Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Newbie help

BALLYSEAGALBALLYSEAGAL Posts: 2Registered Users
Started a battle today with my roman army and was up against over 1000 German spearman all in one big massive line. I had a fairly mixed bag of soldiers but tell you the truth is didn't have a clue what to do!! They trounced me as soon as the fighting started!

What do I need to do in future?

I only started playing this 3 weeks ago first ever total war game.

Comments

• Raphael4722Raphael4722 Posts: 6Registered Users
    edited May 20
    I assume you're talking about the spearmen that can form the phalanx formation. Yeah phalanxes can be tough to combat with non-phalanxes. You have to attack phalanxes from the sides and back to beat them. Just have one infantry unit engage them from the front and then for example charge them from the back with some calvary. Getting archers behind the enemy army and firing flaming arrows into their backs is very effective, but it's harder to sneak archers behind obviously.

Also if you're facing a long line of phalanxes don't engage them all at once. Attack the ones on the sides or the more isolated ones first. It may take a lot of micromanaging to accomplish this. German spearmen should rout pretty easily if you follow these two pieces of advice. Wait until you have to fight Armored/Spartan hoplites or Macedonian Royal Pikemen to complain! Those phalanx units will be difficult to rout even when surrounded.