Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Total War WARHAMMER 2 - Introducing... Temple Guard

Comments

• TayvarTayvar Registered Users Posts: 12,406

Tayvar said:

HoneyBun said:

Tayvar said:

Setrus said:

That looks brutal. Throw like that...ouch. Also, the movement of those others...all lithe savagery, it looks like.

Yes that was brutal, even though someone with Saurus's strength don't need to put so much effort to kill one simply Elf, but as the Trope goes, "there is no kill like overkill". :)
    There is more to life than TV tropes.

just sayin
    Not when it's comes to judging games and videos, also just saiyan, is better then just sayin.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Characters/TotalWarWarhammerTheLizardmen
    Seriously, I love TV Tropes, but it is not a source. It's basically wikipedia and is edited by a bunch of people who aren't anywhere near experts.
    Maybe not experts, but they are sure Genre Savvy, and TV Tropes is better at explaining things then many of the so called 'experts', sometimes simply is better, no need for overdetail.
  • JavorJavor Registered Users Posts: 910
    Goatforce said:

These guys look great!

How do they measure up in the lore against other elite infantry?

Pretty well! Especially since they are usually guarding a Slann, who in turn buffs them.

They beat any dwarf, empire, greenskin, beastmen, vampire counts, tomb kings, bret and Skaven infantry unit pretty much.

They have great stats save for initiative, and potentially 4 attacks each (2 as standard, that can generate one additional attack each)

Chosen are still better, and I never played with or against any elves for some reason, so I can't say too much about those. Phoenix guards are some damned tough bastards!

This is of course if looking at a same-size regiment vs same-size regiment - cost has to be taken into account too.
  • PhiloslothicalPhiloslothical Registered Users Posts: 859

Dalakh said:

Did... did she just throw the halberd into the air and caught it as an attack?

That's so over the top, I love it!

Threw it in the air, caught it like a javelin then threw it again.
    sooooooooooooooo coooooooooooooooooool!
    Can't think of anything else to say....

Sooooooooooooooo coooooooooooooooooool!
    Praise the sun ! \[T]/
  • SeldkamSeldkam Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 4,455
    edited May 2017
    Javor said:

Goatforce said:

These guys look great!

Pretty well! Especially since they are usually guarding a Slann, who in turn buffs them.

They beat any dwarf, empire, greenskin, beastmen, vampire counts, tomb kings, bret and Skaven infantry unit pretty much.

They have great stats save for initiative, and potentially 4 attacks each (2 as standard, that can generate one additional attack each)

Chosen are still better, and I never played with or against any elves for some reason, so I can't say too much about those. Phoenix guards are some damned tough bastards!

This is of course if looking at a same-size regiment vs same-size regiment - cost has to be taken into account too.
    4 words:

Executioner's of Har Ganeth ;)
    The inferior races of this world will be crushed one by one, as our armies move from shore to shore, and hill to hill, and city to city-- and each of their cries will be as music to our ears, for we are the Druchii.
  • KrilralKrilral Member Registered Users Posts: 910
    Narrator: "The Temple Guards are the ultimate in discipline, forming an impenetrable formation of shields and scales while advancing on the enemy with stoic determination."

Video: "GET 'EM BOYZ! WAAAAAAAAGHHH!!!!"
  • Mr_Finley7Mr_Finley7 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 6,945
    My god those HE shields are absolutely hideous. Just give them plain white shields with a rune on them or something. They've got all the colors of some popsicle stand abomination. Was Tartrazine/Yellow 5 a citadel paint color or something?
    edited May 2017
    Seldkam said:

Javor said:

Goatforce said:

These guys look great!

4 words:

Executioners weren't all that scary though. Blackguards were better, if I remember correctly.

What were the stats? Something like ws 6, A 1, t 3, s 3, i 5, L 9? And they had hatred?

edit: I will say that the executioners definitely looked badass!

Also, ny memory of their rules was before they got their newest book and models.
  • Combat_WombatCombat_Wombat Registered Users Posts: 4,092
    Oh dear Khorne the shields are worse than ever. What the hell are they thinking?
    Javor said:

Seldkam said:

Javor said:

Goatforce said:

These guys look great!

4 words:

Executioners weren't all that scary though. Blackguards were better, if I remember correctly.

What were the stats? Something like ws 6, A 1, t 3, s 3, i 5, L 9? And they had hatred?

Also, ny memory of their rules was before they got their newest book and models.
    Disclaimer:

I never played 8th edition and practically none in 6th as I was quite young and just couldn't afford the models-- but this is just my own opinion from watching Bat Reps from 8th and reading up on the units.

