Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

A Total War Saga – Announce Blog

CA_WhelanCA_Whelan Posts: 563Registered Users, Moderators, Administrators, CA Staff, SuperAdmin, Community Team
edited July 5 in News and Announcements!
Today we’re thrilled to announce a new class of historical Total War game. Released under a new badge, Total War Saga games will be standalone spin-off titles focusing on exciting pivotal moments in history rather than whole historical eras.

I sat down with the game director on our first Total War Saga game, Jack Lusted, to find out what kind of Total War experience fans can expect from his team here:

https://www.totalwar.com/blog/a-total-war-saga-announce-blog/

Comments

• JSA2422JSA2422 Posts: 1Registered Users
    I really like this approach, more specific content and detail.

now what's the next one!!
  • IncubusDragonIncubusDragon Senior Member Behind Enemy Lines... ...a Scotsman in LondonPosts: 1,102Registered Users
    Sounds like fun ;)
    [PORTABLE-ID]IncubusDragon[/PORTABLE-ID]
    Disorder arises from order, Cowardice arises from courage, Weakness arises from strength - Sun Tzu
    Incubus Dragon |Ronin|
    Click me for Shogun 2 Custom Maps
  • jamreal18jamreal18 Senior Member Posts: 6,218Registered Users
    edited July 5
    Is this the flashpoint?

Sorry I asked because the link before was not working but it's ok now....
  • BillyRuffianBillyRuffian Moderator UKPosts: 31,544Registered Users, Moderators, Knights
    jamreal18 said:

Is this the flashpoint?

Jack: Our team is the Flashpoint project team mentioned in that blog, and our game will be out first.

"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts - for support rather than illumination." (Andrew Lang)

|Takeda| Yokota Takatoshi

Forum Terms and Conditions: - https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest

"We wunt be druv". iot6pc7dn8qs.png
  • CA_WhelanCA_Whelan Posts: 563Registered Users, Moderators, Administrators, CA Staff, SuperAdmin, Community Team
    jamreal18 said:

Is this the flashpoint?

It is indeed
    edited July 5
    CA_Whelan said:

jamreal18 said:

Is this the flashpoint?

It is indeed
    How about the Campaign Pack?

I thought there are 3 projects in production....

-campaign pack
    -major historical
    -flashpoint
  • CnConradCnConrad Senior Member Posts: 2,425Registered Users
    Very good sounds like a nice 2018 bridge
    Hopefully it is a$19.99- $29.99 game.

But with Jack At the helm I'm sure the quality will be there.
  • ArgonArgon Senior Member ItalyPosts: 1,282Registered Users
    yea, I really like the idea :)
    My favorite factions in TW titles:
    Rome 1 - House of Julii
    Medieval 2 - Milan
    Empire - England
    Napoleon - France
    Shogun 2 - Tokugawa
    Rome 2 - Macedon
    Attila - Western Roman Empire
    Warhammer - Empire (Karl Franz)
  • KrilralKrilral Member Posts: 699Registered Users
    So correct me if I'm wrong, but what I take away from this is:

-It will be a stand-alone game (i.e. not an expansion pack or DLC)?
    -It will be set in the "Roman Empire"-era, but after the time-frame of Rome 2?
    -It will be around the same size as Attila or Fall of the Samurai?

Sounds pretty good to me. I'm definitely excited to see what they come up with.
  • ShermanSherman Member Posts: 595Registered Users

This can work, if they are titles with an affordable price, the idea is good, but if they are not major titles, and we can expect many of those, they can't be 59.99€

I hope something like 19.99€ honestly if they are nothing totally new, maybe 29.99€ if they add some little feature.
  • MattzoMattzo Member United KingdomPosts: 821Registered Users
    Sounds amazing to me, and I can't wait.
    "Everything in war is simple. But the simplest thing is difficult."
  • DreadedNorwegianDreadedNorwegian Senior Member Posts: 1,154Registered Users
    Badass.
    No retreat,No surrender! FORWARD!!
    Til Valhall!
  • cidas61cidas61 Junior Member Posts: 18Registered Users
    Multiplay ? avatar or new mode ? or same classic multi ?
  • SeteSete Junior Member Posts: 8Registered Users
    I'll leave my idea for a Saga:

Alfonso de Albuquerque and the Portuguese Asian Empire.

