Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

New units for Wood Elves

Comments

• Combat_WombatCombat_Wombat Registered Users Posts: 4,092
    edited July 2017
    Canuovea said:

Meese, moose, mooses (all valid plural forms of moose), whatever, will mess up a car.

So yeah. Meese are scary.

I knew the elves couldn't be trusted. They send mooses and meese to wreck our cars! Excuse me while I go burn down this really big glowy tree.
    Post edited by Combat_Wombat on
  • Jam#4399Jam#4399 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 13,068

jamreal18 said:

The Great Stag...

Looks like a glorified moose

• JavorJavor Registered Users Posts: 910
    Aren't wood elves, apart from maybe Bretonnia, the most complete faction?

Other than LLs, what more are they missing?
  • PetromirPetromir Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,157
    Javor said:

Aren't wood elves, apart from maybe Bretonnia, the most complete faction?

Other than LLs, what more are they missing?

At least one Lord and one Hero (and that's counting wizards of different lores as one missing thing where the game and CA's DLC/FLC policy doesnt really.) (Oh and Battle Standard Bearers like all the factions).

Regular unit wise pretty much complete though, though they are missing RoR like all the DLC factions.
  • MrMecHMrMecH Registered Users Posts: 2,415
    More Woodelves LL = yeah
    More Woodelves units = nope

Their roster are very very completed now.
    SHUT UP GIVE US GHORGON!!!!!

• NemoxNemox Registered Users Posts: 2,901
    MrMecH said:

More Woodelves LL = yeah

Gotta save some love for the Beastmen.
  • IcestrugleIcestrugle Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,257
    Nemox said:

MrMecH said:

More Woodelves LL = yeah

Gotta save some love for the Beastmen.
    Show love to Beastmen !!!
  • AJH1987AJH1987 Registered Users Posts: 216
    MrMecH said:

More Woodelves LL = yeah

Apart from the Glade Riders with Asrai Spears (they badly need) and any regiments of renown. Which has been pointed out repeatedly.
  • AJH1987AJH1987 Registered Users Posts: 216
    To be honest, Glade Riders with swiftshiver shards or star fire shafts should exist too. They're basically useless right now (for both missiles and in combat)
  • TayvarTayvar Registered Users Posts: 12,455

Tayvar said:

While I would bet that we will see some free lords for Wood Elves, in particular Ariel for the lore of Dark Magic (which she has) , I kinda doubt that they are going for spell-lords or the missing heroes.

Keep in mind that they want to keep certain characters and heroes special.

Or they just being lazy about it, I tend to bet on the more Charlemagne-Like reason for that. :)
    Considering how much flc they did...I really doubt that.

I would not want a doombull for example...there are already the gorebulls.

They also stated that the reason they didn't do Savage and Black Ork Waaaghboss is because they are just simple varations with no deeper point to them. Grimgor is a blackork waaaghboss, the normal one isn't.

So why would you add a demonslayer lord if you already have ungrim. But a hero option for slayer would be nice though.

Look at the necromancers... who uses them for lords?... You already got 2 legendary necromancer lords...why would you take a generic one?....

If you had generic metal sorcerers...would balthasar be of relevance?
    Balthasar Gelt should have much higher power level then Generic Gold Wizard, as Balthasar Gelt is the Current Supreme Patriarch, but the magic is quite weak in Total War and there is no power levels, Every Wizard is more or less the same, and that's the real problem here. Also the Lore of Metal in specific have an history of being underpowered in Total War, for no good reason. So Balthasar Gelt tend to not be relevant in any case. Heinrich Kemmler also known for being underpowered in Total War, and it's also had much more to do with power level then it's to do with uniqueness. Heinrich Kemmler is Lore-Wise the most powerful Mortal Necromancer, but we don't see that in Total War's gameplay mechanics. In the End of the day it's still Charlemagne-Like reason, as it should not be like that. Also the difference between Doombull and Gorebull is still bigger gameplay-wise then the difference between male and female Glade Lords.

http://warhammerfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Heinrich_Kemmler

http://warhammerfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Balthasar_Gelt

