilizations such as hittites sumerians lydians phrygians ionians cimmerians urartu assyrians early greeks bordering eagyptians etc lots of variety, could be fun. with some mythology to spice things up could be lots of fun.
  • FinishingLastFinishingLast Posts: 3,684Registered Users
    Xhepnon said:

how about ancient total war with anatolian civilizations such as hittites sumerians lydians phrygians ionians cimmerians urartu assyrians early greeks bordering eagyptians etc lots of variety, could be fun. with some mythology to spice things up could be lots of fun.

I'd be interested if they did go the mythology angle. Especially seeing the different groups and their different ideologies go to war and bring those powers to the battlefield.
    I am incredibly mad and angry at whatever someone insinuated could possibly, but not likely, happen in the WH series today and CA must answer for this with an explanation of why they might possibly, but didn't do this!!!
  • NodosaNodosa Junior Member Posts: 17Registered Users
    Hangya90 said:

Nodosa said:

Hangya90 said:

Don't china..

bc people dont want play to capture cities and regions with unpronounceable names.

I do not think it is right to speak for other people about your own personal views. I believe Shogun 2 did just fine in terms of game play and sales despite the setting being across the world in a totally different culture.

PS: Try to say some of these Celtic city names in Rome 2. It will give you a run for your money believe me.
  • SiWISiWI Senior Member Posts: 9,566Registered Users
    edited May 2017
    Nodosa said:

Hangya90 said:

Nodosa said:

Hangya90 said:

Don't china..

I do not think it is right to speak for other people about your own personal views. I believe Shogun 2 did just fine in terms of game play and sales despite the setting being across the world in a totally different culture.

PS: Try to say some of these Celtic city names in Rome 2. It will give you a run for your money believe me.
    All fair and true, but consider this:

Shogun was, base on a boardgame, the first TW ever.
    And while it did good, did you know what did far better?
    Medieval 1. Despite almost being the same game, save the era and area.
    So yeah, "eurocentric" did alot of good for the TW series.

I personally had played a bit of "Tiger Empire" and must say, that I did struggle to put the things the game told me into a sense-able context, without reading it up elsewhere.

In Europe, I rarely have this problem and I assume alot of people have the same issue.

Don't confuse me to be against the idea thou. I just saying that it has some downsides.

Thou judging on CA post, I would guess they take those risk.
    Ratling_Guns.gif?t=1554385892
  • KristaliornKristaliorn Posts: 9Registered Users
    All good stuff!
    Looking forward to the next update of this nature!
  • MargeraMargera Posts: 2Registered Users
    I do not know if it's right, what I'm writing here, but there is clearly activity here, and I do not know English well enough to choose the right topic for my question.
    I put a link to the topic, first I wrote a letter-question to the support team, but they said to write to this forum, but so far no one has answered me :(

link:
    https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/194836/question-on-the-further-promotion-the-series-of-games-total-war/p1?new=1
  • KregenKregen Member Posts: 483Registered Users
    To also chime in on the micro management disscution, yes I do want more micro management. However there are some that dont, why can they not be optional. In other words ad a toggle system where you could keep what you like and ditch the rest. This would be done at the start of a new game and for that game they are then irreversable.

The things I most want to see is a system of army magement basd on econamy and population, and also correct for the game era.

Chain of command, I get to promote captaians to generals based off traits and experiance card for unit commenders. Depending on what type of unit they came from they would have advantages for that type of unit. A trait such as infantery commander would give moral and veterancy advantage to lnfantery ect.

Supply trains that need to be used for food and ammo supply, the further from friendy terrertory the less effective they would be forcing the army to divert troops for foraging.

Company or trible/national flags or symbles to give moral boost, and moral loss if the colour unit is lost or captured.

More usful diplomacy, things like the use of allies ports to resuply and repair my ships for a fee, or in a similar way use of allies forts or milatery bases to do the same for land forces.
  • GrapeShotGrapeShot Posts: 2Registered Users
    Kregen said:

To also chime in on the micro management disscution, yes I do want more micro management. However there are some that dont, why can they not be optional. In other words ad a toggle system where you could keep what you like and ditch the rest. This would be done at the start of a new game and for that game they are then irreversable.

The things I most want to see is a system of army magement basd on econamy and population, and also correct for the game era.

Chain of command, I get to promote captaians to generals based off traits and experiance card for unit commenders. Depending on what type of unit they came from they would have advantages for that type of unit. A trait such as infantery commander would give moral and veterancy advantage to lnfantery ect.

Supply trains that need to be used for food and ammo supply, the further from friendy terrertory the less effective they would be forcing the army to divert troops for foraging.

Company or trible/national flags or symbles to give moral boost, and moral loss if the colour unit is lost or captured.

More usful diplomacy, things like the use of allies ports to resuply and repair my ships for a fee, or in a similar way use of allies forts or milatery bases to do the same for land forces.

