Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

What The Teams Are Working On 07-06-17

Comments

• DreadedNorwegianDreadedNorwegian Senior Member Posts: 1,175Registered Users
    edited June 2017
    https://media.giphy.com/media/xT77XWum9yH7zNkFW0/giphy.gif
    Basically how I reacted to these news.
    Enig og tro til Dovre faller!
  • Sughdian WarriorSughdian Warrior Senior Member Posts: 187Registered Users
    edited June 2017
    The style of the helmet seems distinctly from Attila's period. Not Rome 2.

So, the expansion pack, I think, is definitely for Attila. Especially considering that Rome 2 had enough of them already.
    The flashpoint standalone, I believe, is the Crusades. What else? It does not span one person's life, it's a "flashpoint" event - what else could it be? Rise of Islam?
    As for the new game, I still think it is set in the Victorian Era.
  • DreadedNorwegianDreadedNorwegian Senior Member Posts: 1,175Registered Users

The style of the helmet seems distinctly from Attila's period. Not Rome 2.

So, the expansion pack, I think, is definitely for Attila. Especially considering that Rome 2 had enough of them already.
    The flashpoint standalone, I believe, is the Crusades. What else? It does not span one person's life, it's a "flashpoint" event - what else could it be? Rise of Islam?
    As for the new game, I still think it is set in the Victorian Era.

I think the dlc campaign will involve Germanics and Arminius., aka Germanic wars. Read up in these guys, perfect setting for a campaign pack.

As for the standalone, somone mentioned an alexander themed game.

Third one could be china, since they talked about "the unique ui" and such. Also hoping for a Victoria total war.
    Enig og tro til Dovre faller!
  • ESKEHLESKEHL Senior Member Posts: 482Registered Users
    Well to be honest, it still could be an Empire styled game. First of all they haven`t done anything early-modern since Fall of the Samurai. If I was CA that would be an era to back to and get it right (of course that goes for Rome II as well but I think they`lll wait a few more years for that). If you only focus on the more interesting parts of the age of enlightment you will have in there the the seven years war, american revolution, french revolution. I think that makes a pretty cool backdrop if done right.

But I do generally hope that the next historical title avoids being a streamlined game a la Rome II and the TW game that has come out since then. That`s of course my personal opinion, but I do not like to much streamlining. In Rome II it got to a point where it was dumb-down. I for one did not appriate the new imperium system that put restrictions on how many armies agents and what not you could have. That do really hamper the experience. For me Shogun II was perfect in terms complexity in how you managed your faction and your characters.

The next game would, I hope, have scrapped the dumbed down system of faction and settlement management and moved it back towards a more sandbox approach
  • ArgonArgon Senior Member ItalyPosts: 1,463Registered Users
    RafSwi7 said:

The concept art makes me think that the new campaign pack will be for RomeII and be centered around Arminius and Germanicus or other campaing based on later Germanic Wars. Germanic factions have only one faction playable at the moment. It would be nice to see more of them.

As for the next standalone title... They have said that it will be set in era which has been already covered in Total War series, that they are fond of it and they have not done justice to it.

I guess it will be one of these (if based on Attila or RomeII engine):
    - Viking Invasion - already covered by CA in the past but IDK if it has "dramatically changed the course of history".
    - Mongol Invasion - important and already covered but it might end up as "Attila with Mongols".
    - Wars of Alexander the Great - short and important event, which has been already covered in as the expansion for RomeI. Still, they have also said it will be less character-based, so it might not be Alexander title.
    - Greco-Persian Wars (the second invasion) - very close to WoS campaign and important for Western Civilization. What is more WoS was not received as good as other campaign packs ("haven’t done enough justice to [this period]"). On the other hand it might be too similiar to Wrath of Sparta.

I don't think it's something they already used in an expansion, maybe is something the covered in one of their main titles but not good enough like the 100 years war (covered by medieval 2 but not well and it can be used to satisfy people asking for a medieval 3).

My favorite factions in TW titles:
    Rome 1 - House of Julii
    Medieval 2 - Milan
    Empire - England
    Napoleon - France
    Shogun 2 - Tokugawa
    Rome 2 - Macedon
    Attila - Western Roman Empire
    Warhammer - Empire (Karl Franz)
  • jamreal18jamreal18 Senior Member Posts: 8,209Registered Users
    edited June 2017
    Maybe 1 of these time periods....

Video removed. Interesting but it is both a political and a religious statement.
    Post edited by dge1 on
  • MetaBrazMetaBraz Posts: 3Registered Users
    I was really hoping for Kislev, and got my hopes up when I saw the announcement :(

Still, psyched for Warhammer 2
  • FredrinFredrin Senior Member LondonPosts: 3,012Registered Users
    Holy crap, @CA_Whelan , you have made me happy man today!

So, we have...