• TheGuardianOfMetalTheGuardianOfMetal Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 14,701
    SiWI said:

Tayvar said:

blaat said:

Tayvar said:

PaulH said:

Bies said:

I think they will come with Ariel

Considering how Popular the Glady (Female Glade Lord) , Fey Enchantress, and Isabella have become in Multiplayer, it really makes sense for CA to add more Female lords. These Lords play really differently from the others. It's a pity that Empire doesn't have any female lords.
    There are female LL's.
    The Empire don't have Female Legendary Lords in it's Main Armybook, because they more traditional then Elves and Vampires, and the Empire's Females are normal for the most part, so they don't have the abilities the Elves and Vampires tend to have. Anyway I am totally okey with CA giving the Wood Elves Casters and Extra Agile Fighters roles for Females, as it's makes sense, I don't feel the absence of Spell Weaver and Shadowdancers, and they would likely be 'Purely Aesthetic Gender' Models anyway.

http://warhammerfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Empire_of_Man#Notable_Characters
    Elspeth von Draken.

not in the main army book which is his point
    His point is irrelevant. 8th Edition canon and legal for tournaments.
    When CA would start adding Forgeworld Characters we shall talk, as it's didn't happen yet. :)
    Technically CA did use somewhere Forgeworld models for a unit, thou I don't remember which one and that unit did have "regular" models as well.
    I think it was the Squig Mount of the Gobbo Hero
    The Empire still hasn't gotten their FLC LL. We need Marius Leitdorf of Averland!

Where is Boris Todbringer? Have you seen him? For a Middenland DLC with Boris and the Ar-Ulric!

Every wrong is recorded. Every slight against us, page after page, ETCHED IN BLOOD!

Queek could smell their hatred, ratcheted to a degree that even he could not evoke in their simple hearts. He stepped over the old orange-fur’s body, eager to see for himself what it was they saw. But he heard it first.
    'Waaaaaaaggh! Gorfang!'
  • DalakhDalakh Senior Member FranceRegistered Users Posts: 1,937
    lucibuis said:

Dalakh said:

If there is one unit I want to see it's a melee variant for the Glade Riders. Give us a cheap melee light cav alternative to Wild Riders please.

That aside everything that's missing to the WE is:

- All missing basic lores of magic plus High and Dark
    - Great Stag mount option
    - Spellweaver Lord
    - Shadowdancer Hero (melee+lore of shadow caster, bit redundant with the Branchwraith atm due to how they gave it a mix of life/shadow)
    - Glade Captain Hero (hero level glade lord basically but contrary to the Waystalker he can have mounts such as elven steed and great eagle but doesn't have snipe or vanguard)

Then with the weapon options:
    - Glade Riders (Asrai Spears) (basically just a melee version, not necessarily AP)
    - Glade Guard (Swiftshiver Shards, Trueflight Arrows)
    - Glade Riders (Starfire Shafts, Swiftshiver Shards, Trueflight Arrows)
    - Deepwood Scouts (Hagbane Tips, Starfire Shafts, Trueflight Arrows)

what do trueflight arrows do?

Deepwood scouts with starfire shafts, wouldn't that basically make them waywatchers?

Glade riders asrai spears are needed, WE need an anti large cavarly very badly
    Trueflight arrows technically are guided arrows. They could either increase range or accuracy or even have a bit of tracking in TWW.

AP deepwood scouts would indeed step a lot on the Waywatchers toes expect vs magical resistant stuff but I'm not saying all of these should be added, just providing a complete list of what is missing from TT.

I don't think melee Glade riders should be AP or even have BvsL. They should be like Ellyrian Reavers. Fragile, very fast and cheap.
    "We shall strike down our foes with sharp steel and cold hearts. The weak die so that the strong prevail and none shall be spared. Then and only then will our enemies know the true meaning of fear."

