Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

I feel like Warhammer is hijacking Total War

EmperorOfRomeEmperorOfRome Senior MemberPosts: 590Registered Users
I am no fan of Warhammer, but if you are, okay. I am still skeptical about the way Total War is heading: I feel like it is going more and more to profit instead of working on the niche it has, and that it is trying to broaden its fanbase to much, but that asides as it is a personal opinion. They said they have two teams working: one warhammer, one historical. However, it seems like Warhammer is hijacking Total War, as they put way more time and personnel into Warhammer.

A quote I found from CA was this:
"The sequel is now in full production, with the majority of CA staff on Total War working through the huge content plan for the second part of the trilogy."

"...majority....". I understand that it was planned, but if Warhammer keeps on so succesful I am afraid they will keep busy with Warhammer. They released a Warhammer game now, when will the following? And then, will there be another Warhammer trilogy because it was so massively succesful, to fill up the "massive and rich" lore of Warhammer? Total War is inviting hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of Warhammer fans into the Franchise. Profitable wise, that is a smart move, but it will make any choices concerning the smaller and smaller growing "historical" fanbase less prioritising. Seeing that CA already acknowledged that the majority of their team works on Warhammer (while we, historical fans, have to hear the mantra that there is a supposed equal two teams working on warhammer and history), and that a next Warhammer game has been released not one year off the previous Warhammer, will the loyal history fan not be neglected in the future? That is worrying me.
Pro gloria Imperi!

Comments

• jpkaratacusjpkaratacus Posts: 1Registered Users
    As a fellow fan of the historical titles I share your concerns about the direction CA going in. CA is going to work on whatever is going to make the most money. Unfortunately fantasy sells better than history. I think we will still get historical titles in the future but CA's focus will be on Warhammer until that stops selling.
  • EmperorOfRomeEmperorOfRome Senior Member Posts: 590Registered Users
    Indeed the focus shifting is what concerns me. If Warhammer is truly so rich in lore, I wouldn't suprise if CA would make another trilogy of Warhammer to appeal to the many Warhammer fans. Since the Warhammer fans seem to be in large numbers, this could shifts CA policy much. Saying that both historical and fantasy have teams working on is too shortly said.
    Pro gloria Imperi!
  • campbellj1978campbellj1978 Posts: 2Registered Users
    edited April 2
    The focus shifted from retreads of prior games, Rome II, Shogun II , to a setting that forced them to come up with new ideas.

The horror....

Now I liked Shogun II, I despised Rome II and Attila became the first Total War game I did not and will not purchase.
    That is from Shogun in 2000, Mongol Invasion expansion ,Medieval, ( still the best TW game imo) Viking expansion, Rome ( one of my least favorites) Barbarian expansion, etc,etc...

I was excited to play Total War again because being a Warhammer fan prior, this was a great union of licenses.
    I hope I will be just as excited for the next historical TW game.

And I won't complain when it is another eurocentric TW game, when I have wanted the warring states in China for FOREVER..
  • ThanquolThanquol Senior Member SkavenblightPosts: 1,966Registered Users
    15 years of Historical games. All is good.

3 years of warhammer titles while they prepare a new engine + historical title. THE END IS NIGH!!!

I really think CA doing these fantasy titles has and will continue to be very good for the franchise as a whole. The zany nature of some of the units combined with an engine at the end of its lifespan has resulted in CA being more experimental and imaginative than they have ever been in what I feel has been along time.

"Fear me for I am Grey Seer Thanqol, Greatest TWW player in all of Skavendom."

Team Skaven

Which team are you? Post in your signature

Team Empire Team Bretonnia Team Kislev Team Dwarf Team Chaos Dwarf Team High Elves
    Team Dark Elves
    Team Wood Elves Team Warriors of Chaos Team Daemons of Chaos
    Team Beastmen
    Team Vampire Counts Team Tomb Kings Team Orcs and Goblins
    Team Ogre Kingdoms
    Team Lizardmen Team Skaven

• CogreCogre Senior Member Posts: 2,000Registered Users
    Plus if I read some of the copy right some Warhammer units are airborn. Let them work out the mechanics of that and give me my total war world War 2
    KRYTEN: I'm some kind of robot who's fighting this virus, and none of
    this exists, it's all in a fever, except for you guys, who really do
    exist, only you're not really here, you're really on some space ship in
    the future. Hell, if that's got to make sense I don't want to be
    sober!
  • cool_ladcool_lad Senior Member IndiaPosts: 1,081Registered Users
    I think that it's important to keep this in mind when talking about historical titles being overlooked.

https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/192834/what-the-teams-are-working-on-17-03-2017/p1
    Our next major historical release is now in full production with the game design locked and asset creation fully underway. The game retains the same strong focus on character design that infused previous major releases, with the key personalities of the period in particular being an early priority for us now; as such there are some vibrant and striking renders plastered around the studio, with eye-catching combat animations garnering some serious attention too.
    Which means that they're already working on their historical title, which has its own team.