Afonso is generally considered a military genius,[8][9] and "probably the greatest naval commander of the age"[10] given his successful strategy—he attempted to close all the Indian Ocean naval passages to the Atlantic, Red Sea, Persian Gulf, and to the Pacific, transforming it into a Portuguese mare clausum established over the opposition of the Ottoman Empire and its Muslim and Hindu allies.[11] In the expansion of the Portuguese Empire, Afonso initiated a rivalry that would become known as the Ottoman–Portuguese war, which would endure for many years. Many of the Ottoman–Portuguese conflicts in which he was directly involved took place in the Indian Ocean, in the Persian Gulf regions for control of the trade routes, and on the coasts of India. It was his military brilliance in these initial campaigns against the much larger Ottoman Empire and its allies that enabled Portugal to become the first global empire in history.[12] He had a record of engaging and defeating much larger armies and fleets. For example, his capture of Ormuz in 1507 against the Persians was accomplished with a fleet of seven ships.[13] Other famous battles and offensives which he led include the conquest of Goa in 1510 and the capture of Malacca in 1511. He became admiral of the Indian Ocean, and was appointed head of the "fleet of the Arabian and Persian sea" in 1506.[2]
  • MasqueradeMasquerade Posts: 292Registered Users
    Boring where is the warhammer news.
  • MemnonMemnon Senior Member Posts: 446Registered Users
    CnConrad said:

But with Jack At the helm I'm sure the quality will be there.

Its nothing personally to Jack Lusted-but You forgot about Rome II?Im hope they take lesson and You @CnConrad right.
    Cant wait for information.

• seienchinseienchin Senior Member Posts: 4,321Registered Users
    edited July 5
    Great but I still wonder why they see Fall of the Samurai as "total war saga material" but Shogun 2 not. Exactly the same format. One specific moment in Time (Sengoku Jidai, Boshin war)and a focussed area (Japan). Not to mention Napoleon TW, Alexander and pretty much all the addons from Rome 2 and Attila...

Well maybe it is a way of producing TW games that do not have the variety and scope of stuff like rome 2 without making people complain that the games content is too limited. In that case I am all for it!!!
    Sete said:

Nothing against Alfonso but this is probably WAY too niche. CA needs to sell the game and the interest into the protugese empire could probably not be lower in today's world.

I mean we had "limited" TW games / addons for Alexander, Napoleon, Caesar, Justinian, the crusades and Charlemagne (among others...). I would expect something a little more known.
  • AeronauticoAeronautico Junior Member Posts: 7Registered Users
    edited July 5
    Will you guys consider renaming past TW games under the new label? To be precise, will Napoleon and Attila and possibly Fall of the Samurai (though it acts as DLC too) be named as such?
  • mitthrawnuruodomitthrawnuruodo Junior Member Posts: 383Registered Users
    Yet another blog post about upcoming historical titles, WITHOUT any concrete information about upcoming historical titles. Its getting tiresome.
  • CA_WhelanCA_Whelan Posts: 563Registered Users, Moderators, Administrators, CA Staff, SuperAdmin, Community Team

Will you guys consider renaming past TW games under the new label? To be precise, will Napoleon and Attila and possibly Fall of the Samurai (though it acts as DLC too) be named as such?

Nope, Atilla and Napoleon are character focused. Total War Sagas will be event specific instead. Although Fall of the Samurai is a good example we're not going to retroactively change the name
    seienchin said:

Great but I still wonder why they see Fall of the Samurai as "total war saga material" but Shogun 2 not. Exactly the same format. One specific moment in Time (Sengoku Jidai, Boshin war)and a focussed area (Japan). Not to mention Napoleon TW, Alexander and pretty much all the addons from Rome 2 and Attila...

Well maybe it is a way of producing TW games that do not have the variety and scope of stuff like rome 2 without making people complain that the games content is too limited. In that case I am all for it!!!

Sete said:

Nothing against Alfonso but this is probably WAY too niche. CA needs to sell the game and the interest into the protugese empire could probably not be lower in today's world.

I mean we had "limited" TW games / addons for Alexander, Napoleon, Caesar, Justinian, the crusades and Charlemagne (among others...). I would expect something a little more known.
    The Boshin War only lasted around a year whereas the Sengoku Jidai was more like a century. Saga games will be much more focused in terms of subject matter
    edited July 5
    Will the flashpoint going to be revealed before Warhammer 3 or after?

How I wish there are more news from historical department...

