Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

June Issue of PC Gamer Details Lizardmen Campaign Mechanics

JuiceJuice Junior MemberRegistered Users Posts: 75
Lizard players will be able to see the 'geomantic web' - a network of magical energies or ley lines, that power them up. As such they'll be constantly seeking out and capturing sites that are important to the web, but seemingly random to other players, who can't see the magical tube map beneath their feet. It's a suitably confusing and alien mindset for one of Warhammer's most inscrutable races.
The article also briefly touches on both of the Elven races, stating that the High Elves have an affinity for trade, not just for sake of accumulating money, but to set up spy networks. There is little mentioned of the Dark Elves' campaign gameplay other than that it will feature pillaging and raiding.
Tagged:

Comments

• GunKingGunKing Registered Users Posts: 624
    Woooooooow that geomantic web idea sounds very similar to Indypride's post about Lizardmen a few months back. What a happy coincidence! That'd be cool if it was randomized each campaign.

Hope there's a slaving mechanic for the DElves. If you just pillage and raid for the sake of pillage and raiding... that's more of a Chaos thing.
  • KrunchKrunch Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 5,065
    Juice said:

Lizard players will be able to see the 'geomantic web' - a network of magical energies or ley lines, that power them up. As such they'll be constantly seeking out and capturing sites that are important to the web, but seemingly random to other players, who can't see the magical tube map beneath their feet. It's a suitably confusing and alien mindset for one of Warhammer's most inscrutable races.
    The article also briefly touches on both of the Elven races, stating that the High Elves have an affinity for trade, not just for sake of accumulating money, but to set up spy networks. There is little mentioned of the Dark Elves' campaign gameplay other than that it will feature pillaging and raiding.

What I think would be super awesome would be if the geomantic web was randomized each time. One game It turns out city x is important to the web, the next game you will have city y be important to the web while city x is completely off it. If not randomized webs, then at the least it would be cool if there were some pre-sets and it could be you don't know what they are until you start the game. Also, I wonder if the megamap™ will be affected by the Web, or if it is only for the Vortex Campaign.

Also like the idea of High Elf trade spies. Around Elves watch Yourselves after all.
  • VonhellstingVonhellsting Registered Users Posts: 825
    I wonder if geomantic web will fixed or there will be multiple configurations that could load so people can't predict what the lizardmens goals are after several plays with them.
  • ZilongZilong Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 501
    I'd guess it's only for the vortex campaign. Though, it probably could work with the mega map, but who knows how complicated it would be to add to that campaign.
  • Grakor456Grakor456 Registered Users Posts: 124
    To be fair, most of the victory conditions would need to be changed anyway if you want any of the factions to move outside of their home map. I'd hate for the mega campaign to also lose the unique victory styles of the Wood Elves and Bretonnians, for example.

I like the idea, though. I think it's cool that the different races are now starting to get their own unique victory conditions, instead of "destroy these three other factions."
  • TheGhostOfProman16TheGhostOfProman16 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,749
    I think in the FAQ it mentions their going to recreate victory conditions so factions have reasons to move locations
    Died during the great YOYO wars
  • DerbyherbDerbyherb Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 87
    Grakor456 said:

I like the idea, though. I think it's cool that the different races are now starting to get their own unique victory conditions, instead of "destroy these three other factions."

I like the idea too yet I'm not sold on the implementation so far. Bretonnia for me turns into hitting the end turn button a lot. Accumulating 1000 chivalry and winning quest battles does not require you to be all that active.
  • Wargol5Wargol5 Registered Users Posts: 1,414
    edited May 2017
    They put more importance on the trade mechanic !? I like this.
  • GallandrGallandr Registered Users Posts: 105
    As many have said, hopefully it is random for the lizzies with their web. In fact, it is a no brainer not to do so, or you lose the possibility of having a different campaign each game. And I believe CA would like us to have different campaigns at each time. So we will see, but indeed, hoping for a big yes!
  • daelin4daelin4 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 16,513
    link?

Corrected action is the most sincere form of apology.
  • ODM_EmptythoughtODM_Emptythought France, ParisRegistered Users Posts: 671
    daelin4 said:

link?

I think you need to buy it as it is a paper magazine.

PS : I don't know about you but "link?" is kinda rude ;)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I live in France.... I like animes, mangas, greek/egyptian and roman culture (antiquity + mythology). I usually play Total Warhammer or Battlefleet Gothic and sometimes Vermintide.
    I play almost exclusively MP though 1 or 2 campaigns from time to time can't hurt ;).

Fine.

Screenshot please.

• nyraannyraan Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 164
    News! :O I was so hungry for news haha
    thank you for sharing this!
  • GallandrGallandr Registered Users Posts: 105
    daelin4 said:

Fine.

Screenshot please.

I love you, man )
  • epic_159733007811cHJwei4epic_159733007811cHJwei4 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 3,549
  • NeverBackDownNeverBackDown Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,864

UK or US ?