That said, I'm happy that CA seems to be stepping away from the annualised release schedule as this generally means better more polished games with less bugs. Plus, the innovations and lessons from warhammer titles will also be used in the historical title making them richer experiences overall.
  • Rath_DarkbladeRath_Darkblade Senior Member Posts: 2,016Registered Users
    I feel like Warhammer rants are hijacking this forum. How about rants that have nothing to do with TW, eh? TW isn't the entire world, y'know. ;-P

*ducks the rotten eggs and fruit and shouts of "BLASPHEMER!" and "HERETIC!"* ;-P
    "There is nothing wrong with nepotism, provided you keep it all in the family."
    --Winston Churchill
    *Chucks a random rotten egg for the sake of anarchy*
    sober!
  • AlJabberwockAlJabberwock Moderator USAPosts: 7,658Moderators, Tech Moderators, Knights
    FOODFIGHT ... PERMITTED !! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!

[marketh throw'd all the rotten content of mine own refrig'rat'r!]
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “Every so often things happen that can’t be rationalized in a conventional way. People wanna know their government has a response. I am that response.”
    ― Kent Mansley (in "Iron Giant")

For most general problems, for which you have no idea of the culprit, your first port of call should be:
    https://support.sega.co.uk/hc/en-us/categories/200307381-Total-War-Support

If you are aware of a bug or a specific issue for which you know the cause, post in the support section for the specific title on our forums. ~Al

https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest
  • dge1dge1 Moderator Arkansas, USAPosts: 13,200Registered Users, Moderators, Knights
    edited April 16
    Hmmmmmm!

photo arta_zps1d942605.gif"
    "The two most common things in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity." - Harlan Ellison
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." - Hubert H. Humphrey
    "Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin
  • KGpoopyKGpoopy Posts: 1,942Registered Users
    I don't know why, but I feel like the historical title will be way more grand and in depth as a total war game than this series.
    Always be aware when a Content Refusing Troll Brigade (CRTB) representative is near. Contact your local Witch Hunter for further info.
  • Pro_YankeePro_Yankee Posts: 8Registered Users
    Successful or not, CA and SEGA signed a contract to make these THREE games under the Warhammer license and they are honoring their contract.
    Also it's just three games. Calm down. It's not like they will stop making Histoical games ffs.
  • The_One_Man_ClanThe_One_Man_Clan Posts: 4Registered Users
    I don't even like Warhammer ): would could they have not gotten the Lord of the rings or Witcher licences :D guess i need to wait for this next historical title that's coming out some point
    I thought it was gonna be Warhammer 40k when it was first announced.

Still holding out hope for some space marines
    sober!
  • clund77clund77 Posts: 1Registered Users
    I agree EmperorOfRome. I don't think warhammer is a bad game or begrudge any of the fans of that genre coming and enjoying this franchise we all love. I just can't get into fantasy games. even one as good as this. i would have been alot happier if they had alternated the releases of historical and warhammer titles. I think that would be great for both sets of fans. more time to develope each title. with that being said now 2 fantasy titles in a row and we get left waiting for probably 2 more years. just great! I know exactly what you mean when you say your worried about the direction. They have been slowly alienating the hardcore fans for years with little awareness as to why. i wouldn't be one bit surprised if they keep going off the rails until the franchise is gone as we know it. If any warhammer fans don't like the complaint they can talk to me about it when the spend 100's of dollars not including the upgrades to my hardware, and many years of loyal gaming for this franchise to be put on the back Burner for the short term dollar. was it too much to ask for an equal amount of attention to what got you to the dance. i.e. historical title!
  • Ephraim_DaltonEphraim_Dalton Senior Member Posts: 9,152Registered Users
    clund77 said:

I agree EmperorOfRome. I don't think warhammer is a bad game or begrudge any of the fans of that genre coming and enjoying this franchise we all love. I just can't get into fantasy games. even one as good as this. i would have been alot happier if they had alternated the releases of historical and warhammer titles. I think that would be great for both sets of fans. more time to develope each title. with that being said now 2 fantasy titles in a row and we get left waiting for probably 2 more years. just great! I know exactly what you mean when you say your worried about the direction. They have been slowly alienating the hardcore fans for years with little awareness as to why. i wouldn't be one bit surprised if they keep going off the rails until the franchise is gone as we know it. If any warhammer fans don't like the complaint they can talk to me about it when the spend 100's of dollars not including the upgrades to my hardware, and many years of loyal gaming for this franchise to be put on the back Burner for the short term dollar. was it too much to ask for an equal amount of attention to what got you to the dance. i.e. historical title!

History will always be with us, Warhammer Fantasy was killed by GW, so the videogames are all that's left of that world.

Also, there're are over half a dozen historical TW titles right now and new TWWH releases aren't going to remove any of them from reality, so I fail to see the problem. Is playing the older titles that much of an issue?

