Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

What The Teams Are Working On 07-06-17

CA_WhelanCA_Whelan Posts: 505Registered Users, Moderators, Administrators, CA Staff, SuperAdmin, Community Team
edited June 7 in News and Announcements!
Here's a new update on what our teams have been getting up to since our last post

https://www.totalwar.com/blog/what-the-teams-are-working-on-07-06-17
Tagged:

Comments

• SantobubuSantobubu Member Posts: 317Registered Users
    Music to my ears, thank you very much @CA_Whelan
  • jamreal18jamreal18 Senior Member Posts: 6,091Registered Users
    edited June 7

Who's that in the picture?

I remember Arminius.... He has wolf pelt and that is the logo of Cheruscii...
    Post edited by jamreal18 on
  • BillyRuffianBillyRuffian Moderator UKPosts: 31,594Registered Users, Moderators, Knights
    jamreal18 said:

That's CA_Whelan.

"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts - for support rather than illumination." (Andrew Lang)

|Takeda| Yokota Takatoshi

Forum Terms and Conditions: - https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest

"We wunt be druv". iot6pc7dn8qs.png
  • SuliotSuliot Senior Member Posts: 386Registered Users
    Oooohh, that's some interesting stuff! Now I'm really impatient and want to know more about all of that historical content! DON'T TEASE US LIKE THIS DAMN IT!
  • StrachysStrachys Senior Member Posts: 241Registered Users
    jamreal18 said:

That's CA_Whelan.

Think he means the guy on horseback B) I'm going to say it ties in with what the Historical Flashpoint Team is doing.

• BillyRuffianBillyRuffian Moderator UKPosts: 31,594Registered Users, Moderators, Knights
    Strachys said:

jamreal18 said:

That's CA_Whelan.

Think he means the guy on horseback B) I'm going to say it ties in with what the Historical Flashpoint Team is doing.

So do I. Just my way of suggesting he be more specific.

The horseback guy looks fairly Medieval. What's not been covered in depth there?

"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts - for support rather than illumination." (Andrew Lang)

Forum Terms and Conditions: - https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest

• StrachysStrachys Senior Member Posts: 241Registered Users

The horseback guy looks fairly Medieval. What's not been covered in depth there?

Yeah I know, its more a dream we'd get some more medieval content..I suppose Kingdoms covers most bases.

• mmurray821mmurray821 Moderator Posts: 5,116Moderators
    Might be from the flashpoint release. Fall of Rome maybe? Fits with the Fall of the Samurai CA threw out there as an example.
    Total War Forum: Terms and Conditions
    I've never seen the Icarus story as a lesson on the limitations of humans. I see it as a lesson about the limitations of wax as an adhesive.
  • DreadedNorwegianDreadedNorwegian Senior Member Posts: 1,127Registered Users
    edited June 7
    Ah, I just posted a comment about how it was time for a new update. Tadaa! Here it is!
    That artwork dude looks veru gallic/celtic to me, kinda looks like vercingetorix, but seeing sa they already made a dlc about that battle (caesar in gaul), I`m in the blank. Maybe it`s a "germanic wars" campaign, or, less likely, a britannic dlc, maybe involving boudica?

On a side note, is the art from the standalone game or the historical dlc?
    No retreat,No surrender! FORWARD!!
    Til Valhall!
  • ESKEHLESKEHL Senior Member Posts: 310Registered Users
    It looks like Rome II, but I do hope that it`s an Rome II campaign for Attila. That would be awesome
  • frozenmenbgfrozenmenbg Senior Member Posts: 719Registered Users
    a 3rd Viking DLC for Attila will be an lazy overkillfrom CA. A Better setups will be a Rise of Islam in 634ad and Rise of Christianity With Constanite the Great - a good Duo DLCs for Attila if you ask me.And TW:Victoria starting in 1880s.Thats my bets.
    This is my +FrozenmenBG+'s Collector's Rome 2 Overhaul Mod Pack Edition In top 8 Highest voted Mod compilations for Rome 2 in the Steam Workshop.

Check out The Barbarian Invasions - Overhaul Mod for the Grand Campaign with 8 New Starting dates(395ad-681ad) mod coming soon to TW: Attila. It adds several new factions to the game with their unique rosters .
    edited June 7

Ah, I just posted a comment about how it was time for a new update. Tadaa! Here it is!
    That artwork dude looks veru gallic/celtic to me, kinda looks like vercingetorix, but seeing sa they already made a dlc about that battle (caesar in gaul), I`m in the blank. Maybe it`s a "germanic wars" campaign, or, less likely, a britannic dlc, maybe involving boudica?