Yea in 8th executioners generally are an auto include because of their monstrous melee capabilities. I think the issue in 8th at least with Black Guard was executioners were simply better. Black Guard had stubborn, Eternal Hatred, etc., basically lots of side grades and armor, halberds, overall not bad.

But... they were expensive AF and Executioners have the potential to ALWAYS WOUND: Executioners have murderous prowess like all DElves, so reroll 1s, and against most enemy infantry they need 2s to wound so you basically always wound enemy infantry. Really good stuff. I don't think Black Guard were capable of this though I may be wrong.

But ultimately it was a matter of cost if I remember my research correctly.

The inferior races of this world will be crushed one by one, as our armies move from shore to shore, and hill to hill, and city to city-- and each of their cries will be as music to our ears, for we are the Druchii.
    Seldkam said:

Javor said:

Seldkam said:

Javor said:

Goatforce said:

These guys look great!

4 words:

Disclaimer:

I never played 8th edition and practically none in 6th as I was quite young and just couldn't afford the models-- but this is just my own opinion from watching Bat Reps from 8th and reading up on the units.

Yea in 8th executioners generally are an auto include because of their monstrous melee capabilities. I think the issue in 8th at least with Black Guard was executioners were simply better. Black Guard had stubborn, Eternal Hatred, etc., basically lots of side grades and armor, halberds, overall not bad.

But... they were expensive AF and Executioners have the potential to ALWAYS WOUND: Executioners have murderous prowess like all DElves, so reroll 1s, and against most enemy infantry they need 2s to wound so you basically always wound enemy infantry. Really good stuff. I don't think Black Guard were capable of this though I may be wrong.

They'd be wounding Temple guards on 3+ though, where the temple guards would wound them back on 2+.

Sure, they reroll 1s, but saurus/temple guard get an additional attack for every 6 they get when rolling to hit.

Executioners hit on 3+ vs TG, TG hit on 4+, but have an extra attack (potentially 4 in total, compared to the executioners 1)

I can't remember executioner cost though. Temple guard were 14 or 16 points.

Doing the numbers, I believe an equal number of executioners vs temple guard would result in the temple guard winning most of the time.

Again, this is from what I remember from their second to newest army book, so my info could be dated. GW went overboard with a lot of stuff by the end of 8th, giving several units extra attacks, giving all factions monsters etc.
  • CnConradCnConrad Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 3,194
    Let's see

Unbreakable ✓
    Halberds ✓
    Shielded ✓
    Heavy armor ✓
    Ward save✓
    Health Regeneration ✓

Yep sounds perfectly balanced!
  • DalakhDalakh Senior Member FranceRegistered Users Posts: 1,937
    CnConrad said:

Let's see

Unbreakable ✓
    Halberds ✓
    Shielded ✓
    Heavy armor ✓
    Ward save✓
    Health Regeneration ✓

FTFY
    "We shall strike down our foes with sharp steel and cold hearts. The weak die so that the strong prevail and none shall be spared. Then and only then will our enemies know the true meaning of fear."

— Malekith, Witch King of Naggaroth
  • KayosivKayosiv Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,753
    Goatforce said:

These guys look great!

They are among the toughest and best armored, but are quite slow and have average fighting ability for elites.

Their leadership is legendary and puts Dwarfs to the test.
    Space Frontier is a sci-fi themed board game I've designed for 2-4 players. Please take a look and enjoy our free Print-and-Play at FreezeDriedGames.com

If you have any questions about tactics or mechanics in Total War Warhammer multiplayer, feel free to PM me.
  • KayosivKayosiv Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,753
    Goatforce said:

These guys look great!

They are among the toughest and best armored, but are quite slow and have average fighting ability for elites.

CnConrad said:

Let's see

Unbreakable ✓
    Halberds ✓
    Shielded ✓
    Heavy armor ✓
    Ward save✓
    Health Regeneration ✓

They do not have a ward save, health regeneration, and they are not unbreakable (although they are immune to psychology like Black Orcs and Longbeards).
    Space Frontier is a sci-fi themed board game I've designed for 2-4 players. Please take a look and enjoy our free Print-and-Play at FreezeDriedGames.com

If you have any questions about tactics or mechanics in Total War Warhammer multiplayer, feel free to PM me.
    Kayosiv said:

Goatforce said:

These guys look great!

