Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Lizardmen Roster Extremely Un-Loreful Units

Comments

• ShermanSherman Member Registered Users Posts: 916

If they are feral this should mean they can go to rage easily. What i'm curious about is if rage mean "you can't control them" or also "they can kill your own units".
  • EizoEizo Registered Users Posts: 1,016
    Kayosiv said:

Did they? As I recall he was the 10th Grymloq.

are you sure your not getting Grymloq confuse with Boneripper, because Thranqol is on his 8th version of his rat ogre I believe
  • Horus38Horus38 Registered Users Posts: 934
    Phaonix said:

They retconned that in 8th edition, the Grymloq Kroq-Gar rides in the current time is the same one he rode during the fall of Xhotl

Oh snap, they did! Nice spot:
    "By the time the Elves enacted their G reat Ritual, onlyK roq-G ar and his ageless C arnosaur G rym loq remained."
  • MrMecHMrMecH Registered Users Posts: 2,389
    You should argue since Squig Herd release. I'm fine with feral Dinosaur if they are also expensive in MP and player can't spam them.
    SHUT UP GIVE US GHORGON!!!!!

• CnConradCnConrad Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 3,194
    Sherman said:

If they are feral this should mean they can go to rage easily. What i'm curious about is if rage mean "you can't control them" or also "they can kill your own units".

I'm hoping that different ferals have different amounts of control.

Ie carnosaur will attack once the enemy gets within 50m regardless of your orders.

But the stegosaurus will follow orders untill first contact.
  • talonntalonn Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,582
    I am actually glad about this. It means that CA actually has more flexibility to create contents than what we thought.

Now bring on FAR EAST for Warhammer 3!
  • yukishiro1yukishiro1 Member Registered Users Posts: 511
    edited May 2017
    It's obvious they're doing it because it's a way to pad the roster size without having to do any extra work, just take models you've already got and reissue them.

The beastman roster is especially guilty of that particular sin. Gors with this! Gors with that! Gors with this AND that!
  • wingren013wingren013 Registered Users Posts: 1,032

It's obvious they're doing it because it's a way to pad the roster size without having to do any extra work, just take models you've already got and reissue them.

The beastman roster is especially guilty of that particular sin. Gors with this! Gors with that! Gors with this AND that!

Those Gors are all the options you could get on the TT. Or do you also have an issue with the Empire getting multiple variations on State Troops.
  • BelialxvBelialxv Senior Member SteppesRegistered Users Posts: 1,627
    There's nothing a Slann can't mind **** into submission and force to fight in its army.
    ajz9uoslnqoi.jpg

HUITZILOPOCHTLI

god of war

LIZARDMEN #makelustriagreatagain
    Clan Moulder #masterclan
  • GreyKnightDantesGreyKnightDantes Registered Users Posts: 282
    edited May 2017

Those Gors are all the options you could get on the TT. Or do you also have an issue with the Empire getting multiple variations on State Troops.
    this is the inheritent problem when making a game based off a table-top. If you don't have all the different units, you'd get slammed for cutting content.

Meanwhile Starcraft 2 can get away with releasing 2-3 expansion packs each with the same 3 faction but with only 3-4 entirely new and unique units and reusing models and animations for the rest....

==========================================================================================

"Burn! Burn with the fires of Change! Scream your hymns to Tzeentch!"
    -Tal'gatha the Fallen

• JavorJavor Registered Users Posts: 910

this is the inheritent problem when making a game based off a table-top. If you don't have all the different units, you'd get slammed for cutting content.

Meanwhile Starcraft 2 can get away with releasing 2-3 expansion packs each with the same 3 faction but with only 3-4 entirely new and unique units and reusing models and animations for the rest....

Exactly!

It's a battle CA can't win. People are even acting all surprised that the dread saurian wasn't part of the roster, a damned forgeworld model of all things... I mean really?

It's as if all those people claiming CA are scammers have lost touch with reality.

Your starcraft analogy is perfect!
  • Tempus_fugitTempus_fugit Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,368
    What Mr Command n Conrad said.

Also, I am going to run a skink heavy list with skink skirmirshers and spears two to three priests and two chiefs all mounted under the command of a slann or old blood until we get skink lords and a whole bunch of dinosaurs and pterosaurs - all archosaurs really - and just go nuts. I am going to see whether I can make it work. Dinosaurs empowered by the lores of heaven, light and beast should rock.
    There is no time but the present. – S:TW Hojo, R:TW Brutii/Germania/Alemanni(BI), Med2: Venice, S2: Oda, R2: Julia/Boii/Suebi/Lusitani, Attila: Geats/Garamantians, WH: All factions VH, Wood Elves on L. TWWH2: Lizardmen, Dark Elves, Skaven, Khalida, High Elves, Vampirates. ME: Khalida, Vampire Counts, Carcasonne, Wood Elves
  • obippoobippo Member Registered Users Posts: 2,676
    edited May 2017
    Just remove them via modding, it won't take more than 2 minutes when the game is released. If you need help with that LMK.
    Always be aware when a Content Refusing Troll Brigade (CRTB) representative is near. Contact your local Witch Hunter for further info.