On a side note, is the art from the standalone game or the historical dlc?

The caption says it's from a campaign pack, so that should be DLC.

Post edited by BillyRuffian on

• IstrofIstrof Posts: 1Registered Users
    That man of the concept art...is wearing a Lorica Hamata right?
  • AxelradAxelrad Senior Member Posts: 201Registered Users
    Amazing news. All this historical content made my day!

Also new Warhammer stuff is cool too of course.
    ESKEHL said:

It looks like Rome II, but I do hope that it`s an Rome II campaign for Attila. That would be awesome

Maybe the flashpoint team is working on an alexander game?

Covers an era already visited, character focus and kinda short timespan.
    Til Valhall!

ESKEHL said:

It seems like celtic gear and clothing to me. So I`m guessing early roman times. I do hope it`s for Attila though
    ESKEHL said:

ESKEHL said:

It seems like celtic gear and clothing to me. So I`m guessing early roman times. I do hope it`s for Attila though
    Yeah I ment the standalone game they`re making, not the dlc.
    Til Valhall!
  • Ice_creamIce_cream Posts: 572Registered Users
    edited June 7

ESKEHL said:

As I understand it they will be covering an interesting short period rather than an iconic character period. Something like Fall of the Samurai, as they themselves have pointed out.

Besides they already covered Alexander with a Rome 1 expansion if I remember correctly.
  • LestaTLestaT Senior Member Posts: 1,925Registered Users
    Flaahpoint ia for the new gane right? That means 3 kingdoms!
    My Rig - CPU:Intel CORE i3-2100 @ 3.1 ghz MOBO: Foxconn H-67M RAM: 2x2GB CORSAIR PC1333 GPU: XFX HD5770 1GB GDDR5 PSU: FSP SAGA II 500w CASE: Gigabyte Chassis HDD: 1x Samsung F3 HD103SJ 1TB ODD: Samsung SH-S223L DVD/RW OS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit MONITOR: Samsung E2020X (LED) 1600x900
  • Tenerife_BoyTenerife_Boy Member Posts: 64Registered Users
    Dear CA:

With all due respect, while I like the idea of a new mini campaign dlc, IMHO it's more useful to bring tools to the community. Like the ones in Atila where you can create new cities from 0. Or maybe a tool to modify/expand the map with more cities (those areas around indian territories never released, never developed?) or easy tools to create new combat animations ! Hell you were lazy creating those hoplite, pike and thracian shield centered holdings.

• AxelradAxelrad Senior Member Posts: 201Registered Users
    The warrior in the concept art displays what is clearly the Cherusci symbol, so a Germania campaign is a safe bet. They used the wording "one of our more recent titles" so it makes sense for Rome 2, where they could even make the Cherusci playable in the GC as an added effect (something other campaign packs have often done.)

As for the Flashpoint Team's standalone expansion, that announcement is worded so vaguely that it could literally be anything, but I'd guess it's an expansion for Attila if the campaign pack is indeed for Rome 2 - that way each recent title gets new content. There's so much they could pick from it's hard to guess - especially just thinking of all the various "flashpoints" throughout the period.
  • Ituriel32Ituriel32 Posts: 107Registered Users
    I hope this is for Rome2.
    The picture I associate with german. But I do not lose hope that it will be Numidia. Because it is the only nation of Roma1 who did not get to roma2.
    Rome2 - Where is my Numidians?
    Warhammer - Please bring up the Ungrim moved to Karak Kadrin.
  • RafSwi7RafSwi7 Senior Member Posts: 810Registered Users
    Whoa! Excellent news!

Completed campaigns:
    ROMEII
    GC: Ardiaei, Arevaci, Baktria, Carthage, Cimmeria, Egypt, Iceni, Lusitani, Macedon, Massagetae, Massalia, Nervii, Odrysian Kingdom, Parthia, Pergamon, Rome, Royal Scythia, Seleucid, Sparta, Suebi, Syracuse.
    CiG: Rome, Suebi.
    HatG: Carthage, Rome, Syracuse.
    IA: Antony's Rome, Dacia, Egypt, Parthia, Pompey's Rome.
    WoS: Athenai, Sparta.
    ATTILA
    GC: Alans, Eastern Roman Empire, Himyar, Jutes, Ostrogoths, Venedians.
    TLR: The Roman Expedition.
    AoC: The Kingdom of Asturias, The Kingdom of the Danes, The Kingdom of Mercia.