- An expansion to Attila to rival the mighty Charlemagne DLC
    - Lots of excellent work going into major personalities in the main historical (campaign depth FTW)
    - A whole standalone historical mini-campaign zooming in on a particularly dramatic chapter in a previously covered era (yes please, Empire/Napoleonic!)

Couldn't be happier. Take your sweet time with those campaign mechanics in the main game, CA. Those kind of mechanics are what great strategy games are made of!

• desertchampiondesertchampion Posts: 11Registered Users
    I think the man in the picture is related with germanic tribes,
    But com'on don't u think that there is a gap when you look at desert cultures (out of 10 cultures with others :p ) in Rome II ?(during the Attilla, Empires of the Sand was highly-positively rated)
    There is no representative playable faction belonging to desert nomads with feeling completed roster, unique technology tree and chapter objectives. Even numidia wasn't made playable despite the fact that we got WoS DLC although we had plenty of greek factions. I have been waiting for a long time that I will receive at least Masaesyli/numidians representative of desert factions. Never to mention that they would get unique unit rosters etc.

Let me bring you some old threads that many people wanted these factions as playable :
    https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/143633/any-playable-desert-faction-next-dlc-african-culture-pack
    https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/146128/desert-nomads-2015-rise-sons-of-the-desert
    https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/141040/desert-nomads-2014-support-the-cause
    https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/127104/desert-nomadic-faction-playable-release
    https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/126180/more-eastern-empires-and-add-some-desert-nomadic-tribes
    https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/139411/will-the-desert-nomadic-culture-ever-be-a-dlc
  • CommisarCommisar Senior Member Posts: 1,165Registered Users
    King Arthur campaign pack! XD
  • von_Luetzowvon_Luetzow Member Posts: 71Registered Users
    Does anyone know if the picture showing the high or late medieval battlefield scene is TW:Kingdoms-related? If not, which is what I personally hope for, it could be a hint to the upcoming flashpoint game (since the main historical team is working on a release in a yet untouched era).

Accordingly (if you take into account the HRE-style banners in the pic) my hint would be a flashpoint game centered around Barbarossa's Italy campaign. If he had succeeded in defeating the free Italian cities, this would have been a real historical game-changer, which is one of the characteristics CA has mentioned for their flashpoint releases. Plus: Doesn't that sunset look like Tuscany, good wine and cheese? ;)

As far as the next full historical release is concerned, CA has also mentioned something about a 'visually new' approach to the map. My - very vague - guess here: This could hint to something like a globe-like map, which again would support the assumptions of frozenmenbg and ESKEHL that the game could be set in the Victorian Age or the Age of Colonialism (unfortunately, however, not in Empire's 18th century, for CA has ruled that out for their next full release), since both settings more or less span the whole planet. What is more, both settings have not been touched upon yet by a previous TW game (if you exclude the Portuguese and Dutch meddling with Japan in Shogun I + II).

Oh, sweet speculation and pleasant anticipation... :) Well, whatever it is. I couldn't be more excited and hope we will learn more from CA's E3 presentation. Warhammer has been a nice distraction so far, but for me it's nothing more compared to a historical setting.
    edited June 2017

Does anyone know if the picture showing the high or late medieval battlefield scene is TW:Kingdoms-related? If not, which is what I personally hope for, it could be a hint to the upcoming flashpoint game (since the main historical team is working on a release in a yet untouched era).

PS: Or, second guess, the battlefield shows the first Battle of Tannenberg (obviously not WW1, but the one in 1410), where an outnumbered Teutonic Order force was defeated by the Polish and Lithunians (again, compare banners).
  • LUFC2806LUFC2806 Posts: 7Registered Users

PS: Or, second guess, the battlefield shows the first Battle of Tannenberg (obviously not WW1, but the one in 1410), where an outnumbered Teutonic Order force was defeated by the Polish and Lithunians (again, compare banners).

Thanks, LUFC2806. This makes things pretty clear - so much speculation about nothing - *sigh*...
    If Alexander is going to be made again, I hope by the point when he dies, you would be asked to choose which side of Diadaochi you want to play as and continue the game...
  • ShigawireShigawire Senior Member Norway, BrønnøysundPosts: 3,917Registered Users
    I think the concept art could suggest Julian the Apostate's campaign. Or the Marcomannic wars.
  • Half_Life_ExpertHalf_Life_Expert Senior Member Oak Park, CA , USAPosts: 4,686Registered Users
    This is great to hear! Thanks for the update!
    "we have officially entered into pre-whinning about our games."- Cogre

I will always respect differing opinions on here, so long as they are presented maturely and in a civil manner

"No Battleplan ever survives contact with the enemy"- Helmuth Von Moltke the Elder

The WWI Thread: https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/30914/why-a-world-war-i-themed-total-war/p1

I'm skipping TW: Warhammer
  • TayvarTayvar Posts: 9,846Registered Users
    MetaBraz said:

I was really hoping for Kislev, and got my hopes up when I saw the announcement :(

Well at least Kislev is so popular that CA had acknowledged Kislev anyway, and CA didn't said that they would not make an Kislev DLC later, especially if the next DLC would be successful. :)
    4 Fully Independent Monogods Armies would be great for a Storyline about the Great Game in Total War: Warhammer 3.
  • BennyMendtBennyMendt Senior Member Posts: 297Registered Users

As far as the next full historical release is concerned, CA has also mentioned something about a 'visually new' approach to the map. My - very vague - guess here: This could hint to something like a globe-like map,

Age of Discovery is a safe bet.

