Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Remastered Napoleon To Bring Optimization in-line With Other Titles.

AgentGBAgentGB Junior MemberRegistered Users Posts: 463
Is there any chance we may be able to see one more DLC for Napoleon? It's a tight little game with a fairly still sizeable and active player base, but there are some problems which unfortunately still plague it, and it's mostly in the multiplayer campaign, which is a real pity. I'm realist, and I understand to go back and do some work on a old title means pulling bodies of other titles, and work does need to be paid for. I would quite happily pay for a DLC that would help support a optimization patch, or something that increases the network reliability in multiplayer campaign games. Old titles like Shogun 2 & Fall Of The Samurai are rock solid in stability, performance, and visuals, standing the test of time, it's a joy to dust of the old titles and get stuck into a multiplayer campaign with someone knowing that there won't be any desynchs, radical ticking difficulty switches, and general all round good performance, even during insane huge battle sizes. The only thing that seems to let down Napoleon is it performance issues, especially during multiplayer, which is crucial, it's horrid getting a desynch, and having to replay a battle, from which your opponent has learnt from, reducing the element of surprise tactically in battles. It is a extremely fun game to play in multiplayer campaign, the economy system, the line battles, the excellent ship battles, really does the time period justice.

If you look in the multiplayer battle lobby, there are usually always people playing it, but if you look in the multiplayer campaign lobby, that is generally few and between. I think the reason is because of the unreliability, and the slight need for a little optimization, all CA titles after Shogun are sound has a pound when it comes to multiplayer campaigns, you have really worked out the issues, but you have left this timeless title by the wayside, and it's quite a shame. Now I know you probably don't want to hear this, but it could actually be beneficial to go back and perhaps give it a little touch up. The Paradox model of games see a lot of there older titles still receiving DLCs that help optimise and improve game mechanics. Now in regard to Napoleon, there isn't much in the way of mechanics or game content to qualify a new DLC for it, or atleast from my point of view, since it's been done well enough already. But perhaps a remastered version could be the way to go? Even if it's paid for to get the upgrade. I can't see you guys going back anytime soon and making another Napoleon, so I don't see much harm if possible going back and giving Napoleon a little go over in the optimization/performance department.

It's a longshot anyway, and I understand the position you're in, and you're a good company, that give a lot of Free-LC to the player base, a lot more then other companies, but I would quite happily fund and support CA should they choose to give Napoleon the remastered touch or a DLC that would help fund or give justification to do a little bit of rework on the title.

Ideas:
Napoleon Remastered
Unit Pack

You may not actually shift much in the DLC department, but I think when words get around that Napoleon is running like a dream comparable to Shogun, Rome 2, and Warhammer in multiplayer campaign. Hopefully you will break even after a certain duration.

Thanks For Reading.

p.s Oldies are the Goldies

TLDR: please try to improve performance for multiplayer campaigns, so Napoleon plays just aswell like Shogun 2, Rome 2, Warhammer in multiplayer campaign, increasing optimization, and reducing desynchs for this great old title. Would happily pay for DLC or a remastered upgrade. Thank you

Comments

• GoslingGosling Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,887
    It won't happen: the game is closer to a decade old than not, and will be having 0 manpower spent on it.

"I'm gonna stomp 'em to dust. I'm gonna grind their bones. I'm gonna burn down dere towns and cities. I'm gonna pile 'em up inna big fire and roast 'em. I'm gonna bash heads, break faces, and jump up and down on the bits that are left.

An' den I'm gonna get really mean."

Grimgor Ironhide, Black Orc Warboss.
  • AgentGBAgentGB Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 463
    Thats a pity, because some of the things that are broken would probably be quite easy for CA to fix now.

It's quite amazing how plently of other folks still have similar problems in mp campaign
    https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/187694/multiplayer-bug-forced-autoresolve#latest

oh well

thanks for your reply
  • AgentGBAgentGB Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 463
    edited May 2
    I still stand by alot of what i said here in the original post, the problems are still present. Also tried to play Napoleon recently on the hardest difficulty setting and had the game hang in the middle of a turn because the campaign ai managed to block its own unit or was unable to process it turn which was a little disappointing.

Alot of multiplayer campaign anomalies are probably still present, from ticking difficulty sliders, to randomly being placed in control of an allied army while the ai or opponent uses your army in a head to head campaign.