— Malekith, Witch King of Naggaroth
  • bigopzookabigopzooka Registered Users Posts: 63
    Ever since the woodelves were released I was disappointed in the dryads they died too quickly. I am a campaign player and I like doing thematic armies and I always want to do a treekin only army but this is not very viable. Now here is the thing: the new AoS treekin look very cool to me and if it was possible to import models I would try to make them myself.
    The thing is I hate that AoS had to destroy the lore of the world and the world all together but I like some of the new units (not really all of them -sigmarines-flying dwarfs-) so I am not really wanting them to do AoS units for any other races. But wouldn't the kurnos hunters etc fit in with the WHfantasy lore? I mean treespirits posses trees or smth and you would think they could take all kinds of shapes and sizes so why not bigger human-like and fashion durthu like swords. I mean Brettonnia got hippogryph riders, they already take some imagination to make all races interesting.
    Anyway it's just my idea and I expect nothing of course just wondering if others agree, but seeing as some would not even like a doombull I don't expect it. I just really like their models :p
  • Nazjax#2857Nazjax#2857 Registered Users Posts: 2,557
    They are maybe going to have few units like the Beastmen or chaos patch FLC.
  • lucibuis#6195lucibuis#6195 Registered Users Posts: 7,168

Ever since the woodelves were released I was disappointed in the dryads they died too quickly. I am a campaign player and I like doing thematic armies and I always want to do a treekin only army but this is not very viable. Now here is the thing: the new AoS treekin look very cool to me and if it was possible to import models I would try to make them myself.
    The thing is I hate that AoS had to destroy the lore of the world and the world all together but I like some of the new units (not really all of them -sigmarines-flying dwarfs-) so I am not really wanting them to do AoS units for any other races. But wouldn't the kurnos hunters etc fit in with the WHfantasy lore? I mean treespirits posses trees or smth and you would think they could take all kinds of shapes and sizes so why not bigger human-like and fashion durthu like swords. I mean Brettonnia got hippogryph riders, they already take some imagination to make all races interesting.
    Anyway it's just my idea and I expect nothing of course just wondering if others agree, but seeing as some would not even like a doombull I don't expect it. I just really like their models :p

I don't think there are treekins in age of sigmar, do you mean kurnoth hunters?
    Ariel only, no fads allowed.

• bigopzookabigopzooka Registered Users Posts: 63
    lucibuis said:

I don't think there are treekins in age of sigmar, do you mean kurnoth hunters?
    Yeah I referred to all the tree spirits as treekin my fault. I indeed meant the Kurnoth Hunters. The other models with spirits sticking out I am less interested in...
    MrMecH said:

More Woodelves LL = yeah

they have 22 units and 5 heroes, 3 lords, 2 LLs

Beastmen have:

22 units, 4 heroes (?), not sure how many lords, 3 LLs

looks to me they are as bad as beastmen if not worse in terms of being complete and having a good roster

• MrMecHMrMecH Registered Users Posts: 2,415
    edited July 2017
    lucibuis said:

they have 22 units and 5 heroes, 3 lords, 2 LLs

Beastmen have:

22 units, 4 heroes (?), not sure how many lords, 3 LLs

looks to me they are as bad as beastmen if not worse in terms of being complete and having a good roster

Woodelves have totally 22 units. Cut out varied weapon 7 units, then totally 15 new units.

Now look at the Beastmen. Beastmen have totally 21 units. Cut out varied weapon 7 units and imported 4 units from Chaos roster, then just totally 10 new units. Beastmen also has only ONE lord.

Woodelves just lack some mount choice and hero but all units are in the game already (include over roster with forest dragon). The last thing I want for them is LL and more magic lores.
    Post edited by MrMecH on
    SHUT UP GIVE US GHORGON!!!!!

• Sultschiem#8734Sultschiem#8734 Registered Users Posts: 3,499
    Tayvar said:

Balthasar Gelt should have much higher power level then Generic Gold Wizard, as Balthasar Gelt is the Current Supreme Patriarch, but the magic is quite weak in Total War and there is no power levels, Every Wizard is more or less the same, and that's the real problem here. Also the Lore of Metal in specific have an history of being underpowered in Total War, for no good reason. So Balthasar Gelt tend to not be relevant in any case. Heinrich Kemmler also known for being underpowered in Total War, and it's also had much more to do with power level then it's to do with uniqueness. Heinrich Kemmler is Lore-Wise the most powerful Mortal Necromancer, but we don't see that in Total War's gameplay mechanics. In the End of the day it's still Charlemagne-Like reason, as it should not be like that. Also the difference between Doombull and Gorebull is still bigger gameplay-wise then the difference between male and female Glade Lords.

http://warhammerfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Heinrich_Kemmler

http://warhammerfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Balthasar_Gelt

I understand that, believe me and in the tabletop, many of these lord- and hero choices make sense. I completely understand that.

