Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

TW:W1-only players won't be able to play multiplayer versus TW:W2 players.

Comments

• KayosivKayosiv Senior Member Posts: 1,986Registered Users
    Yeah this is a big blunder. Yet another reason why we need faction < que < build army instead of que < pointless counterpick until somebody leaves the game < maybe play after 2-3 attempts.

It does kind of make sense that someone who only ones WH 1 couldn't play against someone who only owns WH2, but it sounds like even somebody who owns both couldn't play against someone who only owns one of them?

Dividing the multiplayer community into 2 games that are effectively 1 game is a poor decision and I hope that the technical issues with it are actually legitimate because it is such a bad idea. The game needs all of its players in one place. Dividing them up into 2 and eventually 3 games will just weaken the value of the product over the long hall.

And if CA is really into this for a 10 year stretch... they've got work to do to make sure that doesn't happen.
  • ValkaarValkaar Junior Member Posts: 664Registered Users
    Is there a source for this? Everything I've heard up to now has said the opposite....that multiplayer is interchangeable similar to how people who didn't buy beastmen could still play against beastmen.

Maybe I'm just out of date or haven't read the right source....but I haven't read a single source saying the multiplayer won't be compatible. But yeah could you please share the link for this?
  • BillyRuffianBillyRuffian Moderator UKPosts: 31,535Registered Users, Moderators, Knights
    edited June 5
    I think what they have said is that if you own game two you can play against both game factions, but if you only own game one you can't play against game 2 factions.
    I assume the reason being that game 2 will contain assets for both games (otherwise the combined campaign would be a non-starter), but game one only contains game 1 assets.

"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts - for support rather than illumination." (Andrew Lang)

|Takeda| Yokota Takatoshi

Forum Terms and Conditions: - https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest

"We wunt be druv". iot6pc7dn8qs.png
  • KurtaliciousKurtalicious Posts: 204Registered Users
    Valkaar said:

Is there a source for this? Everything I've heard up to now has said the opposite....that multiplayer is interchangeable similar to how people who didn't buy beastmen could still play against beastmen.

Maybe I'm just out of date or haven't read the right source....but I haven't read a single source saying the multiplayer won't be compatible. But yeah could you please share the link for this?

https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/6f4njh/compilation_of_all_tww2_new_information/
  • ValkaarValkaar Junior Member Posts: 664Registered Users
    ^^ thank you

That is disappointing. Even if it doesn't launch compatible, I hope they patch it so it is shortly after release.
  • EizoEizo Posts: 716Registered Users
    Wait, So the limitation goes like this

TW1 owner can only play with other TW1 owner

TW2 owner can only play with other TW2 owners and the owners of both game

So the only benefit of owning Both game is playing TW1 faction in TW2 MP
  • salsichasalsicha Posts: 3,093Registered Users
    "TW:W1-ONLY PLAYERS WON'T BE ABLE TO PLAY MULTIPLAYER VERSUS TW:W2 PLAYERS."

Are StarCraft and StarCraft II compatible? How about Doom and Doom II? Seriously, how dumb are you?
  • Lotus_MoonLotus_Moon Posts: 1,397Registered Users
    I disagree It MP should be compatible as warhammer world should allow all races to be played against one another.

Ofcourse using the race you should own the game but playing against it should not be affected by which game you own in MP
  • RiggsenRiggsen Member Posts: 1,958Registered Users
    Yeah that would have been the sensible way of doing it. Play vs any faction, but can only play as the factions you own. As it stands currently, people only owning WH1 will be in a separate (and very lonely) QB queue?
    "CA WHY U NU UNPOOP GAME" (Dank TW meme of 2011)
  • ProtagonisteProtagoniste Posts: 156Registered Users
    My guess is that quick battles in WH2 will feel exactly as they do now in WH1 because everybody who's interested in MP will happily buy WH2 as soon as it is out.

WH1 quick battles, however, will be deserted.

It sucks that it has to work that way but it is also quite easy to imagine reasonable technical reasons to explain the situation. WH2 is not just some long running free to play game receiving a major update. It is a stand alone product that probably has enough differences here and there to make it incompatible with WH1.
    "If" multiplayer was a primary concern they would have done the exta work to fix that. Obviously they don't have the willingness/ability to commit those resources.

I worry that this will just alienate WH1 players who don't purchase WH2 right away and find that nobody is playing WH1 anymore.

I remember playing Shogun 2 and fighting Fall of the Samurai armies and thinking how crazy and awesome that was.