This kind of micro management would put TW over the top in any era! I love the ideas!
    edited May 2017

This kind of micro management would put TW over the top in any era! I love the ideas!

glad you like the ideas although I must admit they are not all my own some come from other threads like this one.

to further expand on the army management system, Tribel or feudel factions would have warlords that have warbands that they pay for out of their own purses. these warlords would be the noble class similar to the system in Attila, success in battle and appointment to province governor ect would give an increase in income that would allow a larger warband. Additionly they could call on the local population in the form of millatery service obligations the number available would be dependant on population. if enough surplace income is available then weapon and armour improvement could be purchased for the fryd forces and of course veterancy would be earned as they gain battle experience. on top of that training at forts ,castles or other appropriate sites could be used to improve effectiveness allowing peasant archers / hunters to be trained up to long bowmen. this would then elevate conscript troops to the level of more professional units.

In a more advanced factions such as any of the old civilizations (Rome/Byzantium ect) or post feudal industrialized factions a professional standing army would be the norm with generals commanding and army size dependant on faction income and population. here there would also be a training system in place allowing veterancy improvement and the retraining of outdated units to new types for instance light line infantry would become riflemen, or in the case of Rome old style legion units could be retrained as later style legionars. these updates for both tribel/feudal, industrial post feudal factions would be triggered by either a tech tree or scripted event.

• united84united84 Posts: 457Registered Users
    I really do hope the next Historical title will be something different. We have seen Europe & Japan many times, no offense I love Shogun 2 and Rome 1 & Medieval 2.
    My wishlist is Asia, countries where we havent seen yet in total war like Korea, India, China, Mongols (not the huns) Minor kingdoms of South East Asia...things like that.

Well, that's just my two cents. Whatever direction CA is going, I have no problem. If its good, I will buy. Just don't make another Rome 2.
    united84 said:

I really do hope the next Historical title will be something different. We have seen Europe & Japan many times, no offense I love Shogun 2 and Rome 1 & Medieval 2.
    My wishlist is Asia, countries where we havent seen yet in total war like Korea, India, China, Mongols (not the huns) Minor kingdoms of South East Asia...things like that.

Well, that's just my two cents. Whatever direction CA is going, I have no problem. If its good, I will buy. Just don't make another Rome 2.

I can see where you are comong from a new era and cultural setting would be Interesting, Asia is a good candidate as it has been just as active a melting pot as europe with many game settings to choose from. So far Empire has been the only game to let you play a far eastern culture, the Marhratmas and I think the mongols in india where also playable.Just those two would give you the mongol invation and coquest of india plus the latter marharmatma counter offensive both of which would be pre colonial.

Or an Empire 2 that covered Asia, China/Japan, the Spice Ilands and perhaps Australa, as well as Europe the Americas north and south and not fogetting Africa. Makeing the major factions in each theater playable would give many more chioces. The time frame should cover at least from 1700 till 1901. Stopping short of the first world war as I believe that the two world wars deserve thier own game.

Many of the other things that people have asked for could also be included as triggered event that only happen if certain things occour. IE if unrest in the american, british colonies occours then the america revolution could occour, the same if in the souther US unrest ocours then you would get the chance to choose which side to control. If playing as the british the american revolution happens you can choose to become the americans or stay as the british. If then later the american civil war happens you can choose north or south. This would give the chance to explore many possibilities and different historical paths. Faction packs for the more important minor faction could also be reliest as DLC . What would be even better would be to offer a faction builder pack so anybody could build thier own faction, want play as the Escimos go for it.
  • jamreal18jamreal18 Senior Member Posts: 8,209Registered Users
    Does the next historical mentioned in this video?

Nodosa said:

Hangya90 said:

Nodosa said:

Hangya90 said:

Don't china..

You..

and the joke.
  • FinishingLastFinishingLast Posts: 3,684Registered Users
    I wonder if we'll get another one of these updates soon. I'd be interested to know if the WH1 DLC team found anything they want to work on before game 2 comes out.
    I am incredibly mad and angry at whatever someone insinuated could possibly, but not likely, happen in the WH series today and CA must answer for this with an explanation of why they might possibly, but didn't do this!!!
  • SantobubuSantobubu Member Posts: 389Registered Users
    edited June 2017
    Dear @CA People,

I just wanted to let you know that this kind of update was greatly appreciated by myself and I can say the same for many others. I was just thinking that maybe it was time for a similar exercise as the last one dated from March and there are lots of questions that I believe the community would like answers to !
    Please don't make apply for all the PR jobs you have advertised just to get info on what's coming ;) !

Keep up the good work.
    Post edited by Santobubu on
  • DreadedNorwegianDreadedNorwegian Senior Member Posts: 1,175Registered Users
    Isn`t it time for a summer update soon? Need some historical news along with the warhammer news.
    Enig og tro til Dovre faller!
    Maybe we'll get something at the E3 announcments
  • CommisarCommisar Senior Member Posts: 1,167Registered Users
    It came out on the 17th. So not quite time for it. Would say another 10 days. All them have been mid month.
  • BillyRuffianBillyRuffian Moderator UKPosts: 35,333Registered Users, Moderators, Knights
    Commisar said:

It came out on the 17th. So not quite time for it. Would say another 10 days. All them have been mid month.