• Psycho_VPsycho_V Registered User Posts: 503Registered Users
    Shigawire said:

I think the concept art could suggest Julian the Apostate's campaign. Or the Marcomannic wars.

My thoughts exactly! ... equipment looks 1st to early 3rd C AD to me.

"Ask not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for THEE!" - (John Donne, 1572 – 1631, Meditation 17)
  • Psycho_VPsycho_V Registered User Posts: 503Registered Users
    edited June 2017
    ESKEHL said:

If Empire II is the new historical game, I will be ohh so happy! :)

Yer I'd love a redone / more accurate ETW. I'm a particular sucker for Bourbon French & the Indian Wars in North America.

:p
    "Ask not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for THEE!" - (John Donne, 1572 – 1631, Meditation 17)
  • LaytonBhoyLaytonBhoy Junior Member Posts: 158Registered Users
    Two of the greatest wars in the history of Rome - the two civil wars, haven't been covered at all in R2.

The wars of the First and Second Triumvate.

We covered the third civil war - the battle to be come Emperor - and it's a fantastic campaign. But the wars of Caesar and Octavian/Antony offer great scope for a "flashpoint" story.

My only worry is that it might not tie in with the artwork released, and that, certainly in the case of the Second Triumvate, the war was spread across so many locations that it might not be viable unless it's a substantial map.
  • grafedwingrafedwin Posts: 1Registered Users
    I will venture a guess that the historical Flashpoint game is going to center around the year 1066.

It was briefly touched on in the tutorial in Medieval II but not given enough justice.....

Historically there were two battles in a span of a month that significantly altered the the course of England.

Plus CA's headquarters is a stone's throw away from the Hastings Battlefield.
  • stilikestilike Posts: 5Registered Users
    I think it could finally be a dlc about Third Century Imperial Crisis
    DLC is obviously for Attila, I only hope that it will be a grand campaign map.

Flashpoint game - I think that is either a return to early modern era, but that would probably require whole set of new ideas or re-do and refine some of the old ideas from E:TW. I do think that 18th century fits the character of a flashpoint event. Remember that they called both Atilla and Napoleon flashpoint games. So it could be a game that stretches over a century.

However this all comes down to what theme the next yet-unannounced major release in the historical game series will have? I do think that Victoria could be credible, if they could manage to create a world map without making sweeping gneralisations about countries regions and borders such as they did in E:TW.

My best guess is though that the new major game is set in the Age of sails with all new functions and faction management, and the flashpoint game is a game set in some time period which is easily adopted by the present engine and gameplay style used in Rome II, Atilla and now Warhammer
  • Bura89Bura89 Senior Member Pisaurum, ItalyPosts: 596Registered Users
    "We are planning to set this in an era we have already visited, but will cover a particular period we are very fond of and haven’t done enough justice to yet."

Which particular period are they fond of? I would say medieval era.
    Since CA said they're not making a third main game set in an already visited time maybe this flashpoint game could be our opportunity to get a new medieval centered game...or maybe they're just skipping the 3rd and going full production with Medieval 4!
    I do actually think that iwould be a loss if CA didn`t return to the Medieval Era properly.

In this time-period there is much to explore. And not to mention the vast technological leap. Gunpowder for example. Medieval II itself was a great game. With the gameplay mechanics developed since then, with Shogun II and Attila as good examples in my opinion, there is the chance of a life time to make a great, enduring and good looking TW game.

For me, Empire could have been great, and I think if it was rerelaased with more features, and a more intruiging grand campaign map, that would work well for me. I wouldn`t desire to much more..
    edited June 2017
    I hope the next historical game is being made in new game engine....

New game engine that is made 64bit CPU and uses DX12.......more animations, improved unit collision, better graphics, more men in a unit...
    Post edited by jamreal18 on
  • Bura89Bura89 Senior Member Pisaurum, ItalyPosts: 596Registered Users
    jamreal18 said:

I hope the next historical game is being made in new game engine....

The next main historical game probably will, the upcoming flashpoint one won't.
  • twc01twc01 Senior Member Posts: 465Registered Users
    to bad, i saw nothing of middle earth total war.
    “If you come across your enemy’s ox or donkey wandering off, be sure to return it. If you see the donkey of someone who hates you fallen down under its load, do not leave it there; be sure you help them with it.
    exodus 23 4-5