Probably UK. Since CA is based in the UK and last time they did something like this I am pretty sure it was PCGamer UK as well.
  • TorakTorak Registered Users Posts: 799
    No mention of the secret 4th race cough skaven cough. :(
    Team skaven
  • JuiceJuice Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 75
    daelin4 said:

Fine.

Screenshot please.

Get it while it's hot.
  • lucibuislucibuis Registered Users Posts: 6,980
    TW: age of sigmar confirmed
    Ariel only, no fads allowed.

• FinishingLastFinishingLast Registered Users Posts: 4,744
    Total War: Smurf Defense confirmed.
    SiWI: "no they just hate you and I don't blame them."
  • SaurianDruidSaurianDruid Registered Users Posts: 1,601
    This sounds awesome. The fact the other side can't see the Geonmantic web means that playing against the Lizardmen should be suitably vague and difficult to decipher as it should be, and make their behavior very erratic. Possibly declaring war to take a single minor settlement and then immediately asking for peace.

This also confirms that a big part of the Lizardman campaign will be about rebuilding the Lizardmen empire rather than just being a campaign of aggression.
    If this "web" is invisible to other factions, and it should appear confusing for the player, then it should be randomized, or adjustable by the AI.

Considering the description my first impression is that it's just Warhammer version of Fall of the Samurai's Railway system: you build a structure in that region, and armies can be transported at much faster distance from adjacent, linking regions. Considering it's niche appearance and potential I wouldn't mind this mechanic, though maybe that's better off for a Skaven mechanic?
    Nothing in the article suggest anything like transporting armies though, it could just be a sort of economic or Winds of Magic bonus between regions, or maybe allows reinforcement from armies located in the settlements of adjacent-linked regions? I hope it's not something simplistic like "link X regions to win campaign".

As for seeking and capturing these important sites, it sounds like they are either fixed points in the campaign map, or CA has dramatically improved the AI to discern dynamic important spots on the map on their own without player input.

• DerpyRoxasDerpyRoxas Registered Users Posts: 3,348
    edited May 2017
    No one read about bondage pirates?

Zandri or Vampire Coast kinda confirmed :D

Sorry, I misunderstood bondage for bandages, utterly failing.
  • TayvarTayvar Registered Users Posts: 12,406
    GunKing said:

Woooooooow that geomantic web idea sounds very similar to Indypride's post about Lizardmen a few months back. What a happy coincidence! That'd be cool if it was randomized each campaign.

Hope there's a slaving mechanic for the DElves. If you just pillage and raid for the sake of pillage and raiding... that's more of a Chaos thing.

Yes Dark Elves Players want to have the option to capture beautiful slaves, CA make it happen. :)

http://warhammerfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Dark_Elves#Economy
  • DraxynnicDraxynnic Registered Users Posts: 10,968
    I'm somewhat curious as to how the elves might interact with this, on two counts:

First, the elves (mostly the High Elves, but the Wood and Dark Elves interact with it in their own way as well) have the waystone network, which basically feeds magic into the Vortex in a regulated way. While the waystone network is not the same as the geomantic web, the impression I get is that the two do link together in some fashion, and sites of great magical importance are likely to be common to both. So while the elves won't see the geomantic web directly, they may well have information that allows them to indirectly guess at some pieces of it. (And if the skaven *cough* unidentified fourth race are interfering with the vortex, they might also have information that can provide hints as to what locations the Lizardmen might be interested in.)

Secondly, it's in the lore that there are certain places in the geomantic web that are occupied by High Elves, and the Lizardmen are happy with this state of affairs because the activities and simple presence of the High Elves serve to maintain and protect those sites, to the point where Lizardmen armies will occasionally help defend High Elven settlements. It would be interesting to have a mechanic where, while it's best for any site to be occupied by Lizardmen, some younger races are better than others as alternative occupiers. For instance, High Elves might be almost as good as Lizardmen, while Skaven occupying an important node might be very bad - which might give the Lizardmen player(s) an incentive to ignore nearby High Elven occupants of a site on the geomantic web in favour of driving Skaven from a more distant site.
    edited May 2017
    I doubt they'll remain that true to the lore, they've already made lore-like concessions for same of gameplay, ie Karak Hirn always picking fight with Dwarfs, and confederation mechanic in general.

Sorry, I misunderstood bondage for bandages, utterly failing.

Bandage pirates? Argh avast, I plunder your ambulances,. and shall ever find my buried treasure you'll instead find a cache of first aid kits!

• CrajohCrajoh Member Registered Users Posts: 2,297

I wonder if geomantic web will fixed or there will be multiple configurations that could load so people can't predict what the lizardmens goals are after several plays with them.

Yea hoping it is random for each game.
    Live your life and try to do no harm.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." Evelyn Beatrice Hall
    My first guess is it's one of their Commandment options, so you got to pick between one of a few benefits, Geomantic Web among them.