Just as you say that, this is posted https://www.totalwar.com/blog/what-the-teams-are-working-on-07-06-17

"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts - for support rather than illumination." (Andrew Lang)

|Takeda| Yokota Takatoshi

Forum Terms and Conditions: - https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest

"We wunt be druv". iot6pc7dn8qs.png
  • SantobubuSantobubu Member Posts: 389Registered Users
    Fantastic ! Thank guys for being so responsive ! Unless it was all planed obvs ;)
  • CommisarCommisar Senior Member Posts: 1,167Registered Users

Commisar said:

Just as you say that, this is posted https://www.totalwar.com/blog/what-the-teams-are-working-on-07-06-17
    lol yeah, they are getting earlier and earlier. At this rate it will be late August for the next update :D
  • brunobmbrunobm Posts: 1Registered Users
    Bring the best of all games into one? yes? or is that just too much of a cliché?
    Anyway, IMO I want Rome III with enhanced features and city control! Like Battles Kingdom free play ---
    That would be awsome, and not losing focus on the battlefield, of course
    Stop working and do something :) ahah props for u guys
  • EpamonidasEpamonidas Posts: 8Registered Users
    I'm really hoping it's like mid bronze age for the next historical title. Even though Rome II has some really big negatives to it campaign-wise, the civilizations present are just awesome. I've put so many hours into it and while a large part of it is multiplayer battles, I still do campaigns from time to time over Attila just because of Rome II's era, something 1200-300 BC roughly would be even better.

There's so many possibilities for factions in Anatolia, the Levant, and places like Ethiopia etc. It'd be like TW Rome but a bit of a shift in focus, while still allowing there to be Celts, Greeks and hopefully numerous factions in Italy etc.

I just REALLY hope it's not the Victorian Era or anything centered on China. I'm bored to tears with all these games coming out featuring China because they want to tap into the $$ over there.

I really dislike the departure CA took from historical titles, and this is coming form someone who used to like Warhammer a bit. It simply doesn't work with TW well imo, and not only that but they get a Trilogy meaning we're going to be waiting probably another two years until we get the new historical title...sigh

I wouldn't mind some 'mysticism' to be allowed in a more ancient era game though. Like how there's the Suebi's witch unit, as well as the Iceni's druids , some more things along those lines would be kind of neat actually for that setting.

I hope the combat 'pace' is similar to Rome II's. While the game has some imbalance issues with there being power factions, the pace of combat and moving is absolutely perfect :) It's amazing how little support Rome II has gotten and yet the competitive scene for it has remained so vibrant and creative. CA really got the perfect pace from a multiplayer battle point of view.

I only got the base game of Warhammer and haven't purchased anything else and won't be in the future. Aside from all the problems monstrous units cause the actual pace moving and the combat is so off it's just not enjoyable to me from either a playing perspective or viewing.
  • PharaohParoPharaohParo Posts: 7Registered Users
    I just wanted to thank you all for your hard work making, in my opinion, the best addition to the Total War franchise. TW: Warhammer I & II.
    Gamesworkshop (GW) messed up big time with Age of Sigmar and lost a huge fan base. Then when TW: Warhammer came out, I was blown away! It saved the series and has truly brought me back to the good ol' days of Warhammer Fantasy. I honestly always figured GW would never make a Warhammer fantasy strategy game like this because, with a price tag of $60-$120 you can have all of the factions playable in the Warhammer fantasy universe whereas the tabletop price to play all factions would be over 9,000.

Yes the hobbies are different, but in terms of game mechanics, variety and replay-ability, & combined with the epic lore GW provided. You've recreated the reason why I fell in love with the Warhammer fantasy universe to begin with.

I love all the extras you've added to the game and intend on purchasing the 2nd title when it comes out in September.

Thank you, thank you, thank you! :smiley:
  • SbygneusSbygneus Posts: 753Registered Users
    I was wondering. Why UK based CA haven't made English Civil War game yet?

I am starting to susspect there is some weakness of existing Total War engine that prevents them to implement combined forces on the battlefield. Think tercios, combined pike and musket units. They seem able of adding only one weapon monotlith units like bowmen, axemen etc. Is the game engine too week to portrey musket screen hiding in pike formation?

Is this a reason they make only Ancient or Medieval stuff recently? It begins to be realy boring. Especialy when Warhammer TW is also quasi-medieval game.
  • SbygneusSbygneus Posts: 753Registered Users
    Nodosa said:

Hangya90 said:

Don't china..

I have nothing against China themed game, but I don't want another Medieval/Ancient themed game next.