And yet... certain things are hard to translate into a videogame with a progressive campaign.

They did not decide to translate the tabletop magic system that closely into the game so the "wizard-level" is hard to apply. There are other things like item- and additional ability choices.

Also keep in mind, that they hugely focus on the campaign rather than multiplayer, while tabletop is purely multiplayer.

There needs to be some progression happening, and having a Black Ork Waaaghboss as an outright upgraded version of the regular waaaghboss, is hard to translate....you would need to get rid of your regular waaaghboss to replace him with a blackork... that would kinda suck, no?

Wizards are also incredible weak early as they cannot duel except for lore of death, lore of vampires (healing) and lore of fire (fireballs).
    Do beastmen have manticores? Because I count 22 units

Anyways it's clear both of these factions got the short end of the stick. I'm not expert but I guess they were kind of minor factions in the table top?

In any case wood elves lack many variations that are very easy to implement because they use existing models, and many lords and heroes.

• Commissar_G#7535Commissar_G#7535 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 15,826
    lucibuis said:

Do beastmen have manticores? Because I count 22 units

Anyways it's clear both of these factions got the short end of the stick. I'm not expert but I guess they were kind of minor factions in the table top?

In any case wood elves lack many variations that are very easy to implement because they use existing models, and many lords and heroes.

Wood Elves did not get the short end of the stick.
    MarcusLivius: You are indeed a lord of entitlement.
    Wood Elves got the premium treatment.....

Not only did they get 2 differently focussed factions with the wood spirit focussed durthu and the elven focussed orion, but they even got an extra unit in their roster as a seperate unit with the Forest Dragon and the first unit with "bound spells" in the form of the sisters of thorn and different ammunition, as well as the first ranged-lord with the glade lord/orion even including flying option for them too.

However I think there CAN still be stuff added that might be of interest or at least some extensions

Such as the breath attack of the forest dragon, which will be added for the combined campaign in game 2,
    or a regeneration-ability for the treekin/treeman (similar to coldblood --> lowers their defense, but replenishes health)

However the Warriors of Chaos are the faction in need of the most love right now. Even the beastmen are fine compared to them.

What the WoC need are units like the Slaughterbrute (essentially like varghulfs but with berserk instead of low leadership), the Chaos Warshrine, Marks of Chaos and the unique chaos lores
    Warrior of chaos have 27 units, many lords, many lls

How are wood elves complete when they miss many weapon options?

• TheGhostOfProman16TheGhostOfProman16 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,749
    I could see Wood Elves getting some FLC with the Tomb Kings DLC they should atleast get truefire arrows Glade Guard maybe Glade Riders to and if CA is nice give them all the magic lores as well since High and Dark magic will be out
    Died during the great YOYO wars
  • PhilBowlesPhilBowles Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,237

Tayvar said:

blaat said:

Tayvar said:

PaulH said:

Bies said:

Considering how Popular the Glady (Female Glade Lord) , Fey Enchantress, and Isabella have become in Multiplayer, it really makes sense for CA to add more Female lords. These Lords play really differently from the others. It's a pity that Empire doesn't have any female lords.
    There are female LL's.
    The Empire don't have Female Legendary Lords in it's Main Armybook, because they more traditional then Elves and Vampires, and the Empire's Females are normal for the most part, so they don't have the abilities the Elves and Vampires tend to have. Anyway I am totally okey with CA giving the Wood Elves Casters and Extra Agile Fighters roles for Females, as it's makes sense, I don't feel the absence of Spell Weaver and Shadowdancers, and they would likely be 'Purely Aesthetic Gender' Models anyway.