That said, made this post a while ago, i was unaware of some of the leaps that would be made in Three Kingdoms and Fantasy with campaign mechanics. For this reason, i would not be against actually updating the title, infact adding extra mechanics that refreshes the experience & could strengthen it, i think a straight up remaster isn't enough, it would need to be Napoleon 2.0 in all but name:

- Newer campaign mechanics where it makes sense
    - Perhaps expanding the map, so terrain takes longer to march over or adding more regions to meat it out, especially in Europe, so its more difficult to snipe factions.
    - Improving the campaign & battle ai & difficulty for much harder settings. Also there ability to manage over-spill town growth
    - Reduce models (individual units) sliding into place to fight, play out their animation
    - Keep battlefield scaring on the map present so it doesn't disappear
    - Weather effects similar to 3k that affect your armies
    - More named regiments or ability to name regiments like currently but also change their appearance slightly to make them unique, Nothing outrageous, keep it within the faction style's, but perhaps some cosmetics. OR Perhaps they can be actual standards/flags carried by the units that can be changed? So you could potentially use a regiments historical buffs after renaming them? So they can carry the regimental colours that you can select next to the countries colours.

Ideas for Campaign Mechanics:

Made this post a while back, some of it aged, some of it would still be useful: https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/237010/ideas-for-a-napoleonic-war-ii-with-multiplayer-versus-taken-into-consideration#latest

- General Sniping (was always a problem in Napoleon where artillery ammo was unlimited) (see thread above) The ai is also not great at keeping its General at harms way, so a stalk ability would increase its survivability & require scouting to locate a General positioning if wanting to snipe.

- Increased Army sizes & unit sizes:, similar to Darthmod, while also perhaps using it as a function to implement Corps/Divisions, atleast at minimum for Legendary Generals, so that big battles are always guaranteed when LL meet & cannot be separated so easily using lightening strike abilities. So you can really get a chance to see the "grand army" of Napoleon.

- Division/Brigade Commanders: that can be 'attached' to a regiment via 'banners', but will actually be represented by the officer model in the regiment and if killed in battle the 'banner/officer' is lost. This way you can play around with the command structure alittle with some of your regiments in your army, if for example you can assign 3 division or brigade commanders to a 20 stack via 3 units. So buff stacking doesn't become too powerful, the ceiling will be low if limited to so many per army from a "global force pool" from the "officer corp". But will feel quite thematic to see these officers under your command get killed or not. There could perhaps be a mini leveling system for the officer(banner) that can tier up to a maximum of three levels, in my write up i go over some of this, but i've changed the context of it here to a more slimmed down and perhaps fun version that gives a sense of story telling and attachment to officers under your command. Also gives the artillery something else to target that isn't actually the General too, since they would act as a back up to leadership in battle. So it doesn't become a management game, it needs to draw from a force pool off officers and there should be an option for them to be auto assigned to select regiments if killed acting as keystone regiments for the army.

- Capturing Colours/Standards: This could be a form of another currency and perhaps even faction mechanic of aristocracy vs meritocracy, but ideally, captured colours/eagles/standards can be used as an additional way to purchase higher ranked Division/Brigade Commanders (Banners) Not everything I've written about this in my other thread could work, but hopefully it will spur some better ideas on a system that doesn't allow too much buff stacking, but does allow you to have some sentimental attachment to your units, so when doing the role call after battle you can see which of your junior officers made it. Perhaps a twist on the "man of the hour" could be a junior officer from a regiment who proven himself in a battle now becomes a banner. A captured eagle/colours would be when a unit if charged and routed in melee & the regiment is below a certain amount of models to its starting strength.

- Regiments gaining traits: Hopefully this can be based on the sort of actions they fight, that is a form of battle honours that adds to the regiments reputation, that can potentially make all regiments feel somewhat unique. To avoid buff stacking, have it so that a unit can only achieve a maximum of three traits and will change based on what they do, e.g staunch firing line, forlorn hope, die hards etc, and can also be negative, like skulkers. Also so that the unit cannot just be disbanded if gaining all negative traits, have it so that a cost is inccur if disbanding a unit, or a standard/colour/eagle is lost from that currency. This will give character to each regiment, that some parts of your line may be prone to be weaker or stronger due to these traits. Modifiers don't need to be drastic, just adds a bit of flavour and randomly a chance of the battle to flow differently.

- Order Of Battle: So you can select which units will enter the fray, should also help the ai too, made a post here about it, seems like it would be relevant here too. https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/287591/suggestion-order-of-battle-controlling-what-units-reinforce-a-battle#latest

Not sure what else, ignore the economy changes and recruitment buffs maybe i suggested in my initial idea post for a Nappy 2, but would not be against some changes, same with stuff like added supplies for armies, so that its perhaps more beneficial to have a General in command of an army instead of leaderless armies marching around, that may be fine for moving around in controlled territory or acting as a garrison.

--------

Overall its a longshot, but given Rome is being remastered, and currently Napoleon is sort of not working terribly well as it could and is a good game, that perhaps sometime in the future, it may be considered for a spit and shine and with that, not just a remaster, but some modifications and enhancements to give the game some added depth, perhaps before attempting Empire. I also understand that Napoleon probably doesn't have as much appeal as Rome Remaster does, so i haven't got my hopes up, but even so, i hope some of this is worth a look and can be helpful for future titles.

There perhaps tons of ways perhaps Brigade/Division Commanders can be done,