Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Unit decoration suggestion for the next historical Total War

DirewolfDirewolf Posts: 2Registered Users
I have an idea I think could fit very well into the next historical Total War. I propose that after each "critical" battle, where you were expected to lose by say, 30%-70% or worse odds, you can get the option to decorate a unit that survived the battle. This choice comes up after the battle screen has closed and you are presented with a selection of all the surviving units, allowing the player to choose one that they believe was the most honorable, a group of spearmen that held the line, cavalry that cut down the enemy general, artillery that sunk hordes of oncoming ships, etc. This unit then gets a small bonus to morale for being pride of the land, a small unique ornament is attached to the flag they hoist into battle or on their coats or something similar to make them physically recognizable, and the player could even possible choose a small clothing addition to customize them with. Perhaps a wolfskin scarf or a golden line on their uniform. This would add a lot more emotion to the player and this unit, as they would feel a connection to them while also understanding that they could easily die if not cared for. If the ornaments and clothing are carefully selected it can still be made to fit the historical nature of the games, and it would add to the idea that this is the players army they command into battle.

Hope you consider adding this I think it would be deeply enjoyable.
Tagged:

Comments

• DirewolfDirewolf Posts: 2Registered Users
    I guess this doesn't go here but Im not really sure where else it can go so if someone could move it thatd be great.
  • Combat_WombatCombat_Wombat Posts: 4,092Registered Users
    Off topic probably
  • daelin4daelin4 Senior Member Posts: 16,235Registered Users
    Considering the idea, it would only be practical to have a counterpart where units that don't get the away risk feeling slighted and lose morale. Without such penalties, players risk giving the awards to random units and not care.

This sort of thing already kind of exists in the form of Lords/ generals gaining traits that directly or indirectly benefit the units, as well as unit veterancy; in Warhammer the existence of Banners also confer bonuses to specific units. None of them confer any visually apparent (especially noticeable) apparel that would let people know at a glance, I don't even thing Banners are clearly shown in battle mode.

It would also have to be very diverse set of cosmetic items, and/or very diverse set of awards, otherwise every other player's army on Youtube will feature something similar that the diversity is in reality non-existent. IMO how it benefits your army is more important than how it looks.

Corrected action is the most sincere form of apology.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file