Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

How to check my system is running the correct GPU for warhammer.

markkent91markkent91 Junior MemberRegistered Users Posts: 6
Hi all,

How can I absolutely make sure Warhammer is running using my 970M Nvidia card. I have gone into the Nvidia control panel, selected the high performance graphics card and applied it to Warhammer but I am still not convinced it is using it??

The other card is the Intel HD Graphics 530 which is the onboard graphics. under the display device menu in the screenshot below, the onboard intel card is listed first.

Does that mean my system is using this first as default or list order makes no difference?

if i disable the intel 530 card, would the laptop then been forced to use the 970 ?

Apologies if my questions sound silly - Not a computer expert

CPU - i7 - 6700HQ
16GB Memory
Nvidia 970M
Windows 10
DX 12

Comments

• BillyRuffianBillyRuffian Moderator UKRegistered Users, Moderators, Knights Posts: 36,700
    Check your preferences.script and gfx.log.

"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts - for support rather than illumination." (Andrew Lang)

|Takeda| Yokota Takatoshi

Forum Terms and Conditions: - https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest

"We wunt be druv". iot6pc7dn8qs.png
  • markkent91markkent91 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 6
    I was following the support guidlines on Sega's website regarding graphics card

a).Scroll down to "Display Devices" in your txt.
    b).Is the graphics card that you expect/want the game to use listed in this section?
    c).It should be the first and only device in this “Display Devices” section.
    d).If it is please go to point #3.
    e).If another graphics card is listed here, that you do not want the game to use, (for example an on-board GPU, in a system that should also contain a separate, more powerful, discrete GPU) then please go to point #8.

Both the 970M and onboard Intel 530 are listed in this section with the intel 530 being listed FIRST.

a).Please scroll down until you find the “System Devices” section in your DxDiag.
    b).Is your graphics card listed in this section?
    c).If it is, please go to point #9.
    d).If it is not, please go to point #17.

The 970M is listed in system devices

9. It seems that you have a switchable graphics laptop computer:

a).This is a laptop that has both an on-board GPU and a separate, potentially more powerful, discrete GPU.
    b).In order for Warhammer to use your second discrete GPU, Warhammer needs to be added to your discrete graphics card driver’s list of applications.
    c).Please follow the detailed instructions given here to do this:

(1). If you have an AMD graphics card, please follow instructions here:

Setting a preferred Graphics processor with AMD

(2). If you have an Nvidia graphics card, please follow instructions here:

Setting a preferred Graphics processor with Nvidia

d).Also please connect your AC power cable to your laptop.
    e).Some laptop computers will not run with the second more powerful discrete graphics card unless connected to the mains AC.
    f).Now run Warhammer.
    g).Check that the game is running with your second discrete graphics card (GPU).
    h).If it is, go to point #19.
    i).If it is not, go to point #4.

The link to the Nvidia instructions is broekn....

• BillyRuffianBillyRuffian Moderator UKRegistered Users, Moderators, Knights Posts: 36,700

"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts - for support rather than illumination." (Andrew Lang)

|Takeda| Yokota Takatoshi

Forum Terms and Conditions: - https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest

"We wunt be druv". iot6pc7dn8qs.png
  • ronalburronalbur Registered Users Posts: 8
    Tips:

1. Go to Nvidia Control Panel and set PhysX settings: CPU.
    2. Go to Manage 3D settings (in the same Nvidia Control Panel), program settings , and set Power Management mode: Prefer maximum performance.
    3. In the game options, graphics, advance options, VFX details: low/medium.
    4. Screen space reflections: off.
    5. Shadow details: ultra.
    6. The most important Antialiasing: FXAA.
    7. Unlimited video memory unchecked.

With this tips you will get huge improvements in your game.
  • markkent91markkent91 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 6
    Thank you all for the advice and to clarify I was following the correct procedure .

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file