CnConrad said:

Let's see

Unbreakable ✓
    Halberds ✓
    Shielded ✓
    Heavy armor ✓
    Ward save✓
    Health Regeneration ✓

They do not have a ward save, health regeneration, and they are not unbreakable (although they are immune to psychology like Black Orcs and Longbeards).
    @Kayosiv @Dalakh

CA said that they were unbreakable and protected by glyphs.
    CA also said all Lizardmen can regenerate health.

I am just going by what CA has announced if for some reason you know more about the game than CA I guess I'll just have to take your word for it.
    CnConrad said:

Kayosiv said:

Goatforce said:

These guys look great!

CnConrad said:

Let's see

Unbreakable ✓
    Halberds ✓
    Shielded ✓
    Heavy armor ✓
    Ward save✓
    Health Regeneration ✓

@Kayosiv @Dalakh

I am just going by what CA has announced if for some reason you know more about the game than CA I guess I'll just have to take your word for it.
    They said all lizardmen regenerate? Weird...

Ubreakable does match the lore, if not the TT. And that's how I prefer things...
  • Wargol5Wargol5 Registered Users Posts: 1,414
    edited May 2017
    CnConrad said:

Let's see

Unbreakable ✓
    Halberds ✓
    Shielded ✓
    Heavy armor ✓
    Ward save✓
    Health Regeneration ✓

They're not so OP.
    In the tabletop game, they have a low Initiative and bad Weapon Skill stats compared to other elites troops and they can't restrain pursuit due to the rule Predatory fighter.

So, in the game they should have a poor attack stat, sluggish in fight and maybe difficult to control.
  • HisShadowBGHisShadowBG Registered Users Posts: 3,422

CnConrad said:

Kayosiv said:

Goatforce said:

These guys look great!

CnConrad said:

Let's see

Unbreakable ✓
    Halberds ✓
    Shielded ✓
    Heavy armor ✓
    Ward save✓
    Health Regeneration ✓

@Kayosiv @Dalakh

They said all lizardmen regenerate? Weird...

Ubreakable does match the lore, if not the TT. And that's how I prefer things...
    I think they said that they will regenerate cause of the Cold Blooded rule which is weird

She had fought beside Aenarion in the days of her youth, killing daemons, slaughtering the enemies of her people with wild abandon. She had cast spells and brewed poisons and worked out battle strategies for his armies. She had used her gift of visions to grant the elves victories innumerable.

The so-called high elves had forgotten that now, preferring to cast her as the villain in the simple-minded morality plays they so enjoyed since her son had sundered the realm. They had no idea what it had cost to win those battles back when all thought the world was ending, or the price she had paid for victory.
  • DalakhDalakh Senior Member FranceRegistered Users Posts: 1,937
    CnConrad said:

In TT they are very hard to break, Ld 8 Stubborn , Immune to Psychology and Cold Blooded, which is NOT Unbreakable although it's about the next best thing.

In TT they don't have a ward save and the glyphs mentioned here are just ornament.

They don't actually regenerate. The regeneration ability is tied to characters that can single target heal units out of combat:
    CA_Duck said:

CA_Ato said:

Not an aura, an active ability that targets a single unit.

Cheers deckerm, please feel liked :).

also is it really true that all units have regen at the cost of weakness..??
    Only characters, but they can target any Lizardmen unit with it.

There you go. :)
    "We shall strike down our foes with sharp steel and cold hearts. The weak die so that the strong prevail and none shall be spared. Then and only then will our enemies know the true meaning of fear."

— Malekith, Witch King of Naggaroth
    edited May 2017
    Dalakh said:

CnConrad said:

In TT they are very hard to break, Ld 8 Stubborn , Immune to Psychology and Cold Blooded, which is NOT Unbreakable although it's about the next best thing.

In TT they don't have a ward save and the glyphs mentioned here are just ornament.

They don't actually regenerate. The regeneration ability is tied to characters that can single target heal units out of combat:
    CA_Duck said:

CA_Ato said:

Not an aura, an active ability that targets a single unit.

Cheers deckerm, please feel liked :).

also is it really true that all units have regen at the cost of weakness..??
    Only characters, but they can target any Lizardmen unit with it.

There you go. :)
    Like I said I'm just going off of what CA said. Just because something is in TT doesn't mean it's in game.

In the unit reveal they said that they will fight untill their unit is wiped out = unbreakable.

In the steam they said all Lizardmen can heal outside of combat.

Perhaps the glyphs are decorations but they were listed alongside their halberds and before their armor so I assumed they were more than cosmetic.