• Bura89Bura89 Senior Member Pisaurum, ItalyPosts: 582Registered Users
    You're right OP, Warhammer is indeed hijacking Total War by releasing one fantasy title while CA is producing a new Dlc for one of the last historic titles, a new spin-off historical title and a new main historical game.

Is playing the older titles that much of an issue?

Yeah, expecially when a title like Med2 is considered by some the holy grail of Total War series.
    No med 1 is the holy grail there
    sober!
  • GreenKing1GreenKing1 Senior Member Posts: 466Registered Users

I don't even like Warhammer ): would could they have not gotten the Lord of the rings or Witcher licences :D guess i need to wait for this next historical title that's coming out some point

I also wish they had got a license for lord of the rings instead. There aren't any factions that I fancy playing in Warhammer total war, every time I look at the factions, I usually decide I can't be arsed to play.

Looking forward to the next historical title!
  • ItharusItharus Senior Member Posts: 2,934Registered Users
    edited September 10
    Medieval 2 > Medieval 1. Hate to say it. One was better in some ways, but Two brought in so damned much.

Regarding Warhammer taking over...

...well...

The historical games we are being promised are going to be things that I would honestly expect to be sold as a $20 DLC pack for the real base game... that's being marketed as a complete game. No thanks.

The scale of games like Medieval and Rome -- that's awesome. That's what I want. More of that. Just do it better. And don't leave the damned thing half-baked! Rome 2 still isn't complete, IMO. Sooooo many balancing issues, bugs, and dropped like a hot rock DLCs that it makes me head spin (Pirates and Raiders, anyone?).

Ya know what, though? I've got 1575 hours in that bad boy. It's my most played game in my Steam account -- even with all of those complaints.

So, yeah, until CA gets back to their roots with those historical titles... WH probably will take over. It's a nice big sprawling game that covers 2/3 of the dang world so far and the mega campaign feature linking the games is just... beautiful. That's a TW game I will buy. That I like pre-AoS WHFB is a plus.

Now... if you made, say, Total War: Baroque or something and made a huge world-spanning map set in like 1450-1650 and let me go and conquer the WHOLE place with all those different cultures? Oh. My. God. YES. I'd be all over that.

EDIT: TW LOTR would suck. You'd field one high elf and he'd solo 1000 orcs. And if he didn't? You'd be breaking the lore and the nerd rage would rip you asunder. Be glad they went with Warhammer :-P

• Ephraim_DaltonEphraim_Dalton Senior Member Posts: 9,152Registered Users
    edited September 11
    Medieval 2 > Medieval 1. Hate to say it. One was better in some ways, but Two brought in so damned much.

Yeah, it brought us the absolute worst pathfinding in the entire series. That's all it did besides the graphics update. Feature-wise it was a downgrade from Med1 in practically every way, no more non-family characters, no more starting in different eras, no more regional titles, no more actual politics and succession crisis, an AI that can at least sometimes challenge the player...

• BrakierBrakier Posts: 1,114Registered Users
    I dont understand why you cant be both? i love historical titles but i also love warhammer total war, sure its not historical but its still total war gameplay , cant you play it just for the gameplay?
    edited September 17

Yeah, it brought us the absolute worst pathfinding in the entire series. That's all it did besides the graphics update. Feature-wise it was a downgrade from Med1 in practically every way, no more non-family characters, no more starting in different eras, no more regional titles, no more actual politics and succession crisis, an AI that can at least sometimes challenge the player...
    Yeah

And the ultimate of ultimates, the real possibility of 5 army battles. I had several of those with m1
    Post edited by Cogre on
    sober!
  • CaptainSensibleCaptainSensible Junior Member Posts: 67Registered Users
    I've been playing Total War since the original Shogun, the first game in the series. Warhammer is the best thing that's ever happened to it.

Total War were always fantasy games. They may not have worn it on their sleeves, but were basically all about big armies clashing with a dash of economy management and diplomacy on top. Whenever a new historical game came out all the history buffs would post giant rants/lists of all the details they'd gotten wrong or exaggerated for the sake of gameplay variation. Those people would eventually make massive overhaul mods (like EB) that stripped out things like attack dogs and chariots and tried to get all the details right, but ultimately these still failed to be anything like a historical experience just because so much is glossed over in favor of big, cool-looking battles.

Warhammer tabletop is the exact kind of experience Total War was always trying to be. They could dispense with any pretensions of historicity and have giant spiders fighting zombies with spells and dragons and steam-powered tanks, all the gameplay variation they could ever want instead of five different kinds of pikemen stabbing each other. TWW is just more fun than any of the previous games, because it's based on something that's meant to be fun, not a history lesson.

If you really love the historical games, well, there's still more of that coming I guess. But honestly, if I want something historical I play a Paradox game.
    Nicely put

Also the total war history games are only accurate at the beginning. After the first turn it is fantasy as well.
    sober!