I get that it would be weird to have gigabytes of space downloaded on your machine just so you could play against (but not as) the new races... but I think they need to treat this as an expansion of new races just like the DLC or its going to dilute things, especially when there's 3 games.
  • TheokolesOfRomeTheokolesOfRome Senior Member The Highlands in me kilt.Posts: 1,438Registered Users
    Hmm, this still seems speculative to me.
    My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/brightbluejacket1
    Watch if you like high quality, edited and cinematic videos with informed content.
    My Rig:
    i7 4790k @ 4ghz
    1 x Titan X Pascal
    16GB 2400Mhz Ram
    1TB SSD Drive
    34" Curved Monitor 3440x1440p
  • irurobinirurobin Posts: 1,440Registered Users
  • ShetlandApacheShetlandApache Posts: 283Registered Users

I think what they have said is that if you own game two you can play against both game factions, but if you only own game one you can't play against game 2 factions.
    I assume the reason being that game 2 will contain assets for both games (otherwise the combined campaign would be a non-starter), but game one only contains game 1 assets.

I would reply by saying this is just chance for CA to screw over the people who don't want to invest in TW W2. IF a player without a DLC faction can play a player with one, there seems no logical reason why someone without TW W2 assets shouldnt be able to play vs a TW W2 opponent.

I would repeat that unless there is a credible reason for this given, this is just CA punishing people who don't want to buy their new game the second it releases.
  • dge1dge1 Moderator Arkansas, USAPosts: 13,023Registered Users, Moderators, Knights
    Not sure what the problem is with a company setting up how they release a product for sale when there is no requirement to purchase if it does not fit a personal player desire for play. I always thought intellectual assets posted on the market were the same as any other type of product. If you don't like the product then you don't buy it.

The three game setup was annnounced back when game one was released. There was also an overview of how things would come together as each game was released (several times as various additional content elements were released).

Choice is still in the hands of the consumer, as it always has been.
    "The two most common things in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity." - Harlan Ellison
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." - Hubert H. Humphrey
    "Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin
    I don't see your point.

Lots of people buying game 2 and leaving game 1 multiplayer servers with a vastly diminished player pool has nothing to do with consumer choice. Multiplayer being divided was never discussed. It was reasonable to assume that any race could play any other race because that's how it works now. I don't own the Beastmen DLC, but can play against a Beastman multiplayer opponent. I figured it would be the same with game 2 races.

Doing anything to divide an already tiny multiplayer community is a mistake that will lead to less sales over time.

I would reply by saying this is just chance for CA to screw over the people who don't want to invest in TW W2. IF a player without a DLC faction can play a player with one, there seems no logical reason why someone without TW W2 assets shouldnt be able to play vs a TW W2 opponent.

I would repeat that unless there is a credible reason for this given, this is just CA punishing people who don't want to buy their new game the second it releases.

Unfortunately, assets are not the only thing that needs to be shared for the games to be compatible. The systems and the underlying tech of both game could very well have evolved separately. It seems likely that the WH2 team worked in a separate code branch for years in order to develop freely, without impacting the stability of WH1 (which was on a very different timetable).

I was surprised too when I learned that the MP scene would be split when WH2 will be released... but it is not that surprising once you take into account the context in which games are developed.
  • irurobinirurobin Posts: 1,440Registered Users
    edited June 10
    @ShetlandApache

Yup. There is not a single race i am interested in game 3 so I won't buy it. CA : oh so you don't get to play MP in the future! :D

@Protagoniste

Unlikely. Their original plan is main game + 2 expansion but they changed the plan after seeing the profit of squishing DLC in game 1. I don't mind paying more ( I think the game is too cheap to be honest.) but I do mind waiting. (Leaving Griffons, all Elite High Elves archers for DLC (need to wait for months...) + plastic texture is getting on my nerves now.)

@dge1

"Not sure what the problem is with a company setting up how they release a product for sale when there is no requirement to purchase if it does not fit a personal player desire for play."

< Yeah right. Remember Chaos Day 1 DLC?

IF a player without a DLC faction can play a player with one, there seems no logical reason why someone without TW W2 assets shouldnt be able to play vs a TW W2 opponent.

How is this different from any other video games you have ever played? When have any of you ever bought a game that was compatible with later versions of the game? Do you understand that the game engine changed between game 1 and game 2, and not just assets? Why does anyone expect that two completely different games engines should work together? Like if they fix cycle charging in game 2, how could a game 1 player play against a game 2 player? One player could cycle charge but the other couldn't? What "logical reason" can there possibly be for how that would work?
  • Combat_WombatCombat_Wombat Posts: 3,157Registered Users
    It's almost as though CA is trying to kill MP.

Next TW game won't have MP! Calling it now!
    salsicha said:

IF a player without a DLC faction can play a player with one, there seems no logical reason why someone without TW W2 assets shouldnt be able to play vs a TW W2 opponent.