Edit:

To make it clear I don't care in the least if these units end up massively op or not. I am not a Table Top guy and have no allegiance to any faction. I personally prefer non linear balancing and am completely ok with over the top rare expensive units or super cheap cannon fodder.
    All my **** about how terribly, experience ruiningly horrible the HE shields look, and i forgot to congratulate CA on how good the temple guard look.

Please make the HE look this good, i beg you!
    Javor said:

Seldkam said:

Javor said:

Seldkam said:

Javor said:

Goatforce said:

These guys look great!

4 words:

Disclaimer:

They'd be wounding Temple guards on 3+ though, where the temple guards would wound them back on 2+.

Sure, they reroll 1s, but saurus/temple guard get an additional attack for every 6 they get when rolling to hit.

Executioners hit on 3+ vs TG, TG hit on 4+, but have an extra attack (potentially 4 in total, compared to the executioners 1)

I can't remember executioner cost though. Temple guard were 14 or 16 points.

Doing the numbers, I believe an equal number of executioners vs temple guard would result in the temple guard winning most of the time.

Again, this is from what I remember from their second to newest army book, so my info could be dated. GW went overboard with a lot of stuff by the end of 8th, giving several units extra attacks, giving all factions monsters etc.
    Objectively your info is dated, so I'm not sure why you're even comparing the TG to executioner's. However my point is proven anyways since halberds don't actually improve the chances of winning vs tg (though the extra attack might help, I'd rather have the killing blow from the executioner's anyways...)

But the comparison here doesn't matter even with the 8th edition stats, as I was (and you were too) talking in general about these units vs other units as a whole, not just TG
  • Tempus_fugitTempus_fugit Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,368
    CnConrad said:

Let's see

Unbreakable ✓
    Halberds ✓
    Shielded ✓
    Heavy armor ✓
    Ward save✓
    Health Regeneration ✓

Oh, you must mean Oathsworn.

Yeah, I agree except to ask what is the difference to being killed to a man (or bipedal lizard warrior) without breaking, and being unbreakable?
    There is no time but the present. – S:TW Hojo, R:TW Brutii/Germania/Alemanni(BI), Med2: Venice, S2: Oda, R2: Julia/Boii/Suebi/Lusitani, Attila: Geats/Garamantians, WH: All factions VH, Wood Elves on L. TWWH2: Lizardmen, Dark Elves, Skaven, Khalida, High Elves, Vampirates. ME: Khalida, Vampire Counts, Carcasonne, Wood Elves
  • RikRiorikRikRiorik Registered Users Posts: 11,030
    Liking it!

The thing about Total War Warhammer is that no matter the amount of campaigns and hours I have poured into them (500+ hours as of now) I always find a reason to revisit a race.

And now with the new game coming I can see countless more hours being spent playing around with the new roster of races all of which I am looking forward to playing much more than the majority of game 1s roster (although Dwarfs and Empire will likely never get old).

TWW is fast becoming one of my absolute top tier gaming experiences in a 30 year love affair with video games.
    Lord of the Undermountain and your friendly neighbourhood giant (Dwarf)
  • endurendur Registered Users Posts: 4,074
    Awesome leap!
  • SaurianDruidSaurianDruid Registered Users Posts: 1,601
    I absolutely adore those weapons. Like someone attached a macuhahuitl to a glaive, two of my favorite melee weapons, and turned it into the ultimate polearm.
  • VlKlNGVlKlNG Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 593
    CA is one strange company. They do amazing work on the lizard men, and make the elves look so aweful. Please CA! Please improve them elves!

And for the love of everything holly, make sure the Skaven are also great!!!!!!
  • JaggsauceJaggsauce Registered Users Posts: 387
    Yess.... Yessssss.... mhmhmehehehehehehehahHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA AAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHA
  • EmarthEmarth Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 401
    edited May 2017
    Temple guards are pretty good in 8th ed. However they are held back by their low initiative and lack of great weapon. In general id put them above empire and ork infantry, about on par with hammerers and worse then Helf and chaos elite infantry.

Trmple guards are primaraly a bunker unit to protect the slann. A role they excell at.
  • GoslingGosling Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,887
    I like the shields, so there.

Also, the Temple Guard has now the most badass cinematic yet.
    "I'm gonna stomp 'em to dust. I'm gonna grind their bones. I'm gonna burn down dere towns and cities. I'm gonna pile 'em up inna big fire and roast 'em. I'm gonna bash heads, break faces, and jump up and down on the bits that are left.

An' den I'm gonna get really mean."

Grimgor Ironhide, Black Orc Warboss.