WARHAMMER
    GC: Argwylon, Carcassonne, Clan Angrund, The Empire.
  • SpiderSpider Junior Member Posts: 23Registered Users
    edited June 8
    I hope to see a "Germanic wars" R2TW campaign from Augustus to Marcus Aurelius...
    If it`s for Rome II , I do hope that it brings along a series of updates that actually makes Rome 2 logical in terms of campaign gameplay. I do like Rome II when it comes to battles, but I still think that the way the campaign gameplay has been designed makes no sense at all.
  • dchiukdchiuk Posts: 6Registered Users
    At last an update!! I thought they had forgotten about their historic players :(

It all Sounds great...... please keep us updated more frequently now things are progressing??? Once a month would be nice??
    edited June 8
    The concept art makes me think that the new campaign pack will be for RomeII and be centered around Arminius and Germanicus or other campaing based on later Germanic Wars. Germanic factions have only one faction playable at the moment. It would be nice to see more of them.

As for the next standalone title... They have said that it will be set in era which has been already covered in Total War series, that they are fond of it and they have not done justice to it.

I guess it will be one of these (if based on Attila or RomeII engine):
    - Viking Invasion - already covered by CA in the past but IDK if it has "dramatically changed the course of history".
    - Mongol Invasion - important and already covered but it might end up as "Attila with Mongols".
    - Wars of Alexander the Great - short and important event, which has been already covered in as the expansion for RomeI. Still, they have also said it will be less character-based, so it might not be Alexander title.
    - Greco-Persian Wars (the second invasion) - very close to WoS campaign and important for Western Civilization. What is more WoS was not received as good as other campaign packs ("haven’t done enough justice to [this period]"). On the other hand it might be too similiar to Wrath of Sparta.
    Post edited by RafSwi7 on

Completed campaigns:
    ROMEII
    GC: Ardiaei, Arevaci, Baktria, Carthage, Cimmeria, Egypt, Iceni, Lusitani, Macedon, Massagetae, Massalia, Nervii, Odrysian Kingdom, Parthia, Pergamon, Rome, Royal Scythia, Seleucid, Sparta, Suebi, Syracuse.
    ATTILA

WARHAMMER
    RafSwi7 said:

As for the next standalone title... They have said that it will be set in era which has been already covered in Total War series, that they are fond of it and they have not done justice to it. They also said it will be less character-based and more tied to short but "history changing" event in the history, so it (most probably) won't be Alexander. I guess it will be Viking Invasion or something Greek related (since WoS was not received as good as other campaing packs).

If that`s their words about the next game ( less character-based and tied to more short but history changing event) I would rule out anything set in the hellenic era given that anything set during WoS period is character-based and greek wars where fought over centuries. I would also rule Vikings given how you can`t avoid getting character-based gameplay there. It`s hard to portrait the vikings without mentioning some of the most interesting characters of the age. For example Alfred the great.

Since it`s a non characterbased, short, but world changing time period that they feel they haven`t done justice in a previuous game, my bets are on Age of enlightment and Total War: Empire II

Why is that?
    • Any other era that CA has previously explored that hasn`t had a sequel in the last 5-7 years, is Medieval-series
    • And Medieval III, like Medieval II, wouldn`t be character-based - However, it would span across 4 centuries.
    • If it would be medieval related it would have to be about some of the Kingdoms campaigns getting a proper standalone-game.
    • If it was a Kingdoms campaign standalone game, my guess would be "Total War: Americas", given that it`s the only campaign large enough to fit into a concept of a standalone game
    • Any other guess would be Napoleon II, which fits in rather well with short but history changing timeperiod, but that pretty much contradicts the statement of non-character driven gameplay.
    • If you go on just the comment "they have not done justice to it" it could pretty much lean against Rome III, Medieval III or Empire II. However, Medieval III and Rome III doesn`t fit the description of non character-based, short but history changing event. That pretty much leaves you with Empire II
    If Empire II is the new historical game, I will be ohh so happy! :)

edited June 8
    @ESKEHL They have said it will be something like Fall of the Samurai, so I doubt we will see Empire II (not that I would not like to see it one day).

Completed campaigns:
    ROMEII
    ATTILA

WARHAMMER
  • jamreal18jamreal18 Senior Member Posts: 6,091Registered Users
    Regarding the stand alone game....

Fall of Samurai has connection with Shogun 2 in some way...

Alexander has no connection with Attila at all...
    Greeks and Alexander should have their own game though...