• NazredNazred Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 980

Also, I am going to run a skink heavy list with skink skirmirshers and spears two to three priests and two chiefs all mounted under the command of a slann or old blood until we get skink lords and a whole bunch of dinosaurs and pterosaurs - all archosaurs really - and just go nuts. I am going to see whether I can make it work. Dinosaurs empowered by the lores of heaven, light and beast should rock.

Is it confirmed which lores the slann have in the game?
  • ITA_Vae_VictisITA_Vae_Victis Senior Member ItalyRegistered Users Posts: 1,851
    Nazred said:

Is it confirmed which lores the slann have in the game?
    Only High magic, from what we know so far.
  • DalakhDalakh Senior Member FranceRegistered Users Posts: 1,937
    CnConrad said:

Sherman said:

I'm hoping that different ferals have different amounts of control.

Ie carnosaur will attack once the enemy gets within 50m regardless of your orders.

But the stegosaurus will follow orders untill first contact.
    They do, they said so in the stream. Carnosaurs and Cold Ones are the most feral, then Stegadon, then Bastiladon is pretty chill.
    "We shall strike down our foes with sharp steel and cold hearts. The weak die so that the strong prevail and none shall be spared. Then and only then will our enemies know the true meaning of fear."

— Malekith, Witch King of Naggaroth
  • HolyRhinoHolyRhino Registered Users Posts: 3
    I agree that "extremely" un-loreful was hyperbole on my part, more like "irritatingly un-loreful".
    Okay, yes in the Storm of Magic supplement you can bind monsters from all sorts of races, one of the main things I didn't like about it; it takes away a lot of the uniqueness when you can have just about everything from everyone. But this is not Storm of Magic which is a particular scenario campaign in which the Winds of Magic go bonkers because... reasons I guess, I never actually owned the book for that one.

If we're using Storm of Magic abilities in this why can the Empire not also have herds of wild dinosaurs? Storm of Magic has nothing to do with this, it's just making it all "one with the jungle-y". Stegadons and Bastilladons I can almost understand but a Carnosaur? These things are exceedingly difficult to tame for use as a mount by a powerful Saurus (RIP so, so many Skinks), if they could just be like "Hey there Carnosaur, fancy tagging along for some battle? Maybe swing by mine for charades afterwards"...

Carnosaur: "Ah, Jeff the Skink, my squash partner; of course I shall attend your battle, don't suppose you're up for tea and crumpets followed by a few rounds of golf this coming Tuesday, eh?" (I am of course, joking, any fool knows that golf comes before tea and crumpets but this is a "feral" Carnosaur after all, you can't expect him to be _perfectly_ civilised).

If it is to do with "bulking out" the Lizardmen roster then why not add, say... Salamander and Razordon hunting packs? Ripperdactyls? Actual units (although not the Dread Saurian, it was taken from Forge World and added for Age of Sigmar and frankly I dislike that addition; just stop trying to make "suddenly there is a bigger and better version of *current biggest and best monster* with a much stupider name" happen, GW. You keep pulling this stuff). Yeah, I know, saving them up for Tehenhauin's DLC.
    I used to think that the Lizardmen roster was more than sufficient long before Bastilladons and Ripperdactyls (who haven't been announced) were introduced in 8th, with them included? Especially given that, rather than having this "feral" Stegadon you could just have the Stegadon and Ancient Stegadon with the howdahs, that already gives you two points levels of Stegadon with no need to make up a third.

Like whatshisface said, I don't want an AI that spams dinosaur armies without a Lizardman in sight, nor do I want that inevitably happening in multiplayer. It sounds fun but I'd rather these riderless dinosaurs were added in a mod rather than needing to be removed be one, that way they don't become a meta of any kind and we can have actual Lizardmen armies guaranteed.
  • KlausTheKatKlausTheKat Registered Users Posts: 584
    Think of it like this...

8th Edition was the final ever version of Tabletop Warhammer Fantasy Battle.

Warhammer: Total War franchise is 9th Edition Warhammer Fantasy Battle.

Therefore, yes, entirely canon. If you want an exact and faithful 8th Edition experience then I suggest you shell out a crapton of money on an army of miniatures and a rulebook.

Also, I see no reason why intelligent dinosaurs wouldn't utilise packs of their less intelligent, ferocious brethren to rampage amongst an invading enemy's lines.

Finally, the reasons given by CA for their inclusion are entirely justified and substantiated. I, for one, am a very happy little bunny with the roster and can't wait to see dinosaurs vs dragons vs gigantic spiders vs brown-trousered Bretonnian peasants.
  • TayvarTayvar Registered Users Posts: 12,406
    talonn said:

I am actually glad about this. It means that CA actually has more flexibility to create contents than what we thought.

Now bring on FAR EAST for Warhammer 3!