------

Jack: We’ll announce it properly in the next few months, but I can say that it’s another SPIRITUAL follow-up to Total War: ROME II, like Total War: ATTILA, and moves the time period forward in much the same way.

is Constantine involved in this game?
    Whenever it's about Rome and Spiritual, Constantine comes to my mind...
    Post edited by jamreal18 on
  • SbygneusSbygneus Posts: 471Registered Users
    they said:

Jack: We’ll announce it properly in the next few months, but I can say that it’s another spiritual follow-up to Total War: ROME II, like Total War: ATTILA, and moves the time period forward in much the same way

So its something like Viking or Mongol invasion? I mean relatively short period after Attila's time?

Please no, I really hoped for something like American Civil War or English Civil War. Not those bowmen, shields and swords again :(
  • SeteSete Junior Member Posts: 8Registered Users
    Niche? Something focused on the Asian continent, East Africa encompassing the Middle East aswell? I think there could be a market for it.
    But hey it's not about Napoleon or Leonidas,
    It's just about the guy that did what neither Ptolemy, nor Rome, nor Alexander was able, to see the fabled regions of the East Pacific.
    To achieve what had evaded Columbus' grasp — the wealth of the Orient, and began the longest empire in history (1515–1999) when Macau was given back to the Chinese.

But hey niche.

• CnConradCnConrad Senior Member Posts: 2,425Registered Users
    Sete said:

Niche? Something focused on the Asian continent, East Africa encompassing the Middle East aswell? I think there could be a market for it.
    But hey it's not about Napoleon or Leonidas,
    It's just about the guy that did what neither Ptolemy, nor Rome, nor Alexander was able, to see the fabled regions of the East Pacific.
    To achieve what had evaded Columbus' grasp — the wealth of the Orient, and began the longest empire in history (1515–1999) when Macau was given back to the Chinese.

But hey niche.

I'm afraid you are vastly overstating the importance and you use Empire very loosely.

They were only the 10 the largest empire with the vast majority of their land being the forests of Brazil. Without Brazil their "empire" would not register in the top 100.

Brazil is 3.29 million sq miles and all of Portugal's empire was 4.02 million sq miles.

And since the 1800's all they did was lose land.

Not taking anything away from Portugal but that not exactly exciting total war gameplay.
  • MorSMorS Junior Member RussiaPosts: 15Registered Users
    Jesus C! it's historical total war!

• StrachysStrachys Senior Member Posts: 246Registered Users
    edited July 5
    If it IS more of the 'Fall of the Samurai' format then it has the potential to be good otherwise I am sceptical and feel the resources would be better spent on the fully fledged historical titles and really nailing those.
  • MrMecHMrMecH Posts: 1,223Registered Users
    Can we hope for another patches fixing Attila FPS drop.
    Beastmen roster need update. They look so lackluster when compared with other races. Give us Ghorgon please.

• dge1dge1 Moderator Arkansas, USAPosts: 13,036Registered Users, Moderators, Knights
    I'm one that will have to wait and see I guess. Fall of the Samurai was Ok for me. What I personally don't want to see happen is a "one-and-done" play feature.

One of the major reasons I got involved with the games Creative Assembly produced, many years ago, was being able to play the game repeatedly and it feel new each time. Quite a few of the recent 'add-ons' to the relatively recent Rome II and Attila have not been that way.

Quite possibibly I've been spoiled with the sandbox features that seem to underlie the base games (I don't use mods nor want to) but if these new 'campaigns' are a scripted or linear thing like the first Alexander load of crap then I'll have to pass.

Waiting to see and hoping for the best.
    "The two most common things in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity." - Harlan Ellison
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." - Hubert H. Humphrey
    "Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin
  • Sebor02Sebor02 Posts: 280Registered Users
    Any good guesses what It can be?

- it is based on Rome 2 (like Atilla)
    - it is based on a short period of time that has been been done before but not done enough justice to
    - It is set after the Rome 2 period but I am guessing set before the middle ages as that would require new technologies.
    - it is a period that lasts a few months to a few years to several decades maximum. However! The way they are talking about it seems though that this specific flashpoint game will be a shorter time period while some of the future time periods might last up to several decades.

Potential guesses:
    - Roman conquest of Britain (unlikely 53 year time frame)
    - Roman Parthian war (5 year time frame)
    - Macromannic wars (14 year time frame)
    - - war against germanic tribes (270 - 271 AD)

And plenty other wars possible. I considered Viking Invasion but then again that time period would be too long. I also considered the Cimbrian wars ((113–101 BC) but that would be set before rome 2 really.

Another option could be the Norman conquesst which lasted about 6 - 7 years. This could be built on Rome 2 like Atilla and Charlemange while still being set right before the middle ages.

what does everyone think?