Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Greco-Persians Wars as a new dlc?

PERICLES1789PERICLES1789 Junior MemberPosts: 47Registered Users

Hi

Wrath of Sparta was an interesting ida. Why not now a focus about the Greco-Persian Wars ? I mean a period from the Ionian Revolt to Wars of the Delian League. Therefore it would include the first and second invasion of Greece.

The persian empire would be added as a playable actor.

New historical battles could be added ; Marathon, Thermopylae, Platae, Sestos, and Salamis as a naval battle.

What do you think about that suggestion?

Comments

• PERICLES1789PERICLES1789 Junior Member Posts: 47Registered Users
    Hi,

I meant Wrath of Sparta was an instersting idea.

Another suggestion could be a scripted campaign around the Anabasis by Xenophon (with Cunaxa as historical battle).
  • DariosDarios Senior Member Posts: 248Registered Users
    Wouldn't a Greco-Persian Wars DLC end up being 90% of what WoS is? Even in WoS, if a Greek faction becomes too powerful, an escalation occurs where the Persian Empire declares war on them.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the idea...
  • PERICLES1789PERICLES1789 Junior Member Posts: 47Registered Users
    Hi

Well I clearly understand Darios ‘s objections. There still would be several differences with Wrath Of Sparta.

Persian Empire would be playable.

The campaign map would be larger, with Ionian Cities ,Ionian Revolt to be assisted.

Context would be different as Greek Cities would be at war with Persia from the beginning.

After Darios objections I would therefore propose a significant patch concerning Wrath Of Sparta to include Greco-Persians Wars, with some significant historical battles.

Another way would be a scripted campaing about Xeonophon ‘s Anabasis (the 10.000 greek mercenaries retreat after Cyrus death).

edited April 24

After Darios objections I would therefore propose a significant patch concerning Wrath Of Sparta to include Greco-Persians Wars, with some significant historical battles.

Another way would be a scripted campaing about Xeonophon ‘s Anabasis (the 10.000 greek mercenaries retreat after Cyrus death).

I do feel that WoS underwhelmed in many respects, focusing too much on pleasing SPARTA!!! fanboys as opposed to really introducing players into Classical Greece. The campaign could have easily began with the Persian invasion of Greece and ended with the Peloponnesian War.

I also hate how Sicily wasn't included in the campaign map, as the attack on Syrakousai was a very important juncture in the war.
  • dge1dge1 Moderator Arkansas, USAPosts: 12,152Registered Users, Moderators, Knights
    Greece and Persia. I hope not. It was done in the Alexander campaign, an awful compliation of "stuff" to say the least.
    "The two most common things in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity." - Harlan Ellison
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." - Hubert H. Humphrey
    "Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin
    dge1 said:

Greece and Persia. I hope not. It was done in the Alexander campaign, an awful compliation of "stuff" to say the least.

I quite agree. Sometimes I feel that people tend to get excited over historical figures, without actually giving thought to how it would actually play out in a Total War campaign.

For instance, the whole idea of an Alexander the Great campaign on the Warscape engine sounds absolutely terrible. By the time Alexander reaches Babylon, the Persian empire would probably already be picked apart by every minor faction in Scythia and Arabia.

You wouldn't even fight epic battles against well organized Persian armies. Unless there would be some Attila-esque scripting involved (which would also suck in its own way) the CAI would simply spam "Eastern pajama infantry" armies as opposed to the epic cavalry, immortals, etc. that would make fighting the Persians challenging.
  • Bura89Bura89 Senior Member Pisaurum, ItalyPosts: 554Registered Users
    dge1 said:

Alexander's campaign map still haunts my dreams.
  • SicarivsSicarivs Member Posts: 140Registered Users
    i really wish we could get a 3rd century crisis campaign. =\ it's pretty much an era never explored before, new armour sets, and a pretty challenging campaign to be played.
    Alexandre: it's funny how every total war game has it's own "realm divide"
    Alexandre: half of the world hates me by now
    BFI ' Lorenzohh: just the game's way of saying: you've played enough, **** you.
  • jamreal18jamreal18 Senior Member Posts: 5,615Registered Users
    I want to have a game called

"Total War: Greek"

Why do Greeks always put on shadow of Romans?
  • MonkeeyoMonkeeyo Senior Member Posts: 789Registered Users
    No. Plus wrath of sparta has a lot of issues
    Over the Alps perhaps!
    Team Athens
  • EpamonidasEpamonidas Posts: 8Registered Users
    It'd be interesting if they could somehow pull off Brennus/Certherius/Bolgios' invasions. Maybe increase the reinforcement range a bit so cross-faction allied conflicts are more common.

They'd have to put some effort into making hordes work better. Then again it wouldn't be a fruitless effort as they could use those ideas and chagnes in future TW games or even updating Attila/WH with it.
    Monkeeyo said:

No. Plus wrath of sparta has a lot of issues

I'm not sure what issues you've had with it, but it's probably the best campaign in Rome II imo. Although that's from using either Maximus183's Campaign overhaul or The Hellinika overhaul mods. CA was pretty lazy in their implementation, but they did enough to where it had a lot more potential than many of their other campaigns.

The only 'issue' I had was that it was absolutely mandatory to have a mod to turn off/limit agents in WoS. I've put a lot of hours in that campaign without ever one bug I can remember.

I'm guessing/hoping they'd be spending more time on this DLC release than they did on Wrath of Sparta.