That's a long shot, adding feral version of the same units, is easier then adding totally new units.
  • Wargol5Wargol5 Registered Users Posts: 1,414
    C'mon, even a mere skink priest can take control of jungle swarms, it's easy to imagine that they can (barely) include into their armies some feral monsters with enough magical power and preparations.
    The only good thing coming out of your post, OP, is that I now know I will have a skink chief called "Jeff the Skink"

For that you have my thanks!
  • HarconnHarconn Registered Users Posts: 943
    Hopefully Orks&Gobbos will get this mechanic, too in some way (especially Squig Herds).
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________________

My German Youtube-Channel - Let's Plays (Strategy, RPG, Indie,...): https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChwblqvwr8XxKP0GzCcUb8Q
  • TayvarTayvar Registered Users Posts: 12,406

The title is quite the exercise in hyperbole.

Considering these units are all mounts, I don't know how you say it's "extremely unloreful". They do exist. Extremely unloreful in my mind would be something made up that doesn't even fit, like Battle Rabbits or something, lol.

Maybe the word feral is throwing everyone off but to me "feral" units have always felt more like "slight trained" monsters. Not paired with a rider and wouldn't let anyone ride it but trained enough to be sent in the direction of the enemy to munch on them.

Personally I'm glad Lizardmen are not limited to only mounts for monsters.

Also the Most Unexpected and New Model would be the Bastiladon with Revivification Crystal.
  • UrgatUrgat Registered Users Posts: 996
    edited May 2017
    HolyRhino said:

I agree that "extremely" un-loreful was hyperbole on my part, more like "irritatingly un-loreful".
    Okay, yes in the Storm of Magic supplement you can bind monsters from all sorts of races, one of the main things I didn't like about it; it takes away a lot of the uniqueness when you can have just about everything from everyone. But this is not Storm of Magic which is a particular scenario campaign in which the Winds of Magic go bonkers because... reasons I guess, I never actually owned the book for that one.

[snip for smaller size].

I can sum this up with "I don't count SoM because I didn't like it".

That's not how it works. Whether you like it or not, whether it's in one book or not (no different than say, an armybook. I don't have the lizardmen book, so I can ignore lizardmen altogether?) is completely irrelevant, they're there, in the 8th ed fluff. Closing your eyes, plugging your ears with your fingers while screaming "Lalala can't hear!" won't make them go away.
    As for why can't the Empire take them? Why no SoM rules beyond that? Because choices, some good, some bad. Why can't I have squig manglers in my night goblins army? Btw, SoM magic rules are somewhat in the game anyway, through some events.
  • boyfightsboyfights Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 4,023
    As a feral Canadian I for one am glad to see some video game characters I can relate to, cheers CA
    boyfights you are always here to confirmate every spark of originality
    or reason burns or acid bruises anyone,
    stop your gladiator love for agressions.
  • boyfightsboyfights Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 4,023
    *A pack of wild tigers rampages through town tearing everyone to shreds*

Total war gamer: that's pretty cool, but I mean.. who's in charge??
    boyfights you are always here to confirmate every spark of originality
    or reason burns or acid bruises anyone,
    stop your gladiator love for agressions.
  • Mr_Finley7Mr_Finley7 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 6,945
    boyfights said:

As a feral Canadian I for one am glad to see some video game characters I can relate to, cheers CA

Hahaha. Awesome.
    Boyfights joins the battle at last!
  • GamgeeGamgee Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,204
    edited May 2017

is this a strawman? troll-post? I don't even...

anyway, those units are nice, have entirely new mechanics, and they are free

I really hope CA hardcodes these units into the game to prevent sour partypoopers from having fun, after trying to poop the party

A strawman... post? You have no idea what a logical fallacy is do you, and you have no idea how to call a strawman fallacy if you seen one. I award you -10 points.

The OP is giving an opinion. It is literally impossible for him to have a strawman argument in this case because he is making the topic of discussion.

If anything you are the one closest to a logical fallacy yourself by committing an ad hominem attack. I think your post has to be one of the dumbest things I've read in years. So dumb it is worth calling out even if I get banned for it.
    Prophet of Cathay.
  • MrJadeMrJade Senior Member Lansing, MIRegistered Users Posts: 7,165
    Gamgee said:

A strawman... post? You have no idea what a logical fallacy is do you, and you have no idea how to call a strawman fallacy if you seen one. I award you -10 points.

The OP is giving an opinion. It is literally impossible for him to have a strawman argument in this case because he is making the topic of discussion.

If anything you are the one closest to a logical fallacy yourself by committing an ad hominem attack. I think your post has to be one of the dumbest things I've read in years. So dumb it is worth calling out even if I get banned for it.

This isn't entirely accurate. You could certainly make a strawman fallacy when starting discussion. If the OP had said, "The Feral units aren't fluff-accurate and I've heard that some of you hear like it because it is fun and you hate the lore!" That would be a strawman unless OP could cite someone who said that.

Also, he didn't really ad hominem either, he just implied that the post is a troll. He's being a jerk, but no fallacies have been committed here.