Elspeth von Draken.

When CA would start adding Forgeworld Characters we shall talk, as it's didn't happen yet. :)
    There's a video out there called 'Lizardmen Roster reveal' or something similar which shows one or two things which don't exist anywhere in the tabletop. Forgeworld is beyond the pale, why?
    Haven't seen the video, but the full roster appears to have been revealed:

https://www.totalwar.com/blog/lizardmen-army-roster/

There's nothing here that isn't in the tabletop game as far as I can tell with the exception of Feral Cold Ones and feral (unmounted) versions of a couple of bigger monsters. In every case these just need slight variants of units whose images and stats will have already been coded, they aren't all-new entities.
    lucibuis said:

Dude the number of units is not freaking relevant, is the gameplay diversity and aspects they have/not have that truly utilizes the units to their full potential.

Wood Elves got all their major stuff except for Ariel (legendary lord with lore of dark) and Dragon Breath Attack.

Warriors of Chaos lack the following MAJOR stuff:
    - Demon prince lord
    - Marks of Chaos
    - Skullcrushers
    - Hellstriders
    - Lore of Tzeentch, Nurgle and Slaanesh (coming with their fitting lord and mount-option)
    - Chaos Warshrine (has a bound spell....)
    - Slaughterbrute/Vortex Beast
  • PetromirPetromir Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,157

lucibuis said:

Dude the number of units is not freaking relevant, is the gameplay diversity and aspects they have/not have that truly utilizes the units to their full potential.

Wood Elves got all their major stuff except for Ariel (legendary lord with lore of dark) and Dragon Breath Attack.

- Demon prince lord
    - Marks of Chaos
    - Skullcrushers
    - Hellstriders
    - Lore of Tzeentch, Nurgle and Slaanesh (coming with their fitting lord and mount-option)
    While WoC are lacking more, the WE missing generic Lord choice is fairly major, while magic is often underwhelming a Elf Lord caster would be amazing (and a good fit to turn up with Ariel). (WE also lack more lrores than you mentioned).
  • irurobinirurobin Registered Users Posts: 1,826
    Need Ariel, Sisters of twilight and RoRs....T3T
  • DalakhDalakh Senior Member FranceRegistered Users Posts: 1,937

Tayvar said:

blaat said:

Tayvar said:

PaulH said:

Bies said:

There are female LL's.

Elspeth von Draken.

There's a video out there called 'Lizardmen Roster reveal' or something similar which shows one or two things which don't exist anywhere in the tabletop. Forgeworld is beyond the pale, why?
    Haven't seen the video, but the full roster appears to have been revealed:

https://www.totalwar.com/blog/lizardmen-army-roster/

There's nothing here that isn't in the tabletop game as far as I can tell with the exception of Feral Cold Ones and feral (unmounted) versions of a couple of bigger monsters. In every case these just need slight variants of units whose images and stats will have already been coded, they aren't all-new entities.
    Revivification Crystal anybody ?
    "We shall strike down our foes with sharp steel and cold hearts. The weak die so that the strong prevail and none shall be spared. Then and only then will our enemies know the true meaning of fear."

— Malekith, Witch King of Naggaroth
  • NemoxNemox Registered Users Posts: 2,901
    edited July 2017
    Petromir said:

lucibuis said:

- Demon prince lord
    - Marks of Chaos
    - Skullcrushers
    - Hellstriders
    While WoC are lacking more, the WE missing generic Lord choice is fairly major, while magic is often underwhelming a Elf Lord caster would be amazing (and a good fit to turn up with Ariel). (WE also lack more lrores than you mentioned).
    Well we know why WE didn't have high/dark. Even the HE won't be getting access to all lores. Maybe at some point as they have done in the past.

Other then that, I really cannot see how anyone could argue that WE are in need of more work in comparison to Beastmen and WoC. The Realm of the wood elves is ahead of the Beastmen dlc in value for money. I wouldn't recommend the beastmen dlc unless you are a huge fan of theirs. Even then the tinge of disappointment will be felt far more.