How is this different from any other video games you have ever played? When have any of you ever bought a game that was compatible with later versions of the game? Do you understand that the game engine changed between game 1 and game 2, and not just assets? Why does anyone expect that two completely different games engines should work together? Like if they fix cycle charging in game 2, how could a game 1 player play against a game 2 player? One player could cycle charge but the other couldn't? What "logical reason" can there possibly be for how that would work?
    Hey Salsicha, not being very tech savvy or a developer I was unaware of the engines that they are using. That being said if you pay the extra $60 you can magically play between engines... I don't really understand any of your points. There are plenty of games that come out with compatible and optional expansion packs.... But to be honest, I, like much of the community, is under the impression they are using the same engine in game 2. Further if they wanted to curry good favor and avoid a negative reaction, they shouldnt have released a pay to play Chaos that was unoptimized alongside the main game on Game 1s release. That is saying "we have a complete game, but you need to pay us extra if you want the whole thing since the base game is just 4 very very very unfinished races."
    edited June 10
    salsicha said:

Hey Salsicha, not being a developer or very tech savvy, I was unaware they are using two different engines. That being said, for a mere $60 you can magically play between the engines all of a sudden. To be honest I, along with a large portion of the community, believed game 2 would use the same engine as game 1. There also happen to be plenty of games where expansions are compatible and optional..... Also if CA wanted to curry favor with their audience, game 1s release would not have been alongside a pay to play dlc, which is like saying: "we have a full game to release, but you have to pay us twice for it, since our base game is 4 very unfinished races, which you will need to pay more in the future to actually properly use." So honestly Salsicha, I don't see any logic behind your points since they can overcome every obstacle you mentioned for $60 of your cash..... also they already announced all changes are retroactive.... so it sounds like the same game engine to me bud.

EDIT: IT SEEMS I WAS MISINFORMED, SORRY FOR THE NEGATIVITY AND THANK YOU SALSICHA FOR CORRECTING ME
    Post edited by ShetlandApache on
    edited June 10

That being said, for a mere $60 you can magically play between the engines all of a sudden.

Do you realize what you are saying? You are saying that TWW1 players can play against TWW2 players. Why do you believe that? If it were true then this entire thread is wrong.
    edited June 10
    What the FAQ says is that you can play any FACTION that you own. In game 2, you can play factions from game 1 that you own. THATS IT. That doesn't mean that you have launching the game 1 engine or somehow playing game 1, it just means you have access to assets that you purchased.

also they already announced all changes are retroactive....

Where did they say that?
  • TheokolesOfRomeTheokolesOfRome Senior Member The Highlands in me kilt.Posts: 1,438Registered Users
    Wow. This thread reads like it belongs in General Discussion. :D

As much fun as there is to be still playing Game 1 - I'm really looking forward to playing the factions of Game 2 in Multiplayer alongside all the others.

If none of you are going to join me then tbh you won't be missed.

It's almost as though CA is trying to kill MP.

Next TW game won't have MP! Calling it now!

That's weird - I thought CA were giving us FFA and have been quoted as saying that if MP picks up they will add more MP features?

Really surprised at the level of qq here. From some of the names I'd have expected you all to be buying Game 2 anyways...

My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/brightbluejacket1
    Watch if you like high quality, edited and cinematic videos with informed content.
    My Rig:
    i7 4790k @ 4ghz
    1 x Titan X Pascal
    16GB 2400Mhz Ram
    1TB SSD Drive
    34" Curved Monitor 3440x1440p
    I'm definitely buying game 3 and really looking forward to the new features.

Hey Salsicha, not being very tech savvy or a developer I was unaware of the engines that they are using. That being said if you pay the extra $60 you can magically play between engines...

It's all hypothesis of course, but if both game are indeed running on two different versions of the engine then there is no "play between engines" happening.

In this scenario, when you launch game two, it simply checks if you have WH1 in your steam library (or something similar). It then unlocks the use of the WH1 factions inside the WH2 version of the game if you are allowed to use them.

The upside of this approach is that it is likely to enable team WH2 more freedom to keep improving the core systems and tech of the game.

That being said, this is just speculation. We don't know the real reason. What we do know is that there is nothing unreasonable about believing that technical and production reasons are more likely than some evil plan to force MP players to buy game two. Think about it:

1) Players that define themselves as MP players first are a relatively small part of the TWW community.
    2) These players are also pretty hardcore. Most of them are likely to buy game two anyways. No need to force them to do so.
    salsicha said:

What the FAQ says is that you can play any FACTION that you own. In game 2, you can play factions from game 1 that you own. THATS IT. That doesn't mean that you have launching the game 1 engine or somehow playing game 1, it just means you have access to assets that you purchased.

Well if that is the case I am really sorry from the numerous youtube announcements it sounded like tw 2 players would be able to play people with everything from TW W1 and TW W1 players would be denied multiplayer vs TW W2 players despite changes being retroactive and universally applied.

If I was mistaken, I am sorry. Also I don't mena to be overly negative, but it feels from the secondhand information i gleaned (which is my fault for not looking at the source) that TW W2 was going to be great, but would abandon TW W1 players entirely in multiplayer, which I find disappointing and sad because I love this game, but can understand how someone might not want to immediately invest into a new one.

If you scan to 4:00 you will hear PartyElite say that TWW1 players CAN play TWW2 players in multiplayer.